New android phone--what would you buy?

34,586 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FatZilla
clobby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the s7 active and the screen cracked 2 weeks into owning it from a 2 foot fall. It seems that there was a pinch point between the buttons. Other than that a decent phone.
Endo Ag
AG
I just ordered a Pixel 2. Seems pretty nice in the hand. Samsung is better than they used to be, but their stupid Bixby thing turned me off. I have an s6 Active which replaced an S4 Active. My wife just got the s8 active, and she loves it. I'd still recommend a case, but nothing fance.

I'm hoping the Pixel 2 adds up. I hope the lack of wireless charging isn't too much of an issue. We'll see.
dubi
AG
Endo Ag said:

I just ordered a Pixel 2. Seems pretty nice in the hand. Samsung is better than they used to be, but their stupid Bixby thing turned me off. I have an s6 Active which replaced an S4 Active. My wife just got the s8 active, and she loves it. I'd still recommend a case, but nothing fance.

I'm hoping the Pixel 2 adds up. I hope the lack of wireless charging isn't too much of an issue. We'll see.

Where can i buy an unlocked s8 active (SM-G892U)? They seem to be very scarce.
YouBet
AG
dubi said:

Endo Ag said:

AT&T
ag_derp
AG
iPhone X
TexAgsAnon
Endo Ag said:

Return it asap. Major screen issues including burn in after 2 weeks.
AggieT
AG
Just on the XL, correct?
tfunk02
AG
Yes, just the XL.

I went with the LG V30 mostly for the nice headphone jack. I was lucky on the screen. No splotches or weirdness, just some black crush under 5%. The best part for me has been the battery life. Even with pretty heavy use, I've gotten over 30 hours.
2012Ag
AG
Endo Ag said:

I've had mine for a few days now and absolutely love it. Battery life is amazing.
dubi
AG
YouBet said:

dubi said:

Endo Ag said:

AT&T

I was looking for a cash deal and not paying AT&T monthly. I see places to by an S8 online; I just don't see the S8 active.
Aero95
AG
I'm very happy with an unlocked V20 on VZW. Replaceable battery and SD card are requirements for me. Wired audio quality with good ear buds is fantastic. There have been regular deals on slickdeals lately.
YouBet
AG
dubi said:

YouBet said:

dubi said:

Endo Ag said:

AT&T

I was looking for a cash deal and not paying AT&T monthly. I see places to by an S8 online; I just don't see the S8 active.
When I purchased about a month ago it was still exclusive to AT&T. May not be available in the wild yet.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Aero95 said:

I'm very happy with an unlocked V20 on VZW. Replaceable battery and SD card are requirements for me. Wired audio quality with good ear buds is fantastic. There have been regular deals on slickdeals lately.

V20,

Double tap to shut down and the index fingerprint on the back power button to turn on tickle me silly,

Sound on my Bose headphones is amazing and the off brand replaceable battery kicks ass
Ag12thman
AG
Any update on how you're like it and/or how it's working for you???
AggieDruggist89
AG
Fantastic!!!

Iove it. Friend of mine ordered one also. Really, the last flagship phone with a replaceable battery.

Idle battery life is awesome. Fully charged at night, it's down to 99 or 98% in AM. Calculates over 300 hours remaining. Will try to get a screen shot.
dubi
AG
Cost? Can buy unlocked?
AggieDruggist89
AG
B&H $349

I took a chance and bought a brand new sealed box T-mobile phone for $310 off ebay. Working fine.
flakrat
AG
Is the bloat removed from the phone? Side from that. I've been an Android user for years and one of my biggest gripes is OS creep that's tied up in the providers and manufacturers.

I not that carrier bloat will be addressed, but 'm strongly considering switching to iPhone in the future from my current S7 Edge.
AggieDruggist89
AG
flakrat said:

Is the bloat removed from the phone? Side from that. I've been an Android user for years and one of my biggest gripes is OS creep that's tied up in the providers and manufacturers.

I not that carrier bloat will be addressed, but 'm strongly considering switching to iPhone in the future from my current S7 Edge.

Samsung and AT&T definitely loaded more crap. Right now my LG has 2 LG apps and 4 T-mobile apps. I actually like The mobile apps.

This is pretty clean.
evan_aggie
AG
iPhone 7.

I was all Android the first few smart phones I owned. I had a S2, S4, S4-mini and then bailed. I'm glad I did and have never looked back.
AggieDruggist89
AG
When idle, battery use is almost none.

AggieDruggist89
AG
evan_aggie said:

iPhone 7.

I was all Android the first few smart phones I owned. I had a S2, S4, S4-mini and then bailed. I'm glad I did and have never looked back.

IPhone 7 is available in Android?

Android has come a long way since S2 and S4 days...
evan_aggie
AG
I don't think Android will ever really compete with the user experience, performance, and battery life of an iPhone.

Apple controls the entire ecosystem vertically; they have a clear advantage that enabled so much of their success. Samsung is getting there, but will always be reactive to some Android changes.

AggieDruggist89
AG
evan_aggie said:

I don't think Android will ever really compete with the user experience, performance, and battery life of an iPhone.

