Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

38,448 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by Eliminatus
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A lot of posting about the games on here (inevitable), but I just wanted to make sure people realize they can enjoy this series even if they have never played any of them or intend to. My wife isn't a gamer, but really got into this series especially after she was able to "get the vibe" of the Fallout world. Sure, she didn't get a lot of the game references but it didn't really take away from anything either.

Heck, even Walton Goggins said he's never played the games and didn't even want to know about them so that he wouldn't be too biased in his acting. He didn't even know the line "war never changes" was from the games.
Average Joe
AG
javajaws said:

A lot of posting about the games on here (inevitable), but I just wanted to make sure people realize they can enjoy this series even if they have never played any of them or intend to. My wife isn't a gamer, but really got into this series especially after she was able to "get the vibe" of the Fallout world. Sure, she didn't get a lot of the game references but it didn't really take away from anything either.

Heck, even Walton Goggins said he's never played the games and didn't even want to know about them so that he wouldn't be too biased in his acting. He didn't even know the line "war never changes" was from the games.

Most definitely. I will say that the Easter eggs don't really feel like Easter eggs because the show does such a great job of replicating the world in the games. This never felt like a show based on the games, but another installment in a different media.

Sq1dvm
AG
FWIW talked to a guy who works for Bethesda, he said they are loving the show at the officd. He recommended I try 76 again, said updates make it much better and supposed to have some tie ins to the show at some point.
cone
AG
BadMoonRisin
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Imo, New Vegas' strength is in its storytelling and writing. It has some fantastic, memorable characters. I wanted to replay all the different endings.

Fallout 4 has better graphics and modern features. You'll have more fun running around shooting things, but I found the story and characters relatively forgettable and non compelling. Every time I try to pick it back up for a second play through, I quickly put it back down.
4 was better for the graphics, UI, etc as you all have put, but yeah it feels a little empty to me.

It doesn't seem like you can ever really pay for your consequences like you could in the previous two. You just pick between 1 generic dialogue and another, it doesnt make that much of a difference, and you cant really make mistakes and go oh ****, that makes you have trouble later in the game.

Kills the roleplay to me. Writing is more bland, I'd agree.
Velvet Jones
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Imo, New Vegas' strength is in its storytelling and writing. It has some fantastic, memorable characters. I wanted to replay all the different endings.

Fallout 4 has better graphics and modern features. You'll have more fun running around shooting things, but I found the story and characters relatively forgettable and non compelling. Every time I try to pick it back up for a second play through, I quickly put it back down.
Agreed on all, with the exception that the lack of a vault changes things for me.

FO3 is still the champ.
AGnBCS
AG
Really love this show. Great to see good entertainment with little to no agenda mucking up the story. I really found myself liking and pulling for the main characters . The girl who plays Lucy was superb and made that character so likable . This was fun from beginning to end . Highly recommend.
aggie_wes
AG
Just finished it today, I really enjoyed it. So many little Easter eggs from the games (mainly played New Vegas and FO3) that add to it if you recognize them, but definitely not needed to follow the story.
PatAg
AG
I think I might be fully back on having these episodes release one week at a time, even though I binged this over 2 days.
Hard to have any real discussions as you are watching, and also after you finish.
Convenient to watch when you have time though.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition with all of the DLC content is $9.99 on steam for the weekend. This, coupled with the next-gen update that drops next Friday might provide a good introduction to the series for those of you with decent PCs, and if you dont like it, eh, $10 bucks.

New Vegas is $2.50 and Fallout 3 :GOTY edition is $5, but as others have mentioned, they are a little more dated.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
+1
This would have been a fun thread if we were all going week to week for 8 weeks. And more folks likely would have stumbled into the show, too.

Dropping it all at once made it more of a flash in the pan.
Thanks and gig'em
DallasTeleAg
I don't think the NextGen update has anything to do with the PC version you get on steam, unless there's more to it that I just didn't see. I thought the nextgen update was to push the console versions to 60fps. Gonna have to go look and see what else comes with that update.

ETA: I will say, my issue with restarting a playthrough of FO4 is the main quest has so many parts that I just want to get through quickly, but have to sit there and let dialogue and scenes play out.
StinkyPinky
AG
Just finished episode 2. They hit this out of the park so far.
BadMoonRisin
AG
https://bethesda.net/en/article/4s2bXQEbpcrsdCZhUYLHAi/fallout-4-is-getting-free-updates

Ultrawide monitor support, stability updates, more content.
bluefire579
AG
https://hard-drive.net/hd/entertainment/obsidian-announces-a-much-better-fallout-show/
DallasTeleAg
I may check it out when it's released. Going through Elden Ring in both a single player and coop playthrough, right now, for the June DLC.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Season 2 already renewed!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/fallout-renewed-season-2-amazon-1235873331/
C@LAg
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Season 2 already renewed!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/fallout-renewed-season-2-amazon-1235873331/
akshually...

the show was renewed; season 2 was approved

otherwise you would have two season 2s
PatAg
AG
Average Joe said:

javajaws said:

Most definitely. I will say that the Easter eggs don't really feel like Easter eggs because the show does such a great job of replicating the world in the games. This never felt like a show based on the games, but another installment in a different media.

