Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

38,305 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Urban Ag
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kinda depends. I think the general rule of thumb is still 3, then New Vegas, then 4. Those should get you up to pretty much everything you need to know and then go back to 1 and 2 and Tactics for the deepest lore.
Velvet Jones
AG
Agreed with the posts above. Start with FO3 GOTY edition ($19.99 at most). Keep in mind it's 16-17 years old.

Still fantastic.
heddleston
AG
Yeah I think the steam spring sale is coming up and I'll pull the trigger on all of it on the cheap
Average Joe
AG
heddleston said:

So if one has never played a fallout game where should they start?

The great thing is that they are not linear in any way. They were all separate stories at different times and places, but the same world. So there is no wrong order.

That said, I agree with the above suggestion. 1 and 2 are completely different game types while 3, New Vegas and 4 are similar. I would go 3 > NV > 4.

New Vegas is considered by most to be the best story, but they are all good. That said, the best stories are the short ones you run across just exploring the worlds. The maps are HUGE, and you can spend thousands of hours just running around exploring.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
If you want to play just one game, play NV. It's set in the Mojave, so right near the show's setting and you'll get to know all the relevant factions.

Fallout 3 and 4 are set around DC and Boston.
Thanks and gig'em
DallasTeleAg
There's also no way you beat one of those before the show, let alone 3.

The main stories in all the games are "meh". The strength of the games are their visual storytelling and side quests throughout the world. I find the most enjoyment when I am truly role playing a vault dweller going out into the wasteland to explore, not a gamer who sits down and wants a linear narrative told to me.

If you only have time to experience one of the games before April 11th, that's hard to say.

New Vegas deals with what seems like important factions you'll get to meet in the show. However, that one is different from the other two. You are not a vault dweller in Fallout New Vegas, which is a big part of the other Fallout games. There are also several things in NV that deviate from the Bethesda Fallout games because it was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda.

Fallout 3 is the first Bethesda Fallout game, and is beloved by many because it is great. How much better than FO4? I don't know if it's much. The dated mechanics, graphics, and combat may make it a little bit of a chore to go back and play without the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.

FO4 is much more updated, has the best combat, and is a great game. The main quest is okay, but there are a lot of fantastic side quests and locations to find in the wasteland. The arrival of the Brotherhood of Steel in FO4 may be my favorite moment in any Fallout game. It is so freaking epic.

I'd say it's dealer's choice. Which of those descriptions sound best to you.

ETA: If you aren't listening to the radio while exploring the wasteland, I believe you are missing at least 30% of the experience. Gotta love all those oldies. If I hear any of those songs in the real world, I immediately have to go play Fallout.
Average Joe
AG
NV was my favorite storyline, but FO3 was my favorite world to explore. Running around DC with all of the American history was really cool.
jeffk
AG
My personal ranking is: New Vegas, 3, and then 4. I really didn't care for the settlements aspect of 4 and Boston was too close to DC to make it stand out to me. Also I grew up out west so the setting of NV was fun for me.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I agree with this sentiment

FO3 - best location to explore
FNV - best storyline
FO4 - best gameplay experience
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Obsidian was founded by folks who developed FO1 and 2, so New Vegas is also most true to the original lore and vibe.
Thanks and gig'em
ja86
AG
not sure if it has been mentioned, but if you have Amazon prime you can get FO2 for free from prime games right now through April 10.
DallasTeleAg
Aggie_Journalist said:

Obsidian was founded by folks who developed FO1 and 2, so New Vegas is also most true to the original lore and vibe.
But this show is not being made alongside Obsidian, it is being developed alongside Bethesda. That would lead us to believe it will be more aligned with their vision of the IP.

Also, the key element of being a naive vault dweller does not exist in New Vegas.

New Vegas is a good game and fan favorite, but if you are going to play one game before this show, I would say go with FO3 or FO4 so you can experience it from the point of view of a vault dweller.
bigtruckguy3500
Just saw the trailer for this. Looks interesting. But no Prime video.
DallasTeleAg
That's easily fixable for one month. Would cost less than one trip to the theater.
oragator
With the recent history of the show runners, I'm gonna have to see some awfully good reviews before diving in.
cone
AG
the Fallout California lore is so deep, they should be able to get a really good story out of this
Average Joe
AG
cone said:

the Fallout California lore is so deep, they should be able to get a really good story out of this

It really is a universe with almost endless lore potential.
heddleston
AG
Steam spring sale is live!

