New android phone--what would you buy?

34,578 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FatZilla
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"So I can take my Sim card and put into a brand new device and hit copy old device button to clone my old device."

I had no idea. I've been using this app called SMS Backup to transfer messages and contacts to my SD card and then moving the SD card to my new phone. I just re-install apps...kind of like a flooded home - yes, it's a pain, but it also helps with decluttering.
AgsMyDude
AG
Does it work with SMS? I've been using that same sms backup + app for that.
DeBoss
AG
So I've been waiting for the new Samsungs to come out, wondering if the 9 will be worth it over the 8, but everything I keep seeing doesn't make me want to jump on the 9. I think I can get a great deal on an 8 here really soon. It's that or wait for the OnePlus 6 and hope the have waterproofed it.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
DeBoss said:

So I've been waiting for the new Samsungs to come out, wondering if the 9 will be worth it over the 8, but everything I keep seeing doesn't make me want to jump on the 9. I think I can get a great deal on an 8 here really soon. It's that or wait for the OnePlus 6 and hope the have waterproofed it.

What features are you waiting for?
DeBoss
AG
In-screen fingerprint. It's the only thing I can think of to really make the 9 worth full price over an 8. I'm on a 2 year old blackberry right now, so I"m just kind of waiting. Really intrigued by OnePlus because I like how clean it is on Android. Same reason behind Google, but can't trust them with all the screen issues they had.
Old School Brother
What is the consensus on this today? Should I pay the $500ish for the OP5T or try to find a V20 in the $300 range....can those still be had?
DeBoss
AG
OP6 comes out in a few months. I personally think the 5T is missing too many standard features even at the reduced cost.
agracer
AG
DeBoss said:

OP6 comes out in a few months. I personally think the 5T is missing too many standard features even at the reduced cost.
Like what? No camera, doesn't make phone calls...no apps...no internet....doesn't wipe your ass for you...really...I'm at a loss here as to what "standard features" the phone is missing?
AggieDruggist89
AG
You know standards such as Samsung bloatware and iOS update that throttle your CPU. Your typical standards.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Old School Brother said:

What is the consensus on this today? Should I pay the $500ish for the OP5T or try to find a V20 in the $300 range....can those still be had?

I have a V20 and Mrs has OP5T. OP5T is an exceptionally high performance device. And she loves it.

Having said that, V20 is special. The last great flagship device with a replaceable battery, expandable memory slot, completely manual camera and video, unbelievable sound recorder, and Quad DAC sound system... All for $300 if you can find one new.
DeBoss
AG
To me two basic standards are wireless charging and waterproofing. It has neither. But continue to be a *****.
agracer
AG
DeBoss said:

To me two basic standards are wireless charging and waterproofing. It has neither. But continue to be a *****.
Apple and LG just got wireless charging. Samsung and Nexus have had it for a couple of years. And not all phones are IP67/8 rated either. Not sure I'd call those "standard features" by continue to take things way to seriously and be a ***** in your response, Francis.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Waterproof I would consider a semi basic functionality but not the wireless charging.

Now combine those 2, I would not consider as basic. But my standards are different.
AgsMyDude
AG
To be fair the LG G3 had wireless charging
Laser Wolf
NERD FIGHT
dubi
AG
Laser Wolf said:

NERD FIGHT
The Fife
To be fair it's at least the right forum for that sort of thing.
dubi
AG
It rewarding to be following a thread where folks are nice to each other even when they disagree.
Old School Brother
anyone ever buy from this place in florida? V20 for $329.

https://www.brandsmartusa.com/lg/218642/v20+5+7+64gb+unlocked+gsm+4g+lte+quad+core+smartphone.htm
Aggietaco
AG
I'd stick to major retailers for electronics purchases, but most of their negative reviews are about warranties or bad appliances.

https://resellerratings.com/store/BrandsmartUSA_9
Ag12thman
AG
Yep. I wouldn't do it. I've had bad experiences with those sorts of retailers -- the ones like Old School Brother is asking about.
Old School Brother
yeah, saw that....most of those are complaining about being lied to at a particular store about something or about warranty issues. in the case of this phone, if it's new in the box, i'd be happy. giving it some thought.
Old School Brother
can get it here at dailysteals for $379 with a code from cnet.

https://www.dailysteals.com/products/lg-v20-smartphone-us996-64gb-gsm-cdma-unlocked?variant=46182295503
The Fife
I think Mrs Fife's was barely $225 off Swappa.
Ag12thman
AG
My wife got one (a V20) on Amazon not too long ago for $310 or so. Might have just hit Amazon at the right time, though. She loves it. Sorry in advance for Rule #1 fail.
dubi
AG
Review: Google Pixel 2 is the best smartphone for stills photographers
agracer
AG
If anyone is looking for a new phone, I'm selling my One Plus 5T as I've moved back to iOS.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2935876/replies/51309247
H6RBW
AG
Been reading through this thread, and reading reviews elsewhere online, and decided to get a Moto G5 Plus. I wanted the 64GB model, which Best Buy has been offering on their website for $259.99. But, when I went in to pick one up today, it rang up at $207.99. Just FYI for anyone who might be looking at one as well.
tfunk02
AG
agracer said:

If anyone is looking for a new phone, I'm selling my One Plus 5T as I've moved back to iOS.

Just wondering... What made you want to go back?
agracer
AG
tfunk02 said:

agracer said:

Just wondering... What made you want to go back?
House is iOS, Apple Music, etc...just easier to get a long with the rest of the family and I can find my kids on my phone since they're all on iPhones too.
RangerRick9211
AG
Quote:

I can find my kids on my phone since they're all on iPhones too
FYI you can do that cross-platform with Google Maps.
YouBet
AG
I just checked out the Blackberry Keyone after seeing one in the wild last night.

I may pull the trigger on this and replace my S8 Active I've only had for a few months. Financially dumb but the thought of having a physical keyboard with Android OS gives me a boner. There is almost nothing worse in nerdom than virtual keyboards on phones.
CoolaidWade
AG
I'm thinking of switching to android for no other reason other then i'm bored with my iphone. I've had one since the 3 or 4. I use all the google apps and Google Music is the one I'm paying for so it makes sense?

I have about 200g of music so can I put that on a SD drive and use it on a android phone? It's all on Google Music's music locker right now but it would be nice to have whenever I'm somewhere without access. In airplane mode, for example.

I know the new iphone has a 256gb model so that would be a great option as well. I still have the Iphone 6 so another option is I can replace the battery for next to free.

If I switch to android I'd probably lean towards the pixel.
buffalo chip
S
RangerRick9211 said:

Quote:

I can find my kids on my phone since they're all on iPhones too
FYI you can do that cross-platform with Google Maps.
My wife is iPhone and I use this app to find her with "Find My iPhone"...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funreality.software.nativefindmyiphone.lite&hl=en

Works perfectly!
DeBoss
AG
I retired my S6 Edge a couple of years ago for a Blackberry Priv because of the keyboard. I thought that I wanted one back so bad. Little did I realize that I'm so used to the screen keyboard that I never use the physical one. So now I have an phone with inferior hardware because I thought the keyboard was so damn important.

Please reconsider.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.