New android phone--what would you buy?

34,573 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FatZilla
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I probably should.
Ag12thman
AG
FatZilla said:

Ag12thman said:

FatZilla said:

Ag12thman said:

I've always wanted to try rooting my Note 5 (especially since it's now older), but always got lost in the technicality of it. Just kind of chicken to try it out of fear of winding up bricking the phone. Seriously, how difficult is the process???
Very simple really. Most older phone have automated tools to do it now. The only thing you will want to do it pick out your rom and get it downloaded and possibly a new kernal if you want it.
Great! But, what is a ROM and a Kernal? LOL - I am not very versed in this sort of thing. I am pretty good with computers and cell phones and can do pretty much anything, though. Mine is the Note 5 with AT&T. I guess there are instructions on the site you mentioned?
If you really want to get into it, i would just start by googling rooting an android phone and learn the basics. It doesnt hurt. Some phones are not easily rootable or never will be rootable. Just have to look around and see.

Here is the note 5 site.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/note5

It takes time and it can break your phone still. So learn, ask questions and then try it after. the XDA site is a great resource if your new.

Interesting. Well, my Note 5 is getting pretty old now, so I wouldn't be losing much if I broke it. I'll check it out. Thanks for the information.

Still not sure if I should be listening to you or Aggie Druggist.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Go ahead and root it. I have a note 4 I may root. I will do after you!
Texas Red
AG
Another vote for the V20.
In this town there lived an outlaw by the name of Texas Red.
ktownag08
AG
Really enjoying my V30. Got it from T-Mobile and not too much bloatware. I have a Google Pixel as my work phone, and I like it more than that. Battery life, etc is just better. I just wish it was a bit smaller. Otherwise, great phone so far!
Ag12thman
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I really am thinking about it since it's getting pretty old and it wouldn't be much of a loss if I broke it in the process. But, I'd feel much better if you went ahead and tried it again and post how it turns out first.
Synopsis
AggieDruggist89 said:

I just bought an LG V20. I know...it's a phablet. But with 2TB expandable memory and replaceable battery, its a perfect replacement for now my 3 year old Note 4.

2 TB? That has to be tops among all phones. Incredible.
Synopsis
Ag12thman said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I really am thinking about it since it's getting pretty old and it wouldn't be much of a loss if I broke it in the process. But, I'd feel much better if you went ahead and tried it again and post how it turns out first.

LOL. You first!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Synopsis said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I just bought an LG V20. I know...it's a phablet. But with 2TB expandable memory and replaceable battery, its a perfect replacement for now my 3 year old Note 4.

I have 128 GB micro SD in my phone. The largest card I have seen is 400 GB. But man, that's a lot of files. I think I have last 5 years of pictures and videos in the card, 60 GB.

I also run all the apps out of SD that can be transferred to SD. Not sure it helps with anything but I do it because I can.
agracer
AG
DeBoss said:

So trying to find a new android. My blackberry is just too slow for simple apps and its frustrating Looking at priorities:

1. Waterproof
2. Shatterproof screen
3. Wireless charging
4. Good camera
5. Not $800

So I've considered Note8 (cost), Pixel 2 XL (no wireless, cost), Essential (no waterproof or wireless), Oneplus 5T (no waterproof or wireless), and Moto Z-Force (no water or wireless).

Any other suggestions or ideas? I know Samsung has everything I want, but i get so tired of all the Samsung apps that come preloaded on there. Really want a pure Android phone so it stays faster longer.
LG G6 goes on sale frequently at B&H. I saw it there for $450 a month ago.

And the OnePlus I purchased last month has been good so far. My only issue is that the messaging AP does not work correctly with group messages. Every reply to the message is like an individual text reply. Only I see the reply and not the group. The OS recently updated and the group replies all seem OK, except it does not tell me who is sending them. It's just a text bubble with no contact icon/info next to it.

I had Textra on my old LG and I'm using that now. But the 2-week trial ended so I just purchased it outright b/c NFW I'm looking at ads on my phone for a messaging app.

Everything else has been great. Really like the face unlock, camera is nice, phone is fast and battery lasts 36+ hours easily. But the built in messaging app not working is very annoying.

Anyone else have this issue with the 5T?
Synopsis
AggieDruggist89 said:

Synopsis said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I have 128 GB micro SD in my phone. The largest card I have seen is 400 GB. But man, that's a lot of files. I think I have last 5 years of pictures and videos in the card, 60 GB.