I think this is very accurate, and a big compliment to the show.
superunknown
AG
Started this series tonight, watched episode 1. Very enjoyable....I'm only sorta familiar with the game series (tried FO4 based on the recommendation from a friend and I tried to get into it but it's just too much of an asswhip for me) but I like how even being somewhat aware of the FO universe...I recognize some of the themes. Even if I hadn't tried the game, the series is still worth the watch so far.
n_touch
PatAg said:

Average Joe said:

javajaws said:

I think this is very accurate, and a big compliment to the show.
The whole first episode felt like a cut scene and when she walked out you would then have to control her actions.
jsc8116
AG
Question, sorry if spoilers....

If Walton was aware of the weak spot in the armor in the finale, why didnt he exploit that when he first fought Maximus?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
2 possible reasons I've heard

1.) He quickly realized Maximus didn't know what he was doing and so he was just toying with him.

2.) He spent a while reloading his gun before taking out the power armor guys in the finale, so he may have been loading armor piercing rounds for that fight that he didn't have on hand during the Maximus fight.
Thanks and gig'em
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I just put together that when we are introduced to 2070's Hank, we are also seeing a younger version of Betty Pearson when she brought in Hank to introduce him to Cooper Howard.
bangobango
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

I just put together that when we are introduced to 2070's Hank, we are also seeing a younger version of Betty Pearson when she brought in Hank to introduce him to Cooper Howard.

Yeah, my wife caught that.
AgTrip
jsc8116 said:

If Walton was aware of the weak spot in the armor in the finale, why didnt he exploit that when he first fought Maximus?

I was wondering why not just pull the power core from the armor when fighting them? That's a poor design having them in the back like that.
DallasTeleAg
AgTrip said:

jsc8116 said:

I was wondering why not just pull the power core from the armor when fighting them? That's a poor design having them in the back like that.
You're starting to overthink a show based on a video game. That's the same logic I've seen others on YouTube try to use when overly criticizing this show, and then mocking those of us who point to it being a video game.

The point is, Fallout is not JUST a video game. It is a video game with dark humor and satire at its core. It is meant to be ridiculous. The showrunners are leaning into this without doing that hokey "look into the camera and wink" crap. For example, the use of the stimpak to heal Dogmeat in Ep2. He is literally stabbed in the chest and about to die. One stimpak and he's back up and ready to go.

That's how the game works. Your leg is broken, your arm is broken, you have a severe concussion... you name it. Pop a stimpak and you are better. Drink too much irradiated water in the wasteland? Take a Radaway.

This adaptation is not mean as a "what if Fallout were real? Let's make a show that makes this game realistic." This show is adapted much like how the One Piece live action show was adapted... a literal adaptation from the source material.

Why is the power core easy to remove? Because you have to replace those damn things when they run out of power. Also, it looks cool when you pop it in. Also, the power armor is not meant to be used in a situation where you are completely surrounded. They are meant to be used like they are in the last episode, as the "tank" in a squad of soldiers surrounding it for support. You are also forgetting that the squire had a key to remove the power armor. That couldn't have been done by any Joe-blow.
PatAg
AG
didnt the Squire have to use a special sort of key to take the powercore out anyways?
jeffk
AG
Yes, he did.
Brock Sampson
AG
Gonna get to this show after finishing Invincible.

Maybe I need to finally complete Fallout 4.
AgTrip
jeffk said:

Yes, he did.

Well there you go. Simple explanation instead of that long drawn out lecture above..haha
DallasTeleAg
AgTrip said:

jeffk said:

Yes, he did.

Well there you go. Simple explanation instead of that long drawn out lecture above..haha
So, throughout the entire 8 episodes, you had only one critique of the show's logic: why is it so easy to access a fusion core?
AgTrip
Yep! I liked it.
TresPuertas
AG
quick question for those who have finished:

what is it that enables the Ghoul and the other lady to live for 200 years? Clearly Lucy's mom was alive by the same substance but why did she turn into a straight up corpse, why is the Ghoul and fully functional ghoul, and why wasn't the head honcho lady aged at all?
jeffk
AG
Ghouls are basically immortal from a physical standpoint as long as their bodies don't get blown up or shot to pieces or burnt to a crisp, etc. Mentally though they eventually go feral without whatever medicine they're taking in the show. (I don't remember anything about that in any of the games, but I might have forgotten about it.) Feral ghouls are just wild animals.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.