Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

583,384 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I figured. You'll know if a crow or hawk and apparently a rat snake is around if you hear a pissed off mockingbird.

How many babies are left? 2?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Is that why mockingbirds hate crows? Serious question... it makes perfect sense, just never thought about why they hated them.
Darby
Yes 2 left
He had eaten the first one and had his mouth on the second one when I caught him

When I came back with my gun he was trying to abort mission but it was too late for him

I liked to have sh** my britches because when I stuck my head in the bush he was about 6 inches from my face and he was good sized. About 4 feet
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
Is that why mockingbirds hate crows? Serious question... it makes perfect sense, just never thought about why they hated them.
Most recently it's been more Crows raiding Blue Jay nests and grabbing the fledglings on the ground. My Mockingbird nest appears to have escaped notice from the Crows.
Everyone that eats at the feeder has been vary wary of a Cooper's Hawk working it lately. Used to be only fat Doves and squirrels had to keep an eye in the back of their head for the Red Shoulder.

I enjoy the wildlife and get attached, then I have to remind myself that the only reason they're all there is predation on something else.

edit to add: See how Crows feel about Eagles some time. I've never seen more relentless harassment. Well deserved too. Eagles are opportunists, they'll grab anything.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Our neighborhood cat population keeps the birds knocked down a bit. Snakes too.

Pisses me off because there are like 2-3 crazy cat ladies who feed the feral cats and lose their **** if anybody suggests removing them (they do the same over the ducks too). And more than a few who let their cats roam at night. As we do have a good bit of habitat nearby it's quite amusing when a cat goes missing because we do have bobcats, alligators, and a few coyotes left though those numbers are probably down as we don't hear them calling much any more.

Thankfully there's a common acquaintance of ursusguy and myself who works for Texas Parks & Wildlife who is a herper and will relo snakes people find. Even venomous ones.
Stive
AG
Oh I'm not I'm just hackin' on ya.

I'm from East Texas....we have zero room for judging anybody.
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
quote:
Most recently it's been more Crows raiding Blue Jay nests and grabbing the fledglings on the ground. My Mockingbird nest appears to have escaped notice from the Crows.
Everyone that eats at the feeder has been vary wary of a Cooper's Hawk working it lately. Used to be only fat Doves and squirrels had to keep an eye in the back of their head for the Red Shoulder.

I enjoy the wildlife and get attached, then I have to remind myself that the only reason they're all there is predation on something else.

edit to add: See how Crows feel about Eagles some time. I've never seen more relentless harassment. Well deserved too. Eagles are opportunists, they'll grab anything.
Funny you added this. Just 15 minutes ago I watched a Mexican Eagle (Carcara) flying past the house with something small in it's talons with 8 birds chasing and harassing it. Looked to be both Mockingbirds and grackles. Kind of felt bad for the eagle.
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
I've got 3 to add.

First: this little guy lives around our house. Scared my 5 year old the first time she spotted him but has since learned he's harmless.

Took this pic Monday at Mammoth Cave National Park. Gorgeous snake. My husband disagreed.

Another Mammoth Cave snake from Tuesday.

ATX_AG_08
AG
Watched this guy try to scale this wall for a minute. Finally made it up to a nice perch on the gutter and hasn't moved since. Probably waiting for a fat lizard to come around the corner.

Rockport, TX

Couldn't make it up the trashcan....

Couldn't make it up the bucket.....

Made it up the fence and gutter.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome pics!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Or a baby mocking bird
carpe vinum
AG
and tree frogs.
BurrOak
AG
Always wondered about the many times I've seen mockingbirds flying right behind a hawk trying to attack it, with the hawk casually flying away not paying them any mind at all. The hawk could rip the mockingbird to shreds, but he doesn't seem to care.
Muzzleblast

Relocated this guy during dozer work on the farm.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Relocated a cobra?

I tell you what, I think the hognose is getting close to passing the rat snake for appearances on this thread.
Muzzleblast
I think I have more rat snakes here than hognose but they are both abundant.

