New android phone--what would you buy?

34,579 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FatZilla
Maximus_Meridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CoolaidWade said:

I'm thinking of switching to android for no other reason other then i'm bored with my iphone. I've had one since the 3 or 4. I use all the google apps and Google Music is the one I'm paying for so it makes sense?

I have about 200g of music so can I put that on a SD drive and use it on a android phone? It's all on Google Music's music locker right now but it would be nice to have whenever I'm somewhere without access. In airplane mode, for example.

I know the new iphone has a 256gb model so that would be a great option as well. I still have the Iphone 6 so another option is I can replace the battery for next to free.

If I switch to android I'd probably lean towards the pixel.

The Pixel maxes out at 128 gigs and doesn't accept SD cards, so you wouldn't be able to put it all on there (and honestly, do you really need ALL of that at any one time?). I think the only one that fits what you're asking above is the LG V30, which accepts up to 2 TB of external SD storage, if memory serves.
Al Bula
AG
I just switched from a 6S to a Pixel 2. This is only my second Android, last one was in 2011 and was a disaster (Moto Atrix 4G).

Tired of being a slave to iTunes for music and photo transferring. I'll give this Pixel 2 a shot for 2 weeks. Android hasn't really gotten more impressive as an OS but it is still more flexible.

Pros
The camera on this phone seems really really good.
Good size. I have been long turned off by the Android phablets but Pixel isn't much bigger than the 6S.
Screen manipulation seems easier to move apps around and drop a cursor exactly where you want
Not as much junk installed that I don't use

Cons
Fingerprint reader on the back of device
Didn't come with a data transfer cable in box
Steeper learning curve than iOS evening after owning an Android previously
Losing out on friends and family that have iOS

Seems like a really solid device so far just not sure I will keep. Feeling very good right now not being confined to Apple's ecosystem but missing simplicity and user experience of iOS.
_lefraud_
AG
YouBet said:

I just checked out the Blackberry Keyone after seeing one in the wild last night.

I may pull the trigger on this and replace my S8 Active I've only had for a few months. Financially dumb but the thought of having a physical keyboard with Android OS gives me a boner. There is almost nothing worse in nerdom than virtual keyboards on phones.
I got a Keyone last week and really impressed. I've had a blackberry for the past 10 years, and was about to finally give up on them when my phone broke a few weeks back. Decided on giving the Keyone a shot, and while the size is a tad heavy/large, overall its amazing.
Iowaggie
AG
It's been 6 months since the LG V30 came out.
Any users of it have feedback on it, either good or bad?
ktownag08
AG
Wife and I have had a V30 since early December. My only knock on the phone is that I still wish it was a tad smaller.

Otherwise, it's quick, takes good pics/video, and neither of us have had any problems with it.
The Fife
Have they finally pushed an Oreo update for it?
ktownag08
AG
Not yet, supposed to happen any time now.
94chem
If I get a phone with a USB-Type C port, does that mean that I have to get rid of all my old data/charge cables, and that I can't ever borrow a charger (like i-phone owners who always seem offended that I don't have a pile of stupid i-phone chargers for them)?

I assume the answer is yes, based on earlier comments in this thread.
The Fife
Nope, there are USB A-> C cables you can use to charge from any traditional wall wart or computer. And there are also dongles so you can use existing cables. Not sure whether they'll fast charge or not, but it's better than nothing.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I'm sure this has probably been asked, but I'm not reading this whole thing again looking for it. Is there a current Android phone that's equivalent in size to the iPhone SE/5? My wife thinks her 6s is too big, and we may be switching over when her phone kicks the bucket depending on what Apple does with the SE.
DeBoss
AG
Not sure what size, but I think the new Moto G6 isn't supposed to be too big. And it's cheap.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
heddleston
AG
Refurbished Pixel 1s (regular and xl) are on woot today, starting around $205 for the 32gb and $245 for 128. pretty good deal of youre looking for a cheaper phone. I'll probably upgrade my wife and I from our respective Nexus 5x and Amazon Fire phones. Holy crap is that fire phone the suck.
DeBoss
AG
OnePlus 6 was just released. Pretty impressive specs without a lot of extras. Base model is $529 for the same hardware as the $1000 phones.
The Fife
Pulled the plug on a Note 8 on Swappa yesterday evening. I replaced the battery on my Nexus 6P two months ago and it was great for the first 45 days or so, but I see the new one starting to glitch out a bit (drops 2% at a time) and I've gone back to having to charge more than once every 24 hours with 3 hours SOT or less. I've been on plain vanilla Android for 5 years now, hopefully I won't end up missing it that much.

I need to pick up a microSD card sometime soon. I see 128GB cards on Amazon in two clusters - Samsung, Kingston and Sandisk for about $40 and other brands I haven't heard of for half that. Do they go on sale very often? In the meantime I can just pull the 64GB card from my brother's GalaxyTab, he hardly put anything on it so there's plenty of room.
dubi
AG
Sandisk has pretty frequent sales.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I'm thinking I will shy away from used and refurbed phones. The last 2 purchases were brand new (LG V20 for $300 and OP5T). Phones are going strong.

Before that, I may have purchased a string of 4 to 5 refurbed. All Samsung. They fared well but started to get bogged down after year or 2. Then again, those were older and I guess even a new phone can do the same.

