*** Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live Action Remake) ***

42,362 Views | 445 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by GrayMatter
Redstone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Although Disney does deserve the benefit of the doubt, and we should wait until release to pass judgment…..

I am a little bit concerned writers won't be sensitive to the issue of a Black woman giving up her voice…to "be with" a white man.

I hope, at a bare minimum, they've consulted with social justice groups, as with other films.
BAP Enthusiast
amercer said:

Everyone knows mermaids aren't real right? And imaginary things can be whatever the creators want them to be?

Wakanda isn't real either so why can't Black Panther be white?
Duncan Idaho
BAP Enthusiast said:

amercer said:

Everyone knows mermaids aren't real right? And imaginary things can be whatever the creators want them to be?

Because he is supposed to be a cool alpha that don't care but a tender snowflake that is always the victim
Ag-Yoakum95
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Some of you are going to lose it when you realize that the main character in your fancy god book wasn't white yet he's been white washed for hundreds of years if not thousands.

One day you'll find out he's real. Good luck as I get the impression you think otherwise.
The Collective
AG
I am ready for brown Elsa. It is going to be amazing!
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

amercer said:

You and The Debt keep making points like this, as if it's some kind of clever trump card, when it really just shows your willful ignorance.

I can't believe I have to explain this, but whites and blacks don't share a 50-50 split of the population, haven't equally controlled/been equally represented in film for the past 100 years, and, not to mention, whites enslaved blacks for 300 years prior to that, while blacks earned equal rights to whites only 60 years ago.

In other words, the race that so suffocatingly eclipsed nearly every facet of life for so long, particularly when it comes to film/pop culture, doesn't have the same claim to otherwise moronic questions like, "wHy cAN't BLaCk paNtheR bE WhiTe!!!???"

Because *whites* weren't the repressed, underrepresented race for the past 100 years of film history.

Because there have been *countless* white superheroes depicted in film, and only a small handful of black superheroes depicted in film.

Because, since the 1920s, the vast majority of Disney characters have been white, not black.

Again, this isn't rocket science.

And this archaic idea that race representation in movies or music or entertainment in general should *only* equate to the exact racial makeup of our country is utter nonsense. Because, again... one of those races was actively held out of the spotlight for so long, disproportionate to their percentage makeup in terms of population.

So if Disney wants to make *one* of their previously white characters black, and doing so helps certain members of their community feel like they're finally getting their time in the sun, so to speak - especially when white people have enjoyed seeing themselves represented in Disney movies for 100 years now - I say go for it.

How can that *possibly* annoy you, given the context and circumstances?
Duncan Idaho
Because they are snowflakes that are afraid to compete on a playing field that slightly less favorable than the one their parents completed on
TCTTS
AG
Nail on the head.
tysker
AG
Quote:

Because, since the 1920s, the vast majority of Disney characters have been white, not black.
MIckey's not black?
Oyster DuPree
AG
If we make the crab Jewish and Ursula a cheeky Australian can we call it a fair compromise?
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Nail on the head.

I legit couldn't care less what ethnicity they make the new Little Mermaid. For that matter, don't care what ethnicity the new James Bond will be, I think Sam is the most natural person to be the next Captain America, and as a long time LOTR fan have no problem with the dwarves, hobbits, and elves in the new Amazon show being multi-ethnic.

My only argument is stop remaking the same frigging stories over and over. I suppose they've made live action versions of their other classics, so The Little Mermaid is due. Fine. But if Hollywood wants to feature more non-white people, thats great, just do it by exploring new, uncovered territory from these underserved cultures. There's tons of fables and lore out there from other cultures that would be so interesting to see on a big screen. Coco was great, so was Moana. Don't rehash an old anglo-centric story and say you're promoting other cultures by casting a non-white person in those roles. Truly serving other cultures would be telling their stories on the big screen.

