Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,358 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
SMidgett87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mullokmotx said:

According to the NRC website all 4 nuclear plants in Texas are at 100%.
I wonder why gonemaroon's pic 6 posts above yours shows STP at 79%?
[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/bpilcik/secede.jpg[/img]
Zobel
AG
It may be up but not loaded. Takes time to load due to thermal expansion etc.
SMidgett87
AG
Thanks!
[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/bpilcik/secede.jpg[/img]
riverrataggie
AG
why is ERCOT now blasting that we are at EEA2 and we are critical stages again?
Charpie
AG
we were at ee3 before.
Maverick06
AG
How come San Miguel plant doesn't show up on your map? It's the coal plant south of San Antonio in Christine, Tx. My dad retired from that plant and was curious how they faired through this.
riverrataggie
AG
Charpie said:

we were at ee3 before.
must be error on my side. My app has been showing Normal since yesterday.
Big Bucks
AG
Maverick06 said:

How come San Miguel plant doesn't show up on your map? It's the coal plant south of San Antonio in Christine, Tx. My dad retired from that plant and was curious how they faired through this.

They worked their butts off and stayed online through all this. Just heard this from person at the plant yesterday.
Jbob04
AG
MW prices just dropped down from $8900 to $36
lead
Jbob04 said:

makes sense http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/20210219_real_time_spp
eb93
AG
Pretty good read on what happened:
chimpanzee
Quote:

We're a couple of badly timed outages on top of a big winter storm away from having major issues in certain regions. I'm afraid that is what it will take for people to see the value in having reliable energy infrastructure.

I wasn't thinking of our region at the time, but this came up in the Keystone thread a month ago...
BenFiasco14
AG
Sun is out but ice and snow still all over the ground. Hoping businesses open back up today as I am down to three rolls of toilet paper.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
gonemaroon
AG
Generation is fist pumping and ERCOT pulled all the emergencies out - lets get life back to normal Texas
XXXVII
ERCOT at normal system conditions now.
Squadron7
AG
XXXVII said:

ERCOT at normal system conditions now.

But is Ted Cruz chainsawing limbs on downed lines????
aggiehawg
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Sun is out but ice and snow still all over the ground. Hoping businesses open back up today as I am down to three rolls of toilet paper.
You were at six yesterday morning. How many people are in your household??
Whitetail
AG
eb93 said:

Pretty good read on what happened:
Good read although the author skimmed over #16 a little quickly...and makes it seem like 11200 MW just all coordinately dropped because of frozen pipes/water all at once:

BS, They dropped the power because they were losing their ass financially. That's where I'd place my bet and what I'll assume going forward unless I hear a better explanation.

#16 quoted:
Quote:

BenFiasco14
AG
aggiehawg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

I have a condition
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
HotardAg07
AG
This is the best article I've seen at getting to the root cause of the issues:
https://billkingblog.com/the-texas-power-grid-failure-is-more-complicated-than-green-v-carbon/

I have no hope that the changes that we need will actually be implemented.
Whitetail
AG
All these explanations gloss over the reason why we lost 11GW of power on Monday night.
aggiehawg
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

aggiehawg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

I have a condition
Oh. Very sorry. Didn't intend to pry just wondered if you had people staying with you during the weather crisis.
Squadron7
AG
Whitetail said:

All these explanations gloss over the reason why we lost 11GW of power on Monday night.

Is this where you blame me and my 100 acre indoor hydroponic weed farm?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Jbob04 said:

They put the grid back on Normal Conditions and removed the Real-Time Price adders. Node prices were actually dropping a lot and fluctuating yesterday too, but ERCOT had the price adders to keep them pegged at $9000/MW
HotardAg07
AG
I've seen the explanations of what specifically happened in each case (wind, gas, coal, nuclear) on Monday, but that article is the best attempt I've seen at someone explaining WHY this happened from a structural level.
LostInLA07
AG
I would like to know how many plants tripped due to low grid frequency vs. actual issues at the plant. Of course they developed frozen lines, etc. after tripping and losing grid power, but how many were initially tripped due to grid operations?
HotardAg07
AG
I assume what you're looking for is that vertical line on the morning of the 15th.
Zobel
AG
Yes. Good question. And the root cause for the low frequency event. Was it precipitated by a plant tripping? Or was the grid operator too slow to shed load as wind dropped off?

But if you notice the stuff that was running was in a steady decline all night and into Monday. Whether that's from units going offline or derates due lack of fuel or difficulty running (loading frozen coal for example) its hard to say what we would have had capacity wise without the trip event.
Kenneth_2003
AG
If my thawing memory serves me correctly, gonemaroon indicated that he was watching the reserve power dwindle in RT as though load was simply not being shed fast enough.

69GW, 69.5GW... I know it's been stated that 74GW was the record output for the ERCOT grid, obviously this is a winter record, but where does it sit in the all-time?
Zobel
AG
Previous winter record was 65.9 in Jan of 2018.

But gonemaroon may be right, maybe not (not calling him out or anything). The operator may have been prepared to shed load appropriately, but something might have tripped before he was required to shed load. From where we sit it may be difficult to know whether the low frequency event was ultimately precipitated by something tripping, or if capacity dwindled to make frequency drop.
HotardAg07
AG
Just found the latest map. Looks like our Thursday electricity generation rally was aided by Wind, Nuclear, and Coal moreso than Gas.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Kenneth_2003
AG
Makes sense... I heard Wednesday morning that 2/3 of all Permian production was shut in or otherwise offline. That would tell me that NG is currently being moved from storage.

We'll get the answers to that next Thursday. Current report is for Week ending Feb 12 (last Friday)
https://ir.eia.gov/ngs/ngs.html?featureclicked=1&
mullokmotx
AG
The NRC website status is from the phone call the NRC makes to each unit's control room normally between 4 and 5 AM local time of each plant.
wessimo
AG
HotardAg07 said:

This is the best article I've seen at getting to the root cause of the issues:
https://billkingblog.com/the-texas-power-grid-failure-is-more-complicated-than-green-v-carbon/

I have no hope that the changes that we need will actually be implemented.

Lesson learned: buy a generator.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.