*** SECRET INVASION *** (Disney+ MCU Series)

23,777 Views | 302 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Sea Speed said:

jokershady said:

I didn't think it was all that bad….I was hoping it would've ended on a dark tone and with the president basically declaring war on the skrulls I was satisfied with that….

That being said I wish they would've had that happen sooner (or something to that affect) and giving someone essentially EVERY POWER from the MCU is just ridiculous…..

The last thing the MCU needs is another overpowered super hero like captain marvel….except she's MORE powerful than captain marvel….

And of course can handily beat the only other person with all the powers she has who just happens to be a dude 2.5x her size.

Well when you have every super power in the world wrapped up in one package size kind of doesn't matter anymore.

And that's a massive problem. They keep getting supers that are more and more super. They have jumped the shark now with SuperEverythingSkrull

It was tongue in cheek.....sort of. But all things equal, which they should have been, he beats her 10 times out of 10. Also just perfect that they were immediately able to call up whatever power they wanted and were perfectly suited to use them in tandem with other new powers.

There was so much about this series that was just so bad but I overlooked it anyways, but man this episode took it to 11. What about a colonel asking an admiral if she took stupid pills that morning? Gmafb. Also I guess we know who is at the top of the victim totem pole over at marvel. Or maybe black guy gets a pass because he is really an undocumented immigrant.
Sea Speed
AG
redline248 said:

But the premise of Gravik was dumb to begin with. We never got a home so I am going to kill all the humans. Like, just stop.

Completely agree. His venom in the reactor room was so over the top.

Im pretty sure europe is getting the gravik treatment right now though. immigrants who show up there and expect handouts and refuse to assimilate are now trashing the various countries.
Saxsoon
AG
I actually liked the idea of people going full paranoid and gunning people down near the end. But should have happened by the third episode
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The more I've thought about that last episode, the more it ticks me off.

My immediate thought when they revealed that it was not Fury, but the tiny gal who's name I can't recall, was "of course they went there." Smacks either of extreme laziness or another Endgame-style girl power non-sense (and I say that ranking Endgame as one of the best movies I've ever watched).

So they've basically given this tiny little girl all of the Avengers' combined powers? What's the point of any future movies or series? Some big bad starts mucking things up, send in this child to handle it in a special effects laden moment that will take all of a minute. I mean, Captain Marvel as presented in the movies thus far seems rather overpowered, but now we have one who could take out CM as easily as she picks her own nose.

When Endgame was done, I recall thinking I'm done, there's no way they can keep this up. And while I rather enjoyed Wandavision, Hawkeye, and much of Loki, I've noted that I have no desire to rewatch any of the movies that have come since Endgame. I'd say I'm done with the MCU, but I know that won't be the case - I'll go see whatever the next movie is, I'll tune in to watch whatever the next series is, but my expectations have plummeted.
Whos Juan
AG
Also, shouldn't everyone the Skrulls kidnapped (actually, abducted since they're adults) be dead from radiation poisoning?
redline248
AG
TexasAggie_02
AG
Also, how long has Rhodes been a skrull? Human Rhodey was the only person in a hospital gown. Some people on reddit saying that means that he was replaced right after his injury in Civil War, which would mean that IW and Endgame Rhodey was a Skrull.

I hope that is not the case, but it would give a whole new meaning to Rhodey and Nebula's dialogue in Endgame.

Nebula: "I wasn't always like this"

Rhodey: "Me either. But we work with what we got, right?"

most people assumed Rhodey is talking about becoming paralyzed in Civil War and having to use prosthetics to walk, but he could be talking about being a Skrull and having to do his best to blend in.

rhutton125
AG
The more I think about this, the more it should have been Avengers: Secret Invasion (or Captain America: Secret Invasion, a la Civil War) to cap off phase 4. I know they wanted to give Avengers a rest, but it'd be a different type of stakes and with a little bit of seeding (like the post-credits in Far From Home and WandaVision) might be the natural culmination of phase 4.

You can basically follow the Civil War format:

Captain America (Sam Wilson), Ant-Man, Wasp, and War Machine are on a mission, tracking down some D-lister, or the head of some criminal organization. The bad guy dies in the process and is revealed to be a Skrull.
<Marvel Studios intro>
Rhodey contacts Captain Marvel. They begin to suspect that a rogue sect of Skrulls have infiltrated Earth for some nefarious purpose. Wasp suggests that they go to her father for help developing some kind of Skrull tracker. Hank Pym has been replaced by a Skrull. At some point you can have some kind of "someone in this room is a Skrull" paranoia, a la the Thing, and Ant-Man is revealed to be an imposter as well. You don't know who to trust.

