New android phone--what would you buy?

34,572 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FatZilla
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
evan_aggie said:

I'm actually the most neutral apple user you'll find. I don't own a mac laptop. I have an Ipad with a keyboard attachment that I use on vacation trips. I've never pre-ordered, or waited in line.

Can you use a mouse with iPad? A small bluetooth one..
Ag12thman
AG
bco2003 said:

I'm going to be able to purchase a V30 on Monday through my company for $340. Seems like a good deal.

Currently have a Nexus 6. Any reason I wouldn't want to do this?
Wow - outstanding price. No, no reason.
bco2003
AG
Ag12thman said:

bco2003 said:

I'm going to be able to purchase a V30 on Monday through my company for $340. Seems like a good deal.

Buy 2!

Unfortunately can only purchase one. Thanks for the feedback, plan on taking advantage of the offer.
12thAngryMan
AG
Anyone eyeing the OnePlus 5T that is supposed to be announced in the coming weeks? There are some recent leaks on it, and it sounds like it might be a perfect mix of form factor, screen size/lack of bezel, logical fingerprint sensor, pure(ish) Android, good camera, etc. all for a lower price than other flagships.
AggieDruggist89
AG
12thAngryMan said:

Anyone eyeing the OnePlus 5T that is supposed to be announced in the coming weeks? There are some recent leaks on it, and it sounds like it might be a perfect mix of form factor, screen size/lack of bezel, logical fingerprint sensor, pure(ish) Android, good camera, etc. all for a lower price than other flagships.

I wanted to get it for Mrs. birthday but it won't be released in time.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I'll be giving the OnePlus 5t strong consideration since I was really liking the 5 before they sold out of stock.

I want an Android phone with the specs of the Pixel 2 but the price of the OnePlus 5.
agracer
AG
ugg...I was going to pick up a LG G6 last week, never go around to it and the special mark down to $450 at B&H is gone! Called and he said it was a manu. rebate to sellers and NLA. It was the 997 US Version which works on all carriers.

Amazon has a t-mobile version unlocked for $450 or a (ATT/T-Mobile GSM carriers only) or the 997 version for $399 with "adds" from Amazon available Nov 9. Read online you can pay $50 to remove the adds but can't confirm that with Amazon.
AgsMyDude
AG
Oneplus 5, 8 GB ram, dual cameras, $539
AgsMyDude
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

I'll be giving the OnePlus 5t strong consideration since I was really liking the 5 before they sold out of stock.

I want an Android phone with the specs of the Pixel 2 but the price of the OnePlus 5.

I've got the OP5 and love it. Highly recommend the OP5T if specs are even better.
12thAngryMan
AG
How is the camera? From the reviews I've read, it seems like that was one of the biggest knocks. I've also read OnePlus isn't great with making Android updates available quickly/at all (maybe that's only for non-flagship phones?). Appreciate your input.
wee_ag
AG
I'm liking the Moto Z, the mods are great (though the on-phone camera glass durability on the first-gen model is pretty poor)
AgsMyDude
AG
12thAngryMan said:

How is the camera? From the reviews I've read, it seems like that was one of the biggest knocks. I've also read OnePlus isn't great with making Android updates available quickly/at all (maybe that's only for non-flagship phones?). Appreciate your input.
Really sorry for the delay but I put together an album of some of my favorite pictures taken with the OP5.

I think the camera is pretty solid. The portrait mode works pretty well but has gotten better with time and updates.

Someone was also able to successfully port the Google Camera HDR+ functionality over and that works really well. Info can be found here.
Ezra Brooks
AG
OnePlus 5t formally rolled out today.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

OnePlus 5t formally rolled out today.

Price to remain Same!!!
bco2003
AG
bco2003 said:

Ag12thman said:

bco2003 said:

Buy 2!

Unfortunately can only purchase one. Thanks for the feedback, plan on taking advantage of the offer.
I've been using the V30 for a week. Fantastic device, so much speedier than my several year old Nexus 6.

Wish it had a notification LED, but has been perfect other than that.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Doesn't V30 have 2nd screen that shows notifications?
bco2003
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Doesn't V30 have 2nd screen that shows notifications?

I think the V20 might have, the V30 doesn't have the separate screen.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Bummer. The 2nd screen is nice. The Led notification for me was disruptive to my life as it triggered my response... 24-7. With the 2nd screen and the mild glow of the notification, its not as intrusive.
agracer
AG
Looking to pick up a ONEPLUS 5T today, but I'm concerned about the size. I have an LG G3, played with an LG G6 which I liked the size of. The OnePlus 5T is ~1/2" taller than my current G3. The G6 is the same height, but actually a little slimmer than the G3

Anyone 'upsized' their phone and regret it? The G3 is about the size limit I'm after and on the phone comparison page the 5T seems A LOT bigger.(that's what she said)

Phone Size
Ezra Brooks
AG
agracer said:

Looking to pick up a ONEPLUS 5T today, but I'm concerned about the size. I have an LG G3, played with an LG G6 which I liked the size of. The OnePlus 5T is ~1/2" taller than my current G3. The G6 is the same height, but actually a little slimmer than the G3

Anyone 'upsized' their phone and regret it? The G3 is about the size limit I'm after and on the phone comparison page the 5T seems A LOT bigger.(that's what she said)

Phone Size
This is my concern as well.

