Anti-voucher RINOs get their assess kicked.

22,472 Views | 448 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Burdizzo
oldag941
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess regulation, accountability and protection of tax dollars makes it different than tvs or cellphones. Tax dollars are funding this. So having some understanding of success or failure of those tax dollars is typically expected.

Of course arguments about the "how" and tools to do so.
Antoninus
Booma94 said:

WT FOX said:

Or now hear me out, we could just end the public funded education system.
There's this pesky thing called the state Constitution that prevents that. Our forefathers had enough foresight to understand the value of a populous with basic levels of education, and developed a system to provide that.
You've forgotten the maxim (see above) that Texas' founders where illiterate buffoons and that we now should understand that an educated electorate is not of any societal value whatsoever..
Fenrir
dermdoc said:

How many pro vouchers on here live in rural areas? Just curious.

I see both sides of this issue but completely understand why rural areas are against it. I also think it will shift more money to problem areas.
I mean simple math would suggest there is a considerable amount. I doubt there is data yet for this year's primary, however in the 2022 GOP primary 88% of voters supported the school choice proposition and that percentage pretty much carried across all counties, from urban to rural.

nactownag
AG
I'm not a fan of the voucher program and personally was proud of my representative for standing his ground against Abbott.
WT FOX
Antoninus said:

Booma94 said:

WT FOX said:

There's this pesky thing called the state Constitution that prevents that. Our forefathers had enough foresight to understand the value of a populous with basic levels of education, and developed a system to provide that.
You've forgotten the maxim (see above) that Texas' founders where illiterate buffoons and that we now should understand that an educated electorate is not of any societal value whatsoever..

It is no longer of sufficient societal value to be worth the current cost. Just amend the constitution and eliminate it.
aTmAg
AG
oldag941 said:

Neither here nor there, I wonder the impact to families of that voucher isn't increased for 6 years? Assuming the cost of education increases each year, as basically everything does. 6 year buying power of $8k.

Leadership has done that to public education. I wonder if they'd do that to a voucher program?

Purely hypothetical of course.
Well, I think that if we privatized, then costs would go way down. Sorta like how SpaceX can launch a rocket for 1/10th the cost as NASA.

However, if we give everybody a $8K voucher that can only be used on education, then there is no incentive for schools to ever charge less than $8K. They won't strive to lower prices. That is one problem with vouchers over privatization.
aTmAg
AG
Booma94 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Phatbob said:

Booma94 said:

oldag941 said:

The same government you are looking to provide you a voucher is the one that burdened public education with the restrictions in disciplinary measures. Those decisions and rules were taken away from local control (including this legislative session…..see vaping discipline law).
Nailed it. The same people in government that created the mountain of regulations that public schools must follow and the standards they must meet to be labeled "successful" are the same ones pushing for vouchers that will allow them to take their children to private schools not burdened by their regulations.

You want to give public funds to private schools? Cool. Make those private schools play by all of the same rules.
Yes, lets make sure that no matter where the kid goes to school, all schools have the same things wrong with them and remove the ways to fix them
Or, now hear me out, we could fix the public school system by rolling back some of the idiocy.

It was not foresight to have government provide that education. It was dumbassery.

If they understood economics better, they would understand that the private sector is the best way to provide education to it's citizens.
GeeBee
AG
Booma94 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

That's not how this works broseph.

I can choose the type of truck or vehicle. I can choose the amount of which I drive it. The vehicle cannot pass bonds or taxes when it wants to upgrade its stereo system.

I can fire the truck and replace it at will.

Get out of here with that bull****
I'm pretty sure passing bonds is done in an election where the voters who are affected get to say yes or no. But maybe I don't understand how the process works.

Wrong if you are over 65. They get to vote for the increase in taxes, theirs are frozen at whatever year they turned 65. I don't think that is a bad thing to freeze the taxes, IMO we should abolish property taxes, but I also think you shouldn't be able to vote for that **** when you literally have no skin in the game.

