New android phone--what would you buy?

34,554 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FatZilla
FatZilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

I'm honestly not sure that I know the difference between normal USB and USB-C, so I don't know if I have any of the "C" version or not.

Do you think spending the extra money for the "Dash" charge cables is worth it? I see a two pack on Amazon for ~$14.

C uses a different port on the phone so normal charging cables will not work. C can also accept more charge throughput so the cables need to be able to handle it. And to your question, no. Thats a ripoff. Plenty of usb to C or C to C cables for much cheaper on amazon. Whatever your charger requires for a port will determine your cables "x" to C.
agracer
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

I'm honestly not sure that I know the difference between normal USB and USB-C, so I don't know if I have any of the "C" version or not.

Do you think spending the extra money for the "Dash" charge cables is worth it? I see a two pack on Amazon for ~$14.
As noted, C is just the connection at the phone.

USB Cables Explained

The cord will plug into the power plug with USB-A (which is universally referred to as "USB"). The phone port is USB-C.

So you want USB A to USB-C Cables.

Some cables are a lot cheaper than $14/2, but some of them are also poorly made. I've always had good luck with Mono-Price.com cables.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I pulled the trigger this morning - paid for the expedited shipping to have it later this week.

Will procure cables later this week. I've had lots of luck with Monoprice for my cable needs over the years, but the ones are Amazon are probably going to get my money this time.

Looking forward to getting it in my hands.
FatZilla
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

I pulled the trigger this morning - paid for the expedited shipping to have it later this week.

Will procure cables later this week. I've had lots of luck with Monoprice for my cable needs over the years, but the ones are Amazon are probably going to get my money this time.

Looking forward to getting it in my hands.

Amazon Basics cables are good quality if you find any. Its my goto brand now instead of monoprice due to their shipping costs and long lead times.
AgsMyDude
AG
I would most definitely get a dash charge car adapter from the OnePlus site, it does come with a cable. Dash charge is not some sort of gimmick. I can plug my OP5 in at 5% and easily be at 75% 25 mins later.

It's nice in the car to get that super quick charge if just driving a few minutes.
reb,
AG
Get braided USB cables so they last longer and don't part to show exposed wire where the tip meets the wire. Worth the premium for me.

I remember when I used to know phone's
The Fife
Wife ordered a V20 from Swappa yesterday. Guess she liked my Nexus 5 enough to switch. I'm wondering how long it'll take her to discover jumbo sized batteries on Amazon so she can keep up her Animal Crossing addiction even later at night.
reb,
AG
The Fife said:

Wife ordered a V20 from Swappa yesterday. Guess she liked my Nexus 5 enough to switch. I'm wondering how long it'll take her to discover jumbo sized batteries on Amazon so she can keep up her Animal Crossing addiction even later at night.
you are still rockin the nexus 5?
The Fife
No, I have a 6P. The Nexus 5 was starting to bootloop when I replaced it about 2 years ago but then somehow recovered so I've kept it around on a charger as a backup. You don't need it until all of a sudden one of us really, really needs it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
The Fife said:

Your wife will quickly need to learn that V20 is no teenagers iPhone. She will have a steep learning curve to get comfortable with every new little tricks to customize this beast. Hope she can get over the hump.

And yes, the 1,000 mHz battery... I'm thinking about buying it.
94chem
Just got a Huawei P8 lite for $100. Apparently they released it twice. I got the cheaper earlier release. The P9 was still a little rich for my blood. Someday maybe they'll make a smaller smartphone again for us old fogies who don't feel comfortable with a $1000 device tucked 2" into our skinny jeans.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Just ordered OP5T 128 GB with student discount for $503 for Mrs.
AgsMyDude
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Just ordered OP5T 128 GB with student discount for $503 for Mrs.
The Fife
AggieDruggist89 said:

The Fife said:

Your wife will quickly need to learn that V20 is no teenagers iPhone. She will have a steep learning curve to get comfortable with every new little tricks to customize this beast. Hope she can get over the hump.

And yes, the 1,000 mHz battery... I'm thinking about buying it.
I'm not sure if that's a fast or slow battery...

