Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,247 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
AggieBaseball06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shanked Punt said:

We've shed over 3000 MW of supply over the last few hours. Nice job fossil fuel plants.

I'm going to assume we have gained supply because you're generally wrong about everything.
Bag
AG
YouBet said:

Atmos just sent another emergency alert about limiting gas use.

I'm going to go with 'things I tell to **** off' Alex, for $200
black_ice
black_ice said:

Got this txt earlier today

" Lee County Water

From the Lee County Judges Office. All Lee County Water Customers please conserve water until further notice."

Water still on though.

Just received this txt

" Lee County Water Boil Water

Lee County Water Supply is requesting all customers in the following areas to boil water for consumption until further notice: T X 21 and F M 141 in Dime Box going south to Giddings City Limits, F M 1697 and F M 180 to Nails Creek Park and south approximately 5 miles. County Road 117 to all of the Leobau area. All Country Corner Area. Country Corner to F M 2440. All of F M 2440 to T X 21. All of County Road 113 to T X 21. For Further information contact Lee County Water Supply at 979-542-0770 or 979-542-1611."
titan
S
tremble said:

They should end up in jail. This has a vaguely Enron-esque whiff of **** to it.

What caused the skyrocketing gas market rates before this storm, to make them do this stunt? This is implying the unplugging is not needed.

Cant' be blamed on President Biden. He has given the go ahead to Gov. Abbott for disaster declaration.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
azul_rain
SA Mayor said that the energy system is not reliable in Texas with winter weather but it is with summer ? The ****
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
45-70Ag
AG
Starting up again.

45-70Ag
AG
Charpie
AG

YouBet
AG
Power gone again.

Liars. Same people keep taking the hit.
gonemaroon
AG
tremble said:

They should end up in jail. This has a vaguely Enron-esque whiff of **** to it.

The PUCT commissioners and all of their communications need to be investigated - for these immediate and non-discussed pricing policies. Also the discussions to bring plants back from outage prior to the storm and what the plan was all week long when it came to handling 10,000MW of rotating black outs they knew they were going to perform as of early last week.

Let me see if I can put a chart on another post here - brb
gonemaroon
AG
ERCOT outages prior to the storm and after. Prior to the storm they were well aware of the capacity shortage they were facing. Wonder why none of this came back for the once in a lifetime winter storm? PUCT, ERCOT, and the big generation companies failed Texas.
mrad85
AG
At least they are being honest about driving the demand down even more this evening. Maybe they should try doing the same with capacity.
gonemaroon
AG
should I post those outages on it's on thread so everyone can go stark raving ****ing mad? I've really only been posting on this thread / mainly due to how busy I have been with all of this.
black_ice
Yes
ChrisHansen
AG
Please
Zobel
AG
Sure but in fairness some of those outages couldn't reasonably have been finished in time once forecast was known. The mistake was taking them in winter, but once that decision was made it was done.
Justin2010
AG
annie88 said:

I am a bit in the country in Bryan and we are now at a one hour on one hour off on the power. Water has not been a problem. This is much better than having no power for eight or nine hours at a stretch so far. Don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow with more snow though that we absolutely don't need.

Thank God for my fireplace.

Same here... West Bryan. I can definitely deal with the 1 on 1 off pattern. Especially after the 8 off 1 on we were getting.
JobSecurity
AG
Isn't that letter what they should have done? Why is that an issue? If pricing wasn't taking into account the load being shed that needed to be fixed. I guess my question would be why that wasn't the standard protocol to begin with.

The tweet doesn't have anything to do with the letter unless I'm totally confused.
Justin2010
AG
I heard through the grapevine that ercot is asking for further reduced loads from cities and energy companies for tonight.
45-70Ag
AG
So far we 36 hours in with 35 off and 1 on

gonemaroon
AG
Correct, they should fix the pricing mechanism when it is not operating correctly. I don't have an issue with them changing the prices to reflect scarcity. What the commission did was change the methodology yesterday at 5PM. The markets reopened and folks made transaction off that methodology.

Then today they had yet another meeting and changed the order they just put in place the night before. I made transactions off the order that they put into place last night at 5PM and lost my ****ing ass today when they reverted a portion of their policy. They are literally drunk driving while running the grid. No one transacting in this grid has pricing certainty when you have idiots at the helm with all the power.
gonemaroon
AG
Right, but see the graph? None of them came back. That's an F- for effort.
XXXVII
gonemaroon said:

Correct, they should fix the pricing mechanism when it is not operating correctly. I don't have an issue with them changing the prices to reflect scarcity. What the commission did was change the methodology yesterday at 5PM. The markets reopened and folks made transaction off that methodology.

Then today they had yet another meeting and changed the order they just put in place the night before. I made transactions off the order that they put into place last night at 5PM and lost my ****ing ass today when they reverted a portion of their policy. They are literally drunk driving while running the grid. No one transacting in this grid has pricing certainty when you have idiots at the helm with all the power.

Which heads should roll at ERCOT over this?
Charpie
AG
They all should
itsyourboypookie
Solution: Texas taxes green energy the same as the federal subsidies.

They use that money to upgrade the power grid.

Playing field is now level.

Everyone wins.
JobSecurity
AG
Thanks. That makes sense and is totally ****ed. I was just confused about the context of that tweet vs the letter. The tweet implies generators were staying off line to avoid spot NG prices as they wouldn't be profitable at the previous (broken) cap price. Is that right? I don't totally believe that but I don't know enough about the NG market.

gonemaroon
AG
PUCT Commission Chairs - all 3 of them
gonemaroon
AG
That's far stretched / when the grid is in dire straights the plants aren't screwing around with-holding due to gas prices. Also, ERCOT can RUC you online (meaning turn you on out of merit) and they have a system to reimburse you for your costs. So it's a stretch for them to say that - but I'd guess the PUCT commissioners don't even understand this. If you ever listen to them they are dumb ****s.
black_ice
These 3 commissars must be brought up on charges.
Justice Beaver
AG
Charpie said:

I'm getting pretty damn tired of AEP trying to blame ERCOT at every opportunity for this when they haven't rotated the outage a single time over the past 36 hours to my knowledge. Just kept the same 400,000+ of their "customers" (yours truly included) who they cut initially without power to shed the load and meet ERCOT's demand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing/defending ERCOT here by any means. They have plenty to answer for themselves.
45-70Ag
AG

If this goofy idiot knows something, just speak up. If not, go the hell away
Charpie
AG
They have been posted in this thread
gonemaroon
AG
I honestly think we gain a lot of generation back on Thursday afternoon. Then the motherload comes back on Friday afternoon once it warms up. That's my guess after years of watching these events. What makes this unique is that the black out on Monday Night tripped the units so hard that it likely damaged them. And now they are ice cold and hard as hell to just start back up even if there are no problems.
gonemaroon
AG
Also, like it or not we are going to get major solar output come Thurs and Friday afternoon and the wind will unfreeze and it's going to rock our world and get that power back online regardless of what the coal and gas plants accomplish.
Rapier108
45-70Ag said:

If this goofy idiot knows something, just speak up. If not, go the hell away
I'd trust ERCOT over Dora any day of the week.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.