"There Is No Climate Crisis"

75,614 Views | 905 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by nortex97
American Hardwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Climate Change is a religion, but for most adherents it's the kind they only one they wind-up on Sundays. It's party-on for the rest of the week like a lazy Christian.
atmtws
AG
DDub74 said:

That's for you, Al Gore, all the Hollywood liberals and everyone else.
Speaking of, I wonder if Oprah already has her team dispatched to start buying land:

TROPICAL STORM HILARY (noaa.gov)

schmellba99
AG
wxmanX said:

yea, whatever.

World is 1.6C above the mean, NATL highest temps ever, Gulf highest temps ever. Record warm TX, highest lows ever in Baton Rouge, Tampa, Miami, PHX this year.
Morrocco 122F, highest ever.
Greece, 119F highest ever.
Spain 118F tied highest ever.

You know what is kinda weird about records?

Before this year, whatever numbers prior were the hottest "ever". And the numbers before that the highest or hottest "ever", so on and so on and so on.

You also failed to mention that Antartica is at its coldest "ever".

We have been recording temperature for about 150 or so years, give or take. The world is 4 billion years old. "Ever" is not a word you should use in this capactiy. You should also maybe do some historical research on various geologic periods, even subsets within some of those periods (like the Roman warm period). Maybe you'll come out of the learning with the udnerstanding that.....wait for it.....wait for it....wait for it.......climate is an ever changing medium on this planet, it always has been. And man has zilch to do with it.

That big ole ball of fusing hydrogen in the sky has a lot to do with it though, and we are in a solar maximum period. We are also on the ass end of a geologic ice age. And spot temps here and there don't mean a whole lot. Historical data shows that this is a warmer period, but not even the warmest in geologic recent history.
StrickAggie06
AG
YouBet said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

I get the knee jerk push back against anything liberals support but I do think conservatives have let themselves be painted into a corner as not caring about the planet. See some responses here.

It is okay to admit that as the human population has grown exponentially in the last hundred years, that:

-there has been massive deforestation
-many species have been driven to extinction (either through hunting or deforestation)
-there does seem to be an increase in natural disasters (major hurricanes, forest fires, etc) over the last 20 years
-smog is awful in many cities around the globe (Mexico City and Beijing come to mind)
-more rivers are going dry and creating water issues in different areas

Now some of these are clearly manmade and some may not be.

Republicans shouldn't have a platform of ignoring it. That doesn't win over voters. They should present a common sense plan to address it:

-Push for nuclear energy and natural gas
-push to preserve national parks and efforts to plant new trees
-support for some renewable technologies as it clearly will have a place in the economy in the next 50 years without sacrificing the oil and gas industry
-work with energy companies on new technologies like carbon capture

It doesn't have to be the Green New Deal or nothing. We do live on this planet. There are 8 billion of us and left unchecked we clearly could do some damage.
Agree with you. The problem is that there is no middle ground that is allowed to be discussed on this topic.

The original movement has been hijacked by Marxists (like every other damn thing) and so it's GND (ie Marxism) or bust for them. They've admitted this at this point. It's wealth redistribution.

And I think most Republicans are for those bullet points but you would never know about it because it's never enough with the left. The Republicans could put out a plan like this and it would immediately be lambasted as not enough.

Remember that we are at 11:59:54 on the DoomsDay clock with the moronic left. The only options left for consideration are extreme measures.

Yeah the geopolitical, economic, and future technology aspects of this are a completely different subject that really also needs to be detailed.

Not sure if I'm up for another novel tonight though.
schmellba99
AG
wxmanX said:

i'm not even a liberal.
Voted republican since I was born.

Just know the science is correct. Later.
Apparently 1,609 people smarter than you disagree that the "science is correct". So you have that going for you.
eric76
AG
If there is a climate crisis, it is one created by those who claim there is a climate crisis and is not about climate.
schmellba99
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

I get the knee jerk push back against anything liberals support but I do think conservatives have let themselves be painted into a corner as not caring about the planet. See some responses here.

It is okay to admit that as the human population has grown exponentially in the last hundred years, that:

-there has been massive deforestation
-many species have been driven to extinction (either through hunting or deforestation)
-there does seem to be an increase in natural disasters (major hurricanes, forest fires, etc) over the last 20 years
-smog is awful in many cities around the globe (Mexico City and Beijing come to mind)
-more rivers are going dry and creating water issues in different areas

Now some of these are clearly manmade and some may not be.