And for God's sake stop wasting money on the upteenth Snow White movie in the past two decades.
TCTTS
AG
From a purely creative standpoint, I agree. Unfortunately, it's just not a reality financially. If there's IP to mine, they're going to mine it. Hopefully, when they've finally run through every notable old cartoon to update to live action, they'll be forced to do more original fare. But for the time being, get ready for new live action versions of Peter Pan & Wendy, Snow White, Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Sword in the Stone, and Lilo & Sticth, all in various forms of production or development, along with live-action sequels/prequels to The Lion King, Aladdin, The Jungle Book, and Cruella.
Cromagnum
AG
Is this going to be Ursula? (Or is that fat shaming and Ursula needs to be a transgender instead?) I can't keep up.

MEEN Ag 05
AG
Newly released clip of King Triton catching Prince Eric in Aerial's bedroom....

Justin2010
AG
Always loved the music from that movie, and it sounds like the actress has a great voice.
amercer
AG
TCTTS said:

From a purely creative standpoint, I agree. Unfortunately, it's just not a reality financially. If there's IP to mine, they're going to mine it. Hopefully, when they've finally run through every notable old cartoon to update to live action, they'll be forced to do more original fare. But for the time being, get ready for new live action versions of Peter Pan & Wendy, Snow White, Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Sword in the Stone, and Lilo & Sticth, all in various forms of production or development, along with live-action sequels/prequels to The Lion King, Aladdin, The Jungle Book, and Cruella.

Pretty sure we've been remaking Shakespeare for 400 years.

Just don't tell anyone on here how many non-Scottish guys have been cast as Macbeth.

One of my all time favorite Onion articles seems relevant here:

https://www.theonion.com/unconventional-director-sets-shakespeare-play-in-time-1819569151/amp
BAP Enthusiast
TCTTS said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

amercer said:

You and The Debt keep making points like this, as if it's some kind of clever trump card, when it really just shows your willful ignorance.

I can't believe I have to explain this, but whites and blacks don't share a 50-50 split of the population, haven't equally controlled/been equally represented in film for the past 100 years, and, not to mention, whites enslaved blacks for 300 years prior to that, while blacks earned equal rights to whites only 60 years ago.

In other words, the race that so suffocatingly eclipsed nearly every facet of life for so long, particularly when it comes to film/pop culture, doesn't have the same claim to otherwise moronic questions like, "wHy cAN't BLaCk paNtheR bE WhiTe!!!???"

Because *whites* weren't the repressed, underrepresented race for the past 100 years of film history.

Because there have been *countless* white superheroes depicted in film, and only a small handful of black superheroes depicted in film.

Again, this isn't rocket science.

And this archaic idea that race representation in movies or music or entertainment in general should *only* equate to the exact racial makeup of our country is utter nonsense. Because, again... one of those races was actively held out of the spotlight for so long, disproportionate to their percentage makeup in terms of population.

So if Disney wants to make *one* of their previously white characters black, and doing so helps certain members of their community feel like they're finally getting their time in the sun, so to speak - especially when white people have enjoyed seeing themselves represented in Disney movies for 100 years now - I say go for it.

How can that *possibly* annoy you, given the context and circumstances?

I posted one sentence and look at all of these words I won't read about how it's "different."
Redstone
AG
Who would have ever thought that BIPOC Representation could engineer such passion?

Can't wait for the film!!
DallasTeleAg
The " **insert story** isn't real" argument to others criticizing something not making sense is so stupid. We are watching a story being told. If you are the storyteller and your story doesn't make any sense... then it's poor storytelling.

Personally, don't see anything wrong with the mermaid being black, but all the other mermaids should probably be black as well. If they start throwing in asian mermaids and white mermaids, then it's just stupid. Granted, I'm surprised all the SJW aren't mad about the cultural appropriation of the Dutch...

I didn't care for the way she sang that song, but I also am not that big of a fan of runs like that.

