Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,265 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
gonemaroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Power will be out for hours - ERCOT almost blacked the mother ****er out -

They tripped over 7,000MW of generation by not preemptively cutting load.

Come 8AM there will be 20,000MW of load being shed by ERCOT.

I cannot believe what I witnessed when they knew it was coming they didn't cut load fast enough and now we have this.
VaultingChemist
AG
Local power outage lasted from 7pm to 12am. Thermostats were set at 65 degrees, which subsequently dropped to 55 degrees. Shortly after power was restored, main breaker tripped due to too many power strips being used (heat pumps don't work at these temperatures).
TRADUCTOR
gonemaroon said:

I cannot believe what I witnessed when they knew it was coming they didn't cut load fast enough and now we have this.

I watched Chernobyl, maybe I'll believe it. What did you witness?
gonemaroon
AG
15-20% of the grid may be without power for many hours and longer / ERCOT broke plants by mismanaging the load curtailments.

If you are without power do not expect it to come back today start making preparations for a long duration of being without power.
itsyourboypookie
Everyone on here needs to email Crenshaw. He needs to stump on this until the #greennewdeal is dead.

Can't believe I'm seeing the day Texas can't keep up with energy demand.
45-70Ag
AG
gonemaroon said:

Not entirely sure i understand this but ERCOT messed up?
gonemaroon
AG
In order to prevent cascading outages the #1 thing they teach you is the CUT LOAD / and whomever they had working tonight at ERCOT sat there and didn't cut load resulting in a damn near black out. Frequency went to 59.3 I didn't even know that was possible I understood under 59.7 that most power plants have auto trip features that shut them off so they don't tear the plants up.

Once it got to 59.3 he had to cut over 7000MW of load to catch up to the cascading plant trips he caused.

The grid knew they had to cut load, why they didn't cut 1000MW 10 minutes earlier and maintain the grid is beyond me. I would attach a frequency graph by mine cuts off at 59.8 because I've never seen it go lower that before.
45-70Ag
AG
Off again
Bingus
AG
Thanks Democrats
TRADUCTOR
Thanks for the info.

Thinking ERCOT management characters gambled and are in the control room now with Chernobyl style denial.
gonemaroon
AG
The red line is the total generation and black line the load.

Green and black lines are where load "should be" the forecasts. Y'all see generation trickling lower that was wind coming off line and once that occurred and generation got closer to load meaning they made no buffer you have to curtail load. ERCOT didn't and it cascaded.

come this morning with generation only being 55,000 and load supposed to be 75,000 there will be 20,000MW of customers without power.

This is a total failure by ERCOT.
YouBet
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Everyone on here needs to email Crenshaw. He needs to stump on this until the #greennewdeal is dead.

Can't believe I'm seeing the day Texas can't keep up with energy demand.

My guess is just like London was told that terrorism is part of big city life and to get used to it, we will be told that in the coming GND utopia having sporadic power is part of the sacrifice we will need to make to ensure optimal GND.
gonemaroon
AG
And the majority of the generation the grid operator tripped off line are older coal plants my assumption is that they are more sensitive to frequency degradations. So now it appears that NRG, CPS, LCRA and LS Power all lost coal plants in the middle of a gas emergency.
YouBet
AG
So there is no way to recover? We are just screwed?
gonemaroon
AG
YouBet said:

Correct / the only way to recover now is to pray these plants aren't broken. And just to be clear ERCOT was going to have to cut 5,000MW of load any way because they allowed Vistra notably, and others to take massive plant outages during winter. Darn near all month there has been 10,000MW in outage. ERCOT signs off on the outages. So now on top of at least 5,000MW having to be cut ERCOT is causing another 10,000 to have to be cut so from what I can tell is that 15,000-20,000MW of load have to be cut which is a huge %
TRADUCTOR
Interesting to get a peek at what's going on. Which parts of Texas will get hit the worst while this situation is corrected?
TommyBrady
AG
Martin Lake went down. Not sure of what damage yet but thats gonna be a huge hit.
muleshoe
AG
Power back on!

Off for about 8 hours.,.,
eric76
AG
YouBet said:

I've often thought that what we need to do is make our homes capable of handling losses of power.

There are a few things that can help:

Have an alternate source of heat for the winter time. This could be several choices. How about a heat pump with natural gas as a backup? Or firewood in wood burning stoves? (Chimneys seem to waste lots of energy.)

One possible choice for heat would be heating oil. Heating oil supposedly holds its energy a long time. I've read that it can last about 8 to 10 years. We probably wouldn't need to keep more than enough to last a week or two.