Republicans shouldn't have a platform of ignoring it. That doesn't win over voters. They should present a common sense plan to address it:

-Push for nuclear energy and natural gas
-push to preserve national parks and efforts to plant new trees
-support for some renewable technologies as it clearly will have a place in the economy in the next 50 years without sacrificing the oil and gas industry
-work with energy companies on new technologies like carbon capture

It doesn't have to be the Green New Deal or nothing. We do live on this planet. There are 8 billion of us and left unchecked we clearly could do some damage.
You have let media train you to think that way, because it is patently false in pretty much every application you can name when it comes to anything approaching conservation.

The idea that conservatives want dirty air and dirty water and dead treees and all that is pure nonsense, and frankly it takes a pretty low bar of intelligence to be so gullible as to believe that crap.

R's don't have a platform of ignoring it, they just don't have a platform of "tax everybody into the poor house under the guise of environtmental saviors". Which, apparently to you, means that they don't care about the planet.
DarkBrandon01
AG
and 100,000 other scientists believe in man made climate change. this means nothing. when you burn fossil fuels that energy has to go somewhere, it just doesn't disappear. it is the ONLY explanation. there are no other natural factors that account for the rapid increase of greenhouse gases.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

when you burn fossil fuels that energy has to go somewhere
Yeah, it eventually radiates out into space along with all of the solar input energy reaching the Earth every second. Or did you think the Earth was some kind of an energy black hole that never sheds any heat?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oh no
AG
DarkBrandon01 said:

and 100,000 other scientists believe in man made climate change. this means nothing. when you burn fossil fuels that energy has to go somewhere, it just doesn't disappear. it is the ONLY explanation. there are no other natural factors that account for the rapid increase of greenhouse gases.
and what will a trillion dollar green new deal for the US federal government do about it? will a bigger and bigger US government regulating what machines and equipment US citizens and companies can use or how they use them or forcing them to use chinese solar panels or lithium ion batteries while china is burning through fossil fuels like it's nobody's business make a remotely measurable impact? alarmists have been screaming the end is near for several decades now. is a green new deal for the government finally going to save us all because the government is so good at implementing and managing programs?
fasthorse05
Damn, guys.

There aren't many more folks with climate skins on the wall than Judith Curry. She's not necessarily for or against the fear-mongering climate politicians, but she did come around to knowing the anthropogenic warming wasn't an issue. I'm not sure why she left Georgia Tech, but even most of the manic-depressive "climatologists" recognize her acumen, candor and honesty.

https://judithcurry.com/

There's a crap ton to read here, but Curry has been around for a lot of years, but apparently wasn't sharp enough to know how to make over $1 billion scaring the crap outta people like Al Gore did.

I tell ya what, anyone who has kids or are fearful for their grandkids due to climate issues will quickly be overcome by the tyranny of the Dems and won't have a hell of a lot to say about it since freedom and liberty will have hit the road. I'd bet my life on the sentence above because it's a thousand times more likely to occur since the republic, for the time being, isn't functioning the way it has for 247 years.

In fact, there's a much better chance of your kids and grandkids being ushered to a "camp" in the future for displaying individual thought.

Call me in 1000 years and we'll talk. Y'all dunderheads act like we'll be toast in 2030, which we may be, but not from the climate crisis. As soon as China and India get on board, which is funny because there are no certain measures to rectify this, then I'll listen. Not one single American should lose their job to the "climate crisis". Y'all go ahead and ship all of your money, over and above your taxes, to DC with the intent to save your ass. They don't give a crap about you now, they're just trying to make money (millions) because of your ginned up hatred for Republicans.
Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
StrickAggie06
AG
DarkBrandon01 said:

Scientists of what? The majority of articles I read that claim that "the vast majority of scientists" believe in significant man made climate change are climate scientists. As mentioned in my first post, climate scientists aren't actual scientists, plus OF COURSE climate scientists are going to believe their own studies.

Occasionally, some theoretical physicists throw their names into the mix. Unfortunately, their insights are often misguided, as they don't deal with large quantitative data sets, and don't consider the statistical flaws present in climate data. I've found they are particularly susceptible to having "tunnel vision" and just blindly believing studies put out by academics in other fields. But how many non-physics STEM researchers with backgrounds in big data and advanced statistics do you see speak out regularly? I rarely see engineers, biologists, or chemists loudly banging the climate change drum.

