*** SECRET INVASION *** (Disney+ MCU Series)

23,770 Views | 302 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Thread-wise, this has to be the least engagement a Marvel Disney+ show has received, yeah? Even less than Ms. Marvel, it feels like. Personally, I don't find the show bad, I just find it kind of sleepy and boring. Which is maybe worse than being bad?
pretty sure She-Hulk had less engagement….
jokershady
AG
Curious to hear where y'all think this show measures up together other MCU shows…..it's not over yet but I'd say this is definitely up there.

Only 2 episodes left so they need to bring it home.
redline248
AG
Ok, so after this recent battle is over and the humans start seeing dead aliens all over the place...and the realize Rhodey didn't War Machine those mf'ers down immediately...wouldn't the gig be up for that particular Skrull?

Man, the extremis stuff was bad in Agents of Shield, and was part of why IM3 is my least favorite...and now we have an un-killable Skrull with Groot power. By the way, if no one managed to see that...

I was going to finish that last thought by saying "if they still think it's Russians after he went Groot," but then it dawned on me that Gravik must have expected to kill or kidnap the president without any of his soldiers dying, b/c they turn back into aliens when they die! How would anyone believe it was Russians when dead alien bodies are lying around?!!!

Son of a b-tch! I want to like this. I can't even be bothered to care about Fury and his psuedo wife, either.
Mathguy64
AG
How in the world do you kill a shape shifting Groot with Extremis? Besides calling Captain Marvel to come save the day?

And the odds of real Rhoadie killing Skrull Rhoadie have to be high.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Maybe they can get him to blow up like the extremis ppl in iron man 3. I know by the time of agents of shield, extremis was fixed so they didn't blow up, but maybe there's a way to induce that? Maybe he can still drown? Who knows.
MASAXET
AG
Gotta say that I'm enjoying this show so far. And my wife is too, which is an even higher compliment.
AgsMnn
AG
I really enjoyed the table discussion with Fury and his wife.

Thought it was old Fury coming back.
imjustsayin
AG
I loved this episode. It felt very tense and I was quite invested in the outcome. I was sad and frustrated and yes Gravik is looking to be quite the villain.
jeffk
AG
Great episode.
jeffk
AG
jokershady said:

TCTTS said:

Thread-wise, this has to be the least engagement a Marvel Disney+ show has received, yeah? Even less than Ms. Marvel, it feels like. Personally, I don't find the show bad, I just find it kind of sleepy and boring. Which is maybe worse than being bad?
pretty sure She-Hulk had less engagement….

That one went 19 pages.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, with only two episodes left, unless Tony Stark or Jim Caviezel shows up, there's no way this one hits that.
jeffk
AG
I can't decide if they're having Don play Roadie differently than the film version on purpose or if it's happening on accident. I'm leaning towards it being a purposeful break to emphasize the Skrullness.
C@LAg
Skroadie can only replicate the appearance of Roadie, and maybe their most recent memories. Not the personality or long-term memories.

C@LAg
TCTTS said:

Yeah, with only two episodes left, unless Tony Stark or Jim Caviezel shows up, there's no way this one hits that.
even on the marvelstudios subreddit, where you get downvoted to oblivion if you have valid criticisms of any marvel property, you barely get any downvotes with criticism of SI
jeffk
AG
So they hate it or no one is watching?
C@LAg
jeffk said:

So they hate it or no one is watching?
more people are just "meh" about it.

but apparently rating sfor it suck as well.
C@LAg
mutant reference:

on wall in Fury house.

Decoding the Superhuman Gene"

W
AG
just watched episode 4...

G'iah is alive -- good

this episode was very slow until the gun battle at the end

best thing was Talos slipping into his skrull form as his wounds took their toll.

Cheadle was great. The subplots with Fury's wife are not hitting -- a bit boring
W
AG
as far as comparisons to the other Marvel Disney+ series...

Secret Invasion is going to be in the bottom half -- possibly bottom quarter

WandaVision, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Loki, etc.., had awesome episode fours -- that took the series to the next level. Just great stuff.

