Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

46,054 Views | 534 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Hey...so.. um
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never played the game but got sucked in. Ready for Season 2!
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I'm a little surprised Lucy doesn't recognize The Ghoul at some point. In episode 1, we see Lucy and her dad watching a western, and later find out that Hank was a huge fan of Cooper Howard. I'm guessing they were watching one of his movies, or probably watched quite a few of them when Lucy was growing up.
javajaws
AG
Watched the first four episodes last night and this is great, better than I expected. Everything is just so well done.

Can everybody who did this take over that wheel of time garbage please?
jeffk
AG
I love how all the end credit sequences are the main backdrops of the next episode.
bluefire579
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Might not be thinking of everything Amazon has done but initial reaction is it is one of their best productions they've ever done.

I also liked this better than the Last of Us. Sue me.
I think Boys and Invincible are the only two shows they've done before this one that I'd go out of my way to recommend to people.

I feel like a lot of their other shows that I've watched (or tried watching) have a cheaper production value, or at least give off that sense. I would venture that it helps having someone running things (Jonathan Nolan) who has worked closely with one of the top filmmakers of our time and who has also run a hugely popular, well produced show on his own rights.
jeffk
AG
Bosch is another one I've really enjoyed.
LB12Diamond
AG
Absentia was pretty good
Quad Dog
AG
Watching this really makes me want to play Fallout. I've only played Fallout 3. I did beat it, but to be honest didn't enjoy it a ton. I felt like I was managing inventory and repairing weapons more than playing the game. I liked the vibe and story way more than the game play. Did 4 or New Vegas improve upon that game style? I didn't think they did because that seems to be a part of all Bethesda games.
DallasTeleAg
I don't remember repairing being something in New Vegas, but it definitely isn't in FO4.

However, inventory management is always a thing in Fallout. You are literally exploring the wasteland and finding crap. In FO4, they introduced a crafting system, so you have pick up certain items and such to use the various materials to craft your weapons and other things in your base, if you want to interact with those two mechanics.

The way I usually like to play FO4 is that I only use what I find. I don't go down the various crafting perk trees. If I want a cool plasma sniper rifle with the correct butt stock and scope, I have to go explore, kill raiders, and find those parts. This keeps me from investing points in those perks and worrying about finding specific materials to craft with. It also gives me a better power creep throughout the game, so I don't grab my first combat rifle, spend all my perks in crafting, and make that thing the most powerful weapon in the game.

However, you should always be picking up any adhesives you find in the wasteland. Those are invaluable crafting items you will probably need.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
There's a lot of the game that is the same in FO4 and NV. Managing inventory and perks and skills. It's an RPG, after all. A lot of that you can get away with and still enjoy the game - ie upgrading weapons and swapping parts in FO4. Personally, I liked managing weapons, but hated managing based in FO4, but the game doesn't make you do either one.

IMO The thing that immediately made them better and more playable was the introduction of iron sights in NV. It added the FPS feel that made it a lot easier to just enjoy the game and stop managing VATS so much. FO4 just refined this mechanic even more.
Vince Blake
Finished the season. That was fantastic. That was Fallout. That is how you take a beloved IP and not only stay faithful but expand upon it. And I am happy to hear others who have not played the games are enjoying it as well. Should mean we'll get more seasons and more games. Hopefully a NV sequel or at the very least a remaster.
the_batman26
AG
Halfway through…it's just kinda okay. A sold 6.5-7 out of 10. It nails the look and feel of the games, but the script sounds off at times. I can tell Amazon wanted this to be played really safe.
ABATTBQ11
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

I'm a little surprised Lucy doesn't recognize The Ghoul at some point. In episode 1, we see Lucy and her dad watching a western, and later find out that Hank was a huge fan of Cooper Howard. I'm guessing they were watching one of his movies, or probably watched quite a few of them when Lucy was growing up.

Well, he WAS missing his nose and would have been 200 years old. That's like not recognizing George Washington on the street after a facelift.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Might not be thinking of everything Amazon has done but initial reaction is it is one of their best productions they've ever done.

I also liked this better than the Last of Us. Sue me.

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was really good, but yeah this is probably the best I've seen from them. Absolutely blows RoP out of the water. I also think Paramount could learn a lesson here based on all of the Fallout players' reactions.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Vince Blake said:

Finished the season. That was fantastic. That was Fallout. That is how you take a beloved IP and not only stay faithful but expand upon it. And I am happy to hear others who have not played the games are enjoying it as well. Should mean we'll get more seasons and more games. Hopefully a NV sequel or at the very least a remaster.