I also run all the apps out of SD that can be transferred to SD. Not sure it helps with anything but I do it because I can.
That's as good a reason as any.
Ag12thman
AG
So, is LG the closest thing to pure Android after Google phones such as the Pixel and Nexus???
Ag12thman
AG
How is Textra? Does it completely replace the stock texting app?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ag12thman said:

So, is LG the closest thing to pure Android after Google phones such as the Pixel and Nexus???

I don't know that. But i can tell you other than the LG keyboard I replaced with SwiftKey, there's nothing LG that pops up. In my app settings there are 2 LG apps. Definitely 1000% less than Samsung that you will get rid of once you root your Note 5.

My understanding is OnePlus is as closes to stock Android as you can get.
AggieDruggist89
AG
We WhatsApp to text.
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks for the info - - Yeah, my Note 5 is loaded down with bloatware and a lot of it Samsung apps that I never use. Still haven't decided about the rooting yet. I'd like to try it, but still a bit chicken.
Ag12thman
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

We WhatsApp to text.
Never heard of this app. Similar to Textra, I assume?
AggieDruggist89
AG
You can't be serious. It's only the best communication app out there. It allows you to send full file jpg and videos. Video calls... Wifi calls everything. With my t-mobile and whatsapp... I was able to video call friends and family traveling abroad. It's pretty much only messaging app we use except for lol Olds from work who still sends me SMS texts.
dubi
AG
Ag12thman said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

We WhatsApp to text.
Never heard of this app. Similar to Textra, I assume?
I'm an iphone user and know about "whatsapp".... :-)
AgsMyDude
AG
Ag12thman said:

I've used Textra for 3 years and absolutely love it. I've tried several others for SMS and nothing really compares to the features and ability to customize.
Ag12thman
AG
Dead serious. I've heard of Textra as I've heard others talk about it, but not WhatsApp. Guess I've been in the cave on that one. Sounds pretty handy. I will need to check it out versus Textra. I am pretty board with the Stock Samsung messaging app (which is what I've been using since I've had the phone). I do use SwiftKey and sometimes Swype as replacement keyboards.
agracer
AG
Ag12thman said:

yes, and more customizable than the stock LG app I had previously and as far as I can tell, more so than the OnePlus stock ap.

It works like you would expect, and has a bunch of icons/emoji/gif's you can insert into messages if that is your thing. For some odd reason, the emoji icon's look like blobs, but when you select them they are normal.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ag12thman said:

Dead serious. I've heard of Textra as I've heard others talk about it, but not WhatsApp. Guess I've been in the cave on that one. Sounds pretty handy. I will need to check it out versus Textra. I am pretty board with the Stock Samsung messaging app (which is what I've been using since I've had the phone). I do use SwiftKey and sometimes Swype as replacement keyboards.

You do know you can swype with most Android keyboards.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Better yet, I think you should be expelled from Android circle. Might as well get on IOS.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Chit... Even my 77 year old mom and 82 year old dad use WhatsApp, chrome cast to watch ESPN...
Ag12thman
AG
Geez - take it easy. I will check out WhatsApp later today.

I will never go back to iOS. I got so bored with it and really feel like it's designed for olds (no offense to any olds on this thread). I just feel like it's designed so that you pick it up and can easily figure out how to do things -- BUT, there is very limited customization. Within a few weeks iOS gets old, IMO.
Ag12thman
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Chit... Even my 77 year old mom and 82 year old dad use WhatsApp, chrome cast to watch ESPN...
dubi
AG
Ag12thman said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

My 83 year old momma uses Chromecast for Netflix! :-)
AgsMyDude
AG
Also look into swiftkey for your keyboard
Ag12thman
AG
I actually already use SwiftKey. I do have some Android-sense.
AggieDruggist89
AG
So one of my buddies who switched to V20 from iPhone, he bought 6 extra batteries... I know he's a bit extreme.

He can't put down the phone ... Like a kid from a 3rd world country with his first Christmas gift. Figuring out all different kinds of tricks and functions and etc..

That Mofo is trying to tell me how to use my own phone...
Ag12thman
AG
So...someone is trying to tell you you're lacking in Android-sense?????
AggieDruggist89
AG
Yeah he hasn't learned that V20's military grade alloy covered phablet can also smack the chit out of his skull!!!
Ag12thman
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
B&H Photo - Moto G5 phones - many on sale

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.