And did you not read my post at all, or just not understand it? Increases in greenhouse gasses don't automatically cause an equally corresponding temperature increase, and how we've measured them has changed over time. Again, correlation doesn't equal causation. If greenhouse gasses go up 30%, how much does the temp increase? You can point to the correlation all you want, but without an actual controlled study (which I'm not convinced is possible even with a a very complex artificial microclimate), you simply can't prove that one causes the other. And that "rapid" increase in greenhouse gasses uses ice core data as its early data points. As previously mentioned, ice cores are extremely unreliable for producing accurate data. There's also inconsistencies with the sites for data collection. You're taking early data from ice cores located at the poles vs newer data points located closer to civilization where CO2 emissions will be higher. This creates a significant positive bias in the trend.

Also, calling CO2 a greenhouse gas is disingenuous at best. CO2 encourages plant growth, which in turn reduces atmospheric CO2 levels. The Earth is essentially a living breathing organism, and like all organisms it strives for balance (homeostasis). CO2 levels also naturally increase as the Earth warms, so how much of that rise is due to the cyclic warming period we are? How does it correlate to the number of volcanic eruptions each year, which dump FAR more CO2 in the atmosphere than all of humanity does in an entire year?

Finally, you are still looking at a very very limited data set in historical terms. You simply can't claim unequivocally that greenhouse gas levels are at an all time high due to mankind and the sole driving factor of temp increases, without being able to accurately and comprehensively compare them to prehistoric times. Doing so violates the core mission of science.

Finally, any scientist that claims their findings are absolute facts is a fraud. Every climate report I've read does this. Actual scientists know there is ALWAYS uncertainty in the results, even with a 99%+ confidence interval. Valid publications use words like "could, might, plausible, etc" to describe their results, not definitive terms.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying that man made climate change is 100% not real. My point is that we don't have the data to say one way or another. It's logical that humanity has had SOME effect on the climate. But how much? It could be a lot or it could be negligible. Should we really declare an emergency and bankrupt the country for a complete unknown, when it wouldn't make a significant difference anyway? There are positive, effective ways to move us away from fossil fuels, but the government refuses to pursue them.
DDub74

I can think of several dozen of them off top of my head and I am not a scientist although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Sun patterns, volcanic activity, cloud cover, geothermal warming in oceans, and another recent one is development, like turning grasslands and forest and farming lands where the surface temp is normal, to concrete or housing developments where every house has St. Augustine grass which hits 125-35 degrees or concrete/asphalt at 150.

So are we supposed to stop all development?

I am very pro environment and support ocean cleaning, smart development, etc., hybrid technology, but leaving Climate Change policy to governments & Politicians is 100% about money and control. Why straight to 100% EV when hybrid technology makes much more sense or many other options. Because they then can control how/when you drive.

If no fossil fuels, you have to mine every corner of earth to sustain the minerals needed for EV and batteries. And then the world is still way short of the needs.
rab79
AG

AggieMD95
AG
Old May Banker said:

wxmanX said:

yea, whatever.

World is 1.6C above the mean, NATL highest temps ever, Gulf highest temps ever. Record warm TX, highest lows ever in Baton Rouge, Tampa, Miami, PHX this year.
Spain 118F tied highest ever

lol

What's the correct temperature and where's the thermostat? Government taxes fix it? Move to a mud hut somewhere and exist off of berries and twigs if you think it matters.

lmao

I've got a low carbon footprint teepee in my garage you guys can borrow if you're scared
wxmanX
This is almost comical.

Wow, you are so smart.

Impressed.
e=mc2
AG
FTA 2001 said:

Can anyone provide a strong enough argument that would convince me that these 1,600 scientists know better than the groups and organizations below, who represent many many more than 1,600 scientists?

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Quote:

American Association for the Advancement of Science

"Based on well-established evidence, about 97% of climate scientists have concluded that human-caused climate change is happening." (2014)

http://whatweknow.aaas.org/get-the-facts/
Quote:

American Chemical Society

"The Earth's climate is changing in response to increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases (GHGs) and particulate matter in the atmosphere, largely as the result of human activities." (2016-2019)

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/policy/publicpolicies/sustainability/globalclimatechange.html
Quote:

American Geophysical Union

"Based on extensive scientific evidence, it is extremely likely that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse gases, are the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century. There is no alterative explanation supported by convincing evidence." (2019)

https://www.agu.org/Share-and-Advocate/Share/Policymakers/Position-Statements/Position_Climate
Quote:

American Medical Association

"Our AMA ... supports the findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's fourth assessment report and concurs with the scientific consensus that the Earth is undergoing adverse global climate change and that anthropogenic contributions are significant." (2019)

https://policysearch.ama-assn.org/policyfinder/detail/climate%20change?uri=%2FAMADoc%2FHOD.xml-0-309.xml
Quote:

