*** SECRET INVASION *** (Disney+ MCU Series)

23,725 Views | 302 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whos Juan said:

jeffk said:

Can the cinematography complaint be attributed to the all-urban setting? Personally, it's tough to get wowed by Moscow alleyways and safe houses.
It felt like they were trying to mimic the Russo Bros style from Winter Soldier with Costco off-brand cinematographers.
"We have the Russo Brothers at home."

The Russo Brothers at home:
91_Aggie
AG
For some reason, I just really hate the "shapeshifter trope".
You never know if they are dealing with an enemy or not, and the writers have easy-outs for dramatic purposes and plot purposes where the watcher doesn't know who is really who.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
91_Aggie said:

For some reason, I just really hate the "shapeshifter trope".
You never know if they are dealing with an enemy or not, and the writers have easy-outs for dramatic purposes and plot purposes where the watcher doesn't know who is really who.

Yes, but I think it's pretty relevant with all the AI deepfake stuff going on right now.
redline248
AG
Ok, can we post without spoiler tags, yet?
imjustsayin
AG
redline248 said:

Ok, can we post without spoiler tags, yet?
I vote YESS... and let this response be the final warning for everyone...

SPOILERS BE BEYOND THIS POST!

BE YE WARNED.

There.
redline248
AG
So, what do we think happens to the humans that are getting trapped and identities stolen? Any chance we find Agent Ross being held captive in one of these nuclear sites?
double aught
AG
Sea Speed said:

Welp, coby smoulders is dead. There goes my reason for watching.
I've always found her underwhelming in every way. Won't be missed.
Sea Speed
AG
double aught said:

Sea Speed said:

I've got a thing for middle aged brunettes that look like they could be your neighbors wife.
TCTTS
AG
Ironically enough, she literally *was* my neighbor's girlfriend, now wife. Way back in the early How I Met Your Mother Days. I lived five feet from Taran Killam, her then boyfriend/now husband, and Mikey Day, before either Taran or Mikey got famous. I used to see her all the time and she was super friendly. We didn't have air conditioning and would leave the windows open, so whenever we would watch HIMYM I'd always get nervous that they could hear us, like some kind of weirdo fanboy neighbors. But then I'd have to shut the windows when Taran would loudly practice his voices/impressions on the porch. Was crazy when they all blew up.
Madmarttigan
AG
I liked it but I have no recollection or knowledge on who any of these skrulls are. I don't remember anything from captain marvel.
Formerly tv1113
redline248
AG
Talos was the only one you should remember, and I think he spent most of the time in skull form. Emilia Clarke's character was a little girl, so obviously a new actor. I don't think any of these other characters were in Captain Marvel.
jeffk
AG
The old black angry dude is Nick Fury. He wears an eyepatch sometimes.
double aught
AG
Sea Speed said:

double aught said:

Sea Speed said:

I've got a thing for middle aged brunettes that look like they could be your neighbors wife.
Ok. I guess I could get on board with this.

But when she's positioned as some ultimate dream girl that every successful twenty something male Manhattanite should strive for, then I start having doubts.
jokershady
AG
Thought that was a great first episode! They so easily could have dragged things out but they jumped right in to it all.

We knew from the start the girl would be Talos' daughter and so happy they allowed the characters to get there in this first episode.

We don't see the bad guy just say bad guy things and stand in the shadows….this dude got his hands dirty quick and wrecked shop at the end and killed a named character.

Good pacing and while there wasn't much action I understand why. And ended on a solid cliffhanger and definitely a little bit of a sad note that Allen died thinking it was actually Fury who betrayed her.

They nailed this first episode!
TCTTS
AG
Trying to piece everything together, just so I have all of this straight heading into the rest of the season...

- The Skrulls lost their home planet to the Kree.

- A group of displaced Skrulls, led by Ben Mendelsohn, then somehow ended up on Earth in mid-'90s.

- At some point during Captain Marvel, Fury made a promise to help the Skrulls find a new home planet (I have zero recollection of this).

- Now, 30 years later, a faction of the next generation of Skrull refugees are apparently pissed off at Fury for abandoning them/not helping them find a new planet? And so their goal is to start WWIII, then, in the chaos, take over Earth/make Earth their new home planet? Is that the basic gist?

