Anti-voucher RINOs get their assess kicked.

22,473 Views | 448 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Burdizzo
Bob Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Bob Lee said:

10andBOUNCE said:

10andBOUNCE said:

Science Denier said:

nactownag said:

I'm not a fan of the voucher program and personally was proud of my representative for standing his ground against the majority of Texas voters.

FIFY
The majority of Texas voters have no idea what the proposed bill last fall had in it or how it worked.

The whole voucher issue has been disguised at "school choice" when we already have choices now.

I am pro-school choice, anti-voucher.
Also, people just want a handout.

People don't want to pay twice. The schools are over funded by the per student amount x amount of students attending private school, or homeschool. That money should be directed to those children's educations.

I haven't seen it advocated that anyone wants all of private tuition funded.

I just want the number attached to my child go to wherever my child attends school, public, private or otherwise.

I'm not advocating for that either. You misunderstood. You and I are talking about the same amount.
10andBOUNCE
AG
The Banned said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

I see unintended consequences with a voucher program. I hope I'm wrong.
I'm sure there will be some issues. The devil is in the details. One can almost guarantee there will be problems that need to be worked out.
Hope the system of vouchers can solve those problems as it places emphasis on education.
Without standardized testing (which I hate), I don't see how you can have any form of real oversight.
There is already standardized tests like the SAT that high schools can be compared with.

And there is every interest in the world for schools to prove to customers that they are good. So lower grade schools will administer standardized tests to their students to prove it.

Not to mention, it's pretty damned easy to look at your kids homework and tests, to see if the material is worth a damn.
Ok cool. Now do half of the population who doesn't care about their kids education.

That makes no sense.
I understand, as a college educated and, likely, highly involved parent, this is hard to grasp but there is a huge group of people who couldn't care less about the quality of their child's education. They just want them to be passed along and graduate. The STAAR test is the main obstacle in their way currently and you can be sure that if vouchers are passed, schools will open that remove that roadblock.
You do realize that elite private schools have standardized testing, right? They also have rigorous testing to be admitted.

My kids have never stepped foot in a public school, take standardized testing every April, and have since Kindergarten. Over half of their class is in the top 95% of test takers.
Here we go again.

Now do over half of the population who doesn't care about educating their kids.

These exact same kids are already failing to thrive. The public school is moving these kids along without giving two craps about their scores. And the worst part is that kids whose parents DO care but happen to be zoned with these kids have no feasible escape. In the voucher program, the parents who don't care will continue not to care and those kids will continue to fail. But the parents who DO care will be able to get their kids away from these bad schools and bad influences.
Parents that care can get their kids away from bad schools and influences today.

Those with means, yes. The single mom who has realized the error of her ways and wants better for her kids, not so much.
Are we helping the single mom move into a better neighborhood out of crime? Helping with home renovations? A more reliable car? How much are we going to help the single mom who is behind the eight ball? Might as well really help her out and not just stop at school.
The Banned
10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

I'm sure there will be some issues. The devil is in the details. One can almost guarantee there will be problems that need to be worked out.
Hope the system of vouchers can solve those problems as it places emphasis on education.
Without standardized testing (which I hate), I don't see how you can have any form of real oversight.
There is already standardized tests like the SAT that high schools can be compared with.

And there is every interest in the world for schools to prove to customers that they are good. So lower grade schools will administer standardized tests to their students to prove it.

Not to mention, it's pretty damned easy to look at your kids homework and tests, to see if the material is worth a damn.
Ok cool. Now do half of the population who doesn't care about their kids education.

That makes no sense.
I understand, as a college educated and, likely, highly involved parent, this is hard to grasp but there is a huge group of people who couldn't care less about the quality of their child's education. They just want them to be passed along and graduate. The STAAR test is the main obstacle in their way currently and you can be sure that if vouchers are passed, schools will open that remove that roadblock.
You do realize that elite private schools have standardized testing, right? They also have rigorous testing to be admitted.

My kids have never stepped foot in a public school, take standardized testing every April, and have since Kindergarten. Over half of their class is in the top 95% of test takers.
Here we go again.

These exact same kids are already failing to thrive. The public school is moving these kids along without giving two craps about their scores. And the worst part is that kids whose parents DO care but happen to be zoned with these kids have no feasible escape. In the voucher program, the parents who don't care will continue not to care and those kids will continue to fail. But the parents who DO care will be able to get their kids away from these bad schools and bad influences.
Parents that care can get their kids away from bad schools and influences today.

Those with means, yes. The single mom who has realized the error of her ways and wants better for her kids, not so much.
Are we helping the single mom move into a better neighborhood out of crime? Helping with home renovations? A more reliable car? How much are we going to help the single mom who is behind the eight ball? Might as well really help her out and not just stop at school.

False equivalency. So because we let someone move their child to a different school at no additional cost, we have to supply her new living conditions at considerable cost?
Howdy, it is me!
AG
Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

I thought the most recent version of the voucher legislation was overly generous toward public schools from a funding standpoint. I wonder if the Ds and anti-choice Rs will end up regretting not playing ball.

