Outdoors
Sponsored by

***** Waterfowl Season 2018 - 19 *****

40,372 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gonemaroon
FirefightAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Usually open about late June to july closes Sept 15 for that one I think
The Catfish
AG
Do you need a boat to get in there?
DuckDown2013
AG
Nope. Vehicle access to cells.
MAROON
AG
19 down in Garwood this morning - four hunters. If we could shoot, limits would have been had by all.

Mostly Green Wing teal, a few spoonies, gadwalls, one pintall hen, and a scaup. Light fog most of the morning. We had to get out of the blind at 9:00 so one of the guys could get back to Houston in time for a lunch meeting.

They were still flying when we packed up.
FirefightAg
AG

FirefightAg
AG
This was from yesterday morning. I thought the front and full moon might move some birds and I had to work today so why not. We had a group of mallards do it perfect we only dropped two and had a sailer. Then of course as I was working Maggie on downed birds a flock of geese come right over the top. I had one shell in my buddy only got two shots off and we didn't get a single goose.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Maggie in the second pic:

"Dad, don't forget to tell them about the pigeon!"
KW02
AG
Man, I want to go. Best time of year being able to hunt dove, duck and deer.
Stormchaser
AG
mneisch
AG
6 guys, 28 birds this morning on public land. Mostly GWT and BWT.
Codes12
AG
6 Guys and a Kid shot 38 this morning west of El Campo. Could have easily got our limit but tried to let the youngster get some quality shots on a few groups that worked really well. Great hunt and a good experience having the youngster on his first quality duck hunt. Teal/Gadwall/Pintails/Wigon and of course the most prized duck of them all.... some Northern Sholvers.
Saucerito
AG
Codes12 said:

6 Guys and a Kid shot 38 this morning west of El Campo. Could have easily got our limit but tried to let the youngster get some quality shots on a few groups that worked really well. Great hunt and a good experience having the youngster on his first quality duck hunt. Teal/Gadwall/Pintails/Wigon and of course the most prized duck of them all.... some Northern Sholvers.
Nice job. We were out northwest of El Campo in a pond and got skunked. Only 1 group came close enough to shoot at, but didn't land.

Were you hunting Lake Texana or farm ponds?
Codes12
AG
We were hunting on a friend's rice farm. We were hunting rice stubble but there are permanent DU ponds in the area that we pull birds off of.
txaggie02
AG
Decent morning. Birds were flying high and there is still quite a bit of water in the bottom. Supposed to get another 4-6" tonight, unfortunately. Been really wet the past 2 months which has the birds pretty scattered.

mneisch
AG
5 guys, 26 birds yesterday. 50/50 mix of BWT and spoonies.
PharmD4
AG
Left the house at 02:50, got about 5 minutes from my hunting destination and the road was too flooded to pass. Circled back around to try accessing from the other direction...road closed. Tried another spot altogether, got about 0.25 mile down the trail and the water was rushing over my knees (couldn't even make it to the stream crossing).

Got home at 05:50. I've had better "hunts".
Gulf Coast Aggie
AG
Two groups of 4 hunters this morning in the port lavaca marsh. My group had 10 ducks, and 3 redfish after the hunt. Other group had 24 ducks and 6 snows that passed too low in the north wind.
Previous trips in Palacios have been slow. Lots of water makes hunting tough.
CS78
Today was one of those frustrating woulda shoulda coulda hunts. Sometimes the birds are there but putting 6 on the water is tough.

Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
It's been tough in southern OK. We need Kansas to lock up over the next few days and push some birds down. Can't recall ever seeing such low numbers this time of year. Put the boat in the water at 830am on Thursday and scouted until sun down. Didn't find much. What few mallards that are holding are stale as *****
giddings_ag_06
AG
CS78 said:

Today was one of those frustrating woulda shoulda coulda hunts. Sometimes the birds are there but putting 6 on the water is tough.

Based on this, surely you got at least one. Either that or you spend waaaaay too much on your decoys...
Kearney McRaven
Any reports from around the Lubbock area?
TexasAg2017
AG
Anyone hunting down around rockport this weekend? I'm meeting the folks down there. I'm gonna bring a gun and waders in hopes of getting a hunt in.
MAROON
AG
just got a photo from a buddy. Three man limit by 7:30 this morning in Garwood. Had a spot for that hunt, but someone scheduled the first day of 2019 work to start today!
SanAntoneAg
AG
Took the kids and daughter's boyfriend out this afternoon. Three gaddies, a couple bluebill and the token shovelor. East side of San Antonio.

giddings_ag_06
AG
All water, no fowl. We did see some big ducks fly over after shooting light, but only about a dozen. There's so much water they are feeding in pastures during the day. Crazy

This is the pasture. You could float it in a canoe.

FirefightAg
AG
You better keep watching that pasture. I bet there will be birds in it after the weekend.
giddings_ag_06
AG
I'm stuck working the next 10 days then have a trip for 5 days after that. Gonna be a while til I get to get after them again.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

I'm stuck working the next 10 days then have a trip for 5 days after that. Gonna be a while til I get to get after them again.

Just send me the coordinates and I'll "live hunt" it for you and the OB.
mneisch
AG
27 birds this morning. Mostly BWT.
PharmD4
AG
Got a handful of teal and gads... then the tide went out.

FirefightAg
AG
What do those bwt look like?
mneisch
AG
Real nice plumage on the drakes now. I'll get some pics up in a bit.
DUman08
AG
Shot 20 this morning hunted late birds didn't wanna move until around 8am. Mostly BWT had one GWT and 1 widgeon.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Relevant to my interests
DuckDown2013
AG
FINALLY put it together at the lease in north Texas. Have been set up on the wrong lake no matter where I have been the last few weeks. It's extremely frustrating to have birds all around you and them just not want to be where you are regardless of where you are set up.
Finished with a 2 man of 7 gadwalls, 3 wigeon, and 2 mallards late this morning up north in honey grove. Saw a bunch chowing down on a small flooded stock tank on Thursday and hoped they would still be around today. We controlled our "bloodlust" as DUman would say by passing on 2 big groups of bluebills early in hopes of the big ducks showing up later. We were feeling pretty dumb around 8 30 when we had 0 birds...But Man am I glad I get to eat puddle ducks instead of divers!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.