Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,320 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
kingj3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry to be a dumb. What happened to nat gas?
gonemaroon
AG
It's frozen off at the well
Whitetail
AG
45-70Ag
AG
They're both posting things that contradict one another.

BurnetAggie99
At this point the utilities are being honest that their hands are tied due to ercot and putting the blame where it lies.
Whitetail
AG
45-70Ag said:

They're both posting things that contradict one another.

ERCOT and Oncor posts don't contradict. Both say outages ongoing due to lack of generation.
ChemEAg08
AG
I think what they're getting at is some houses had no electricity and the ones that could get it may be part of rolling blackouts (ex: I lost my power for 36 hrs until it came back yesterday, now on rolling blackouts).
mullokmotx
AG
Looked at the NRC website and it shows South Texas Unit 1 at 0% power. The other 3 nuclear units in the state are at 100%.
45-70Ag
AG
Will power even be restored by Saturday?
nortex97
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

At this point the utilities are being honest that their hands are tied due to ercot and putting the blame where it lies.
Yes, but the real scandal is that ERCOT and the state political leadership didn't meet around 10 days ago (Feb 7 or so, given forecasts), to discuss how to mobilize resources to ensure capacity could be dispatched as much as needed. National Guard, emergency maintenance funds/assistance, discussions with federal regulators for exemptions/emergency declaration, you name it.

Nothing was done, not even declarations/press releases begging people to decrease usage/plan for outages. Heck, not even a tweet or a meeting. We're all just analyzing the arrangement of deck chairs on the Titanic now as the band plays.

This week-long weather system didn't just pop up out of nowhere. Even the weather guys like Pete Delkas (local DFW guy) have been on a tear about it.
Ag In Ok
AG
Can you post a screenshot of the Texas map showing the production status of power generation across the state? I find that one to be a great illustration of our situation
azul_rain
I'm doubting it the longer this goes on
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Phat32
AG

Current:

gonemaroon
AG
Of course would be glad to - one second
Tanya 93
These blackouts froze rescued animals to death

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Chimpanzee-monkeys-and-lemurs-are-dead-after-15954528.php?IPID=MySA-HP-CP-Spotlight&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR2Z5U_kQNlPbYrD3Wepa7eo8vuOnS6tM0hvr-1BHt3mLc8XiA3txaijoAM

Quote:

After power went out about 6 a.m. Monday at the 70-acre sanctuary in North Bexar County that primarily houses primates including chimpanzees, monkeys and lemurs Brooke Chavez and her staff tried everything they could to keep the animals protected.
They tried using generators. Space heaters. Propane tanks. Loads of blankets.
By nightfall, as temperature dipped yet again, Chavez realized their efforts were futile. They began to evacuate some of the sanctuary's 400 animals, which were abused and exploited in the research and entertainment industries.
"I've never faced a decision like this," said Chavez, executive director of Primarily Primates, the nonprofit in Leon Springs. "Having to decide who we can save, depending on the predictability of which animals we can catch."
As the 12 staff members and volunteers began shepherding animals into carriers to transport them to the San Antonio Zoo and another sanctuary near the Oklahoma border for shelter, Chavez and her staff began to find dead animals throughout the facility.

gonemaroon
AG
Here you go / just remember a lot of the gas power plants which are represented by the flame may not be able to purchase gas right now. The octagon looking thing our coal plants
JobSecurity
AG
yukmonkey said:

Current:

Centerpoint has 1.37m out right now. Half of the state's outages are in the Houston metro. Bonkers
ebdb_bnb
My parents are in Fort Bend County (Centerpoint). They had power until 6pm Sunday and have been without it since. BIL works for Centerpoint and he said they could turn the power back on but ERCOT won't let them.
Spaceship
AG
It's hard to imagine, but things seem worse for ERCOT today than they were yesterday.
XXXVII
Wind only producing about 1200 MW and dropping fast, and solar is zero right now.

DripAG08
AG
Spaceship said:

It's hard to imagine, but things seem worse for ERCOT today than they were yesterday.

That's not good. Better go fill the generator.
LostInLA07
AG
Just curious, what application / service is that from?
LostInLA07
AG
Yep. I went to re-fill gas cans early this morning while power was on in the area.
Kozmozag
How did the puc treat centerpoint in last years negotiations. Pretty sure they told them no more money.
Tanya 93
Out of curiosity, how long and what can you run on a generator?

Do you put it in the back of your truck to fill or does it take a lot of gas cans?
LostInLA07
AG
It depends on the size of the generator.

We've been just fine with our tailgate generator that is only 2200 watts and doesn't weigh all that much...easy to carry around with one hand. It runs our TVs, lights, computers, internet stuff (when it is working), refrigerator, gas tankless water heater (pretty sure the circ pump has prevented our hot water lines from freezing without having to drip them), air fryer, etc. We've been running it continuously while we don't have power (turn it off at night when we're sleeping) and have gone through less than 5 gallons of gas. It's also fairly quiet.

A larger generator would go through a lot more gas.
V8Aggie
AG
Purchase a tri fuel generator. Can run off propane, gas, or natural gas from the house.
DripAG08
AG
I have the large 7500W that the entire neighboorhood can hear. Stays on the side of the house in protective shell I built for it, but I can get about 10 HRS on 5-6 gallons of gas at 50% load.

We run pretty much everything we need to off of it.
Tanya 93
That's a lot less gas than I thought

My snow level goes well past my ankles but we have been fine with electricity and the roads.

Just thought that might be something to look into

aggielostinETX
AG
AustinAg008 said:

I have the large 7500W that the entire neighboorhood can hear. Stays on the side of the house in protective shell I built for it, but I can get about 10 HRS on 5-6 gallons of gas at 50% load.

We run pretty much everything we need to off of it.

Are you running extension cords or did you have it hooked up to the house?
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
agracer
AG
ebdb_bnb said:

BIL works for Centerpoint and he said they could turn the power back on but ERCOT won't let them.
. Why?
gonemaroon
AG
Genscape
Aggie_2463
AG
Looking at that map posted, thank god it's not all wind power out there.
itsyourboypookie
We have 41 apartments in Comanche.

16 units have power 20 hours a day.

25 haven't had power since the initial crash.

We've been breaking into units doing welfare checks all morning.

We only have 4 tenants that don't have the means to leave. We are delivering them water abd food but can't get hotels because they are all booked up.

Coleman has been a **** show as well. I don't even want to talk about it.
flyingaggie12
AG
can we share this map with other outside of texags?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.