Her phone came in yesterday and she's looking into a return already because it takes blurry pictures. I'd need somebody to post a picture of their rear camera glass to be sure, but I think the one on hers was broken and replaced at some point. It was definitely plastic and I saw FOD inside the area with the two camera lenses. During cleaning I discovered a scratch on the center of the wide angle camera which explains why those pictures look like a total disaster.

Even after cleaning in manual or auto mode it performs nowhere near as well as my Nexus 6P does. I jokingly suggested she get one like mine and immediately swap the battery, but that just pissed her off. Anyway, whoever she bought it from on Swapaa is a business and there's a 30 day exchange policy so that should hopefully be able to get it done and she can have fun with the Nexus 5 some more.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Sorry, I meant 10,000 mhz battery.

V20 has auto and Manual picture modes. In manual, it generates 2 files; jpg and DNG. The DNG is a 22mb RAW file that can look blurry. But it's not. It requires processing.

Also, take a picture in auto mode not using the wide angle lens and she will see its not blurry.

Like I said, it has a learning curve, unfortunately.

AggieDruggist89
AG
I will take a picture of a V20 camera using my V20 and post a Pic when I get to work.
The Fife
AggieDruggist89 said:

Also, take a picture in auto mode not using the wide angle lens and she will see its not blurry.

No... those didn't come out as clear as my 6P either. The best comparison would be with pictures taken by my Nexus 5 or Nokia N82. Not bad, but definitely not 16MP level of clarity and it appears to be detecting lower light levels than there really are.

My theory is that when someone replaced the camera glass they also left FOD around the sensors on the far right. We already know they damaged the wide angle camera and left debris in there, so it's not an unreasonable assumption IMO.

I'm not blaming the hardware, only the dingbat that damaged it.
Ezra Brooks
AG
My 5t came in yesterday.

Having fun getting everything set-up/optimized.

I'm impressed so far.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

My 5t came in yesterday.

I'm impressed so far.

I'm surprised it ships out of Hong Kong.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Shipping address said it came out of California.

Tracking had it to be delivered on Wednesday but the Storm delayed it a day.
AgsMyDude
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Ezra Brooks said:

My 5t came in yesterday.

I'm impressed so far.

I'm surprised it ships out of Hong Kong.
OnePlus has a view distribution locations around the world. My OP5 came from Europe.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Makes sense as Android marketshare is much larger in Europe and Asia.

If they want to grow in the US market, they need to offer $24 per month payment option through a carrier.
AggieDruggist89
AG
V20 camera

agracer
AG
The Fife said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

No... those didn't come out as clear as my 6P either. The best comparison would be with pictures taken by my Nexus 5 or Nokia N82. Not bad, but definitely not 16MP level of clarity and it appears to be detecting lower light levels than there really are.

My theory is that when someone replaced the camera glass they also left FOD around the sensors on the far right. We already know they damaged the wide angle camera and left debris in there, so it's not an unreasonable assumption IMO.

I'm not blaming the hardware, only the dingbat that damaged it.
Not to be a nerd or anything, but the MP has nothing to do with the 'clarity' of the image.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Not to be a nerd or anything, but the MP has nothing to do with the 'clarity' of the image.

Sorry, this does make you a nerd.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Well.... MP do matter for clarity when pixel peeping...

Pictures from my 50.6mp camera can pixel peep clearly long time.
The Fife
Yeah it was missing that top level of bump that yours has.

But anyway they ok'd the return since the camera behind the glass was obviously scratched which was not as advertised. The plastic lens looked brand new, for all I know their shop replaced it and someone there goofed.

She'll get another sometime in a day or two as far as I know, whenever it arrives. It's better to leave her on her own with this sort of thing.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm currently waffling between the iphone x and pixel 2.

I have a bloated out note 4. I won't buy any android phone from a carrier ever again.

I've had iphone before and liked them a lot because...well..they work all the time for me. But the pixel seems nice too. Not sure what to do. I really like the continuity and backup functionality that android seems to just completely ignore. Kinda want to ditch it just because of the blatant disregard of a very nice feature for a bunch of gimmicky ***** On top of that, the pixel has a bezel.....lol. unless im wrong? Maybe I need to be comparing it to the iphone 8.....

Alas....what to do....
AggieDruggist89
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I'm currently waffling between the iphone x and pixel 2.

I have a bloated out note 4. I won't buy any android phone from a carrier ever again.

