Outdoors
Sponsored by

***** Waterfowl Season 2018 - 19 *****

40,371 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gonemaroon
PharmD4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured we should get this thread started for pics and reports for the 2018-19 season. My season won't start until next weekend, but South Zone opens today. Anybody in the blind? Any reports?

Best time of the year is here!
Michael Shumard
Slow start to season. Blanked in Pleasanton.

Our lake is usually pretty good, guessing with all this water there are other places for them to be
fightingfarmer09
War zone on the Garwood prairie. My kid kept asking what the noise was while watching his morning cartoons.

I said "guns" and he replied "bad shots".
dr_boogs
AG
I support this thread!
Post removed:
by user
Preacher 98
6 man limits in Matagorda County
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Ag 11
AG
Great morning. I limited out, father in law & a couple of his friends added in the rest.

DDSO
FrontPorchAg
It's been mostly local birds in Nevada. Warm temps in the NW has slowed the migration. Still great to get out:

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
AgBQ-00
AG
Scouted my spot today water is way up glad I went because my primary is cutoff right now. Secondary is good will be easy yo find cover in some brush /trees that are now at the edge of the water
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Post removed:
by user
SanAntoneAg
AG
Did you give it a go this morning? I hunt a small tank in Bexar Co., thinking that all the water has them spread out.
Gig 'em! '90
Michael Shumard
no. after saturday i just mailed it in
hurricanejake02
AG
Near Port Lavaca we had 4 groups with 4-man limits on Saturday. One group done in 30 minutes, we took an hour. Last group came in about 10:30. Mostly BWT, few spoonies, gads, and a redhead. Constant ones and twos coming in - largest group of birds we saw was about six.

Sunday we had to sit through the front to get our birds, but we got 'em.

Two 4-man blinds and 2 3-man blinds, all with full straps. Still mostly BWT, but added a few GWT, gads, and widgeon. A few bigger groups riding the front, but still mostly 2-4 birds per group.

No spoonies on Sunday, but one of the kids on the lease did need a couple bluebills to fill out his strap.

PharmD4
AG
Nice
Silky Johnston
I will be making my first attempt at duck hunting this weekend at our place in Seguin over a small pond. I have low expectations, but trying to increase my odds of seeing birds.

What kind of birds should I expect to see? I bought a set of 6 cheap mallard decoys and that is about the extent of my duck gear. Any suggestions on a cheap duck call, or should I just stick with the decoys? Any other tips?
Ragoo
AG
No calls

If you see anything it will be early and birds just "passing by" most likely.

We are down near stockdale and will see blue-wing teal, Whistler ducks, a few gadwall and similar.

Very unlikely to see mallard.

If I were you, I'd get a teal mojo and some dove mojos maybe toss out 3 decoys. And that's it.
Post removed:
by user
saltydog13
AG
The 6 in 1 whistle, but being brand new I think the consensus would be don't call at all. A jerk rig for motion would probably be beneficial
Post removed:
by user
Silky Johnston
Thanks for the responses! Looks like I will hold off on buying a call and will be picking up a mojo teal decoy at Academy after work. Just curious about the suggestion to use mojo dove decoys as well. Does this just add more motion to attract birds?
water turkey
Probably see mostly gadwall. They love stock tanks.

You don't need to call on a small tank. They are either coming there already or they aren't.
FrontPorchAg
Anyone have thoughts on duck butt decoys in the spread? They are cheap and don't take up much room. I was thinking about adding one or two to the spread. Any thoughts?
agfan2013
AG
water turkey said:

Probably see mostly gadwall. They love stock tanks.

You don't need to call on a small tank. They are either coming there already or they aren't.

This is spot on. Most of my hunting is on stock tanks so very similar to what you're looking at. I've got 18 decoys: 12 full size ones and 6 teal, plus a baby mallard mojo. I mostly throw out 4-10 decoys and have the mojo going, that's it. No using a call or anything.

Honestly some of my better success is just jumping the tanks. Get home after work and just walk out there and see if anything is already there. Then maybe set some decoys up after checking all the tanks if I feel like it.

Get you an extendable decoy retriever pole. I barely walk out in my waders and use the pole to get ducks after I've shot them.

Be prepared for a ton of gadwall, some ringnecks, maybe some teal. I'm still mad at myself for missing on a mallard I saw on one of our tanks last year.
John Cocktolstoy
Silky you live in Seguin?
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Silky Johnston
I actually live in Houston, but my parents have a place in Seguin. Some posters suggested there might be some birds in the area and it would be a good place to get started in duck hunting. I know there is public land around Houston, but I am woefully under-prepared and under-equipped for that.
1990AG
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

Anyone have thoughts on duck butt decoys in the spread? They are cheap and don't take up much room. I was thinking about adding one or two to the spread. Any thoughts?
Only time we used them was for "motion" decoys. We strapped a bilge pump to the bottom with a hose rigged on it. Added a blinker circuit and voila....

they are not exactly light though!
NW80
AG
Just drove from Georgetown to Abilene. Only saw two tanks with Ducks.
FrontPorchAg
thanks for this idea.

I'm also interested in finding other ways to add motion to my spread. I'm all ears if someone else has ideas.
The Catfish
AG
Pivate lease or hunting club? If club, which one? Always like to see who's having success out there.
hurricanejake02
AG
Private lease, for now.
CS78
Mtn_Guide said:

thanks for this idea.

I'm also interested in finding other ways to add motion to my spread. I'm all ears if someone else has ideas.

The Higdon pulsators work really well. That's the commercial version with the bilge pump. I hunt with someone that will use six of them with 3 dozen decoys. It's lethal but such a pain in the rear. I've had good luck with two pulsators and a dozen decs. Ideally you want ripples coming from multiple directions rather just one decoy making a bunch of waves.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.