Imagine a NV remaster with all the planned and cut content restored…

No, no. Don't get my hopes up
Thanks and gig'em
Aggie_Journalist
AG
New Vegas also has repairing weapons, but I bet you can find a mod to remove that aspect of the game.
Thanks and gig'em
Sq1dvm
AG
Loved the show. I played and beat a Fallout years ago, I remember it had VATS and was before New Vegas, so that was 4? Started New Vegas, but my kids were little then so long gaming sessions were not an option.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
They've all had VATS, but you're probably talking about FO3
Max Power
AG
This show is great. Best analogy I can think of would be if you crossed Silo and Deadpool. I'm shocked this is being produced by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy given how much of a beatdown Westworld was, especially at the end. This show is way too fun to feel like it was done by them.
Quad Dog
AG
In hindset Fallout makes a great TV show idea. Great setting. Give the characters a MacGuffin. Each episode can basically be a vignette that loosely ties into the main story. Random other characters can pop in and out. Each season could be a different vault, timeline, location, and characters completely.
91_Aggie
AG
I enjoyed the series (other than leads buggy eyes). I had recently started a new run in Fallout 4. So got refamiliarized with the world. And even though I said I would try something besides sneaky sniper, 12 hours later I was a sneaky sniper.

Thought the series was true to the game and the world and entertaining
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
We just finished this. Loved it from start to finish.
I loved it as a fallout gamer and fan, and my wife who had no knowledge of the fallout universe before this show loved it too.

This was phenomenal. Comparing it to Last of Us, no single episode from Fallout S1 was as good as the Bill episode from Last of Us, but imo it overall was a better production than Last of Us across the entire season.

I can't wait for S2. Damn. That was awesome

I cannot get enough of Walton Goggins, either. He is a phenomenal actor in everything he's in. He does drama just as well as his more comedic roles
DallasTeleAg
To each their own. I think her eyes are her best feature.
DallasTeleAg
I just have to state again how freaking happy I am they didn't infect this show with so much of the crap we see in other shows/movies, especially when it came to the character of Lucy. Been going back and watching some episodes again, and other scenes, and constantly just being grateful they gave us a great female character who actually makes mistakes, is not great at everything, and has to learn how to survive.
Average Joe
AG
Finally finished.

Wow, that last episode. I've played through all of the FO games, and for them to drop that... speechless.

Overall, I thought the season was a homerun. It wasn't over the top with fan service. Story was great. They did a fantastic job showing that the wasteland lives in the grey area. The actress playing Lucy did an amazing job being a naive vault dweller. Goggins was nails. I can't say I had many complaints.

I think my only complaint would be that we didn't see many wasteland creatures. Mole rats, mirelurks, mongrels, bloatflies, and really surprised no Deathclaws (except the skull at the end) or Super Mutants (although they were name dropped at one point, I think). Hopefully those get some screen time next season.
Average Joe
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I just have to state again how freaking happy I am they didn't infect this show with so much of the crap we see in other shows/movies, especially when it came to the character of Lucy. Been going back and watching some episodes again, and other scenes, and constantly just being grateful they gave us a great female character who actually makes mistakes, is not great at everything, and has to learn how to survive.
She did an amazing job. The writers did well to make her naive without being an idiot.
DallasTeleAg
I think we saw the arm of a super mutant in episode 2.

I was thinking the same thing about the various creatures, but I'm thinking that comes down to budget for the CG. I would bet we get so much more in Season 2 based on the reception of Season 1. They have to get a bigger budget.
Bockaneer
AG
Never played Fallout but watched the season this weekend after seeing this thread - enjoyable.
AgLaw
AG
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Unless it's comically violent like The Boys and really captures the grit, gore and humor of the games, I think it'll fall short of peoples expectations who have played the games.

Nailed it. I'm three episodes in, and the grit, gore and humor are all there.
BQwolf05
AG
91_Aggie said:

I enjoyed the series (other than leads buggy eyes). I had recently started a new run in Fallout 4. So got refamiliarized with the world. And even though I said I would try something besides sneaky sniper, 12 hours later I was a sneaky sniper.

Thought the series was true to the game and the world and entertaining
This is always my problem. I have been thinking of booting it back up playing a Brawler/big gun type to actually use the power armor but just know I will resort to the sneaky sniper....
SoTxAg
AG
Through ep. 5. Have been limiting myself to one episode a night to make it last. Wife is enjoying it too. Half-life and Fallout were my late night distractions when the kids were young. Would play after putting them down for bed, which of course made for some very late nights now and then.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I started up another New Vegas run after the show.

A brunette female who attempts to diplomatically resolve most situations with Raul the gunslingin' ghoul as my companion.

I'm basically playing Fallout Season 2 right now.
Thanks and gig'em
DallasTeleAg
Spoilers!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Oops! Thanks.
Thanks and gig'em
BQwolf05
AG
LOL that is great. NV is one of the few I have actually completed. 1 & 2 played when a teen never finished, 3 & 4 never fully finished either....get so caught up in side quests take way to long to beat the game, then some other game comes along so I move to that....then wash rinse repeat...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.