Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,569 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
Aggie1944s Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have not lost power in SW Fort Worth. If anyone is in the area or if you have relatives in the area we'd be happy to pick anyone up and bring them over here.

User name at hotmail
Get ready bal. You're gonna in for a problem.
aggielostinETX
AG
I'll have my guy out soon as possible to install a main cut off and plug. Have a 6k on wheels but it not optimal.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
mosdefn14
AG
Aggie1944s Kid said:

We have not lost power in SW Fort Worth. If anyone is in the area or if you have relatives in the area we'd be happy to pick anyone up and bring them over here.
What area/ cross streets are you? It seems to almost neighborhood by neighborhood
The Fall Guy
AG
After 12 hours we finally got power in Kyle
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
mosdefn14 said:

Aggie1944s Kid said:

What area/ cross streets are you? It seems to almost neighborhood by neighborhood
Hulen Bend "Estates". Never understood the "Estates" part of this neighborhood.

It's strange as we have friends very close they do not have power.
SquanchyAg
eric76 said:

SquanchyAg said:

Good news is, it is cold enough to put the beers outside since no power means no fridge.
Beer can freeze.

One time in the early 1970s, my younger brother and I grabbed a case of beer from the refrigerator in the shop, grabbed a beer for each of us, put the rest of the beer in the back of the pickup, and headed to town. About six miles from the house, we had each finished our first beer and so we stopped, got out, each grabbed a beer out of the back of the pickup, and opened them up to find out that they were already freezing.

Por su Puerto. That's why you gotta drink them fast!
azul_rain
Now we went from five minutes to two minutes
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
hmiles619
AG
I have family near Normangee. Do they need someone to check on them?
Canyon99
AG
Anyone here with family that needs something in Gillespie County then I am very happy to help. I'll be checking this thread so please respond here if anyone needs help.
BurnetAggie99
Ercot asking us Austin Energy to shed more load but we can't already at what we can shed. Executive management telling Ercot to go pound sand
ocling
AG
I live in Dallas. Why has my power been out for the majority of the day, and the houses across the street have yet to lose power at all? Rolling blackouts my ass
Rapier108
BurnetAggie99 said:

Ercot asking us Austin Energy to shed more load but we can't already at what we can shed. Executive management telling Ercot to go pound sand
Good, there is only so much each utility can do. With the way ERCOT is going, all that will be left online are hospitals, fire and police, water/wastewater plants, and anything that is lucky enough to be nearby. If they want more, then those will have to be shut down as well.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
YouBet
AG
Doesn't do any good to reports anything to Oncor here in Dallas. The site hasn't worked all day for me. Server probably dead.
nortex97
AG
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/14/historic-winter-storm-freezes-texas-wind-turbines-hampering-electric-generation/4483230001/
Danny Vermin
Power off again at my place.
Shanked Punt
Aggie1944s Kid said:

User name at hotmail
Curious if you have gas or electric heat. I'm guessing taking out a house heated by natural gas would barely move the needle.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
We are all electric.
eric76
AG
Rapier108 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Good, there is only so much each utility can do. With the way ERCOT is going, all that will be left online are hospitals, fire and police, water/wastewater plants, and anything that is lucky enough to be nearby. If they want more, then those will have to be shut down as well.
I would think that hospitals should have emergency generators.

An old friend of mine bought an emergency generator from one of the major hospitals in Houston years ago. The next hurricane to knock his power out, he hooked his house and the houses of a number of his neighbors to it and generated electricity until the power was restored.
videoag98
AG
Tucker is all over this tonight in his opening monologue

Green Energy = Less reliable grid
Swan Song
AG
Email just now from our power provider. We haven't lost power *yet*:

We recognize many of you are suffering prolonged outages. Please understand these conditions are affecting millions of Texans. As deplorable as they conditions are they are likely to continue for several more days. The grid administrators are now controlling what operates and when service will be restored. There is little even the local utilities can help with. The system is forcing customers off so the system as a whole will function. We know this is terrible, but at this stage it will likely not provide you relief to even speak with the local transmission providers. Please know blackouts will be lengthy and severe. Please conserve any non essential uses of your electricity.