Fallout 3 GOTY edition with all the dlc: $6.59
New Vegas: 2.50, 6.59 for Ultimate edition
Fallout 4: 6.59, 9.99 for GOTY edition

my main gaming device is a steam deck, and it sounds like 3 is a bear to get working right, so ill likely grab the other two and get around to them at some point.
C@LAg
Average Joe said:

cone said:

It really is a universe with almost endless lore potential.
so did Halo.
bluefire579
AG
heddleston said:

Steam spring sale is live!

Fallout 3 GOTY edition with all the dlc: $6.59
New Vegas: 2.50, 6.59 for Ultimate edition
Fallout 4: 6.59, 9.99 for GOTY edition

my main gaming device is a steam deck, and it sounds like 3 is a bear to get working right, so ill likely grab the other two and get around to them at some point.
Both 3 and NV had beta branch updates on Steam recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some updates to work with newer devices soon.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
There've been a lot of nice little behind the scenes clips dropped in my feed, but this one gets me really excited. I think more than a lot of other shows we've seen lately, this one seems to really stick to the creative vision of the people who own the IP (looking at you Halo and LOTR:ROP)

Also, in true Bethesda fashion, what's the over/under on how many times your player will crash when watching episodes?
jeffk
AG
Fun article by Sepinwall with Walton Goggins. Talks about his career and the upcoming series.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/walton-goggins-fallout-justified-interview-1234986081/
Velvet Jones
AG
Season 1 (!) being released a day early. 4/10

edit - NSFW

Surprise!
MaroonStain
AG
I'm going to start my continued attempt at discipline and only watch one episode per week. Didn't work so well with 3BP.
Deputy Travis Junior
I love the fallout universe and vibe, so I'm hoping this is great, but I expect it to be terrible (even though the trailer looked pretty decent). Guess we'll see...
MaroonStain
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

I love the fallout universe and vibe, so I'm hoping this is great, but I expect it to be terrible (even though the trailer looked pretty decent). Guess we'll see...

Why? Amazon has done so well with Wheel Of Time.
Deputy Travis Junior
Hey, Season 1 was terrible (after growing steadily worse, they absolutely butchered the climax) but the second was solid.
MaroonStain
AG

Hey, Season 1 was terrible (after growing steadily worse, they absolutely butchered the climax) but the second was solid.

S2 was better until the grab bag, mashup in the last episode.
Ag_0112358132134

I thought the trailer looked like ass, and I fully expect the show to be ass. The number of awesome gaming IPs that hasn't been butchered by Hollywood is dwindling. At least nobody has ruined Mass Effect yet.
Fenrir
Ag_0112358132134 said:

I thought the trailer looked like ass, and I fully expect the show to be ass. The number of awesome gaming IPs that hasn't been butchered by Hollywood is dwindling. At least nobody has ruined Mass Effect yet.

Technically mass effect ruined mass effect.
Deputy Travis Junior
Well we'll see. Doesn't matter; lots of terrible movies had promising trailers and a few great movies had awful trailers.

My prediction for the fallout show's plot is "in a world in which nearly everybody is dead, and most of the people still alive are zombies, cannibals, or psychopathic murderous drug addicts (fiends), the real problem is rich people stomping on the little guy and holding back #GirlBosses." Which, I expect, will make for a dog meat (lol) show.
Ag_0112358132134
Fenrir said:

Ag_0112358132134 said:

Technically mass effect ruined mass effect.

Nah. Andromeda doesn't count. The original trilogy still lives on as one of the best entertainment experiences of all time.
rhutton125
AG
Damn straight.
bangobango
AG

Well we'll see. Doesn't matter; lots of terrible movies had promising trailers and a few great movies had awful trailers.

My prediction for the fallout show's plot is "in a world in which nearly everybody is dead, and most of the people still alive are zombies, cannibals, or psychopathic murderous drug addicts (fiends), the real problem is rich people stomping on the little guy and holding back #GirlBosses." Which, I expect, will make for a dog meat (lol) show.

Damn, I heard Disney just greenlighted a new series based on your pitch alone.
DallasTeleAg
In what way did the trailer look like "ass"?

You just seem like a miserable person.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.