Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,541 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
TxAg82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Neither did the brand new natural gas units in Montgomery County. $1 billion dollars and they barely lasted 12 hours below freezing. So now I am sitting in my house with 3 kids under 5 and about to go below 50 inside. Wind failed, natural gas failed. There is a whole lot of blame to go around.
Squadron7
AG
sam callahan said:

I am interested in the psychological phenomenon of a poster who consistently post such wrongheaded thinking that constantly gets thoroughly rebutted and yet it does not seem to slow his posting or hubris in the slightest.

You're in the right place.
AgBQ-00
AG
This is true. A whole hell of a lot of folks better be facing hellfire when this is all said and done. Malfeasance and negligence is no way to run a power grid.

Then they will turn around and blame the consumer for not "conserving" enough to enable the grid to operate.
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
mrad85
AG
I've been told the street lights are out in Houston.

This is insane.

Tanya 93
TxAg82 said:

Neither did the brand new natural gas units in Montgomery County. $1 billion dollars and they barely lasted 12 hours below freezing. So now I am sitting in my house with 3 kids under 5 and about to go below 50 inside. Wind failed, natural gas failed. There is a whole lot of blame to go around.
Put your kids in several layers and if you have sleeping bags, pull them out.

I didn't allow my son to go, but his Scout Troop had few go camping Saturday to earn their clear bead. They survived, but did not really enjoy camping in negative weather.

Blankets, hats, and thermals.

Stay safe
rausr
AG
My son lives in an apartment complex off of Finfeather in Bryan - he has been without since 2:00 am.

Judging from their outage map it looked like they might be making some progress late in the afternoon, and he saw a BTU truck in the area, so I was hopeful.

I sat down and had some supper and checked their outage map again - just in the time as the sun set it spiked from 18K out to 23K out.

Told him to bundle up.

AgResearch
AG
Tanya 93 said:

TxAg82 said:

I didn't allow my son to go, but his Scout Troop had few go camping Saturday to earn their clear bead. They survived, but did not really enjoy camping in negative weather.

Stay safe
+1 to this. Loose fitting layers like fleece, jogging pants, sweatshirts, etc help hold in the body heat. No denim, thin synthetics, or the like. Keep the balance of warm without sweating. Anything gets damp from sweat it needs to come off and replaced to avoid chilling.
BenFiasco14
AG
Still have power here. Also heavily stocked with toilet paper and disinfectant wipes.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Post removed:
by user
sands
AG
ERCOT capacity keeps trending down.
black_ice
BenFiasco14 said:

Still have power here. Also heavily stocked with toilet paper and disinfectant wipes.

I have power as well. I did turn off my 6 alexas to help the cause though.
black_ice
sands said:

We could see a system wide failure.
Tanya 93
Bregxit said:

Tanya 93 said:

TxAg82 said:

Stay safe

Why? That's a big deal!
He is only 12 and in his first year

I want him to have more experience before that happens. Making sure he can quickly set up a tent or get a fire started. How to cook warming food on the coleman stove.

Stuff like that
azul_rain
This reminds me of Die Hard 4 except it's not fun
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Zobel
AG
Half of our thermal, dispatchable generation down and people are still talking about wind. There's more coal, gas, and nuclear not working right now than all of the wind on the grid combined. It's all not working for the same reason - equipment in Texas not designed for this kind of cold. Just like houses which are gonna have broken pipes - houses in Texas not designed for this kind of cold.
Zobel
AG
You shut your mouth. Don't you wish that evil on us Ricky Bobby.
wessimo
AG
mrad85 said:

This is insane.

Skyline is still lit up for some reason.
eric76
AG
Tanya 93 said:

TxAg82 said:

Stay safe
One time in high school, I was on a campout in twenty degree weather. To sleep, we chose a place in a dry lakebed where water came down from an upper dam. It was about seven feet deep and had an exit just big enough for three sleeping bags. We built a large fire in the hole where the water would fall and it was really nice and warm.

Unfortunately, about three am, one of the camper's sleeping bags caught fire. It didn't burn fast but just smoldered. We couldn't get the thing out and it was a total loss. For some reason, his mother blamed me as if it was all my fault. In the 50 years or so since then, I don't know that she's ever forgotten it.

On a Boy Scouts campout at Lake Schultz (south of Hardesty, Oklahoma) when it was about freezing, I got sick and threw up all over my sleeping bag around where my head was. It was too cold to get out so I slept in the vomit covered bag all night.
Stat Monitor Repairman
black_ice said:

sands said:

I have unwavering faith in smart grid technology.

Its more of a religious faith type of experience. The grid will rise from the dead. We shall anoint Greta Thunberg's muff with francinsence and mirrh.
black_ice
Zobel said:

Half of our thermal, dispatchable generation down and people are still talking about wind. There's more coal, gas, and nuclear not working right now than all of the wind on the grid combined. It's all not working for the same reason - equipment in Texas not designed for this kind of cold. Just like houses which are gonna have broken pipes - houses in Texas not designed for this kind of cold.

What are you trying to say?
rausr
AG
hedge said:

The Brazos Kid
mrad85 said:

This is insane.

Thankfully too cold for thugs to take advantage of darkness to loot and riot.

EDIt for grammur and stuff
jt2hunt
AG
This **** sucks
Cassius
hedge said:

mrad85
AG
We're down to 15 on, 15 off. I'm about ready to say "screw it" and go to bed
Tanya 93
Did at least some of you have your kids make snow angels today?
eric76
AG
Think of those who lived in castles. Those castles weren't heated except for a few feet around the fireplaces. They pretty much stayed warm by dressing to stay warm.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
The entire grid is knocked square on its ass. It's not just wind, the problem is literally everything. We normally should be able to muster something like 70 GW of thermal power and were struggling to make 45 right now. Even if the wind turbines were doing 100% of their capacity we'd still be short. Or the flip side, if all our thermal plants were working we'd be ok.

This is an event that just wasn't designed for. Nobody in Texas designs for 5 degree lows. The problem is everywhere from the plants themselves to the gas infrastructure to our homes.

Saying "well wind is making x" is a yeah, and coal and nuke and gas aren't working either! It's all a mess.

ERCOT is going to say plants should do more weatherization. Well they said the same thing in 2011. Didn't seem to do much good.
DuncanLEO
Ginormus Ag said:

This is bull***** We're at 20 minutes off 2 minutes on. We just got 20 seconds of power and then it went back off. In-laws 10 minutes away haven't lost power at all.

Better fire up the waambulance. Many of us haven't had power since 2:30 am and some even longer.
Gordon Bombay
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

black_ice said:

sands said:

I have unwavering faith in smart grid technology.

Its more of a religious faith type of experience. The grid will rise from the dead. We shall anoint Greta Thunberg's muff with francinsence and mirrh.
eric76
AG
mrad85 said:

Some people order their nighttime activities differently.
BenFiasco14
AG
mrad85 said:

CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
t-shirt fan
From Bluebonnect Electric:

At 7 p.m., for the third time in 90 minutes, ERCOT increased the amount of energy utilities are required to shed via statewide rotating outages. Each utility is assigned prorated share of the overall statewide requirement. Expect mandatory rotating outages tonight and tomorrow.

Shanked Punt
Zobel said:

ERCOT is going to say plants should do more weatherization. Well they said the same thing in 2011. Didn't seem to do much good.

It's going to take more than a simple best practices request after a voluntary audit. We've seen this time and time again, the industry will not do this on their own. The must be forced through regulation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.