Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,260 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
azul_rain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey boys when do you reckon we get power back ?
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
45-70Ag
AG
Thursday or Friday

Tonight's storm will **** something up
45-70Ag
AG
dubi said:

redcrayon said:

I don't know the definition of a rolling blackout but my mom hasn't had power since 2am on Monday morning. 29 hours.

Where does your mom live? Surely the power of the Aggie Network could get her picked up and relocated to a place with heat!

Is she in the Waco area?
azul_rain
redcrayon
AG
dubi said:

redcrayon said:

I don't know the definition of a rolling blackout but my mom hasn't had power since 2am on Monday morning. 29 hours.

Where does your mom live? Surely the power of the Aggie Network could get her picked up and relocated to a place with heat!

Her power was restored at 11am today! Thank you for caring!
mosdefn14
AG
schmellba99 said:

I'd go diesel over LP on a genset if you don't have a NG line to feed. May be a bit louder and more of a pain to fill, but you can at least go get diesel in a pinch, even if you have to drive some. Not so with LP.
Except right now, when diesel in the tanks has gelled, and the filling stations are out of it, and no 9-1-1 to be found.

Atleast LP you can keep 3 20 pounders in your garage practically forever.

Maybe dual-fuel is the answer.
Kenneth_2003
AG
mosdefn14 said:

schmellba99 said:

I'd go diesel over LP on a genset if you don't have a NG line to feed. May be a bit louder and more of a pain to fill, but you can at least go get diesel in a pinch, even if you have to drive some. Not so with LP.
Except right now, when diesel in the tanks has gelled, and the filling stations are out of it, and no 9-1-1 to be found.

Atleast LP you can keep 3 20 pounders in your garage practically forever.

Maybe dual-fuel is the answer.
Diesel also doesn't store well for extended periods of time. It stores better than gasoline, but not indefinitely.
XXXVII
Get a load of ERCOT's corporate slogan. Promises were broken!

richardag
gonemaroon said:

Why the **** is Vistra's stock price up when their assets are frozen up not operating at all and prices are capping at $9,000?

Oh I know, once they cut the power to your home they are getting paid for $9,000 on their hedges and remaining solid fuel that is online.

Suddenly they went from being massively short and facing billions in losses to flat to long and printing money at the states expense.

If true then if anyone dies due to freezing these people should hang.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
DX2011
AG
Gonemaroon, can you post your dashboard that shows the supply Vs demand over the last 48 hours or so?
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
Forecast in Dallas shows is not above freezing until Saturday. Ugh.
lukesturr
AG
I agree. Nuclear fission plants should be embraced. With nuclear fusion looming in the horizon we could potentially replace all fossil fuels, but for now current nuclear technology and natural gas are excellent sources of energy with the least possible environmental impact currently available. I just wish we could break the stigma nuclear has and approach the future of energy logically and with respect to geography.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
schmellba99 said:

TommyBrady said:

Cost (which could easily be handled) and the boogeyman. Nuclear power scares anybody that believes what they see on facebook. Its easy to scare people and make them not feel "safe".

Also the fact that the government is a bipolar trans man who will change their mood at the drop of a poll is prob the biggest issue overall
Yep. STP had permits for 2 new reactors and was gearing up to get them under construction.

Then ***ishima happened. And the permits were immediately pulled. Because obviously ***isima Japan and Matagorda, TX are nearly identically geologically speaking and everybody knows the exact same thing is simply going to happen in Matagorda, right?

The permits weren't pulled, in fact they were granted by the NRC. STP has full permission from the government to begin construction at any time. They never got built because all the funding sources pulled out because of the immediate public backlash against nuclear. Thankfully the ***ushima fear has subsided pretty quickly compared to previous incidents in the industries past. Multiple Gen IV designs will be built and come online at the end of this decade/beginning 2030s. The DOE is making it happen by hell or high water
mrad85
AG
I'm more interested in the small thorium reactor research that is happening now. Supposedly, the goal is to have cities powered by their own reactor etc.

