Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

583,326 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
GinaLinetti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Indigo.
12f Mane
AG
South American version of an indigo. Usually called a cribo.
Stive
AG
Big/thick snake. Cool!
Mr. Dubi
My sea snake video

He was in the coral on the ocean floor when I started snapping, but decided to swim toward me.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
wouldn't classify that as an attack, but cool video.
Mr. Dubi
I suspect he was going after his reflection on the camera lens, but surl looked very personal to me-- that's why I smacked him with the camera. Normally it's just biting things that come after me, not venomous...
Serious Lee
looks like you attacked him. dont blame you though, looks like a belchers sea snake.
Wife is an Aggie
Came about an inch from stepping on this guy's head this morning during my jog. Circled back to snap a pic and let him move along after.

GinaLinetti
AG
He looks like a raisin
Post removed:
by user
Stive
AG
Looks like it's been hit with a crowbar 30 or so times.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Spent time at the zoo this am. Figured I would snap some pics of the snakes there to share with all you herpers.

Gaboon viper

Rattlesnake of some sort ...Forgot name sorry

Fer de lance

Imitation cottonmouth

Cottonmouth

Western diamondback

Mexican something.. Forgot name sorry

King cobra

Albino Python

Tree boa's

Copperhead
GinaLinetti
AG
Just walked out to this feisty little dude on the back porch. Caught it in a bucket and took it across the street. Wanted to let him go in my neighbors back yard but my bf said that would be a **** move.

12f Mane
AG
Texas patchnosed snake
GinaLinetti
AG
Was it a baby or adult? It was almost 2 ft long but super skinny. I thought it was a garter snake
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
Came about an inch from stepping on this guy's head this morning during my jog. Circled back to snap a pic and let him move along after.

12fmane mind IDing this one?
oneeyedag
Chicken Snake, harmless. Best protection against mice and rats.
12f Mane
AG
It's a ratsnake. Ratsnakes kink up like that when first approached, probably for camo.
12f Mane
AG
2 foot would be a small adult patchnose. Very similar to garters/ribbons but the big "patch" on the nose, an enlarged scale, is a good giveaway. They use it to dig up lizards.
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
It's a ratsnake. Ratsnakes kink up like that when first approached, probably for camo.

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was that or some sort of water snake. Can't tell in the picture but had a yellowish belly and was located right near a creek. I knew it was harmless and let it move on.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
BF is wrong, next time go ahead and re-locate.
12f Mane
AG
Spied this big guy/gal under a fallen trailer house recently.

Timber rattlesnake

The Collective
AG
quote:
Tree boa's

I don't see nothing wrong with a little...
FSGuide
I know timber rattlers are protected in Texas. Is it against the law posess their skins? I saw one on display in a local business last week.
12f Mane
AG
quote:
quote:
Tree boa's

I don't see nothing wrong with a little...

These are actually native checkered garter snakes, just FYI.
12f Mane
AG
I'm not really sure but seriously doubt there would be any follow up regardless. I heard from the state herpetologists mouth that there is essentially no way to prosecute anyone for killing a listed snake, regardless of species. You can claim ignorance and belief it was a venomous snake and you or your pets were in danger. I can't imagine that wouldn't apply to the skin as well.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i'm not one that is generally fearful of snakes, but man, even though they are known as pretty tame in nature, gaboon vipers freak me out. head like a sledge hammer.
12f Mane
AG
I'd imagine the bite would hurt like ****, even before the venom hit, just because of the size of their fangs
Bitter Old Man
AG
Any idea what this little guy is? He was hanging out in our garden, and it about 9 inches long. That is a runner of St. Augustine grass. He was very feisty. I left him there.

george92
quote:
Spied this big guy/gal under a fallen trailer house recently.

Timber rattlesnake

You are probably the only person I know that enjoys picking up things, like fallen debris, wood pallets, tin roof sheets etc. that have a high probability of something slithery hanging out underneath it. I'm a big puss when it comes to snakes and spiders. I wish I had you with me sometimes so that you could be the one that moves that stuff around instead of me getting the crap scared out of me.
ZooGuy
Nah, I'm one of those people too.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Texas Brown - harmless, but he was certainly trying to convince you he wasn't.
ellebee
I still love doing this. I showed my friend's toddler the cool stuff you can find and they got pretty annoyed when he kept flipping over their landscaping rocks.
MathNewman06
AG
Sometimes the rats fight back:
https://www.facebook.com/Agatta/videos/vb.1293228579/10209800465990358/
george92
quote:
Nah, I'm one of those people too.
My 11 year old and 9 year old ride horses when we are down in Wilson County. We have a close friend that has well trained horses he lets the girls ride whenever they want. When its hot, he has taught them to take the horses to the edge of town where a friend of ours has a large stock tank to take the horses swimming. I went with them on Saturday just to check things out. Here are some of the pics.

This tank is completely infested with cottonmouths and diamond back water snakes. Not to mention all of the other species hanging out in the high grass etc. A snake lover's paradise. Anyway, they were having fun while all I could think about was the scene from Lonesome Dove with the snakes. I kept saying, there's a snake getting close and eventually I got them convinced to get out of the water.

My 11 year old said Opa (that's what they call our friend - he's not related but pretty much a grandpa to them) says that the snakes won't bother us when we are with the horses. She said she doesn't want me to come any more because I stress everyone out when they should be having fun.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.