American Meteorological Society

"Research has found a human influence on the climate of the past several decades ... The IPCC (2013), USGCRP (2017), and USGCRP (2018) indicate that it is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-twentieth century." (2019)

https://www.ametsoc.org/index.cfm/ams/about-ams/ams-statements/statements-of-the-ams-in-force/climate-change1/

Quote:

American Physical Society

"Earth's changing climate is a critical issue and poses the risk of significant environmental, social and economic disruptions around the globe. While natural sources of climate variability are significant, multiple lines of evidence indicate that human influences have had an increasingly dominant effect on global climate warming observed since the mid-twentieth century." (2015)

https://www.aps.org/newsroom/pressreleases/climate.cfm
Quote:

The Geological Society of America

"The Geological Society of America (GSA) concurs with assessments by the National Academies of Science (2005), the National Research Council (2011), the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, 2013) and the U.S. Global Change Research Program (Melillo et al., 2014) that global climate has warmed in response to increasing concentrations of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gases ... Human activities (mainly greenhouse-gas emissions) are the dominant cause of the rapid warming since the middle 1900s (IPCC, 2013)." (2015)

https://www.geosociety.org/gsa/positions/position10.aspx

Quote:

U.S. National Academy of Sciences

"Scientists have known for some time, from multiple lines of evidence, that humans are changing Earth's climate, primarily through greenhouse gas emissions."

https://sites.nationalacademies.org/cs/groups/internationalsite/documents/webpage/international_080877.pdf

Quote:

U.S. Global Change Research Program

"Earth's climate is now changing faster than at any point in the history of modern civilization, primarily as a result of human activities." (2018, 13 U.S. government departments and agencies)

https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/
Quote:

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

"It is unequivocal that the increase of CO2, methane, and nitrous oxide in the atmosphere over the industrial era is the result of human activities and that human influence is the principal driver of many changes observed across the atmosphere, ocean, cryosphere, and biosphere.

"Since systematic scientific assessments began in the 1970s, the influence of human activity on the warming of the climate system has evolved from theory to established fact."

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg3/

They are paid off lying globalists used to trick suckers and fools. Otherwise known as liberals. To think man can control climate is the dumbest **** I've ever heard of. The vanity of it all is laughable. Wish I had thought of it. I could be as rich as Kerry and Gore.
wxmanX
Science is settled, you fail.

wxmanX
It may break DFW all-time high on Friday, same with Austin and College Station.

Good luck with the power grid.
Rockdoc
AG
We'll. Live. It's summertime.
captkirk
AG
DarkBrandon01 said:

Sounds like a religion
one safe place
wxmanX said:

It gets hot in the summer. Some days, in some places, you set records, but in some places you don't. On other days, you don't set records anywhere. Now, if every day resulted in an all-time high, day after day after day, everywhere, that would be something.
Rockdoc
AG
It was 109 here at my house in CS about 3 days ago. Just another summer day and we survived.
one safe place
Rockdoc said:

It was 109 here at my house in CS about 3 days ago. Just another summer day and we survived.
Same kind of deal. It was 104 the other day with a feels like of 119 around 3pm-4pm. I was spraying weeds with a backpack sprayer. Nobody died. Just summertime, but I am ready for it to be over.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
wxmanX said:

Illegals need electricity too.
beerad12man
AG
wxmanX said:

yea, whatever.

One year of data? Now do last year compared to 20 years ago? 30? 50? 10?
Old McDonald
geoag58 said:

Old McDonald said:

geoag58 said:

Old McDonald said:

Cromagnum said:

As with everything, follow the money. The same people who made a mint lieing about covid are the same people lieing about a climate crisis.
and a majority of the time, following the money on the climate change denial side of the debate brings you to the oil and gas industry. what are we to do? it's agendas and ulterior motives and shadow money all the way down!

Oxy sure got some climate BS money. What you say does not jibe with the advertisements from big oil advertising how environmentally resposible they are and kneeling to kiss the evil ring.
that's all corporate greenwashing advertising to appease the public and activist investors. overwhelming majority of O&G capital investment still goes to hydrocarbons.

When did looking for oil and gas by an oil and gas company become ulterior motives and shadow money?

