Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,439 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
The Brazos Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's high time we bring back Reddy Kilowatt.
DallasAg 94
Charpie
AG
Old school CPL love right there
Magic City Wings
Can staff please change the thread title to "lack of rolling blackouts in Texas"
Aggie_2463
AG
Zobel said:

Conspiracy theory hat is that guys locked in at low rates and forced off to buy at high used leverage to force demand off the grid to cover themselves.

I can understand the theory, and I can't speak to any of that. I just know why some plants are down, and it's freeze issues and delivering fuel, etc etc
DallasAg 94
Ozzy Osbourne
How does one prepare for this? A basic generator may run a space heater for a while, but it's not going to keep the pipes unfrozen. Not to mention, you'd need diesel fuel with a special additive to keep it from freezing.

My house doesn't have a wood burning stove as an alternate heat source. I have a gas fireplace, but I could foresee gas outages as a possible failure mode as well.

I'm having a hard time knowing what could be done to prepare for a similar scenario.
flyingaggie12
AG
Solar + Generator + Batteries
mosdefn14
AG
The wholesale price map on Ercot's website just updated with the Panhandle mostly back to "normal" prices. Are things coming back online up there or are their customers just not pulling any power -> reduced demand brings prices back in-line?
Whitetail
AG
Thermal power plants make more electricity during the cold.

[GT example: Cold air inlet creates a larger delta T on the brayton cycle. Ie more work gets created for the same energy input.]
chimpanzee
Ozzy Osbourne said:

How does one prepare for this? A basic generator may run a space heater for a while, but it's not going to keep the pipes unfrozen. Not to mention, you'd need diesel fuel with a special additive to keep it from freezing.

My house doesn't have a wood burning stove as an alternate heat source. I have a gas fireplace, but I could foresee gas outages as a possible failure mode as well.

I'm having a hard time knowing what could be done to prepare for a similar scenario.
Whole home generator, big LP gas tank filled every May and November.
Zobel
AG
Sure... if they've got gas or aren't offline for some other cold related reason. With 30GW offline I'm sure we will hear plenty of case studies about why.
TravelAg2004
AG
Something is going on...just watching the price map and it's dropping quite a bit state-wide in the last 15 minutes or so.

Not sure if other sources are coming back online or demand is dropping, but prices are dropping.
mrad85
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

Something is going on...just watching the price map and it's dropping quite a bit state-wide in the last 15 minutes or so.

Not sure if other sources are coming back online or demand is dropping, but prices are dropping.

I think the "demand" is a manipulated number. The more they blackout, the less demand. It should be how how much power is needed.
Earl_Rudder
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

Try the outage map instead: https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

All day yesterday until ~9AM this morning the entire panhandle was blue, (0% outage.)
Whitetail
AG
Zobel said:

Sure... if they've got gas or aren't offline for some other cold related reason. With 30GW offline I'm sure we will hear plenty of case studies about why.
I wasn't making a point as to what other issues they may have. Just explaining to the folks that typically, we should have MORE thermal capacity when it is cold. All good my friend.
Zobel
AG
Yes the turbines themselves love cold. Gimme that low low inlet air temp
sands
AG
Earl_Rudder said:

TravelAg2004 said:

All day yesterday until ~9AM this morning the entire panhandle was blue, (0% outage.)
Do you think the CenterPoint figures (~15% outage) for Harris county are correct?
Earl_Rudder
AG
sands said:

Earl_Rudder said:

TravelAg2004 said:

Do you think the CenterPoint figures (~15% outage) for Harris county are correct?
Keep in mind these are estimates with some not reporting. There's also a time delay.

Looks like it's up to ~18% outage since your post.
BenFiasco14
AG
Still have power. Minus one roll of toilet paper but still stocked quite well.

Plenty of paper towels, disinfectant wipes, and hand sanitizer.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
azul_rain
We aren't getting cold water now. Are they about to shut water off ?
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
XXXVII
hedge said:

We aren't getting cold water now. Are they about to shut water off ?