Eventually they decide to recruit potential heroes that the Skrulls wouldn't know to replace. For example, Shang-Chi is an unknown, but Captain Marvel has met him. Ms. Marvel is a new hero that hasn't met anyone. Maybe there's a way to get Kate Bishop or She-Hulk involved. Maybe they go to Wakanda for Shuri's help but she's MIA. One of the aides we saw in Black Panther 2 was a skrull all along, and now M'Baku has been replaced. They may be trying to start a war between the U.S. and Wakanda so that skrulls can inherit the earth.

Meanwhile, Sam Wilson contacts Bucky (who is pretty off-the-grid and couldn't easily be captured by Skrulls), Bucky gets with Val, and they decide to implement the Thunderbolts program by recruiting former villains who have been imprisoned, because why would Skrulls replace someone in a maximum security prison? So this team would be Ghost, Zemo, Abomination, and Florence Pugh's Black Widow (another unknown that couldn't easily be captured).

This all culminates in an Act 2 battle at a German airport, where Skrull versions of the new Avengers (Cap, Wasp, Captain Marvel, War Machine, Shang-Chi, Ms. Marvel) fight the Thunderbolts (Bucky, Val, Zemo, Ghost, Abomination, Black Widow) until the actual version of the new Avengers shows up as well. Who is who, who is a skrull? Lean into that. Maybe Shang-Chi can easily chase down faux-Shang-Chi because the fake one doesn't know kung fu.

Anyway, finale takes place on the white house lawn, skrull imposter team vs. hero team, maybe Skrull President tries to order the nuclear strike, real President tries to stop it, maybe even good-imposter Talos President adds to the paranoia, what's going to happen, etc. And in the end Val kills the skrull leader in front of the whole world, launching her (and whatever nefarious agenda she may have) into prominence for Phase 5.

I don't know, I came up with that in 5 minutes. But you could do all that with a $212 million budget, and actually bring together Avengers new and old, and have a phase that actually means something with various Skrull teases and imposters throughout, rather than... whatever this is that we have now, which just drags things out, damages the brand, introduces characters who still haven't been seen again... etc. They need to start tying this **** together now before everyone jumps ship, including this massive MCU fan.
TexasAggie_02
AG
you could basically do the Winter Soldier plot, and replace HYDRA with Skrulls. There were some in-universe people salty about Sam becoming Capt. Maybe have a fake Cap committing crimes, Sam tracks him down to discover he is a Skrull, and that the Government has been compromised. So he goes underground with the next best person he trusts, black widow Bucky. They end up going to Nick Fury, who is revealed to be Talos, and now they don't know who to trust. Hell, you could have General Ross be the one assigned to track them down. General Ross then creates the Thunderbolts for the reasons you stated (low level characters that been off the radar). Talos comes to Sam and Bucky's aid, and they realize that the real Skrulls were the friends made along the way. Yada yada yada.....sam, bucky and the thunderbolts team up to defeat the rogue skrulls, and now the follow-up Thunderbolts movie just saved itself a lot of useless exposition, and can get right into the plot.
MBAR
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

My immediate thought when they revealed that it was not Fury, but the tiny gal who's name I can't recall, was "of course they went there." Smacks either of extreme laziness or another Endgame-style girl power non-sense (and I say that ranking Endgame as one of the best movies I've ever watched).

So they've basically given this tiny little girl all of the Avengers' combined powers? What's the point of any future movies or series? Some big bad starts mucking things up, send in this child to handle it in a special effects laden moment that will take all of a minute. I mean, Captain Marvel as presented in the movies thus far seems rather overpowered, but now we have one who could take out CM as easily as she picks her own nose.

When Endgame was done, I recall thinking I'm done, there's no way they can keep this up. And while I rather enjoyed Wandavision, Hawkeye, and much of Loki, I've noted that I have no desire to rewatch any of the movies that have come since Endgame. I'd say I'm done with the MCU, but I know that won't be the case - I'll go see whatever the next movie is, I'll tune in to watch whatever the next series is, but my expectations have plummeted.