Take all the precautions that you can. We apologize for the hardships this is creating, but these are emergency conditions and there are few good options. If you do want to reach out, please also be mindful your TDU's phone and websites may have higher than normal hold times or may be down altogether. Their contacts are below.
annie88
AG
hedge said:

When is this going to be over ?
It's going to be in the 60s by Saturday and 70s by Monday.

The next few days are gonna be damn cold though.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
eric76
AG
SitonapotatopanOtis said:

You could say that it turns ordinary life into an adventure.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Haven't had power since Friday at 7pm. Burned 3 cords of wood keeping me and neighbors homes warm.

**** al liberals and their 300 frozen wind turbines I am staring at not doing a damn thing.
Shanked Punt

Of course he is completely ignoring all of the NG and coal power plants that have succumbed due to the weather, and ignoring the failures of an agency overseen by a state government who has been conservative for decades, though he can push his agenda.
Cassius
Shanked Punt said:

Of course he is completely ignoring all of the NG and coal power plants that have succumbed due to the weather, and ignoring the failures of an agency overseen by a state who has been conservative for decades, though he can push his agenda.

Had we put the money into those plants instead of your fantasy wind, things might be different. There is only so much money to go around.
mrad85
AG
I keep looking at the ERCOT page as the day goes on. Cynical me thinks they using decreased demand (due to blackouts) to drive down capacity.

Prove me wrong
AgBQ-00
AG
Shanked Punt said:

Of course he is completely ignoring all of the NG and coal power plants that have succumbed due to the weather, and ignoring the failures of an agency overseen by a state government who has been conservative for decades, though he can push his agenda.

Get it through your thick skull...coal plants are mainly shutdown. The libtopia dream of unicorn powered windmills sucks dong and does not carry the load needed.
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
eric76
AG
Cassius said:

Shanked Punt said:

Of course he is completely ignoring all of the NG and coal power plants that have succumbed due to the weather, and ignoring the failures of an agency overseen by a state who has been conservative for decades, though he can push his agenda.

Had we put the money into those plants instead of your fantasy wind, things might be different. There is only so much money to go around.
Strictly speaking, it is not "we", but "individual investors" doing the investing. They should be free to invest in whatever they wish.

That said, for actual investors, it is probably not because of "being green" as it is about getting the tax credits.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Face cords or full? Bc that's a
Crap ton of wood for such a short time
gonemaroon
AG
No, you'd have to think with all the lives on the line that they were ALL HANDS on deck. Something like what they were dealing with was once in a life time before they even flubbed it up.
SquanchyAg
Shanked Punt said:

Aggie1944s Kid said:

User name at hotmail
Curious if you have gas or electric heat. I'm guessing taking out a house heated by natural gas would barely move the needle.

Well they took mine out and it's natural gas, so... along with all my neighbors.
sam callahan
I am interested in the psychological phenomenon of a poster who consistently post such wrongheaded thinking that constantly gets thoroughly rebutted and yet it does not seem to slow his posting or hubris in the slightest.
Shanked Punt
Cassius said:

Shanked Punt said:

If the plant owners aren't doing it on their own, its up to the state regulators to force them to do it. Of course that'll lead to higher prices, but so be it. You run something on the cheap, and sooner or later its going to come back and bite you in the ass.
buzzardb267
AG
Just talked to a daughter in The Colony and she has a fire station on one side of her and a police station on the other. She was told that if you are on their grid, you may not lose power at all. Have no idea if that is true, or even feasible. That seems to fly in the face of some that say their neighbor has power and they don't.
"ROGER - OUT"
Ginormus Ag
AG
This is bull***** We're at 20 minutes off 2 minutes on. We just got 20 seconds of power and then it went back off. In-laws 10 minutes away haven't lost power at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.