Secret Invasion is not there yet with 2 episodes to go
kerrag06
AG
Well…. For a differing opinion. I personally think this is by far the only Disney Plus show that has felt closer to Avengers level quality and importance. And most of my friends seem to agree. Aka- we love it!! The connection to Iron Man 3 and now Groot- give me more of that! You guys have lost it!!! Haha only kidding…. Slightly!
kerrag06
AG
Only complaint- that was one incredibly short episode! But I think the events in the episode make that a bit more explainable. Reminds me of a Marvel movie having no end credits. It wasn't necessary.
jeffk
AG
W said:

The subplots with Fury's wife are not hitting -- a bit boring

I disagree. Those parts don't drag for me and I think it's cool to see that Fury did let his guard down some times. Also, her scientific work (screenshot from Cola earlier) helped lay the groundwork for what the Skrulls are doing now apparently. No idea what happens with her these last two episodes. Maybe she tries to escape and the baddies kill her or capture her?
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

Miss marvel was easily a better show. This is not good. I will see it out and I don't want to just come in here and **** on it but this is so awfully written.
jeffk
AG
Neither was perfect, but I'm enjoying both for different reasons. I'm hoping the payoff for this one will be worthwhile.
cav14
redline248 said:

I was going to finish that last thought by saying "if they still think it's Russians after he went Groot," but then it dawned on me that Gravik must have expected to kill or kidnap the president without any of his soldiers dying, b/c they turn back into aliens when they die! How would anyone believe it was Russians when dead alien bodies are lying around?!!

You're probably right that Gravik expected to have no casualties that would reveal that it was Skrulls and not the Russians, but now it's revealed that Skrulls were and have been behind these attacks all along, the public (or at least definitely the US government) will start to have a "Green Scare" towards any US citizens who they expect to be Communist, I mean an alien Skrull.
An L of an Ag
AG
Finished episode 4 last night. It really did kick into another gear, and so far the storyline and characters are compelling enough to keep this interesting.

Not sure where I'd rank this in the Disney+ series. Certainly already above She Hulk (which, admittedly,I didn't finish watching), and the final couple of episodes have the chance to push this one into the top half, if done well.
C@LAg
Disney Shells Out $212 Million On Marvel's 'Secret Invasion' (forbes.com)

Disney Shells Out $212 Million On Marvel's 'Secret Invasion'

Budgets of streaming shows are usually confidential as studios combine the cost of them in their overall expenses and don't itemize how much they spent on each one.

Shows made in the UK are an exception. They benefit from the government's Television Tax Relief scheme which allows studios to claim a cash reimbursement of up to 25% of the money they spend in the country.

The financial statements reveal that in just over two years to the end of September 2022, Disney spent $211.6 million (166.2 million) on making Secret Invasion. It is more than double the production cost of the first season of The Witcher, 20% more than its second season and even 20% more than the cost of 2011's big screen blockbuster Captain America.
jeffk
AG
Ooooof.

That'll put some context on Iger's comments this past week.
Madmarttigan
AG
Wasn't she-hulk shockingly over 200 million too?
Formerly tv1113
jokershady
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Wasn't she-hulk shockingly over 200 million too?
Given the fact that every episode had a bunch of CGI in it (not saying it was good CGI) the cost wouldn't surprise me for either show.

Secret Invasion so far hasn't had as much CGI as She Hulk but what we have seen with the shape shifting has been WAY BETTER than anything we got in she hulk along with the character make up. And the overall sets and locations seem to be better than She Hulk.

Pretty much remember most of that show taking place in either a bar, a courtroom, an office, or she hulks house.
Madmarttigan
AG
But this seems insane that these shows all cost twice what the final season GoT did, how is that possible?
Formerly tv1113
redline248
AG
Madmarttigan said:

But this seems insane that these shows all cost twice what the final season GoT did, how is that possible?
Unless you consider it to be a "movie" of sorts.
kerrag06
AG
The comparison in price between She-Hulk and Secret Invasion makes perfect sense. But I agree, the GoT one is a small head scratcher. Then again, my knowledge of how much a CGI Dragon costs is zero. Secret Invasion is the first series that felt like an actual movie. Heck I think they could've done with out She Hulk, Wandavision and Ghost whatever. Excited for Loki 2!
jokershady
AG
Won't be able to watch for a few days but here's a trailer for the last 2 episodes.

johncAG
AG
So, who we getting for the Finale for the Fury team up?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.