This is such a weird take. The idea of giving anyone all those powers is bad, its not the giving them to a woman thats bad. I don't get why you guys have to do this with every time they make a woman powerful in the MCU.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MBAR said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

This is such a weird take. The idea of giving anyone all those powers is bad, its not the giving them to a woman thats bad. I don't get why you guys have to do this with every time they make a woman powerful in the MCU.
If you enjoyed that, more power to you. I don't give a crap if they give powers to a female character, but what they did in the last episode was essentially making that girl a god who could take out any foe thrown against her. What's the f'ing point of even telling your stories if you have this chick sitting out there who can derail any nefarious villainy with barely any effort required?
MBAR
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

MBAR said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

If you enjoyed that, more power to you. I don't give a crap if they give powers to a female character, but what they did in the last episode was essentially making that girl a god who could take out any foe thrown against her. What's the f'ing point of even telling your stories if you have this chick sitting out there who can derail any nefarious villainy with barely any effort required?
No I agree that ANYONE having powers like that is a HUGE issue in the MCU and just a ridiculously stupid story telling choice, but I would feel that way if they chose a 6'4" 250lb dude as well. It being a "tiny girl" doesn't even factor to me and I'm not sure why it should to anyone.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That take suggests that any of these characters are ridiculous - which in reality, they are. But these are comic book characters translated to the big screen, so I can take some amount of ridiculousness based on that alone.

But...

Steve Rogers - scrawny nothing who takes a serum which gives him incredible powers
Tony Stark - a mini-nuclear reactor embedded in his chest along with a mech-suit gives him incredible powers
Bruce Banner - a dose of some radiation gives him incredible powers along with awesome anger issues4
Thor - space god who lives a long time and has awesome powers
Carol Danvers - gets infused with power from the Tesseract and suddenly has incredible powers
Wanda Maximoff - is the result of a science experiment resulting in incredible powers

Then you have...
Clint Barton - no powers but good with arrows
Natasha Romanoff - no powers but a highly skilled assassin

Without the first list, you'd have no MCU.
jeffk
AG
Do some people think Giah was a teenager? I thought it was pretty clear she was supposed to be in her 30s.

Still think the show fumbled all the major points of the finale. The Giah as Fury fake out was clever, but they just used it to set up their Super Skrull CGI slugfest, so that was a whiff. Also no real resolution to the Skrulls needing a new home line. In fact, now there's even more reason for the peaceful Skrulls to hate the humans. And now we just recreated the Fury-Talos partnership with two new characters one of which is now the most powerful being in the universe? Talk about laying land mines for future MCU media.
rhutton125
AG
Yeah, I really doubt we ever see Gi'yah again. I can't imagine that it was a very fun experience for Emilia Clarke, looking like a strung-out college dropout for 6 episodes and then getting some CGI punches in. And I really doubt there is any audience demand for a continuation of these storylines. They'll have either not watched the show at all, or wanted to never see another Skrull again.

I'm very curious if there will even be Skrulls in The Marvels at all. The Kree seem to be involved, and Fury has a ship full of Skrulls (or used to? Maybe now they're all S.W.O.R.D. or something?), but otherwise it may be yesterday's plot point.

So Skrulls have worn out their welcome, and Multiverse has worn out its welcome as well IMO. Wouldn't mind never seeing either of those again, unless they're ready to actually commit to it in a satisfying way.
LeonardSkinner
Went from slow burn to straight up fizzle.
jokershady
AG
jeffk said:

Do some people think Giah was a teenager? I thought it was pretty clear she was supposed to be in her 30s.

Still think the show fumbled all the major points of the finale. The Giah as Fury fake out was clever, but they just used it to set up their Super Skrull CGI slugfest, so that was a whiff. Also no real resolution to the Skrulls needing a new home line. In fact, now there's even more reason for the peaceful Skrulls to hate the humans. And now we just recreated the Fury-Talos partnership with two new characters one of which is now the most powerful being in the universe? Talk about laying land mines for future MCU media.
right here!!!!