Remember that to burn heating oil, you spray it into the burner and that requires electricity. And then you need fans to blow it through the duct work unless you use radiators instead. You could do this with an emergency generator or maybe with a few solar panels -- enough to run the heating oil furnace in the daytime and to charge batteries to run overnight.

Or you could wrap up to stay warm. When I was a kid, I loved sleeping with the window open in the middle of the winter. My bedroom wasn't heated anyway. With four or five blankets, I stayed plenty warm enough. I sure hated to get out of bed in the morning, though. We had no plumbing upstairs so I didn't have to worry about freezing pipes.

Just make sure you have enough electricity to heat for your pipes and run it around the clock to keep the pipes from freezing. Or if your pipes run in the basement, just make sure that you can shut the water off in the basement and drain the pipes. In most places, the basement should remain above freezing without any problem.
45-70Ag
AG
Does ERCOT really answer to anyone
gonemaroon
AG
I don't see Martin Lake having tripped where do you see that at? I use Genscape / traders use it to monitor plants but it's not 100% accurate.
gonemaroon
AG
45-70Ag said:

Does ERCOT really answer to anyone

No they do not / and they do not follow their own protocols it's like dealing with the mafia.
gonemaroon
AG
TRADUCTOR said:

Interesting to get a peek at what's going on. Which parts of Texas will get hit the worst while this situation is corrected?
No real way to answer this as the grid is integrated / at least that I can tell you. I am sure they have a method of picking areas.
Quito
AG
Power out in DeSoto, but just came back on.

74 year old Mom is there alone. She's not sure how long it was off.
TRADUCTOR
Great ideas to kneecap the poors.
AgRebel08
AG
Can you explain what you are saying?

What should they done to cut the load???

What do you mean broke the plants?
itsyourboypookie
eric76 said:

YouBet said:

I've often thought that what we need to do is make our homes capable of handling losses of power.

Have an alternate source of heat for the winter time. This could be several choices. How about a heat pump with natural gas as a backup? Or firewood in wood burning stoves? (Chimneys seem to waste lots of energy.)

One possible choice for heat would be heating oil. Heating oil supposedly holds its energy a long time. I've read that it can last about 8 to 10 years. We probably wouldn't need to keep more than enough to last a week or two.

Remember that to burn heating oil, you spray it into the burner and that requires electricity. And then you need fans to blow it through the duct work unless you use radiators instead. You could do this with an emergency generator or maybe with a few solar panels -- enough to run the heating oil furnace in the daytime and to charge batteries to run overnight.

Or you could wrap up to stay warm. When I was a kid, I loved sleeping with the window open in the middle of the winter. My bedroom wasn't heated anyway. With four or five blankets, I stayed plenty warm enough. I sure hated to get out of bed in the morning, though. We had no plumbing upstairs so I didn't have to worry about freezing pipes.

Just make sure you have enough electricity to heat for your pipes and run it around the clock to keep the pipes from freezing. Or if your pipes run in the basement, just make sure that you can shut the water off in the basement and drain the pipes. In most places, the basement should remain above freezing without any problem.

Lol wut.

The solution is nuclear and coal, cheap energy for all.

Not these rich people solutions.
Galborathelion
Power just died in hood county
gonemaroon
AG
Does anyone work for the press? This is beyond ridiculous this story needs to be told - people are likely to freeze to death over an error that didn't need to happen.
itsyourboypookie
gonemaroon said:

Does anyone work for the press? This is beyond ridiculous this story needs to be told - people are likely to freeze to death over an error that didn't need to happen.

Where's that chart found online?
eric76
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

eric76 said:

YouBet said:

Lol wut.

The solution is nuclear and coal, cheap energy for all.

Not these rich people solutions.
Even with nuclear and coal, power lines can go down. We've had ice storms around here in the last two or three years that required the power company to replace miles of power lines. Even bringing in multiple crews from other places, many places were down for a week or so. Even houses 1 to 2 miles out of town were down for days.

If the power lines go down, nuclear and coal aren't going to help you much.

And depending on what you do, those don't have to be all that expensive.
Comanche_Ag
AG
Been out over two hours...well house down to 29 degrees.
TRADUCTOR
gonemaroon said:

Depends how racist..

Step back for 24hrs, let this play out. The repercussions are obvious.
TommyBrady
AG
Got the alert at 1:07 but should be all up now. Frequency issue.

Btw they almost ****ed up again this morning on load. ERCOT is acting reckless
Rapier108
Current reserve capacity according to ERCOT is less than 900MW. Been dropping 200-300MW with each update.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.