*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER *** (Spoiler Thread)

142,623 Views | 1435 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apologies for yet another Star Wars thread, but with so much of the plot for TROS having leaked, discussion is starting to get too accurate/spot-on in the other thread, and I don't want to risk pissing anyone off or ruining the movie for them. So, from here on out, let's keep all spoiler talk and even speculation based on light spoilers to this thread.

For those truly interested, below are the reddit threads where most of the info is coming from (in addition to Making Star Wars). That said, there's still quite a bit of detail and connective tissue missing, so even having read Act I and Act II, I I still feel like there's plenty of surprise left, but will definitely be staying away from Act III, as I don't want the ending spoiled beforehand. So I may or may not be participating in this thread. I guess it depends on how we want to handle third act discussion here until the premiere...

Act 1
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/d5i0ye/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/

Act 2
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/d7bshe/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/

Act 3
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/dafpm8/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty sure it's the same guy. He's been updating his stuff for a while now.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
So you're saying we need a 4th thread for Third Act Spoiler Discussion?
djmeen95
AG
I like where this is going. Let's end this part of the saga on a high note!
The Collective
AG
It's only October.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
From the stuff I've skimmed, it sounds like Palpatine's going to be Voldemort mode early on - still powerful, barely survived, but needing help to regain his full strength.

And Rey's fight him might have elements of Harry Potter's fight with Voldemort at the end of Goblet of Fire where he gets a little from some ghost friends of his.
Liquid Wrench
Thanks. I started to bring up something in the other thread but got tired of jacking with spoiler tags for comments that some people don't think are spoilers blah blah blah.

I read all the Praxis stuff and some MoS, but haven't seen if anyone has identified Matt Smith's role. Is it possible that he's the "force rejuvenated" Palpatine, or does anyone have a clue if he's someone else?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I read a few months ago that they had initially planned on using Matt Smith as the conduit for the reborn Palpatine, sort of what they did in the Dark Empire comic years ago, but then JJ was like "Why don't we just ask Ian McDiarmid if he wants to be in it instead?" Not sure Matt Smith is in it or not at this point.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Yes, I'm posting again but since we can talk a bit more freely, given that Palpatine is still alive, albeit it barely, brings me to 2 possible points.

1) He absolutely learned the secret of stopping death from Darth Plagueis as referenced in ROTS, but had absolutely no intent of ever sharing that secret with Anakin. Anakin was just one more tool to enforce his wil.

2) It would be retcon city, but there's obviously the giant blast of blue energy that we've always assumed is Palpatine distengrating or blowing himself up down there in the Death Star shaft after Vader chucks him over. If he's got some way to cheat death that includes manipulating space to transport himself out of a death situation, you could theorize that the blue blast of energy is him doing that. Wherever he ends up - sounds like he's being tended to by some sort of dark side servants like the one Vader had at his castle in Rogue One. He's not powerful enough to do a whole lot, but his mind is still intact and he still knows what contigencies he had for the Empire before DS 2. More than anything If we're going forward with Palpy, I really want some sort of connection that he positioned Snoke into power to build up the First Order and lure out the Force Users that Palpatine would need to restore his strength.
Callate Donnie
So, is this basically Empire Strikes Back 2?
twilly
AG
OK, if this is a spoiler thread, lets dive deep into the spoilers.

From Reddit:

If the the ghosts of Luke and Leia come back to help defeat Palpatine, then why couldn't the ghosts of Yoda or Obi-Wan do the same in ROTJ?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Didn't need to?
Quad Dog
AG
Ghost of Anakin helping out Rey and Ghost of Vader helping out Kylo/Palpatine?
Urban Ag
AG
twilly said:

From Reddit:

If the the ghosts of Luke and Leia come back to help defeat Palpatine, then why couldn't the ghosts of Yoda or Obi-Wan do the same in ROTJ?
By this line of thinking the Rebels could have used a drone cruiser jumping to light speed to take out either Death Star or even Starkiller.

Just gotta role with it man
twilly
AG
Urban Ag said:

twilly said:

From Reddit:

By this line of thinking the Rebels could have used a drone cruiser jumping to light speed to take out either Death Star or even Starkiller.

Just gotta role with it man
Yeah I know. Cool as this scene might be, I'm just laying the groundwork for the uber geek fights that will start on 12/21.
Urban Ag
AG
but...but....it wouldn't work that in way in space.....those bombers couldn't drop their.....

Prime0882
AG
Think it's a sign of my apathy towards Star Wars now a days that I would read this thread without a second thought.

