Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

39,234 Views | 467 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by AgLaw
Nagler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I vaguely remember seeing someone play Fallout at someone's house once. That's been my only real interaction with the game.

I loved this show. One of my favorites I've seen in recently memory. I thought they did a good job keeping it funny but not going too far. The setting is awesome. The 50's stuff is great.

I really enjoyed it.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Really enjoyed this show!!
Sex Panther
AG
I'm sure it's been brought up but I've been trying to avoid this thread until finished with the season (two eps left)

They are doing a next-gen update for Fallout 4 scheduled for April 25. I've never played any of the games but I def have the itch because this show is awesome.
n_touch
Sex Panther said:

I'm sure it's been brought up but I've been trying to avoid this thread until finished with the season (two eps left)

They are doing a next-gen update for Fallout 4 scheduled for April 25. I've never played any of the games but I def have the itch because this show is awesome.
I really enjoyed FO4. It already looks on the PS5 I am ready to see what it looks like with the update.
jeffk
AG
Did any of y'all play FO76? That's the only title I haven't played.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm a little confused on how her dad is alive if he's not a ghoul.
jeffk
AG
Spoiler if you haven't finished the series: he was in a stasis/hibernation chamber in Vault 31… just like all the other people that had been elected overseer of 33.
n_touch
jeffk said:

Did any of y'all play FO76? That's the only title I haven't played.

Tried it. Its not horrible and the graphics are great on the PS5. Its just different. I also am not huge fan of playing online with others. One good thing is even though they are there its not like GTA where they can just kill you and move on.
jeffk
AG
That was my hesitation - I like the alone aspect of the FO series and others like them. So you don't have to interact with other players if you don't want to?
BadMoonRisin
AG
Im a huge fallout fan and would never tell another person to not enjoy the IP. 76 was a disaster when it launched, but has supposedly gotten much better, after updates.

As a purist I'd say Go 3/New Vegas/4.

1 or 2 if you're a completionism and then 76 as well.
Average Joe
AG
76 is light-years better than it was at launch. It's a pretty fun game now, and the community is the most inviting ever.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, 76 is the only title I haven't played.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
76 was also not story driven like the other games. I've heard they've patched in some more of that type content, but I don't really know.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Initially, there were no NPCs so, it was weird to think about....what would fallout be without the NPCs?

Turns out, not great for the formula.

Sounds like they figured it out, though.
91_Aggie
AG
BQwolf05 said:

LOL that is great. NV is one of the few I have actually completed. 1 & 2 played when a teen never finished, 3 & 4 never fully finished either....get so caught up in side quests take way to long to beat the game, then some other game comes along so I move to that....then wash rinse repeat...

Did any of you play the actual first game in the series: Wasteland
1988 game I got on my commodore 64.

Probably more like spiritual predecessor

bangobango
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Im sure Im gonna sound like a beech, but i really wish they dropped 1 episode per week -- this is the perfect series for it.

I dont judge you guys for binging the entire series in 2 days (I definitely would if I could have!!), but I feel like the discussion would be different if it was a slower drip!

Yeah, I agree. There is really no buzz that gets built when they do them like this. I hate it.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Never played it, but I did see a wasteland sequel was made semi recently.
Thanks and gig'em
AgLaw
AG
Just finished. Man, that was great, and it built as the season went along without any real lag. They captured everything that makes the games fun and translated it perfectly to the screen.

Rockstar games: take this and do the same with Red Dead Redemption.
BQwolf05
AG
Tried to boot up FO3 but couldn't get it to run. Some issue with it not running on new computers....

Started 4 last night though.
Velvet Jones
AG
FO3 needs several mods to make it work well these days. This is a pretty good list.

It's my favorite of the games, but I have to remind myself that freshmen at A&M now were infants when it was released.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I wonder how they decide if they'll drop all the episodes at once or one per week? It seems like building the buzz with one per week would be the play here. But what do I know?
DrEvazanPhD
Put me down as one who has never played the games and is enjoying the show. I'm only 3 episodes in so far but it's hooked me
Average Joe
AG
I started up a playthrough of NV last night. Haven't played it since the 360. Spent a solid hour modding it first to make it look halfway decent.
Average Joe
AG
BTW, you can call and text the number in the sixth episode.
javajaws
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I wonder how they decide if they'll drop all the episodes at once or one per week? It seems like building the buzz with one per week would be the play here. But what do I know?
I really hate the weekly release thing. I know they do it to string along subscribers such that they only need to put out 1 good series every couple of months. But I think that is to the detriment of viewing the show when first released. I get much more involved and care about a show when I can binge watch it in a few days. Stretched out over 2 months or so you can tend to forget some details, etc.

I also think the more episodic a series is the less of a problem it is for releasing weekly. Series' with a continuous story arc are better served all at once IMO.
Bockaneer
AG
Wasn't that west world?
DallasTeleAg
Agreed.

And, selfishly, I just want to watch the damn show.
91_Aggie
AG
Got this on my current run through (I added Mods to it because I have Gun Nut and Science Perks maxxed out).

It's just eating through enemies. Deathclaws going down in 1 shot if I crit.
And I never took the Scrounger perks and the ones that let find more caps in past run-throughs, but did this time... sheesh... never have to worry about caps or ammo again.

easttexasaggie04
AG
So did we reach a consensus on what the "best" Fallout game is for somebody who has never played on before?
91_Aggie
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

So did we reach a consensus on what the "best" Fallout game is for somebody who has never played on before?
New Vegas or Fallout 4.

You could come back to 3 if you really wanted... they don't tie together in stories so you don't have to play them in order

Fallout 3 set in Washington, DC
New Vegas is Las Vegas (duh)
Fallout 4 is Boston area

Fallout 76 is West Virginia but is a Multiplayer world and was crap when released. I heard it got better but still not really a good cohesive storyline.
I think it also involves monthly fees to play but not 100%... never wanted to delve into it since they didn't make it as a single player cohesive game.
AgLaw
AG
Bockaneer said:

Wasn't that west world?

Haha. Pretty close.
bluefire579
AG
I would say if you want to play all of the newer ones, start with 3. Each successive one makes gameplay and UX improvements that makes it a bit harder to go back
DallasTeleAg
Haha... yep. That is the OP gun you can buy in the other vault. I don't like buying legendary weapons because I like to find everything I use in the wasteland. I once found a plasma rifle with the same Affix. That thing melted people.
DallasTeleAg
easttexasaggie04 said:

I think the hate FO4 gets is overblown and I think the praise New Vegas gets is overblown.

Both games have their strengths and weaknesses. Unless you are a huge gamer who loves playing similar games for over 120 hours, I doubt you will play two of these back to back.

FO4 is a good place the start because it is more modern in the mechanics and graphics. Especially now that the next-gen update is scheduled for the 25th. Playing it at 60FPS is a drastic improvement.

However, New Vegas has more tie ins with the show, with the NCR being a presence in the game. It always seemed weird not being from a Vault, though...

If you've finished Season 1 Also, the fact that Hank is shown going to New Vegas at then tells us we will get some content from there.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Imo, New Vegas' strength is in its storytelling and writing. It has some fantastic, memorable characters. I wanted to replay all the different endings.

Fallout 4 has better graphics and modern features. You'll have more fun running around shooting things, but I found the story and characters relatively forgettable and non compelling. Every time I try to pick it back up for a second play through, I quickly put it back down.
Thanks and gig'em

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.