Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

583,343 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
213 Grove
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

What type of snake is this? Got in our warehouse this morning and stuck in a sticky rat trap. Thought it just might be a rat snake so tried to pull him out and let him go but ripped him up.

Can anyone confirm?
12f Mane
AG
Young yellowbellied water snake
213 Grove
AG
Thanks I just looked up some snake pics and that's what I came away with too.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG

Wife ran into this guy last night while running. Thanks to this thread she actually knew what it was, even though it's one of the more easily identifiable snakes out there I'm surprised she remembered.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Red touch yellow....
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Looks like that is on the bigger end for a coral. How long was it?
RockinU

Had to rescue this guy from the dogs...he wasn't all that appreciative, I called him some ugly names while dodging his bluff strikes getting him caught. Both my kids voted that I throw it on their mom, but I decided that would be too traumatic for the snake...
ursusguy
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Both my kids voted that I throw it on their mom, but I decided that would be too traumatic for the snake...
Both the reptile and your trouser snake.
PabloEsteban87
AG
Maybe it's just the picture, but it appears someone else ran into it before your wife. Looks kinda like it's been run over by a vehicle. Is it alive?
RockinU
quote:
Maybe it's just the picture, but it appears someone else ran into it before your wife. Looks kinda like it's been run over by a vehicle. Is it alive?

Yeah, dog got him once, but he was fine, I tried to get a pic when he was wrapped around my arm, but apparently I'm not that athletic, and none of those pics came out.
carpe vinum
AG
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d0b_1466627009
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, dog got him once, but he was fine, I tried to get a pic when he was wrapped around my arm, but apparently I'm not that athletic, and none of those pics came out.

he was addressing cave johnson and his coral snake.
RockinU
My bad...
Daddy-O5
AG
Just saw this thread, read through all 19 pages. Love it.
FrioAg 00
AG
If I threw any snake on my wife my trouser snake would be hybernating for months
Hobbes01
AG
Found this guy in my garage when I was cleaning it out. Moved some rope off of the front of my dremel case at about chest height and this guy was coiled up taking a nap on the back side of the case. Thanks primarily to the Outdoors board, I immediately knew it was not venomous and most likely a rat snake. Took some effort but finally got it herded into a plastic bin and relocated to an empty lot down the street. It was somewhere between 18-24".

Next morning reached down into a box of towels and picked one up to find a tarantula sitting right next to where my hand went. It got relocated as well, both harmlessly. But I see way more tarantulas than I encounter snakes.

The Collective
AG
One of my wife's friends took this pic last week. This "little" guy was hanging out in a popular climbing tree at Holland Lake Park in Weatherford.

george92
I'm going with Burmese Python which is nonvenomous so its beneficial.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Invasive species are NOT beneficial.
ursusguy
AG
That would be the OB standard snake.
FrioAg 00
AG
Non-venomous can still choke out a yorkie

CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Non-venomous can still choke out a yorkie
One good benefit does not make invasive species beneficial.

AZAG08
AG
I still follow my old neighborhood's facebook page (Oak Forest in Houston) and this showed up today:

ZooGuy
george92
quote:
quote:
Invasive species are NOT beneficial.
Well all right. I'll fire up the wood chipper. Say goodbye to Mr. Snuggles.
jbanda
AG
Found this at my front door. Happened today. There are confirmed water moccasins and rat snakes in this neighborhood.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Doesn't appear to be a very long snake and is slender. Highly doubt it's a water moccasin and not sure it's a rat snake either, but likely.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
My guess is not a water moccasin because of how the tail appears to gradually taper and get really thin.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I was thinking the same but also leaning towards a coachwhip or racer.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
Found this at my front door. Happened today. There are confirmed water moccasins and rat snakes in this neighborhood.

Holy Sheit man!!! You now have an invisible western coral diamondback cottonmouth rattler loose in your yard! Haven't you ever seen the Invisible Man ?
jbanda
AG
I'd be fine with pretty much any of those (except a moc). Ordered some snake tongs today for safe catch and release of non venemous species.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Edited to not moccasin rather than yes rat snake because I read your post and had the same thought.
Ghost91
What's this.

OnlyForNow
AG
A dead Texas rat snake.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.