New android phone--what would you buy?

34,542 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FatZilla
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bumped this for the holiday crowd.

My current phone is dying slowly. It's a windows phone (I know, I know). It has treated me good this past 3-4 years though. But windows OS is no longer really a thing.

So jumping back into the Android world. And man, did I miss a bunch of stuff. Got a lot of research to do. But price will be the most important attribute at this point. Like sub $400. Lolpoor college kid again. Plus, I am done buying flagships and utilizing maybe 5% of its power. I have finally realized what I need a phone for. Which is not much. Basic communications and very light app use. That is it. Older gens are fine at this point.

So need help and eyes out there for good holiday specials going on or as they pop up. Only real reqs I have is GSM unlocked.

TIA
AgsMyDude
AG
I'd take a strong look at the Motorola G5 plus at that price point. The 64Gb unlocked version can be had for $239 right now.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g-plus-5th-gen-4g-lte-with-64gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-lunar-gray/5764600.p?skuId=5764600

Some reviews.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/24/15045140/moto-g5-plus-review-price-specs-value

https://www.cnet.com/products/motorola-moto-g5-plus/review/

SlobberKnock
AG
Bought a sub 300 lg v20 and loving it. Snappy 820, replaceable batt., quick charge, sd card, hifi dac. Not regretting decision. My nexus 6 was getting long in the tooth...
AggieDruggist89
AG
SlobberKnock said:

Bought a sub 300 lg v20 and loving it. Snappy 820, replaceable batt., quick charge, sd card, hifi dac. Not regretting decision. My nexus 6 was getting long in the tooth...

Yup, I just picked up a 128GB micro SD and contemplating buying a 1,000 mah battery. Because I can.
Ag12thman
AG
SlobberKnock said:

My wife just bought one too, and she really loves it. She had a Galaxy S6 before it and she says there is no comparison between the two. I think we spent a little less than $300 as well -- well worth it. (Sorry about breaking rule #1, but it can't be helped.)
dubi
AG
Where did you buy it?
Ag12thman
AG
Amazon - it has been a few weeks.
AggieDruggist89
AG
B&H has the AT&T model (H920) and Amazon has both AT&T and T-mobile model (H918).

2 of my close friends converted to V20 from iPhone past 30 days. They love it.
Ag12thman
AG
Screw iPhone. Android is the way to go.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ag12thman said:

Screw iPhone. Android is the way to go.

Now now... Juveniles need their imessage and iTunes... and the notch on their Flagship screen
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Hennessy11 said:

I'd take a strong look at the Motorola G5 plus at that price point. The 64Gb unlocked version can be had for $239 right now.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g-plus-5th-gen-4g-lte-with-64gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-lunar-gray/5764600.p?skuId=5764600Went with the Moto G5S Plus 32GB, adding 64GB microSD for additional storage.
Got a Moto G5S Plus - wanted at least 3GB RAM, 5.5" screen, One touch button. (Upgrade from 4 year old phone)
Bought at BHPhoto for ~$230.
I really like my G5S+, but I was so far out of date from a Galaxy S4 Active that I am having to relearn how to use my phone. Phone is very peppy by comparison.

G5 Plus is 5.2" screen, 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM for $240 is an amazing deal.

Link to BH Photo - Moto G5 phones
Eliminatus
AG
Oh wow, Guess I accidentally unwatched this thread.

Some good stuff here. Thanks.

Taking a HARD look at the G5 now.

I can wait a bit longer so still waiting to see if anyone does a Blackberry KeyOne sale sometime. I don't know why I want that phone in particular, but I do.Guess I just really miss my BB Curve. Definitely keeping an eye out on these though and if BB does not pan out, will snatch one of these by years end.

Thanks again!
The Fife
AggieDruggist89 said:

B&H has the AT&T model (H920) and Amazon has both AT&T and T-mobile model (H918).

For someone coming from an iPhone 6 how is it? My wife has one (or a 6S?) and keeps bugging me about Android for some reason but I'm worried she'd completely hate it or not like the camera after a day or two.
AgsMyDude
AG
Np, thought that might be a good one to look at. Good luck!
AggieDruggist89
AG
The Fife said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

For someone coming from an iPhone 6 how is it? My wife has one (or a 6S?) and keeps bugging me about Android for some reason but I'm worried she'd completely hate it or not like the camera after a day or two.

Both my friends went to V20 from iPhone 6 and they love it. Remember, android is much more customizable than an iPhone and LG's camera in manual mode and Raw files require some knowledge. And for those who want to tinker, it's great. And if your wife doesn't like it, you can use it. I know you like to tinker with things.
Ag12thman
AG
Yep - my wife is living her V20.
DeBoss
AG
So trying to find a new android. My blackberry is just too slow for simple apps and its frustrating Looking at priorities:

1. Waterproof
2. Shatterproof screen
3. Wireless charging
4. Good camera
5. Not $800

So I've considered Note8 (cost), Pixel 2 XL (no wireless, cost), Essential (no waterproof or wireless), Oneplus 5T (no waterproof or wireless), and Moto Z-Force (no water or wireless).