I may be slightly off on my understanding, but I know there is a lot of $$ being thrown at this.
agracer
AG
gonemaroon said:

The statement of 10's of billions of credit risk is a fact. The generators in particular GDF Suez lobbied for a $9,000 price cap. When I started in ERCOT it was $999 for reference. GDF Suez always manipulated the market and I sued them (PUCT granted them all sorts of legal rights to manipulate the market) and manipulate the futures exchange. PUCT allowed it and loved them manipulating price they sponsored it. GDF pushed for higher and higher prices and the other gens loved it got on board. I lost my lawsuit but FERC saw it and tasked their ass in PJM and MISO. GDF saw the risk of manipulating and sold all of their assets to guess who? Dynegy then Vistra - Vistra just bigger and bigger. Guess who has 4,000MW of plants in outage this week? Vistra.

Anyhow point being the gens wanted more volatility because they could handle it but the REPS couldn't. The fake manipulation bankrupted the REPS and forced them to sell to guess who? Vistra and NRG.

All the credit of frozen wind farms, REPS buying $7500 power. NRG and Vistra being stuck short. My friends and I thought Vistra was on the hook for a billion dollar upcoming loss. A black out zeros that loss out.

Lots of rambling but the credit risk was designed by the generators.
Less acronyms would be a GOOD THING...
Zobel
AG
Can someone who knows the trading side explain this?

https://www.kvue.com/amp/article/news/local/texas-ercot-power-outage-energy-demand-price-change/269-53ab63e2-8dcf-4485-8b9b-be6ad75316b4
WestAustinAg
AG
Earl_Rudder said:

TravelAg2004 said:

Something is going on...just watching the price map and it's dropping quite a bit state-wide in the last 15 minutes or so.

Not sure if other sources are coming back online or demand is dropping, but prices are dropping.
Try the outage map instead: https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

All day yesterday until ~9AM this morning the entire panhandle was blue, (0% outage.)
Why is the panhandle is normal shape? It is a statewide issue, I thought.
agracer
AG
lost my stars said:

gonemaroon said:

And the majority of the generation the grid operator tripped off line are older coal plants my assumption is that they are more sensitive to frequency degradations. So now it appears that NRG, CPS, LCRA and LS Power all lost coal plants in the middle of a gas emergency.

Can someone explain this to me? Why would you turn a power plant off if you're having trouble meeting the load?

Imagine a group of people pulling a weight with ropes all walking together. They're in sync. and it's moving along at a constant speed. Then someone throws some marbles onto the road they're walking on a few few of them fall down. Way over simplified I know but I think that's they best layman's analogy I can come up with.
Charpie
AG
They aren't on grid. Neither is El Paso
twk
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Earl_Rudder said:

TravelAg2004 said:

Something is going on...just watching the price map and it's dropping quite a bit state-wide in the last 15 minutes or so.

Not sure if other sources are coming back online or demand is dropping, but prices are dropping.
Try the outage map instead: https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

All day yesterday until ~9AM this morning the entire panhandle was blue, (0% outage.)
Why is the panhandle is normal shape? It is a statewide issue, I thought.
The Panhandle is not on the ERCOT grid. They are on a different grid. That's why a high voltage line was built from DFW along the Red River counties to the panhandle, so that all that wind energy could be plugged into the Texas grid. What a boondogle that's turnout out to be.
NomadicAggie
AG
This is incorrect on so many levels. Just plain wrong. You are upset, think you know something, and are on here making accusations you know nothing about. I'd be careful.
lukesturr
AG
45-70Ag
AG
NomadicAggie said:

This is incorrect on so many levels. Just plain wrong. You are upset, think you know something, and are on here making accusations you know nothing about. I'd be careful.

Do you work for ERCOT
tremble
AG
A sucker's born every minute
NomadicAggie
AG
Nope
WestAustinAg
AG
Maybe Texas should have load sharing agreements with the east and western grids. Does it?
azul_rain
I'm pretty sure we give those ******s in California wind energy
BurnetAggie99
TxFoundry said:

It's high time we bring back Reddy Kilowatt.

Old Austin Energy logo
Squadron7
AG
NomadicAggie said:

You have our attention. Please go on.
agdaddy04
AG
interesting timing, just got an email to register for this:
https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8360201945745410064?source=em2
New Webinar - A Grid Disrupted
Guitarsoup
AG
Dazed and Confused
AG
Some Power coming on line?

Jbob04
AG
Yeah I'm not buying that bs.
BlueMiles
AG
NM. Tried to fix it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.