I keep my easy reach handy so I can put them back in my hay field when they wander up to the house.
ttha_aggie_09
ZooGuy
You can pick up the hognoses. They won't bite. They will constantly "bluff strike" which is hilarious. Still makes me recoil sometimes when I am feeding my western hognose.
lexofer
AG
I've received three company wide e-mails this morning about a snake that was seen in the stairwell of our parking garage. The response to a single harmless snake seems a little ridiculous. Our office backs up to a large undeveloped area so the snake has plenty of places to go. We also had a 6 foot alligator in our parking lot last year.

quote:
The snake in stairwell C was reported to be a rat snake about 3 feet long. We have contacted animal control, posted signage, and have a guard standing at the base of the stairwell. The snake was last seen going through a small hole in the wall of the stairwell, so please ask all of your employees to be cautious when walking around the exterior of the building and parking garage. Be reminded that high flood waters often cause wildlife to move to higher ground and possibly onto our property. Report any wildlife (snakes, large lizards, alligators, armadillos, possums, racoons, etc.) to the Building Management office

Canyon99
AG
Just yesterday I killed my third copperhead this year in the vicinity of my house. Don't plan to take any chances with my kids.
Touchscreen
AG
quote:

I tell you what, I think the hognose is getting close to passing the rat snake for appearances on this thread.
I've never come across a hognose at our farm (Austin County), but plenty of rat snakes.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
quote:
I've received three company wide e-mails this morning about a snake that was seen in the stairwell of our parking garage. The response to a single harmless snake seems a little ridiculous. Our office backs up to a large undeveloped area so the snake has plenty of places to go. We also had a 6 foot alligator in our parking lot last year.

quote:
The snake in stairwell C was reported to be a rat snake about 3 feet long. We have contacted animal control, posted signage, and have a guard standing at the base of the stairwell. The snake was last seen going through a small hole in the wall of the stairwell, so please ask all of your employees to be cautious when walking around the exterior of the building and parking garage. Be reminded that high flood waters often cause wildlife to move to higher ground and possibly onto our property. Report any wildlife (snakes, large lizards, alligators, armadillos, possums, racoons, etc.) to the Building Management office

"Excuse me sir, you can't take these stairs... There's a rat snake on the loose and we just can't take the risk of you getting attacked, or heaven forbid, eaten by this monster"

So what's the protocol if you have a fire now? Jump out the window because of snake in stairs?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hard to argue with that. Where do you live?
Canyon99
AG
quote:
Hard to argue with that. Where do you live?

Ellis County
ATX_AG_08
AG
quote:
and tree frogs.
Smart man. Same trashcan a few hours later.

Shilo
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

"Excuse me sir, you can't take these stairs... There's a rat snake on the loose and we just can't take the risk of you getting attacked, or heaven forbid, eaten by this monster"

So what's the protocol if you have a fire now? Jump out the window because of snake in stairs?

A guard is a bit ridiculous, and although the snake itself isn't going to hurt anyone, the majority of people in my office would get seriously injured from tumbling down the stairs while trying to get away if a snake (of any species or size) showed itself.
Chazz03
AG
quote:

Relocated this guy during dozer work on the farm.

He looks ashamed like a dog whose in trouble
ellebee
Son is a land surveyor. Came across this today. Sorry ursus and 12f

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Completely understand. I was just making fun of the whole situation.
ZooGuy
quote:
Son is a land surveyor. Came across this today. Sorry ursus and 12f

After they chop off the head, they should make sure they dispose of it properly.
ellebee
How do you do that? Is that bc it could puncture a foot?
End Of Message
AG
Snake still maintains its reflexes and is still capable of biting--even after the head is cut off. Always been told to dig a hole and bury them after.
ellebee
Interesting. Thanks!
ellebee
Apparently he did bury it.
FBG_Ag78
AG
I've also heard another reason to bury venomous snake heads is that wasps and other stinging insects are attracted to flesh like that for the moisture content. If they get any of the venom it can increase the toxicity of their own. Fact or folklore?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.