Mh biggest dissatisfier is the lack of replaceable battery. That's why I'm holding on to the last flagship with replaceable battery LG V20. I don't know what I'm going to do next. Sigh.
The Fife
Posted directly or through Amazon/somewhere else?
The Fife
My wife gets absurd screen on time with her V20. Last time I checked it wasn't dead yet and just under 5 hours. The speed and color balance on the camera are its biggest weaknesses. She still wants to take as many pictures of our toddler with my N6P as possible because unless he's in motion they come out better.

What we really need is an actual camera for this sort of thing but for the purposes of catching him in the moment and throwing it up on IG or whatever that's a bit more work.
dubi
AG
The Fife said:

Posted directly or through Amazon/somewhere else?
I get some non-Amazon deal of the day email that frequently has them. I'll post the link next time I get one.
dubi
AG
I subscribe to a daily email from DealNews that sends me deeply discounted sales.

SD cards are a common item.
AggieDruggist89
AG
The Fife said:

My wife gets absurd screen on time with her V20. Last time I checked it wasn't dead yet and just under 5 hours. The speed and color balance on the camera are its biggest weaknesses. She still wants to take as many pictures of our toddler with my N6P as possible because unless he's in motion they come out better.

What we really need is an actual camera for this sort of thing but for the purposes of catching him in the moment and throwing it up on IG or whatever that's a bit more work.

U know, the DNG picture file needs to be post processed. It's 22mb raw like file that looks bleached. PP in Snapseed. Picture quality should be awesome.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Just got the new S9+ last night. So far I'm really liking it, but I'm waiting on a screen protector before I switch my SIM over and sell my current phone.
The Fife
Bought a Note 8 off Swappa this weekend. The battery on my Nexus 6P was starting to fail... again... and at this point it's about the 3rd or 4th hardware repair I've had to do on it so it's time to sell.

I'm still getting used to the slightly different way Samsung does things at this point. Not sure if I'm going to install gboard or not... It looks like they've improved their software a lot in the last 3 years or so.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
I've already got a different launcher/icon pack and g-board on my new phone. The samsung keyboard is OK, but the button locations are slightly different so it's not quite as easy to type. I might test it out a bit more, since it lets you do the new animated gif stickers of yourself, but I've mostly figured out all the apps/settings I like and am just slightly tweaking them to take advangate of hardware/software changes.
The Fife
Cool. I'm curious about any tricks you figure out.

I've mostly been fixing notification sounds and setting up/logging into various things. It's weird but I have a lot of them customized (as in my sound files which are not included in the stock software load). Also fixed the button layout at the bottom so that it's more like what every other Android OEM has.

I still need to set up Samsung Pay since I hear it works everywhere, and edge apps which TBH seem a little redundant with the home screen. The pen has been super useful already - no more scribbling crap on the back of a receipt or whatever to keep track of a to-do list.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Does your note have a bixby button? Bixby is kind of useless IMO, but I found an app that let me reprogram the button to launch whatever app I want - now I have a dedicated camera button! I use nova launcher with custom icons and meteor swipe instead of the built in edge apps.
The Fife
Yeah it's got that. As much as people complain about the button, I have yet to accidentally press it. I'm not quite sure what I'd like the button to do, TBH. Maybe Waze since I use it twice daily?

You can also double tap the power button to bring up the camera BTW.

What I'm really missing is the ability to hit the wake button and raise/lower the system volume without unlocking the phone. I'm used to doing that going all the way back to my Nokia N82 which ran Symbian.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
I've got the emergency ping feature turned on, which is a triple tap of the power button, so the dedicated button seemed like a not terrible idea. I can always pick a different app if it seems more useful. I haven't accidentally pressed the Bixby button at all, but it seems like such a waste of a button.
Ag12thman
AG
Are we already up to the Note 9 at this point? I still have the Note 5. It's starting to slow down and doesn't seem to be handling the updates as well as it used to, probably mainly due to age. It's been a very good phone, though - probably the best one I've ever had.
harge57
AG
Are there any alternatives to Active models? Have a galaxy 5 now, looking to upgrade.

Things that are important to me.
Battery life
Water resistance
Ruggedness
Attachable storage (I store a lot of maps and podcasts.)
WiFi calling

I use my phone on backcountry hunts as a GPS.
FincAg
AG
Blackberry KEYone
harge57
AG
harge57 said:

Are there any alternatives to Active models? Have a galaxy 5 now, looking to upgrade.

Things that are important to me.
Battery life
Water resistance
Ruggedness
Attachable storage (I store a lot of maps and podcasts.)
WiFi calling

I use my phone on backcountry hunts as a GPS.
dubi
AG
Would y'all buy a Galaxy S9 for $589?

Newegg deal for today. $639-$50 Newegg giftcard

Link

/EDIT. I see why it is so cheap; it is international version so warranty would be an issue.
harge57
AG
Would tall take a chance on a galaxy s7 active refurbished or just buy new?

It's $499 vs $279.

The Fife
Ag12thman said:

Are we already up to the Note 9 at this point? I still have the Note 5. It's starting to slow down and doesn't seem to be handling the updates as well as it used to, probably mainly due to age. It's been a very good phone, though - probably the best one I've ever had.
Later this year it comes out. Something like October.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.