You need to sit down and examine your ulterior motives.
if someone on the Marlboro bankroll put out a declaration signed by "scientists" saying cigarettes are actually not that bad for you, you'd laugh in their face. if the O&G industry is paying or influencing someone to downplay or deny manmade climate change (as is very obviously the case with the declaration in the op), when they have a very obvious financial incentive to do so regardless of whether it's true, you should be skeptical of the impartiality and veracity of those claims.
B-1 83
AG
etxag02 said:

Someone needs to tell the university. Those poor kids are going to be corrupted.

Quote:

FACULTY STATEMENT ON CLIMATE CHANGE
The faculty of the Department of Atmospheric Sciences of Texas A&M University has extensive knowledge about the Earth's climate. As employees of a state university, it is our responsibility to offer our expertise on scientific issues that are important to the citizens of Texas, including whether and why the climate is changing.

We agree with the following conclusions based on current evidence:

1. The Earth's climate is warming, meaning that the temperatures of the lower atmosphere and ocean have been increasing over many decades. Average global surface air temperatures warmed by about 2F between 1880 and 2022.

2. Our best estimate is that humans are responsible for most or all of this warming. Natural factors, such as solar variability, unforced variability, or volcanic activity, have likely had little cumulative effect over this period.

3. On our current trajectory, the increase in global average temperature this century will exceed the Paris Agreement's goal of staying well below 3.6F.
Continued increases of atmospheric and oceanic temperatures present the risk of serious challenges to human society and ecosystems. It is difficult to quantify such challenges, except to say that the potential magnitudes of impacts increase rapidly as the magnitude of global warming increases.

This statement was unanimously adopted by the faculty in February 2023. It is in effect until next IPCC report or until revised.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: http://www.ipcc.ch
The American Geophysical Union statement on climate change: https://www.agu.org/Share-and-Advocate/Share/Policymakers/Position-Statements/Position_Climate
The American Meteorological Society statement on climate change: https://www.ametsoc.org/index.cfm/ams/about-ams/ams-statements/statements-of-the-ams-in-force/climate-change1/

https://today.tamu.edu/2020/11/17/texas-am-joins-a-global-call-for-net-zero-emissions/
How much research money have they gotten from pro-climate change sources? Prostitutes will say pretty much what you're willing to pay them to say.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
B-1 83
AG
Gosh…………….modern "researchers" will find out whatever you pay them to, also. Amazing! Now apply the acid test of the Scientific Method to "climate science" and get the real answer yourself.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
samurai_science
wxmanX said:

This is almost comical.

Wow, you are so smart.

Impressed.
oh no
AG
wxmanX said:

Science is settled.

samurai_science
I am sure our middle class being taxed more will save us... lol

https://energyandcleanair.org/publication/china-permits-two-new-coal-power-plants-per-week-in-2022/

Coal power plant permitting, construction starts and new project announcements accelerated dramatically in China in 2022, with new permits reaching the highest level since 2015. The coal power capacity starting construction in China was six times as large as that in all of the rest of the world combined.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/07/china-abandons-paris-agreement-making-u-s-efforts-painful-and-pointless/
samurai_science

More "settled science" that warming is bad goes down

Long-lost ice core reveals that most of Greenland was green 416,000 years ago

https://www.uvm.edu/news/story/greenland-melted-recently-shows-higher-risk-sea-level-rise

Bulletproof Evidence

Until recently, geologists believed that Greenland was a fortress of ice, mostly unmelted for millions of years
FCBlitz
beerad12man said:

wxmanX said:

yea, whatever.

One year of data? Now do last year compared to 20 years ago? 30? 50? 10?

How long has the earth been around? How many years since man start roam? Years since the start of the Industrial Revolution? Even a 59 year snap shot is like an eye blink in time.

The news is following through with their propaganda and reporting as if the earth has never been hotter. Clearly BS. It is funny to watch so called intelligent left that will immediately prostitute themselves to push false narratives. In one breath being obnoxious about the need to listen to science….then in the same breath will attack others by quoting false science as the accepted truth.
VaultingChemist
AG
Excellent post.

However, I would like to respond to your following statement:
Quote:

b. How do you accurately attribute how much is man made? You would need to be able to exactly calculate the amount of greenhouse gas produced by man vs nature, and there is simply no way currently to do this. Everything is based on a flawed aggregate of calculated estimates rife with more error variance (plant emissions, car emissions, cow farts, etc). In addition, these models have either done a poor job of modeling or else left out entirely the effect of volcanoes, solar flares, and sub-sea magma vents, which is a MASSIVE source of both heat and CO2.
This has been analyzed by David Evans as shown from the following video (which is difficult to find using Google or YouTube searches).

Please watch the first few minutes and go to 37:45 to get more detail on tracking carbon emissions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.