New android phone--what would you buy?

34,179 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FatZilla
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeBoss said:

OnePlus 6 was just released. Pretty impressive specs without a lot of extras. Base model is $529 for the same hardware as the $1000 phones.
OnePlus 6 looks tasty. Anyone running any model of OnePlus & have feedback?
heddleston
AG
Most new models these days have water resistance built in. with an "Active" model phone youre basically paying extra for what a $5 case can do for you. That said, if you're wanting a refurbed S7 active, check and see if theres a warranty on it, but either way it seems like a decent deal.
heddleston
AG
Aaaand my Nexus5x has bootlooped. Going with a Pixel XL for now, meanwhile im rocking the Amazon Fire Phone while I wait for it to get here.
Ag12thman
AG
The Fife said:

Ag12thman said:

Are we already up to the Note 9 at this point? I still have the Note 5. It's starting to slow down and doesn't seem to be handling the updates as well as it used to, probably mainly due to age. It's been a very good phone, though - probably the best one I've ever had.
Later this year it comes out. Something like October.
I'm about ready for a new Android something. Will have to check this thing out!
Iowaggie
AG
AgsMyDude
AG
I've had the 5 since release date and really like it. The alert slider is a game changer for sure.
Eliminatus
AG
Bumping this for recommends for newer models and current prices. Got my last phone from here. Was very pleased with it but it is getting long in the tooth and failed me today (camera) at a time that it was crucial for it to NOT fail. Whats the latest and greatest but also budget wary for those who don't follow phone tech these days?

Have a MOTO G5 so that is my base comparison.

TIA
HowdyAgs03
AG
To this day I've been 100% loyal to HTC (I don't care for Samsung phones) going all the way back to the HTC Evo. I'll be getting the Pixel 4a ($399) when it comes out and switching to Google Fi.
bigtruckguy3500
I've got a Moto G5 Plus that just about 3 years old. Great phone, for $250. But it's starting to get slow and l****. Also Lenovo is pretty crappy about providing updates, especially with the problematic wifi.

Not sure if you have the Wifi issue as well, or if it only happens overseas (never noticed it when I was stateside), but it will disconnect from wifi every 30s - 3/4 minutes, then reconnect after a second or two.

Motorolla/Lenova has been promising a fix for nearly 2 years. Highly doubt one is coming.

I'm also looking at the Pixel 4a. $400 is a little more than I'm used to spending on phones, but if it lasts at least 3-4 years I'd say probably worth it.
Eliminatus
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

I've got a Moto G5 Plus that just about 3 years old. Great phone, for $250. But it's starting to get slow and l****. Also Lenovo is pretty crappy about providing updates, especially with the problematic wifi.

Not sure if you have the Wifi issue as well, or if it only happens overseas (never noticed it when I was stateside), but it will disconnect from wifi every 30s - 3/4 minutes, then reconnect after a second or two.

Motorolla/Lenova has been promising a fix for nearly 2 years. Highly doubt one is coming.

I'm also looking at the Pixel 4a. $400 is a little more than I'm used to spending on phones, but if it lasts at least 3-4 years I'd say probably worth it.
Yup, definitely have intermittent Wifi issues. Got the G5+. I think I definitely got my money's worth but in need of an upgrade pretty damn bad.

Like you, I am looking hard at the Pixel4a. I think I can limp my current phone along until first reviews come out on the 4a. If not, My backup plan is the G7 Power. ~$200. Pretty damn cheap and should be an upgrade to everything I have even though the emphasis is battery power. And what I have tech benchmarks is just fine with me. I am 100% out of the flagship rat race.
FatZilla
AG
Just bought the 128gb w/8gb ram oneplus 6t unlocked t-mobile version last month and its fantastic. Its on sale for 300 or so right now from different vendors. My moto g6 was bogging down and this new one smokes it.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13996493-oneplus-6t-a6013-128gb-gsm-verizon-unlocked-279-open-box-or-299-new-279-99

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.