Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

583,670 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First one is a ratsnake. Second is tough but I would go with yellow-bellied watersnake based on the dark dorsal and strongly keeled scales.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Spots on the side = hog nose, no?
I was thinking Hognose myself. My neighbor took the picture and thought it was a Timber Rattlesnake. I can see how they are somewhat similar but the spots looked pretty big...
12f Mane
AG
I'm going to have to disagree completely with your neighbor about timber rattlesnakes and hognoses looking remotely similar.

Stive
AG
They both are long and squiggly.
They both have heads and tails.
They both have forked creepy tongues
They both have scales.
They both have spots.

They're practically identical twins.
ZooGuy
Yeah, a Timber looks nothing like a non-venomous snake IMHO.
Daddy-O5
AG
Timber rattler is a really pretty snake. #nohomo
ccard257
AG
just found this. SAIP.

70 snakes found in fort worth home after death of retired zoo employee
Whoop04
When is the last time 12f Mane checked in here?
ccard257
AG
'bout an hour ago
12f Mane
AG
Ha, I keep ZERO snakes. They sit under a hide all day, their meals are a pain in the ass, and they stink. Boring.

Regarding the article, Dave was a keeper at the zoo so it shouldn't be a surprise he kept many animals. All of the headlines referencing the story have had click bait titles, IMO. For big time breeders or keepers, 70 really isn't that big of a deal.
ZooGuy
quote:
Ha, I keep ZERO snakes. They sit under a hide all day, their meals are a pain in the ass, and they stink. Boring.

Regarding the article, Dave was a keeper at the zoo so it shouldn't be a surprise he kept many animals. All of the headlines referencing the story have had click bait titles, IMO. For big time breeders or keepers, 70 really isn't that big of a deal.

This. I had 50 at one time (when I worked at a zoo) - and that was a low number. When you get into the 3-400's is considered high.
ccard257
AG
for people who keep snakes, sure. For the poor cop who gets sent on a welfare check...might as well be indiana jones.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Not really related to this thread but might as well post here:

4stringAg
AG

FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Cute little water moccasin
4stringAg
AG
He was really pissy. He started vibrating his tail and feigned a strike when I was still a good distance away. Don't think he liked me snapping his pic and he swam across the creek I was fishing in
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Yeah, I'd be a little Leary of getting that close to one to take a picture.
4stringAg
AG
Believe me I used the zoom feature to good effect here!!
george92
quote:
He was really pissy. He started vibrating his tail and feigned a strike when I was still a good distance away. Don't think he liked me snapping his pic and he swam across the creek I was fishing in

Where is this creek so I can avoid it?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
quote:
quote:

All creeks in the south
Serious Lee
ive lived within 100 miles from houston my entire life and never seen a hognose, is that strange?
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
Timber rattler is a really pretty snake. #nohomo
Very! And every time I see a Rattler, I notice how their head is so recognizable. They have a "scowl" and just look pissed off!
4stringAg
AG
Do snakes roam or do they stick to a certain territory? This section of this creek I fish in I've seen a similar size moccasin every time I'm there and wonder if it's the same one in this pics above each time?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
Do snakes roam or do they stick to a certain territory? This section of this creek I fish in I've seen a similar size moccasin every time I'm there and wonder if it's the same one in this pics above each time?
He might be stocking you. Be alert.
george92
quote:
quote:
quote:

All creeks in the south

I know this. I used to trot line and regular fish the Cibolo Creek and San Antonio River south of San Antonio in high school and college. I was referring to that specific pissy snake. Also, I didn't become a poosy until later in life.

On one of our trot line nights we had a cottonmouth crawl into our bait bucket while we slept off and get trapped. One of those yellow plastic ones that the lid snaps back on. The bait bucket felt heavy and my cousin was in for the surprise of his life when he reached in to grab a perch. All the rest of us pissed ourselves we were laughing so hard but my cousin, after the shock wore off, proceeded to put around fifty 22 shots into the bucket. This one received the death penalty.
DJV2012
AG
Holy crap...cottonmouth in the bait bucket is a terrifying thought
Bird93
AG
My bro and I were catfishing from the bank at Lake Worth when we were in junior high. The water was really shallow up by the bank, so we had our stringer tied to a log about 15' into the water.

At the end of the day, my bro went out to retrieve the stringer full of fish. He made it all the way back to the shore before I said, "what's that hanging from the stringer?' We both realized at the same time it was a cottonmouth. His gut instinct was to throw the stringer. Unfortunately, he threw it directly at me. We looked about like Richard Pryor in The Toy.

Post removed:
by user
AJ02
AG
I know jack sh/t about snakes, other than that I don't like them. My next door neighbor found this hanging out by their trashcans. Copperhead?

AJ02
AG
Same neighbors also found a snake in their pool a couple of days prior to that one. They think a yellow belly water snake. They have one of the black pool bottoms, which I'm told snakes prefer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
It certainly appears to be so... A juvinile water moccasin also looks very similar to a copperhead but with a yellow tipped tail. I cannot zoom in on the picture on my mobile right now (in NOLA and have been drinking) but it looks like it might be one.

Either way, venomous...
AJ02
AG
Great. I thought the worst we had to worry about were the ribbon snakes in our pool filter baskets.
12f Mane
AG
That is a copperhead.

I'd imagine snakes have no preference for a particular pool bottom.
12f Mane
AG
quote:
ive lived within 100 miles from houston my entire life and never seen a hognose, is that strange?
A little, but they can be easy to overlook. They also can be abundant in micro-habitats and almost absent from other.
Whoop04
quote:
It certainly appears to be so... A juvinile water moccasin also looks very similar to a copperhead but with a yellow tipped tail.

Wait...copperheads and water moccasins are two distinct species?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.