I thought the most recent voucher legislation was overly generous to program participants. 10k per child when most pay half or less that amount in taxes per household…phew.

People don't stop paying property taxes after their children graduate.

Correct. What's your point?
Bob Lee
AG
Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

I thought the most recent version of the voucher legislation was overly generous toward public schools from a funding standpoint. I wonder if the Ds and anti-choice Rs will end up regretting not playing ball.

I thought the most recent voucher legislation was overly generous to program participants. 10k per child when most pay half or less that amount in taxes per household…phew.

That it's not true that most households pay half or less than $10k/child in taxes.
10andBOUNCE
AG
The Banned said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

False equivalency. So because we let someone move their child to a different school at no additional cost, we have to supply her new living conditions at considerable cost?
I am all for letting a single mom let her kids go to any school of her choice. As I said before, clean up the garbage district and transfer rules first.
Howdy, it is me!
AG
Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

That it's not true that most households pay half or less than $10k/child in taxes.

You think most households pay $5k+ in property taxes?

A household with four children would receive $40k in vouchers. You think that household paid that much in property taxes? No. Even at one child equaling $10k, most households are not paying that much in propety taxes.
Bob Lee
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

I am all for letting a single mom let her kids go to any school of her choice. As I said before, clean up the garbage district and transfer rules first.

You want to make it contingent on something that's completely out of her control. Vouchers give her actual decision power.
10andBOUNCE
AG
How is single mom with crappy car that lives in a bad neighborhood getting her kids to the better school that is further away with no bus services?
Fenrir
Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

A household with four children would receive $40k in vouchers. You think that household paid that much in property taxes? No. Even at one child equaling $10k, most households are not paying that much in propety taxes.
What is the point of this argument? How many households do you think pay for the entirety of their kids' education costs in direct property taxes? That's going to be true whether those kids go to public school or a private school should vouchers be passed.
oldag941
AG
Someone once told me that your school system is a direct reflection of your community. I totally agree. If you have problems in your schools, I bet you have problems in your community. Vice versa.
geoag58
AG
ds00 said:

No way a private school that costs $12,000/year lets in all the kids with $12,000 coming from the state. They will raise rates considerably. The reason they exist in many cases is to keep those kids out.

Shows how little you know. People flocking to private schools are doing so to get their kids out of failing public schools. Wife was on board of private school. They are not turning kids away except for space issues. They do get rid of kids who come in and cause problems.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Bob Lee
AG
Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

How are schools being funded currently at well over $10k per child? I know what I pay, and it's way more than $10k. I've done the math and, if I decide to continue to live here until I die, the state will collect way more than I will ever get back in voucher money, and that's with 5 kids. The point is that $10k is less than the amount we would spend for that kid if they were attending a public school. Why do you only have an issue with it if it goes toward an education outside the public school system?
WT FOX
How many families pay for the entirety of their kids educational costs?

The correct answer should be, all of them.
DarkBrandon01
AG
Science Denier said:

Antoninus said:

aTmAg said:

This should be obvious to everybody.)
what is "obvious" is the you do not understand the meaning of the word "socialist."

not every policy that you dislike is "socialist." Not every bad policy is "socialist."

Taking from the rich and giving handouts to the "poor" is pretty much the definition of socialism.

No that's just capitalism with welfare.
WT FOX
DarkBrandon01 said:

Science Denier said:

Antoninus said:

aTmAg said:

This should be obvious to everybody.)
what is "obvious" is the you do not understand the meaning of the word "socialist."

not every policy that you dislike is "socialist." Not every bad policy is "socialist."

Taking from the rich and giving handouts to the "poor" is pretty much the definition of socialism.

No that's just capitalism with welfare.

Can we just eliminate the welfare part already?
IndividualFreedom
Quote:

Absolutely, there will be wrinkles to iron out, but the big take away is the power grab away from the enemy of our nation.
oldag941
AG
With real estate like it is where we live, and a lot of the suburban areas of Texas, tax rates have significantly been cut by school districts as real estate prices have skyrocketed. Net affect is your taxes still go up, but trying to offset the real estate market while maintaining some forecasted revenue, is a tough task.
Bob Lee
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

How is single mom with crappy car that lives in a bad neighborhood getting her kids to the better school that is further away with no bus services?

I don't know, but parents tend to get creative if their children will benefit from their efforts. My Dad drove me 45 minutes into town, and then back past our house 2 hrs. from my school, and then picked me up after work Every day until I got my driver's license so I could go to a great school.
oldag941
AG
There are a lot of reasons, but one is the connective tissue between a neighborhood and a school.

Where we live, every neighborhood is basically named after that elementary school and the greater community is referenced by the high school.

We have tons of boomerangs that graduated in the 80s or 90s and moved back after college and early career to send their kids to the generational public school.

The public schools are the nucleus of the community.

Fire stations are named after the schools. Local non-profits are. Churches are. The school playground is the neighborhood playground.