If so, I guess what I don't understand is why the Skrulls are dependent on Fury, of all people, to help them find a new planet? And why have they waited 30 YEARS for him to do so? Wouldn't they have bailed on him after, like, three years of not following through? And then tried to seek the help of more capable experts in that regard? Aren't they an advanced technological race themselves? So why can't *they* do the search? Or, rather, what can Fury do that they can't?

It just seems like such a flimsy premise to hang the entire series on that I feel like I have to be missing something.
jeffk
AG
I think it was initially a relatively small group of refugees with no advanced technology (except their enormous cloaked spaceship which I think was disabled?) and Fury was going to use SHIELD resources to help relocate them.

So now they've turned to crime/terrorism but it's notable that they're still pretty low-tech and low-budget. I see the flimsiness you're seeing but it's not out of the ordinary for the genre.
jokershady
AG
Meh….not as flimsy as a college chick building her version of Tony Starks iron man suit in a week from scratch and knowing how to pilot it perfectly….

I'm good with this.

I do vaguely remember there being something about Fury using SHIELD to help the Skrulls as well.
TCTTS
AG
jeffk said:

I think it was initially a relatively small group of refugees with no advanced technology (except their enormous cloaked spaceship which I think was disabled?) and Fury was going to use SHIELD resources to help relocate them.

So now they've turned to crime/terrorism but it's notable that they're still pretty low-tech and low-budget. I see the flimsiness you're seeing but it's not out of the ordinary for the genre.

I guess I can buy that. I still think it's weird that the Skrull refugees didn't try to take matters into their own hands way sooner - 30 years is an insanely long time to wait around on one dude to fix your problems - but whatever.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something big. Thanks.
johncAG
AG
It also seems like they are using the Blip as a mechanism for speeding up the cause due to seeing what happened when heroes disappeared for 5 years. All this instability worldwide is great for a new cause
W
AG
just watched the first episode. It was good. Took a little while to understand the plot.

will be guessing throughout the series who is or isn't a Skrull. The ending was a surprise.

Samuel L. Jackson is in his 70's in real life, so Nick Fury should be slowing down some on the screen.

great to see Emilia Clarke. She's going to be the star of the series
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

jeffk said:

I guess I can buy that. I still think it's weird that the Skrull refugees didn't try to take matters into their own hands way sooner - 30 years is an insanely long time to wait around on one dude to fix your problems - but whatever.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something big. Thanks.
I think in actuality it was the Skrulls waiting on SHIELD to find them a new home and Fury was just the figure head….course it didn't really come out that way in this first episode would've made a little more sense if they had blamed SHIELD as a whole instead of just Fury
jokershady
AG
Hold on a sec! Emilia Clark is playing G'iah???? She's supposed to be 36 years old and she looks like a teenager…..what the heck am I missing something?????
jeffk
AG
She literally is 36 years old.
XXXVII
That was such a boring first episode. Now, admittedly I had a few drinks, but I was dozing off during this episode.
TCTTS
AG
I was sober as can be and felt the exact same way.
TCTTS
AG
Ornithopter
AG
Clearly we have all been rushing to watch this and immediately post about it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

I honestly forgot about the new episode, but I thought the last episode was a solid B+, which puts as one of the better marvel premieres on D+
AgfromHOU
AG
Underwhelming episode. Surely Rhoadey is a Skrull, right? The definitely went for shock value with the council.
Saxsoon
AG
If Slovakia rolls her eyes one more time I am going to put on the suit and carpet bomb it
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
AgsMnn
AG
I do not like the Skrulls ability to change. I never know who is who. And the whole thing at the end, are they aware?
jeffk
AG
Man, we came so close to getting Fury saying "This invasion. It's secret!"
Saxsoon
AG
I think he knows. The comment about knowing what a good looking skrull is is very telling
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
jeffk
AG
So on the computer, she was looking up the scientist skrull and they had Groot, frost beast, and cull obsidian listed. Are these all species they are genome mapping or what?
imjustsayin
AG
Don Cheadle is a fantastic actor… great performance!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.