I say this because I have seen my own school district actively campaign on this BS. The PO of my home was over 65 and I'd get pro bond mailers addressed to her essentially saying, "vote yes because your taxes are frozen".

Same with renters, the "experts" will say they are affected by tax increases because the landlord will raise rent due to taxes, maybe on SF rental, but that's BS on any kind of large project due them probably to be able to negotiate tax exemptions in order to be enticed to build the apartments in the first place. If there is any increase there is no case and effect relatable by the renter. It could take years or the rent goes up every year anyway due to market.

Something you purchase shouldn't include a "rent increase" year after year until you reach 65.
Science Denier
AG
nactownag said:

I'm not a fan of the voucher program and personally was proud of my representative for standing his ground against the majority of Texas voters.

FIFY
LOL OLD
nactownag
AG
Ok. I am anti government so therefore I oppose new government programs. That's what this is.
aTmAg
AG
oldag941 said:

I guess regulation, accountability and protection of tax dollars makes it different than tvs or cellphones. Tax dollars are funding this. So having some understanding of success or failure of those tax dollars is typically expected.

Of course arguments about the "how" and tools to do so.
All that will happen is that we will have a school system where government bureaucrats set every last thing that is taught. Every politician will work to make sure their pet peeve topic is taught. It will stifle quality.
aTmAg
AG
nactownag said:

I'm not a fan of the voucher program and personally was proud of my representative for standing his ground against Abbott.
I'm proud that my rep got his ass handed to him after standing his ground against Abbott. I may call his office (again), and rub it in.
aTmAg
AG
nactownag said:

Ok. I am anti government so therefore I oppose new government programs. That's what this is.
That's like saying eliminating social security is a "new government program".
10andBOUNCE
AG
Science Denier said:

nactownag said:

I'm not a fan of the voucher program and personally was proud of my representative for standing his ground against the majority of Texas voters.

FIFY
The majority of Texas voters have no idea what the proposed bill last fall had in it or how it worked.

The whole voucher issue has been disguised at "school choice" when we already have choices now.

I am pro-school choice, anti-voucher.
10andBOUNCE
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Science Denier said:

nactownag said:

FIFY
The majority of Texas voters have no idea what the proposed bill last fall had in it or how it worked.

The whole voucher issue has been disguised at "school choice" when we already have choices now.

Also, people just want a handout.
dermdoc
AG
Fenrir said:

dermdoc said:

How many pro vouchers on here live in rural areas? Just curious.

I see both sides of this issue but completely understand why rural areas are against it. I also think it will shift more money to problem areas.
I mean simple math would suggest there is a considerable amount. I doubt there is data yet for this year's primary, however in the 2022 GOP primary 88% of voters supported the school choice proposition and that percentage pretty much carried across all counties, from urban to rural.

Thank you. I am surprised by that,

I am still curious how many of the pro voucher posters on here live in rural areas.

I grew up in Beaumont, went to A&M, lived inside and right outside the loop in Houston for 13 years, back to Beaumont, and now live in the sticks between CS and Snook.

The difference between public schools in Beaumont and Houston vs rural areas is eye opening. It is like two different countries.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Science Denier
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Science Denier said:

nactownag said:

FIFY

Polls show clearly the majority of Texans support vouchers. Doesn't matter what you think they may or may not know.
LOL OLD
WT FOX
I live in Midland, so not exactly urban and we are being raped by Robin Hood and local public schools are trash.

Scrap it all.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I don't disagree with you that the majority likely wants it. And I fully support people's right to vote out their reps to get their desired outcome. That is how it should work.

My point is that thing whole thing has been pimped by Abbott endlessly and disguised as something it is not. But I guess, welcome to politics.
Bob Lee
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

10andBOUNCE said:

Science Denier said:

nactownag said:

FIFY

People don't want to pay twice. The schools are over funded by the per student amount x amount of students attending private school, or homeschool. That money should be directed to those children's educations.
The Banned
cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

I see unintended consequences with a voucher program. I hope I'm wrong.
I'm sure there will be some issues. The devil is in the details. One can almost guarantee there will be problems that need to be worked out.
Hope the system of vouchers can solve those problems as it places emphasis on education.
Without standardized testing (which I hate), I don't see how you can have any form of real oversight.
There is already standardized tests like the SAT that high schools can be compared with.