I had no idea who that actress was and just thought she was a teenager or at the most in her early 20s…..then I looked her up and did a massive face palm…..
jeffk
AG
Also she was a kid in the Captain Marvel movie.
W
AG
just watched the series finale...

they wrapped everything up in just over 30 minutes. And set up Fury for the Marvels.

as others have said...the CGI fight was very rough.

my favorite thing about the series may have been the theme music.

the show was not bad, but it didn't have the emotional impact (or make the viewer care about the characters) like the other MCU series.

my top 4 are still:

1. Wandavision
2. Hawkeye
3. Moon Knight
4. Ms. Marvel

and would only rank Secret Invasion ahead of She-Hulk
jokershady
AG
Wow where does Loki rank?
redline248
AG
Loki
WandaVision
Hawkeye
Ms Marvel
What If
Moon Knight
She-Hulk
Falcon/Winter Soldier
Secret Invasion.
Sea Speed
AG
Agreed the theme song was awesome.
C@LAg
Does it read to anyone else as... we were making up **** as we went along?

https://www.insider.com/marvel-secret-invasion-season-finale-breakdown-ali-selim-interview-2023-7

What was your experience like for Secret Invasion? How closely did it follow all the scripts and how much room was there for improvisation or adjustments?"

Selim responded, "I don't wanna play semantic games, but I think of it as an evolution. As you hunt down story, everything is constantly evolving. And it's a fascinating process."

He went on to elaborate, "I guess there are moments of improv, like between Sam and Don, between Sam and Ben. There are really rich moments of improv. There are actors who rely more on the script."

Next, Selim appeared to reveal that the later episodes and the entire story of the series was being put together as they released the first episode,

"And I think as we are editing, we're still finding the story. We were finding the story on episode six up until episode one had already aired."

He added, "That's part of the beauty of it, is that Marvel just keeps hunting it down and using the resources they have to come up with the best story possible, and that quest never ends."
rhutton125
AG
I'm going to have to revisit She-Hulk because SI is the exact thing it was spoofing. Marvel made fun of its generic finales and then just did it again, in the worst way.
LeonardSkinner
For me, for Secret Invasion to become something that was worth watching, they'll have to basically make The Marvels episode seven of the series.

Which isn't fair for that movie, or for people who don't watch the Disney shows.
Ornithopter
AG
That's been the problematic part of some of these Marvel shows. Rather than be a side quest that uses the time for character development, they have introduced MCU changing level events.

Secret Invasion should have been a movie that was the culmination of a few stingers showing a couple characters as Skrulls.
MBAR
AG
DubFalls said:

That's been the problematic part of some of these Marvel shows. Rather than be a side quest that uses the time for character development, they have introduced MCU changing level events.

Secret Invasion should have been a movie that was the culmination of a few stingers showing a couple characters as Skrulls.

I'm torn because I want to agree with your first part, but the stakes for Loki were huge and that probably is the best series to date. But I think shows like Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel worked so well at a much smaller street level.

I think the mistake here is ultimately not understanding what people care about with these characters. Like who amongst the fans was clamoring to know about Fury's love life?
Saxsoon
AG
I liked everything involving his wife actually
jeffk
AG
Same.
jeffk
AG
I hope that Marvel doubles down here and releases a sequel series called "Unsecret Invasion."
W
AG
Loki is #5 on my list

episodes 4 & 5 were great and built momentum toward the finale, but then the last episode flopped with the introduction of Kang. Loki was almost an afterthought in his own series finale

F&WS is #6

by the end of the series, Zemo and the U.S. Agent were my favorites -- that wasn't supposed to happen
W
AG
I haven't watched any trailers for the Marvels...

my first thought is that Ms. Marvel may have to carry the film. She has the most (or the only) fun and likeable personality

we will see
MBAR
AG
Saxsoon said:

I liked everything involving his wife actually
To each their own, but for me that was the worst part of this series which is saying something.
rhutton125
AG
I think the main thing was that there just wasn't really room for it. You only have about 3.5 hours to work with, across six episodes, and her scenes with Fury don't really contribute to any of the major plot lines. At least not once she refuses to kill Fury.

Side note… I feel like they really misunderstand the threat of the Skrulls. A Skrull can impersonate the President, order a nuclear strike, and walk away in somebody else's skin and you'd never know. Instead we have them staying in the same human skin (to the point where MI6 can track down Gi'yah) or getting close to the President and trying to influence him toward war.

It's like they've handicapped the threat to make it fair, but in doing so it makes everyone look less competent.
bearamedic99
AG
Questions about the final fight because I'm having a brain fart, whose powers were being used when

(a) one of them turned their arm into a sword (it looked more like ice than something of Groot) ? It looked like the villain from T2.

And

(b) when she turned invisible? Loki?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.