Has your power been out for a while? If so, it could be frozen pipes in your house. I've had one pipe freeze when it got to single digit temps despite having power and running my heater all day.
azul_rain
We are getting hot water though
Ozzy Osbourne
hedge said:

Cold and hot are different pipes. Your pipes are frozen.
richardag
Shanked Punt said:

Zobel said:

Plants aren't normally down for maintenance in winter. Outages are in spring and fall.

The market is doing want people want / demand - cheap power, as cheap as possible on average. Side effect is infrequent events like this.
And this is very much a failure of the free market.

What free market?
You obviously do not understand what the words free market stands for.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
azul_rain
That sucks
Charpie
AG
ERCOT asking providers to shed more electricity.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/16/texas-power-outages-ercot-asks-austin-energy-shed-power/6763860002/?utm_source=SND&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=statesman
thirdcoast
AG
Why hasn't Biden demanded that predominantly white neighborhoods get shut down to allow for black neighborhoods to have power?

Is he no longer getting SJW memes from his rich white granddaughters?!
schmellba99
AG
TommyBrady said:

Cost (which could easily be handled) and the boogeyman. Nuclear power scares anybody that believes what they see on facebook. Its easy to scare people and make them not feel "safe".

Also the fact that the government is a bipolar trans man who will change their mood at the drop of a poll is prob the biggest issue overall
Yep. STP had permits for 2 new reactors and was gearing up to get them under construction.

Then ***ishima happened. And the permits were immediately pulled. Because obviously ***isima Japan and Matagorda, TX are nearly identically geologically speaking and everybody knows the exact same thing is simply going to happen in Matagorda, right?
XXXVII
hedge said:

The cold water feeds your water heater tank. You're probably just draining what's left of your hot water, or the cold water pipe that feeds your hot water has not frozen yet.
schmellba99
AG
chimpanzee said:

Ozzy Osbourne said:

Whole home generator, big LP gas tank filled every May and November.
Works great...until you can't get LP. Like I can't right now. Day 2 of an empty tank that was filled in December. Local suppliers can't fill their trucks because power isn't available to run the pumps at the fillling station, and they are 3-4 days behind in deliveries. I may not have heat again until this weekend at this rate.

I'd go diesel over LP on a genset if you don't have a NG line to feed. May be a bit louder and more of a pain to fill, but you can at least go get diesel in a pinch, even if you have to drive some. Not so with LP.
MisterScott
AG
schmellba99 said:

TommyBrady said:

Cost (which could easily be handled) and the boogeyman. Nuclear power scares anybody that believes what they see on facebook. Its easy to scare people and make them not feel "safe".

Also the fact that the government is a bipolar trans man who will change their mood at the drop of a poll is prob the biggest issue overall
Yep. STP had permits for 2 new reactors and was gearing up to get them under construction.

Then ***ishima happened. And the permits were immediately pulled. Because obviously ***isima Japan and Matagorda, TX are nearly identically geologically speaking and everybody knows the exact same thing is simply going to happen in Matagorda, right?
Gulf Coast Texas is a passive coastal margin. Japan is riding on one of the most active tectonic zones in the world. The worst thing Matagorda gets is hurricanes. Even Tsunamis are unlikely there given the shape of the GOM, though seismic activity is present in the regions south of Florida and Cuba. The lack of a coherent nuclear policy and plants is one of the greatest travesties of last 40 years. Modern reactor designs are leaps and bounds above the old ones. We should be building new nuke plants on an assembly line, open Yucca Mountain and agree to the phased reduction of older nukes and coal plants.
Class of 1996
45-70Ag
AG
Powers been mostly out since yesterday morning and I've been running all faucets in the house since Sunday

Electric bill will be less with it cut off but our water bill will be terrible.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Seeing the RT price map starting to see periods of lower cost wholesale power available. It'll turn orange, or a few minutes ago turned yellow and blue, then back to red. Is this an indication that some true spare capacity is starting to come back into the grid?
dubi
AG
redcrayon said:

I don't know the definition of a rolling blackout but my mom hasn't had power since 2am on Monday morning. 29 hours.

Where does your mom live? Surely the power of the Aggie Network could get her picked up and relocated to a place with heat!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.