Any other suggestions or ideas? I know Samsung has everything I want, but i get so tired of all the Samsung apps that come preloaded on there. Really want a pure Android phone so it stays faster longer.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
DeBoss said:

So trying to find a new android. My blackberry is just too slow for simple apps and its frustrating Looking at priorities:

1. Waterproof
2. Shatterproof screen
3. Wireless charging
4. Good camera
5. Not $800

So I've considered Note8 (cost), Pixel 2 XL (no wireless, cost), Essential (no waterproof or wireless), Oneplus 5T (no waterproof or wireless), and Moto Z-Force (no water or wireless).

Any other suggestions or ideas? I know Samsung has everything I want, but i get so tired of all the Samsung apps that come preloaded on there. Really want a pure Android phone so it stays faster longer.

LG G6, sub $600, wireless charging, and passes 810g military standard testing. And LG Android has minimal bloat ware.
ag09
AG
Blackberry keyone?
FatZilla
AG
DeBoss said:

1. Waterproof
2. Shatterproof screen
3. Wireless charging
4. Good camera
5. Not $800

Samsung + root + custom rom on it. Best of everything. Zero bloat, full customization and runs much better than stock on the most popular roms. Can find everything you need on this site.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/
The Fife
Can you root all variants of the Note and S8? I thought there were some that still wasn't possible for yet.
AgsMyDude
AG
I don't believe the snapdragon variants of the S8 are rootable. And you'll only be able to load TouchWiz Roms which I've read aren't nearly as good as the AOSP types.
Ag12thman
AG
DeBoss said:

1. Waterproof
2. Shatterproof screen
3. Wireless charging
4. Good camera
5. Not $800

I love the Note phones (I currently have the Note 5), but I am with you --- I really hate all the BLOAT that comes on the Samsung line phones. I want pure Android as well and am thinking of looking at one of the Google phones pretty soon. My wife does love her V20 as well, but I believe it also has some bloatware.
DeBoss
AG
Anyone have the LG V30 and like it? Looks like it checks all the boxes currently, just wasn't sure how much extra stuff was on there.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
Ag12thman
AG
I've always wanted to try rooting my Note 5 (especially since it's now older), but always got lost in the technicality of it. Just kind of chicken to try it out of fear of winding up bricking the phone. Seriously, how difficult is the process???
bco2003
AG
DeBoss said:

Anyone have the LG V30 and like it? Looks like it checks all the boxes currently, just wasn't sure how much extra stuff was on there.

I've had one for about a month and it is the best phone I've ever had. I got a deal on it through my employer for about $350 so that certainly helps my opinion of it.

Not too much bloatware.
AggieDruggist89
AG
DeBoss said:

I have v20. Almost none.
AgsMyDude
AG
My G3 had way too much bloatware but that was a few models back.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ag12thman said:

I've always wanted to try rooting my Note 5 (especially since it's now older), but always got lost in the technicality of it. Just kind of chicken to try it out of fear of winding up bricking the phone. Seriously, how difficult is the process???

I rooted a note 2 four years ago. Threw the phone into a boot loop. Never do that again.
Ag12thman
AG
Exactly my concern! Thanks.
FatZilla
AG
Ag12thman said:

Very simple really. Most older phone have automated tools to do it now. The only thing you will want to do it pick out your rom and get it downloaded and possibly a new kernal if you want it.
FatZilla
AG
The Fife said:

Can you root all variants of the Note and S8? I thought there were some that still wasn't possible for yet.
S8 seems to have some but I think the Note is still locked down pretty well.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/development

S8 has some methods directly from ODIN or from something called FlashFire. Not sure on it since I dont own an S8.

Ag12thman
AG
FatZilla said:

Ag12thman said:

Very simple really. Most older phone have automated tools to do it now. The only thing you will want to do it pick out your rom and get it downloaded and possibly a new kernal if you want it.
Great! But, what is a ROM and a Kernal? LOL - I am not very versed in this sort of thing. I am pretty good with computers and cell phones and can do pretty much anything, though. Mine is the Note 5 with AT&T. I guess there are instructions on the site you mentioned?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ag12thman said:

FatZilla said:

Ag12thman said:

Great! But, what is a ROM and a Kernal? LOL - I am not very versed in this sort of thing. I am pretty good with computers and cell phones and can do pretty much anything, though. Mine is the Note 5 with AT&T. I guess there are instructions on the site you mentioned?

Dude... Leave it alone....
FatZilla
AG
Ag12thman said:

FatZilla said:

Ag12thman said:

If you really want to get into it, i would just start by googling rooting an android phone and learn the basics. It doesnt hurt. Some phones are not easily rootable or never will be rootable. Just have to look around and see.

Here is the note 5 site.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/note5

It takes time and it can break your phone still. So learn, ask questions and then try it after. the XDA site is a great resource if your new.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.