And there is every interest in the world for schools to prove to customers that they are good. So lower grade schools will administer standardized tests to their students to prove it.

Not to mention, it's pretty damned easy to look at your kids homework and tests, to see if the material is worth a damn.
Ok cool. Now do half of the population who doesn't care about their kids education.

That makes no sense.
I understand, as a college educated and, likely, highly involved parent, this is hard to grasp but there is a huge group of people who couldn't care less about the quality of their child's education. They just want them to be passed along and graduate. The STAAR test is the main obstacle in their way currently and you can be sure that if vouchers are passed, schools will open that remove that roadblock.
You do realize that elite private schools have standardized testing, right? They also have rigorous testing to be admitted.

My kids have never stepped foot in a public school, take standardized testing every April, and have since Kindergarten. Over half of their class is in the top 95% of test takers.
Here we go again.

Now do over half of the population who doesn't care about educating their kids.

These exact same kids are already failing to thrive. The public school is moving these kids along without giving two craps about their scores. And the worst part is that kids whose parents DO care but happen to be zoned with these kids have no feasible escape. In the voucher program, the parents who don't care will continue not to care and those kids will continue to fail. But the parents who DO care will be able to get their kids away from these bad schools and bad influences.
WT FOX
The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

I'm sure there will be some issues. The devil is in the details. One can almost guarantee there will be problems that need to be worked out.
Hope the system of vouchers can solve those problems as it places emphasis on education.
Without standardized testing (which I hate), I don't see how you can have any form of real oversight.
There is already standardized tests like the SAT that high schools can be compared with.

And there is every interest in the world for schools to prove to customers that they are good. So lower grade schools will administer standardized tests to their students to prove it.

Not to mention, it's pretty damned easy to look at your kids homework and tests, to see if the material is worth a damn.
Ok cool. Now do half of the population who doesn't care about their kids education.

That makes no sense.
I understand, as a college educated and, likely, highly involved parent, this is hard to grasp but there is a huge group of people who couldn't care less about the quality of their child's education. They just want them to be passed along and graduate. The STAAR test is the main obstacle in their way currently and you can be sure that if vouchers are passed, schools will open that remove that roadblock.
You do realize that elite private schools have standardized testing, right? They also have rigorous testing to be admitted.

My kids have never stepped foot in a public school, take standardized testing every April, and have since Kindergarten. Over half of their class is in the top 95% of test takers.
Here we go again.

These exact same kids are already failing to thrive. The public school is moving these kids along without giving two craps about their scores. And the worst part is that kids whose parents DO care but happen to be zoned with these kids have no feasible escape. In the voucher program, the parents who don't care will continue not to care and those kids will continue to fail. But the parents who DO care will be able to get their kids away from these bad schools and bad influences.

He is unwilling to accept that there is a large segment that are essentially throw aways. It not pretty, but it is the reality.
Burdizzo
AG
Assessment is frozen. Tax rates are not. Not the same thing.
10andBOUNCE
AG
The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

Parents that care can get their kids away from bad schools and influences today.
Bob Lee
AG
I thought the most recent version of the voucher legislation was overly generous toward public schools from a funding standpoint. I wonder if the Ds and anti-choice Rs will end up regretting not playing ball.
Agthatbuilds
Phatbob said:

Booma94 said:

oldag941 said:

The same government you are looking to provide you a voucher is the one that burdened public education with the restrictions in disciplinary measures. Those decisions and rules were taken away from local control (including this legislative session…..see vaping discipline law).
Nailed it. The same people in government that created the mountain of regulations that public schools must follow and the standards they must meet to be labeled "successful" are the same ones pushing for vouchers that will allow them to take their children to private schools not burdened by their regulations.

