Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

556,542 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When you have these 30 degree temperatures swings, you'll see an uptick in activity. When the overall daily average falls below 60, you'll start seeing a pretty quick. When we are seeing high 40s/50 and then bump up over 80 degrees, a lot of their prey items get active.
SteveBott
AG
Not sure if this will post. Facebook pic. Killed outside Burnet

Edit: try this

[url=.html][/url]
LisaMarie
AG
Hate to burst the bubble but that is an old viral picture. It is an Eastern diamond back which are not found in Burnet, or any part of Texas. This picture is several years old and also employs the use of forced perspective to make the snake look very large when it isn't.

Edit cuz I can't spell
ttha_aggie_09
AG
LisaMarie said:

Hate to burst the bubble but that is an old viral picture. It is an Eastern diamond back which are not found in Burnet, or any part of Texas. This picture is several years old and also employs the use of forced perspective to make the snake look very large when it isn't.

Edit cuz I can't spell

Yep - Florida Eastern Diamondback, which can get bigger than westerns but not the 10ft or whatever the description is.
txags92
AG
Based on pattern and size cues, I would be surprised if that snake is longer than about 4 feet or so.
SteveBott
AG
Thanks all
GE
AG
Really enjoyed reading this thread. Here's an old video some of you might enjoy. You can see he gets legitimately concerned a few minutes in...not that common with this guy.

4stringAg
AG
GE said:

Really enjoyed reading this thread. Here's an old video some of you might enjoy. You can see he gets legitimately concerned a few minutes in...not that common with this guy.

My in-laws are part of a family hunting lodge on about 1800 acres on top of a mountain in upstate PA. Looks a lot like the terrain Croc Hunter is crawling over there. I've seen numerous big timber rattlers up there. Posted one pic earlier on the thread of a very dark black phase one we saw up there that we heard rattling over the engine noise of a 4-wheeler.
Sailor
Steve Irwin made me change my attitude toward snakes. I used to see them all as the devil's spawn and now I understand they have a place in nature. It's funny, I live in a development south of Wellborn and we have plenty of our share of snakes, but I truly like to live and let live now, even with the copperheads, corals and cottonmouths we run across.

We have a shared community facebook page where folks post pics of snakes they have killed that were "moccasins", which in virtually all cases turned out to be a water snake. I've tried to educate them on the differences and it seems to have helped, as I see more pics of the snake they let go.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
My students are doing some clearing work in the fields at Chasefu Theological College and Model Farm this morning, and ran across this guy. Billy Msambala, on the left, is holding what I believe is a puff adder.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/PorV6g][/url]15111086_224989631265213_821832995032041443_o
GE
AG
That's a ratsnake
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
GE said:

That's a ratsnake
Sure it is. Confirmed as a puff adder by the locals, or chipili as it's known in Tumbuka.
Lex
Look at that hognose snake! Ewe! It's ugly. Wouldn't want to get caught by that heifer!
txags92
AG
You need to teach them about forced perspective in taking the pictures. That could have been a ten foot long puff adder with just a little effort from the photographer.
Badace52
AG
That is most definitely a puff adder.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
awesome pic.
4stringAg
AG
Cool pic.
txaggie02
AG
Pretty amazing. You could lay that snake on top of the grass in the background and probably couldn't even see it until it ripped into your calf. Bad mofo!
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
txaggie02 said:

Pretty amazing. You could lay that snake on top of the grass in the background and probably couldn't even see it until it ripped into your calf. Bad mofo!
Yep. We went to a reptile farm in Lusaka in July, for the purpose of learning and identifying the different bad snakes here. The Gabon vipers are also very, very hard to see. We were looking through the glass enclosure for a Gabon viper, which was less than 2 feet from us. It was laying in leaves, and it probably took me 3 minutes to finally see it.

We're told that puff adders are pretty docile, and unless you step on one, your probably ok, but I'd hate to find out.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
OEFM going to see the snakes is wise. My take away in not being able to see a viper with fangs like talons would be to become known as the Zambian stilt man.
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I actually thought about buying some snake boots because of my work on the farm, but after I saw a video of a black mamba scooting along with it's had about 3 feet up in the air, I figured not much point. Of course, there are other bad snakes here, so it might still be worthwhile.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

but after I saw a video of a black mamba scooting along with it's had about 3 feet up in the air, I figured not much point.

chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. This is the captain speaking. Congratulations on your decision to leave Zambia, where snakes that defy defense and creep everyone out, live and could kill you at any moment they choose. Just sit back and enjoy the flight to a land with snakes you actually have a chance against".
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
Tursiops93
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

I actually thought about buying some snake boots because of my work on the farm, but after I saw a video of a black mamba scooting along with it's had about 3 feet up in the air, I figured not much point. Of course, there are other bad snakes here, so it might still be worthwhile.
Yea.....boots may not help with the Black Mamba. This guy is nuts, but the video shows how the snake elevates itself. #?*! THAT!
rhtexfish
AG
Tursiops93 said:

One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Yea.....boots may not help with the Black Mamba. This guy is nuts, but the video shows how the snake elevates itself. #?*! THAT!

FOUR THIN INCHES
AG

This is the biggest cottonmouth I've seen out here, a little forced perspective. Sorry, I killed him because he was fast and wasn't cooperating with me to take his picture.

Size 11 snake boot and large glove for scale.

And a broad-banded water snake.
12f Mane
AG
Not a cottonmouth
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Rat snake?
AZAG08
AG
12f Mane said:

Not a cottonmouth
Diamond backed water snake?
12f Mane
12f Mane
AG
Diamondback. That's a decent sized one but they can get upwards of 5ft or more.
ccard257
AG
Quote:

I killed him because he was fast and wasn't cooperating with me to take his picture.
I hope you don't have kids
Chazz03
AG
FOUR THIN INCHES said:

Rat snake?
AZAG08
AG
12f Mane said:

Diamondback. That's a decent sized one but they can get upwards of 5ft or more.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
AZAG08 said:

12f Mane said:

Not a cottonmouth
Diamond backed water snake?

Probably the most common water snake falsely identified as a water moccasin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.