Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

583,319 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
ZooGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Beautiful snake, but doesn't look anything like the plain brown hognose snakes we caught all the time growing up in Lubbock. I'm assuming that those hognose were either Western hognose or one of the dull colored varieties of the Eastern hognose.
Those are westerns.
SteveBott
AG
I know some folks
12f Mane
AG
I believe you are correct, as an eastern has never been document from that county. I don't think they get up on the estacado, but westerns are common out there.
ZooGuy
We had Easterns in Taylor county in Abilene. Even if they were never counted as such.
12f Mane
AG
Another shot from earlier this spring. The 12f Mane with a legit 7ft ratsnake found in the tank of a discarded toilet. The snake looks dead but it's not.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
This has been an excellent thread! I know a lot of people have learned more about snakes because of it.

Thanks everyone for posting pictures and providing feedback and stories!
ttha_aggie_09
AG

• Forced perspective - likely 3ft
  • No Chippewas during snake seeking adventure
  • Did a rattlesnake bite a hole in your jeans when you were taking pictures in the bluebonnets?

Seriously though, that's amazing he was calm enough to pose for the picture.
SteveBott
AG
quote:
I really like this thread.

Blue star this post if you want this thread perma posted to the top of the forum.

Need a hundred
ShaggyAggie01
AG
quote:
quote:
I really like this thread.

Blue star this post if you want this thread perma posted to the top of the forum.

Need a hundred

Bump for stars on Bott's post
SteveBott
AG
Got 29 on the first post and 9 on the second. 38 and counting folks. The thread deserves a sticky.
4stringAg
AG
Will be going back to PA in a few weeks and up to the in laws cabin. Usually see some timber rattlers so will post pics if I get some decent shots
dr_boogs
AG
OK, I'll play. This guy was sunning himself in my lawn right up by the road a few weeks ago. Ran and got my son (like most boys he loves snakes), but before I could get a good photo he slid into a hole next to my culvert. Take it easy on me guys, non-herper here, but doing my best to educate myself on the non-venomous species. Approx 4.5 - 5 feet total length (accurate I promise). I vote rat snake.

Next, almost ran over (literally) this guy on a walking/mountain bike trail at a local park, turned the corner going pretty fast on my MB and had to hit the brakes to avoid rolling over him. Not sure about this one. Doesn't look like the hognoses I have around my house but I know they can be pretty diverse. Saw a confirmed hognose about a mile away from this snake crossing a paved road. 100% hognose b/c he hooded up at me as a rolled up to check him out and then did that flattening out posture. This snake didn't do either of those things. I know it's not one of the big 4 venomous species. In the photos below, the snake looks lighter colored than it did in person. From a dorsal view (from straight above him) his topside was almost black with little yellow dashed spots all over him. Head was not triangular like a viper. I used a stick to move him off the path and he got a little t'd off, but eventually went on his way. This snake was thicker than the snake above, but not as long (3.5-4 feet approximately).

Thanks fellas!

***ETA - third coast - yeah man I know. I use dropbox and it's giving me fits. The photos are right side up of course on my computer and dropbox folder, but when I insert the link in the TexAgs window and click post they display upside down. Chinese virus on my Mac or something hah. I think I fixed it.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
quote:
Got 29 on the first post and 9 on the second. 38 and counting folks. The thread deserves a sticky.

Trying a little too hard....
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
dr_boogs
AG
Yeah was struggling a bit with dropbox public folder, I think I fixed it.
Post removed:
by user
dr_boogs
AG
quote:
looks good. may i suggest using imgur in the future?

Might need to check it out. I rarely, rarely post pics so it hasn't been worth the trouble to locate a photo storage program for posting photos. Happen to be on a long weekend off with the family and up late working, so finally had time to post these photos. Any thoughts on the IDs?

Does imagur work on mobile devices only, or is there a program/app for Mac computers as well?
Post removed:
by user
BCO07
AG
I think the bottom one is a king snake
ZooGuy
First one is a rat snake.

Second one is a king snake.
cheeky
AG
Saw a buttermilk racer in The Woodlands last week crossing the cart path at the golf course and didn't have enough time to snap a photo. First one of those I've ever seen. Beautiful!
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks guys, I did some searching, with your help I think the 2nd one might be a speckled kingsnake.

Speckled Kingsnake
Salt-and-pepper Kingsnake
Lampropeltis getula holbrooki
ZooGuy
quote:
Thanks guys, I did some searching, with your help I think the 2nd one might be a speckled kingsnake.

Speckled Kingsnake
Salt-and-pepper Kingsnake
Lampropeltis getula holbrooki

Yes, it's a speckled king, also commonly called a chain king. Patterning comes in different forms throughout Texas.
GinMan
AG

Keep in mind that my son is a professional snake handler.
12f Mane
AG
Great video
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Local shooting range owner in Ennis mowing last Sunday discovered fat snake with enormous head sunning himself and sent photos to a few friends. After being told what it was, he properly killed and took to local vet for confirmation.
Gaboon Viper !!!!
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Can someone explain to me how these tiny rough earth snakes end up in the middle of my living room? Dang near stepped on one this morning. Didn't kill it as they are totally harmless and just tossed it in the back yard, but they usually seem to show up in random places far away from Windows and doors. My wife would burn the house down if she stepped on one.
CanyonAg77
AG
Im guessing that rattler's head was no longer attached.
Allen76
AG
quote:
Local shooting range owner in Ennis mowing last Sunday discovered fat snake with enormous head sunning himself and sent photos to a few friends. After being told what it was, he properly killed and took to local vet for confirmation.
Gaboon Viper !!!!
WTF? Is there a link or did the press not write a story ? That is just not right if someone released it there.
Throwout
AG
quote:
quote:
WTF? Is there a link or did the press not write a story ? That is just not right if someone released it there.

This is probably the story he's referring to. Whether it's real or not, I don't know.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11550966/1
ZooGuy
quote:
Can someone explain to me how these tiny rough earth snakes end up in the middle of my living room? Dang near stepped on one this morning. Didn't kill it as they are totally harmless and just tossed it in the back yard, but they usually seem to show up in random places far away from Windows and doors. My wife would burn the house down if she stepped on one.

They can enter just about any crevice in your house. Not that surprising. My sister used to find smooth earth snakes in the ceiling of her house. No idea about that.
Tree Hugger
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is probably the story he's referring to. Whether it's real or not, I don't know.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11550966/1

They called BS on it on page 3
Throwout
AG
I saw that, but it's funny how these "jokes" all of a sudden become real. See post above.
ursusguy
AG
That is about the most used Gaboon viper photo on the internet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.