Apple controls the entire ecosystem vertically; they have a clear advantage that enabled so much of their success. Samsung is getting there, but will always be reactive to some Android changes.

Don't want to turn this into an ios vs. Android.

But how fast can you go from 0% battery to 100% charge? It takes me about 20 seconds. How do you increase the memory on your phone? Oh wait, you can't. I can just pop in a micro SD.

Samsung isn't the only Android phone manufacturer. There are many. And Apple is playing catch up now.. wireless charge..etc.

User experience is subjective. You like your iphone. Some of us don't. iTunes is.. well just that. Android led the way of streaming. And now Apple is playing catch up. Cellphone cameras on Android have the likes of Leica in Huawei with full manual control, that Apple is having to play catch up. Apple can't compete with all different Android phone manufacturers.

iPhone is for teenagers.
RangerRick9211
AG
evan_aggie said:

****, a thread specifically asking about Android phone recommendations.

I must share the good news of our Lord and Savior Apple to these lost souls.
RebAg13
AG
I'd get the essential phone for $500
evan_aggie
AG
It goes beyond just the iPhone too. iMessages are shared across devices and photo sharing is all combined through the iCloud service, so folks who use Macs can easily respond to texts without having to whip out their phone all the time at work (or at home). iTunes is not a factor: streaming services have popped up that fit most people's needs regardless of the ecosystem.

I have no doubt that the new S7, S8 aren't massive improvements and have newer features that even Apple is late to add. But there is a reason: they really don't have to, and people will still buy their products to remain in their ecosystem.

I've used both: Android for 5+ years and iOS for a little less than 2, and I have no intention of going back.

Have you used an iPhone for a year or so?
dubi
AG
I'm ok with the iphone BS on my thread; I am an Apple user (iphone, ipad, Macbook pro).

I am specifically asking for spawn #2 who is the only Android user in our family. Carry on!
evan_aggie
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

evan_aggie said:

****, a thread specifically asking about Android phone recommendations.

I must share the good news of our Lord and Savior Apple to these lost souls.

Hey, it'd be like starting a thread with, "Which Dae Woo vehicle should I buy my kid?"
Ag12thman
AG
I have used Apple for 3 years and I am never going back to iOS. It's boring compared to Android. Android is much more modifiable and many apps work better on their platform. This is just my opinion, obviously. Many love Apple and that's fine. I got so tired of iPhone after a while and also kept having issues with one of the phones I had freezing. Kept having to do a hard-rest. I've had my Note 5 for over 2 years now and have had no issues and love it. Android is much more customizable and, as mentioned above, you can chose from many great phones like the LG V20 (and now V30) and Samsung's, Motorola's, and many other's lines of phones.
AggieDruggist89
AG
evan_aggie said:

It goes beyond just the iPhone too. iMessages are shared across devices and photo sharing is all combined through the iCloud service, so folks who use Macs can easily respond to texts without having to whip out their phone all the time at work (or at home). iTunes is not a factor: streaming services have popped up that fit most people's needs regardless of the ecosystem.

I have no doubt that the new S7, S8 aren't massive improvements and have newer features that even Apple is late to add. But there is a reason: they really don't have to, and people will still buy their products to remain in their ecosystem.

I've used both: Android for 5+ years and iOS for a little less than 2, and I have no intention of going back.

Have you used an iPhone for a year or so?

Of course you'll settle and wait for what Apple gives you. Are you people out of your mind paying $1000 for a cellphone? Pre-ordering.. waiting.. having seizures.. It's just a freaking cellphone man.

Yeah.. made a huge mistake of trying macbook air and imac. Friend convinced me I really should try for photos and videos. Spent $3,000 and bought both. I tossed the air and sold it and imac collects dust on my wife's desk.

I hate them.

But for you.. Don't settle, Evan.

evan_aggie
AG
I'm actually the most neutral apple user you'll find. I don't own a mac laptop. I have an Ipad with a keyboard attachment that I use on vacation trips. I've never pre-ordered, or waited in line.

I bought an iPhoneSE (my first iPhone) with the 6s processor because I wanted a smaller phone and didn't want to pay over $450 for an unlocked one. All of the "zippy" Androids were going 4.7"+. Now I may be stuck wondering if I am going to join the fray and get a full size iPhone next generation around. I just know it won't be an android.
agracer
AG
evan_aggie said:

Has apple figured out that whole attach more than a single file to an e-mail thing yet??? Didn't think so.

Or even the part where you they disable features (that worked fine on week, but then an incremental update comes out and suddenly it stops working) when you have a different version of iOS than another user (like facetime, calendar, e-mail). So they force you to upgrade your operating system and your phone is now almost useless b/c it's so slowyeahgreat user experience there.
bco2003
AG
I'm going to be able to purchase a V30 on Monday through my company for $340. Seems like a good deal.

Currently have a Nexus 6. Any reason I wouldn't want to do this?
AggieDruggist89
AG
bco2003 said:

I'm going to be able to purchase a V30 on Monday through my company for $340. Seems like a good deal.

Currently have a Nexus 6. Any reason I wouldn't want to do this?

Buy 2!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.