That's one reason.
sam callahan
Sounds like they have satisfied customers. So they should be fine.
oldag941
AG
They actually do have "an escape". Typically, GT, on-ramp, AP, dual-credit and other pathways. Those are filled with successful and motivated students and families. That keeps them in the schools (by their choice) and keeps them connected to their community.
Science Denier
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

aTmAg said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

It's way harder than it would be under a voucher system. For example:

Quote:

Generally, a child must attend the school district where they reside. The school district administrators can use transfer agreements to allow students to attend school districts other than the one in which they reside. A parent asking the district to make such an allowance must present good cause as to why their son or daughter needs to be in one school district versus the other. The student's best interests and academic performance are primary concerns. The issues over mask mandates and diversity training might not be sufficient to convince administrators to allow a district change. Larger districts with more options to move students around may be more amenable to these requests. A common request is to keep a child in the school in which they are currently enrolled despite a recent move that might be within the district or close by where it is determined an allowance is reasonable.
So screw the hell out of that.
So why not just fix some of that garbage that is already out there to create more freedom versus keeping the garbage and adding another government program?
It's not another government program. Nothing is different other than parents deciding what school to send their kids to.

Schools are still the same.
LOL OLD
Science Denier
AG
Quote:

I am still curious how many of the pro voucher posters on here live in rural areas.
Born and raised in a town population around 5,000. Now, that was back in the stone age where we used hammer and chisel to do our homework.

The only way a voucher program would hurt schools there is if they were so bad that someone would open a private school and take kids away. There is one small private schools there already, and it's pretty much set. Since the state doesn't give any money to the local ISD anyway, their budget already has priced in the local private school attendance. It won't grow with vouchers.
LOL OLD
Howdy, it is me!
AG
Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

How are schools being funded currently at well over $10k per child? I know what I pay, and it's way more than $10k. I've done the math and, if I decide to continue to live here until I die, the state will collect way more than I will ever get back in voucher money, and that's with 5 kids. The point is that $10k is less than the amount we would spend for that kid if they were attending a public school. Why do you only have an issue with it if it goes toward an education outside the public school system?

I'm sorry your property taxes are way over $10k, that sucks. Also sounds like you probably can afford private education without vouchers if that's what you're paying in propety taxes.

Why do I have an issue? Because it's public funds going to private institutions which will lead to government oversight and completely negate the purpose of a private institution (and this includes homeschooling).
Agthatbuilds
You assume the replacement school wouldn't assume that role in some capacity.

I'm from a smaller town where the high school felt like the center of the universe. Since then, the school has gone to **** and many families started sending their kids to the smaller community schools around the "bigger" town.

Little has changed. Whatever school those kids ended up going to were the center of their universe..

School are only pertinent in people's lives for a short period of time. And the school is a community. Not a building. Doesn't really matter where it is or what's on the sign.
oldag941
AG
Not sure what schools you go to? Privates here have application processes and they do deny based on test results, public school history, $$, etc. space obviously too. None seem to be building on today.
Agthatbuilds
Didn't scotus recently decide that not to be the case?
Science Denier
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

So now we make legislation for the minority? Wonder how that plays out if we take that approach everywhere else.
No. The legislation is for everyone. Not for just a small minority.

And it's not just about private schools. You can use vouchers to go to a different public school also.
LOL OLD
Science Denier
AG
Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

Huh? Under the last proposal, the state would give approx. 6k per student. That is $24k, not $40k.
LOL OLD
10andBOUNCE
AG
Bob Lee said:

10andBOUNCE said:

I don't know, but parents tend to get creative if their children will benefit from their efforts. My Dad drove me 45 minutes into town, and then back past our house 2 hrs. from my school, and then picked me up after work Every day until I got my driver's license so I could go to a great school.
Sounds like you have some great parents. Sounds like they made some tough decisions and sacrificed for your betterment, all without vouchers.
10andBOUNCE
AG
The legislation won't be for everyone because eventually the money will run out and the higher income folks will get nothing.
oldag941
AG
Ok. Never seen a community tied to a private school. And we had a closing open house at one of our junior highs last night. Building a replacement since the existing is 80 years old. Had over 500 visitors to see "there school" one more time. Probably half were grey haired and moved back or never left. The ties to the community run deep. Those school colors are everywhere. The school foundation signs are in yards all over. Maybe it's completely unique here, who knows.
MaxPower
My biggest beef with vouchers is that State law requires public schools to take students. That means when Billy's parents pay their $8k to a private school and then realize that school sucks or Billy gets kicked out for being an idiot then the local public school has to take that kid back. It's simply impossible for a local school to plan not knowing how many rejects they have to take after school starts.

I will be against school vouchers until the proposed bill requires parent accountability. That means if you take the cash and your kid can't cut it then your ass can find a way to home school your kid.
Phatbob
AG
MaxPower said:

My biggest beef with vouchers is that State law requires public schools to take students. That means when Billy's parents pay their $8k to a private school and then realize that school sucks or Billy gets kicked out for being an idiot then the local public school has to take that kid back. It's simply impossible for a local school to plan not knowing how many rejects they have to take after school starts.

I will be against school vouchers until the proposed bill requires parent accountability. That means if you take the cash and your kid can't cut it then your ass can find a way to home school your kid.
Public schools can keep kids out, too. I've known of kids that get kicked out. It is a real thing, they just have a higher threshold for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.