Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,279 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
Whitetail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jbob04 said:

Yeah I'm not buying that bs.
Stick them in the parking lot.
azul_rain
Hearing reports that SA is shutting water off at 8pm
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
agracer
AG
black_ice said:

thirdcoast said:

Hidalgo is frantically looking for a way to refrigerate vaccines after power outage at supply storage!

Lol morons
medicines have to be stored at a specific temperature, not just "cold". Putting them outside like you do with beer will make them go bad just as fast as leaving them on the counter.

But don't let your ignorance get in the way of a good gotcha moment.
titan
S
MisterScott said:

Zobel said:

It's not a demand side problem. If everyone set their thermostat to 60 the grid would still have had the same problems.
Agreed. I have not seen figures but I cannot imagine, and happy to admit I am wrong, that peak demand right now is near what it is on the hottest days. Happy to be proven wrong. This is a supply-side failure.
Okay then, since people naturally assume that "overloading the grid" or some such causes blakcouts, if it is not a demand problem ----- then it appears to be a lack of enough units working or online to meet the need. If that is the case, what is holding up committing reserve power as a stop gap, since its not even an over-demand issue?
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
AggieRob93
AG
hedge said:

Be interesting to know the source for this. Someone within SAWS but not rolled out to the public?
rgag12
AG
hedge said:

azul_rain
on top of that CPS grid is about to fail
azul_rain
so theyre shutting it off
rgag12
AG
hedge said:

so theyre shutting it off

No
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Spi has been without power since Sunday night.

A big part of the RGV is the same
missyaggie said:

We just moved our parents into assisted living and were staying at their house cleaning and organizing. We headed back to Tennessee Saturday afternoon to beat the weather. We left heat on, cabinets with pipes open, and outside spigots wrapped.

If we had known that blackouts were planned, we would have shut off water completely and turned off water heater. No telling what damage might occur now, and we're too far away to do anything about it.

Where's is at. Someone can stop by abd kill the water. I know people who know people
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Maybe Texas should have load sharing agreements with the east and western grids. Does it?
Not possible (at least in any real capacity) unless we want to be subject to federal regulations (FERC).

Texas wanted to be independent so bad that we can't share power with our northern neighbors in times like this. We can point fingers every which way (which I'm sure will happen), but this is an example of Texas-isolationism gone wrong. Can't really blame the feds for this screw-up, we have to own it.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
Lets just fix it ourselves and keep the feds out. There is something to self reliance
AggieBaseball06
AG
NomadicAggie said:

This is incorrect on so many levels. Just plain wrong. You are upset, think you know something, and are on here making accusations you know nothing about. I'd be careful.

He has been pretty knowledgeable so far. If you think he is wrong, please post WHY instead of spme useless threat like this.
azul_rain
We've had power for 20 minutes now
CDUB98
AG
We don't need the Feds or the other grids.

What we need to do is fix our own problems.

Start with building more generating capacity that uses nat gas. We're going to need it anyway as illegals and Cali jackwagons flood across our border in increase the population.
azul_rain
cranking the heat on MAX
Whitetail
AG
CDUB98 said:

Start with building more generating capacity that uses nat gas. We're going to need it anyway as illegals and Cali jackwagons flood across our border in increase the population.
*With distillate tanks to use as back up.
CDUB98
AG
Interesting thought.
WestAustinAg
AG
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

WestAustinAg said:

Maybe Texas should have load sharing agreements with the east and western grids. Does it?
Not possible (at least in any real capacity) unless we want to be subject to federal regulations (FERC).

Texas wanted to be independent so bad that we can't share power with our northern neighbors in times like this. We can point fingers every which way (which I'm sure will happen), but this is an example of Texas-isolationism gone wrong. Can't really blame the feds for this screw-up, we have to own it.
But we are subject to federal regulations...at least on polution standards that keep getting raised necesarrily so that more and more power plants have to be mothballed.

What other regulations are we talking about? Rules about sharing power with other states?
agracer
AG
Ozzy Osbourne said:

How does one prepare for this? A basic generator may run a space heater for a while, but it's not going to keep the pipes unfrozen. Not to mention, you'd need diesel fuel with a special additive to keep it from freezing.

My house doesn't have a wood burning stove as an alternate heat source. I have a gas fireplace, but I could foresee gas outages as a possible failure mode as well.

I'm having a hard time knowing what could be done to prepare for a similar scenario.
If you have a gas furnance a basic generator will run it just fine and your fridge and maybe a few other appliances. Not your stove or cook top (if they are electric).
agracer
AG
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

WestAustinAg said:

The fed's regulations killed a lot of coal power generation in Texas. They certainly share some of the blame.
Post removed:
by user
Whitetail
AG
CDUB98 said:

Interesting thought.
Distillate backup for every gas turbine. That's how it used to be in the good old days.
gonemaroon
AG
Sure I can do it - give me a second I have to do it from my phone I'm not smart enough to post photos on here from my PC for some reason
gonemaroon
AG
Is this what you wanted to see? This is for Monday night all the way out through tomorrow. Obviously their load is reduced in their forecast now considering that people are not consuming electricity. Otherwise tomorrow's load would be 70,000 MW.
falconace
Is there concern that this new round of storms coming through will cause issues with the grid due to ice?
mrad85
AG
Whitetail said:

CDUB98 said:

Interesting thought.
Distillate backup for every gas turbine. That's how it used to be in the good old days.

People used to burn drip all the time. My dad had an old station wagon that would run on it. It knocked like crazy when you tried to turn it off, but it ran. Crazy cheap "fuel"
polarice
AG
CDUB98 said:

Isn't gas based generation the bulk of capacity that was lost due to the icing?
Whitetail
AG
polarice said:

CDUB98 said:

username checks out
CDUB98
AG
It wasn't lost just because it was nat gas based.

There are multiple failures across multiple points in the infrastructure. We can't blame one thing. But, we (TX) do need to get our **** together for the years to come.
polarice
AG
CDUB98 said:

It wasn't lost just because it was nat gas based.

There are multiple failures across multiple points in the infrastructure. We can't blame one thing. But, we (TX) do need to get our **** together for the years to come.

Notice I said icing in my post, wasn't blaming the gas itself bud
Zobel
AG
Whoo boy that's an expensive retrofit. Couple million per GT and no true DLN - no guaranteed CO performance, and gotta inject water or steam, which means a water plant... which would probably fail in the cold.
Cassius
polarice said:

CDUB98 said:

Yes. Had we been running completely on wind and solar, this would not have happened. Contact your congress person and advocate for texas joining one of the two national grids and moving to solar and wind.
Whitetail
AG
Zobel said:

Whoo boy that's an expensive retrofit. Couple million per GT and no true DLN - no guaranteed CO performance, and gotta inject water or steam, which means a water plant... which would probably fail in the cold.
fake news

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.