You want to give public funds to private schools? Cool. Make those private schools play by all of the same rules.
Yes, lets make sure that no matter where the kid goes to school, all schools have the same things wrong with them and remove the ways to fix them

Boomas argument advances the school over the student as far as I can tell
aTmAg
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

Parents that care can get their kids away from bad schools and influences today.
It's way harder than it would be under a voucher system. For example:

Quote:

Generally, a child must attend the school district where they reside. The school district administrators can use transfer agreements to allow students to attend school districts other than the one in which they reside. A parent asking the district to make such an allowance must present good cause as to why their son or daughter needs to be in one school district versus the other. The student's best interests and academic performance are primary concerns. The issues over mask mandates and diversity training might not be sufficient to convince administrators to allow a district change. Larger districts with more options to move students around may be more amenable to these requests. A common request is to keep a child in the school in which they are currently enrolled despite a recent move that might be within the district or close by where it is determined an allowance is reasonable.
So screw the hell out of that.
Howdy, it is me!
AG
Bob Lee said:

I thought the most recent version of the voucher legislation was overly generous toward public schools from a funding standpoint. I wonder if the Ds and anti-choice Rs will end up regretting not playing ball.

I thought the most recent voucher legislation was overly generous to program participants. 10k per child when most pay half or less that amount in taxes per household…phew.
The Banned
10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

Those with means, yes. The single mom who has realized the error of her ways and wants better for her kids, not so much.
10andBOUNCE
AG
aTmAg said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

It's way harder than it would be under a voucher system. For example:

Quote:

Generally, a child must attend the school district where they reside. The school district administrators can use transfer agreements to allow students to attend school districts other than the one in which they reside. A parent asking the district to make such an allowance must present good cause as to why their son or daughter needs to be in one school district versus the other. The student's best interests and academic performance are primary concerns. The issues over mask mandates and diversity training might not be sufficient to convince administrators to allow a district change. Larger districts with more options to move students around may be more amenable to these requests. A common request is to keep a child in the school in which they are currently enrolled despite a recent move that might be within the district or close by where it is determined an allowance is reasonable.
So screw the hell out of that.
So why not just fix some of that garbage that is already out there to create more freedom versus keeping the garbage and adding another government program?
10andBOUNCE
AG
The Banned said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

Those with means, yes. The single mom who has realized the error of her ways and wants better for her kids, not so much.
So now we make legislation for the minority? Wonder how that plays out if we take that approach everywhere else.
Agthatbuilds
Bob Lee said:

10andBOUNCE said:

10andBOUNCE said:

Science Denier said:

nactownag said:

FIFY

People don't want to pay twice. The schools are over funded by the per student amount x amount of students attending private school, or homeschool. That money should be directed to those children's educations.

I haven't seen it advocated that anyone wants all of private tuition funded.

I just want the number attached to my child go to wherever my child attends school, public, private or otherwise.
Agthatbuilds
Also- if the voucher system were to lead to the end of a random isd does it really matter?

Why are we so attached to govt schools? The teachers, coaches, administrators would clearly have a place to land.
Bob Lee
AG
Howdy, it is me! said:

Bob Lee said:

I thought the most recent voucher legislation was overly generous to program participants. 10k per child when most pay half or less that amount in taxes per household…phew.

People don't stop paying property taxes after their children graduate.
The Banned
10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

10andBOUNCE said:

The Banned said:

cevans_40 said:

WT FOX said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

aTmAg said:

cevans_40 said:

richardag said:

TheCurl84 said:

That makes no sense.

Here we go again.

So now we make legislation for the minority? Wonder how that plays out if we take that approach everywhere else.

Can you explain how this hurts the majority? If you like your district, you stay in it. If you don't, you leave. The biggest potential loser here is private schools that choose to take vouchers and then have to bend to state testing, but they dont have to accept vouchers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.