Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

31,585 Views | 400 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by thegoodolag15
An L of an Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And before he was ANY of those, he was Shane Vendrell from The Shield.
StinkyPinky
AG
NukeAg10 said:

Counterpoint said:

StinkyPinky said:

NukeAg10 said:

Haven't read anything bc of spoilers, but I just started this today. Walton Goggins is the ****ing man. I'm excited to keep watching.

Eta just watched episode 1.
He's hit his stride. Righteous Gemstones took his career to another level.

Any other Gemstones fans distracted by the ghoul's Baby Billy voice?

It's not the baby billy voice, it's the Boyd Crowder voice. He's ****ing awesome in all of the above.

I actually hear a little more Lee Russell.
JD Shellnut
AG
First time I saw Goggins was in a very underrated movie called The Apostle with Robert Duvall.
Sazerac
AG
Don't know a thing about the games.
Enjoying this series.

Do we ever learn what's happened in the rest of the country / planet?
Claude!
Sazerac said:

Don't know a thing about the games.
Enjoying this series.

Do we ever learn what's happened in the rest of the country / planet?
The games have been set in various areas across the country (California, Nevada, DC, Boston, and West Virginia, primarily), and there have been references to other areas of the country as well. Beyond that, not a lot is known about the rest of the world post-apocalypse. Kind of makes sense, given the retro-Americana vibe of the setting.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Let's see… we don't know much else about the world after the nukes, but from the lore of the games, we do know…
- The U.S. and China were engaged in an ongoing war before the bombs fell with fighting in Alaska
- There had been other works elsewhere as countries competed for dwindling resources
- Europe unified and then broke up before the war
- Mexico City was nuked
- There had been a global plague of some sort
Thanks and gig'em
Sazerac
AG
Any timelines that explain things?

Seems bombs fell in early 60s, there was fighting in Alaska before that.

Vault dwellers thing they have been underground for 200+ years. The knight says bombs fell in his lifetime. So was this a 2nd war?

Maybe I should just Google this, must be some background wiki or something.
n_touch
Sazerac said:

Vault dwellers thing they have been underground for 200+ years. The knight says bombs fell in his lifetime. So was this a 2nd war?

Aggie_Journalist
AG
I think the bombs fell in 2077. Yup. Not sure if this is a world where 50's style never ended or if it just became popular again, but that's when it all went boom.

So, timeline…
2077 - bombs fall
2102 - Fallout 76 (newest game, set in WV I think)
2161 - Fallout 1, set in Southern California
2197 - Fallout Tactics, set in middle of the country I think
2242 - Fallout 2, set in Northern & central California + some Nevada
2277 - Fallout 3, set around DC
2281 - New Vegas, set around Vegas in the Mojave
2287 - Fallout 4, set around Boston
2296 - Fallout TV show, set in Southern California around LA
Thanks and gig'em
NukeAg10
AG
An L of an Ag said:

And before he was ANY of those, he was Shane Vendrell from The Shield.

Damn straight.
DallasTeleAg
Sazerac said:

Fallout is all about the aesthetic. Think of a world where the microchip was never invented. In this alternate reality, mankind chose to harness atomic power for just about everything, including cars. Society never really moved on from the '50s style.

Bombs dropped in 2077, after a big war with China and defending an invasion of Alaska had been thwarted.

It's important to understand, Fallout is highly stylized and very dark but whimsical, at the same time. No one should ever consume any Fallout content looking for realism.

ETA: I posted this way back before the show came out, but will post again. This opening cinematic is fantastic for world building of the Fallout universe. This is the opening cinematic for Fallout 4:

Sazerac
AG
Super helpful
BenTheGoodAg
AG
That cinematic was great. And the score for this and opening menu was fantastic.
TCTTS
AG
I haven't read the thread yet. I was waiting until I finished the season, I just did… and that was fan-f/cking-tastic.

I've never played the games either, but holy crap, what a world, what a finale, and what a phenomenal season of TV.

Not to tread on what I'm sure has already been covered, but man, did this scratch my Westworld itch too, seeing as it's from Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy. Though, they only produced, and didn't write it. But with Nolan directing the first three episodes, and setting the look, it was so incredibly close to Westworld in its cinematography. Not to the mention the music was from Ramin Djawadi, who had such a huge imprint on Westworld as well.

As much as I loved Westworld, though… parts of this might have been even better?

The storytelling, the editing, and just the propulsiveness of it all was masterful. The Westworld-esque cutting back and forth between the past and present was so effective too, and not overly complicated (as Westworld was known to be), culminating in the finale, which could not have been more perfect in how every last thread/timeline came to a head, in beautiful synchronicity. I've been to the Griffith Observatory so many times too - it's one of my favorite spots in LA - and they could not have picked or utilized a better location for the climax.

I also loved, loved, loved the final couple episodes selling "time" as THE theme/weapon of the series, which was so very Nolan brothers as well.

And last but certainly not least, Goggins as The Ghoul was somehow instantly iconic, cementing himself as one of the best villains of the past decade.

I just can't get over how good it all was.

Bring on season two!
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

Not to tread on what I'm sure has already been covered, but man, did this scratch my Westworld itch too, seeing as it's from Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy. Tough, they only produced, and didn't write it. But with Nolan directing the first three episodes, and setting the look, it was so incredible close to Westworld in terms of cinematography. Not to the mention the music was from Ramin Djawadi, who had such a huge imprint on Westworld as well.

Just finished reading the thread, and zero mention of Nolan/Westworld, so I guess I'm alone on that one.

Glad everyone seemed to love the season, though. Definitely in agreement that it's miles better than The Last of Us, as it's easily the best video game adaptation I've ever seen. To that end, I enjoyed all the added context in the thread as well. Very much appreciated.
thegoodolag15
AG
I was genuinely surprised with how well this show turned out. I had super low expectations and it was fantastic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.