Still waiting for more Latinos in all these shows and movies. My people represent a much larger group in this country, and no one seems to want to pander to us.
Teslag
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Because they are snowflakes that are afraid to compete on a playing field that slightly less favorable than the one their parents completed on

As opposed to the snowflakes that urinate themselves when they see a flag or statue they don't like? Imagine being part of a culture wrought with fatherless children, high drug use, crime, lack of education (almost all of which is self inflicted) and the one thing that makes you feel it's all okay is because a fake mermaid in a movie "looks like you".

Just laughable fragility.
funkycoldpetina
I haven't heard one person of color describe an experience similar to what you are projecting on them but I have seen many soiled sheets from the orange man group about this kids movie.
TCTTS
AG
Teslag said:

Duncan Idaho said:

As opposed to the snowflakes that urinate themselves when they see a flag or statue they don't like? Imagine being part of a culture wrought with fatherless children, high drug use, crime, lack of education (almost all of which is self inflicted) and the one thing that makes you feel it's all okay is because a fake mermaid in a movie "looks like you".

Just laughable fragility.

What's laughable is you stereotyping an entire culture/side, as if everyone in the black community, or everyone on the left, is "wrought" with all the things you listed above. The very idea that your world view is that narrow, bias, and clouded tells me everything I need to know about how you view/approach these kinds of things.

"As opposed to the snowflakes that urinate themselves when they see that a mermaid is now a different race than the one she was in a '90s cartoon? Imagine being part of a culture wrought with gay-hating insurrectionists, QAnon believers, racists confederate flag wavers, school shooting deniers, lack of critical thinking (almost all of which is self inflicted) and the one thing that makes you feel it's all okay is because a mermaid in a movie remains white.

Just laughable fragility."

You see how easy that is? And how stupid it sounds? As if everyone on the right were as bad as only the worst traits of the right?
Teslag
AG
There was literally a lame video posted of some kids ooh aahing on this thread over it. It's laughable. I don't give a **** if she's black or if she's even female. But I love to ridicule and mock these useless platitudes. Because that's all they are. Is it worth getting pissed over? No, that's stupid. Is it worth thinking this changes anything real? No. It's food for morons to lick up. Just roll your eyes, mock and move on.
Teslag
AG
I'm wiling to bet a large number of blacks roll their eyes at this **** too. But nice job lumping and stereotyping an entire race of people into victim culture.
funkycoldpetina
Teslag said:

There was literally a lame video posted of some kids ooh aahing on this thread over it. It's laughable. I don't give a **** if she's black or if she's even female. But I love to ridicule and mock these useless platitudes. Because that's all they are. Is it worth getting pissed over? No, that's stupid. Is it worth thinking this changes anything real? No. It's food for morons to lick up. Just roll your eyes, mock and move on.

Imagine getting your panties this twisted about a video of some people being excited about the little mermaid. You'd make Mr Glass look like the Austrian oak.
Teslag
AG
You think me laughing at how stupid it is means my panties are twisted? I laugh at stupidity every day. That video is no different.
funkycoldpetina
Your laughter really shines through your writing style. I admire how you don't sound triggered at all. Just a guy who doesn't care about any of this stuff. I bet you never skip leg day either.
TCTTS
Teslag
AG
You're right. I'm totes here just fuming. There ARE people in this world who mock absurdities without anger. You should try it.
Redstone
Madmarttigan
AG
Hahaha I'm racist AF but I'm just joking hahahaha
funkycoldpetina
I watched beauty and the beast on broadway in the late 90s. Belle was played by brandy. Let me tell you she did an awesome job and it was a great show.
Carlo4
AG
Carlo4 said:

Ariel

Eric

I'm just disappointed we didn't get these two
Know Your Enemy
AG
Teslag said:

I'm wiling to bet a large number of blacks roll their eyes at this **** too. But nice job lumping and stereotyping an entire race of people into victim culture.
I'm guessing you don't have many in your life to ask how they feel.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.