I stayed away from spoilers for Avengers and all sorts of movie, but this series has become so "blah" that I'm not even really sure if I want to see this in theaters if the spoilers turn out to be true.

Amazing that Disney could do so well with the Marvel franchise and disappoint with this one.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Thanks for the input, Johnny Raincloud
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If true, these rumors of the look of the trailer are going to rock some people's *****

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/10/rumor-the-main-sequence-from-the-next-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-trailer/

The Gist of the Rumors
  • The trailer is said to open with Kylo landing on the dead world of Exogal or Exogul (we don't know the spelling).
  • We observe Kylo as walks towards a large floating cube.
  • We see Kylo Ren take a lift down below the surface into the planet.
  • Ren meets an old man (Darth Sidious).
  • The cut jumps to Kylo with his saber igniting and being put up to the old man's neck who identifies himself as Darth Sidious.
  • Palpatine or Darth Sidious is in a vertical med chair he is strapped into.
  • We then see a lot of general shots of the battles and the Resistance like the stuff we've seen before.
  • The trailer ends with Palpatine saying "something" in his gravely spooky voice we will likely report soon.
I might be able to report more on the trailer once more sources have seen it and can verify more commonalities between the various cuts. But for now, that moment is said to be the exposition and the core of the two minute trailer. We see Kylo discovering the old version of Palpatine before he becomes something "more." The rest of the trailer is the kind of stuff we have already seen for the most part.
TCTTS
AG
A) This fits right in line with the reddit plot breakdown.

B) I'm kind of surprised they're framing the final trailer through Kylo and not Rey. Granted, Rey's arc in this movie sounds almost entirely about who she is/her parentage, so I understand not wanting to hint at any of that in the trailer, but it's still a bold choice. That said, Kylo *is* ultimately a Skywalker, so maybe they've shifted the framing a bit more to him than Rey in this final installment, which I'd be totally fine with.
Flashdiaz
AG
Lightsabers or Blasters on their hips?

TCTTS
AG
Seems Jason at Making Star Wars and JediPraxis at Reddit are going back on a few of their claims - or, rather, are saying that the movie itself is/has changed and they don't know what to think anymore. Personally, I think both of these guys have been a little too bold on info that was shaky in the first place, and now they're using the reshoots to say everything is changing, when in reality they never had it right from the get-go. Either way, good to know the plot still might be a little more unknown that we initially thought.

Jason, in particular, really rubs me the wrong way. He's at least always been good with transparency and saying he's not 100% certain in whatever spoiler he's dropping, but this stuff has really gone to his head as of late. The spoiler videos he posts in his backyard at night with sunglasses on, taking dramatic pauses to swig a beer - all un-ironically - are so just so cringeworthy.

I'm done listening to either of these guys for the next two months...
TCTTS
AG
And it's sounding more and more like that trailer description might be bogus as well, just FYI...
The Collective
AG
JJ leaking fake info like a boss.

Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Well that's a relief, wasn't too high on the reddit act summaries
TCTTS
AG
Even if the act summaries are true - and I still think the basic gist is accurate - I've read dozens of these kinds of in-advance, hastily assembled bullet point summaries and they obviously never do the eventual movie justice. Things that sound dumb in a bullet point can be super effective on screen, there's emotion, context, and music cues missing, etc. That said, while I love the go-go-go adventure the act summaries lay out, I do admit that a little *too* much is packed in there for an actual, plausible movie that's not five hours long. Something's not quite right, that's for sure.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You are mad because he is drinking beer ab DC wearing sunglasses while trying to give us all the info we waste hours a day online looking for? Just read the notes that's what I do
TCTTS
AG
Wasn't aware that I was "mad." My only point was that he was starting to come across more and more like a ****** these past few months. Seems he's gotten a little cocky and careless in his reporting and it came back to bite him. That's all I'm saying.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Bumping this up for the trailer tonight.
The Collective
AG
Do we have to speculate in here? I assume no.
TCTTS
AG
I think it's fine to speculate in the other thread as long as it's not based on the reddit plot leaks. I would keep any of that here, obviously.
ja86
AG
so just watched the trailer and have not read the spoiler rumors but am i off base that it looks like everyone teams up to beat the emperor at the end?
Liquid Wrench
TCTTS said:

And it's sounding more and more like that trailer description might be bogus as well, just FYI...
Trailer prediction was off, but it seems like a bunch of other stuff from Jedi Praxis was confirmed.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Clearly giving people the Emperor although not quite seen to get them amped up. But

No Luke or Leia except already seen footage and short voice-overs.
No Zori Bliss except for one scene standing there doing nothing.
No Knights of Ren
No Sith Troopers
No Wedge

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.