I really want a phone that's the same size as my current HTC One M8 or the new Pixel 2.

The 5T is smaller than the iPhone Plus and Pixel XL though....I'm working my way up to being ok with this.
AgsMyDude
AG
agracer said:

Phone Size
I moved from my G3 to the OP5 (same size as the OP5T) this past summer. It took me a bit but now I am used to it and no regerts
agracer
AG
Went ahead a picked up a ONEPlus 5T today using son's university 10% discount.

Phone, Carbon Case, shipping was $479.29.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Nice!!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Hennessy11 said:

agracer said:

Phone Size
I moved from my G3 to the OP5 (same size as the OP5T) this past summer. It took me a bit but now I am used to it and no regerts

Milky-way?
Rule Number 32
AG
I have to buy a new phone for the wife. My wife literally cares about nothing except having a camera that is quick and good quality for snapping pictures of the kids.
I care about getting a good deal and a phone that will last a couple of years without spending $800. I've been looking at the v20 but lots of negative reviews specifically about the camera. I have a ZTE axon 7, which is awesome, but the camera sucks.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thought about the OnePlus 5t, but that's at the very top of what I want to spend. Thanks!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Here's a great review of last year's flagship Android cameras. I'm not sure where you're seeing poor reviews of v20 camera but it's really unique in that it has dual front and rear facing cameras with wide angle lenses including full manual control and verbal command where you can snap pictures by saying cheese, whiskey, smile, LG, and kimchi.

$260 brand new sealed box.

The Fife
Second hand 1st gen Pixel? There are probably some pretty great deals to be had with those. You get a great camera, keep the headphone jack and save a bunch of cash.
ktownag08
AG
Anyone got a Project Fi referral code they want to throw up? Setting up 2 separate accounts for the wife and I to get the $100 credit for Moto X4 on each. With the referral promo you'd get a free Chromecast out of it too.
AggieT
AG
Here you go:

Y0W559
ktownag08
AG
Appreciate it. Unfortunately I decided to go another direction due to a spectacular deal. After all the rebates, the wife and I will each have an LG V30 that's $200+tax. T-Mobile BOGO plus $400 LG rebate.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

If probably get a Moto G5. I bought a Moto G4 after my Nexus 5x bootlooped and I have not regretted it.

I have the G5 Plus, paid $250 for it a few months back. Decided to not buy a $800-1000 flagship phone. I have had zero issues with it in 4 months and I cannot tell the difference that it's not a premium phone. No case, no screen protector. If I last 2 years it'll have been a screaming deal. Prior phone was a Galaxy S4.

At this point I'll never buy a flagship phone again.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I buy flagship phone, year after when price plummets below 50%.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Frozen Concoction said:

If probably get a Moto G5. I bought a Moto G4 after my Nexus 5x bootlooped and I have not regretted it.

I have the G5 Plus, paid $250 for it a few months back. Decided to not buy a $800-1000 flagship phone. I have had zero issues with it in 4 months and I cannot tell the difference that it's not a premium phone. No case, no screen protector. If I last 2 years it'll have been a screaming deal. Prior phone was a Galaxy S4.

At this point I'll never buy a flagship phone again.
Looking like the road I may take.
agracer
AG
OnePlus showed up Tuesday night. Like it so far. It is much thinner than the old phone, about the same width and only a bit taller so it still goes in the pocket OK. It's very light.

A few frustrations to start out (could not get the phone to link to my old phone to transfer files, etc. and then could not it to show up on my PC when plugged into a USB port to copy old files).

Default texting app does not work with group messages. Instead of a group conversation between 4-contacts, it creates individual conversations between me and the 4 contacts. Tried OnePlus forums and the solutions did not work. Android 'blobs' emoji's (yeah, I know it's a ridiculous nit-pick, but they look effing stupid to me). I d/l a new keyboard and the emoji's did not change. Been using Textra App on the old phone so I D/L that again and all is good.

Clear all notifications is not the same as some old phone. When you swype down to see your notifications there is a 'button' at the very bottom of the screen - not the bottom of list of notifications, but physically at the bottom of the screen - to clear all notifications instead of the "clear all". It actually looks like an App on your home screen dock and it took my some google'ing to figure it out.

Really like the face unlock A LOT. I have a PIN as well but now I don't have to type the code to look at my phone which was always kind of a PITA to me. It actually confused me at first as I could not figure out why the phone kept opening to the home screen when I pushed the wake button even though I had a PIN set.

Camera seems very nice and I like that I can go full manual control and get RAW images.

For $480 (including the carbon case) it seems like a really great phone. Screen is sharp, tiny bezel, light weight, fast, headphone jack, thin. Really only thing missing is wireless charging and I had to order a few extra USB-C cables from Monoprice. Just have to get used to the OS interface as it has some idiosyncrasies that I'm not used to coming from an LG with Android 6.01 (last release from t-mobile).

If you're considering a flagship phone, I'd definitely give this one a spin. It's a good $100-$300 less than Samsung or Apple's latest offerings.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Ordered some Moto G5S Plus phones for the family along with cases for everyone.
Friday I get to put them all together. Time to retire my now-glitchy Galaxy S4 Actives.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.