I've had iphone before and liked them a lot because...well..they work all the time for me. But the pixel seems nice too. Not sure what to do. I really like the continuity and backup functionality that android seems to just completely ignore. Kinda want to ditch it just because of the blatant disregard of a very nice feature for a bunch of gimmicky ***** On top of that, the pixel has a bezel.....lol. unless im wrong? Maybe I need to be comparing it to the iphone 8.....

Alas....what to do....

One of my staff converted from iPhone to pixel2, Verizon, $350 outright purchase.
agracer
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Well.... MP do matter for clarity when pixel peeping...

Pictures from my 50.6mp camera can pixel peep clearly long time.
Not if the sensor is 2.3mm vs a full frame sensor...

A 20mp full frame sensor will blow your typical camera phone out of the water regardless of it's MP count.
AggieDruggist89
AG
OP5T came in today, 1 day early from HK.
94chem
Quote:

I really like the continuity and backup functionality that android seems to just completely ignore.
Sorry to be ignorant, but what do you mean by this? Can't you back up stuff from Android phones on a Google account?

Last time I owned an Apple product (ipod shuffle), it tried to sync up everything whenever I plugged it into my computer. I just wanted to drag files onto it, but it seemed to insist that everything was "synced." It started deleting stuff I didn't want deleted. I just said "screw it," why do I need iTunes when I can just get music off Youtube or my old cd's and put it on a generic mp3 player.
BrazosDog02
AG
You can back up 'stuff' on android to google, but without third party software, there is no way to back up your phone as a unit. IN other words, all my car data is backed up, my contacts are backed up, etc...but if I erase my phone right now, It's up to me to recall what apps I had and go get them all. There used to be some back up software for this, but you had to buy it and it was third party and it only mostly kinda worked.

iPhone...back up....reset phone...restore. Done in less than 10 minutes. Fast. Easy. Native.

Continuity is completey different. That is where I can have my phone, ipad and macbook all linked. So, when I am at my desk working on my macbook, and I realize i left my phone in the living room (or at home), I can still make and recieve calls and texts on all apple devices I have. I can even type out a text on my mac and continue it on my phone. Or I can start on my phone, realize its going to be a long text, and pick it up on my mac where i have a keyboard. Its continuously synced and linked. It's so useful I cannot believe Google and Android havn't simply copied the technology...lawsuits be damned.

I like a lot about my android phone....but there are a few features on Apple devices that I can give up everything on my Android for. It's a huge advantage to write the software for one type of device you create like APple does. However, Pixel and Android are similar, but it doesnt seem to have any of this.
AgsMyDude
AG
Google has been working on this and the backup stuff has VASTLY improved. Developers can now backup app data to your account and it is restored when you get a new device.

When you login to your new device for the first time you can chose to restore from cloud and it will download and import all your apps that were backed up on your old device.
AggieDruggist89
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

You can back up 'stuff' on android to google, but without third party software, there is no way to back up your phone as a unit. IN other words, all my car data is backed up, my contacts are backed up, etc...but if I erase my phone right now, It's up to me to recall what apps I had and go get them all. There used to be some back up software for this, but you had to buy it and it was third party and it only mostly kinda worked.

iPhone...back up....reset phone...restore. Done in less than 10 minutes. Fast. Easy. Native.

Continuity is completey different. That is where I can have my phone, ipad and macbook all linked. So, when I am at my desk working on my macbook, and I realize i left my phone in the living room (or at home), I can still make and recieve calls and texts on all apple devices I have. I can even type out a text on my mac and continue it on my phone. Or I can start on my phone, realize its going to be a long text, and pick it up on my mac where i have a keyboard. Its continuously synced and linked. It's so useful I cannot believe Google and Android havn't simply copied the technology...lawsuits be damned.

I like a lot about my android phone....but there are a few features on Apple devices that I can give up everything on my Android for. It's a huge advantage to write the software for one type of device you create like APple does. However, Pixel and Android are similar, but it doesnt seem to have any of this.

All my contacts are in Google and all my apps are downloaded through play store on my android device. So I can take my Sim card and put into a brand new device and hit copy old device button to clone my old device. And it only takes how ever long it takes to download the apps.

And Google actually stores all your deleted apps so you can recall them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.