*** Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live Action Remake) ***

42,338 Views | 445 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by GrayMatter
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wrong thread
A is A
AG
TCTTS said:

A is A said:

TCTTS said:

The "dominant ethnicity." Have you ever been capable of screening anything you type before hitting post?

Also, The Little Mermaid trailer earned 104 million views in its first 48 hours online…

Quote:

… above those of all recent Disney live-action titles, including "Cruella" (68 million views), "Beauty and the Beast" (94 million views), "Alladin" (74 million views) and "Maleficent 2" (62 million views). Worldwide views are compiled from YouTube, Twitter, Snapchat, TikTok and Instagram."

So, I'm sorry that it's likely going to be massive success, just like Ukrain's war effort. I know both will irk you in equal measure.
What do you classify as massive success?

You're in the business. Give us your criteria for that threshold to be reached. Would love to re-visit this thread.

What are the numbers you think it has to reach both US and Globally?

All theatrically released Disney live-action remakes...

DOMESTIC OPENING WEEKEND

$191.8M = The Lion King (2019)
$174.8M = Beauty and the Beast (2017)
$116.1M = Alice in Wonderland (2010)
$103.3M = The Jungle Book (2016)
$091.5M = Aladdin (2019)
$069.4M = Maleficent (2014)
$067.9M = Cinderella (2015)
$045.9M = Dumbo (2019)
$036.9M = Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)
$026.8M = Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
$024.6M = Christopher Robin (2018)
$021.5M = Cruella (2021)

WORLDWIDE TOTAL

$1.65B = The Lion King (2019)
$1.27B = Beauty and the Beast (2017)
$1.04B = Aladdin (2019)
$1.02B = Alice in Wonderland (2010)
$953M = The Jungle Book (2016)
$758M = Maleficent (2014)
$542M = Cinderella (2015)
$498M = Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)
$353M = Dumbo (2019)
$276M = Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
$226M = Cruella (2021)
$197M = Christopher Robin (2018)

Given those numbers, I'd say The Little Mermaid - releasing Memorial Day Weekend - definitely performs above Maleficent ($69.4M), but below Beauty and the Beast ($174.8M), coming in somewhere around $90M-$110M opening weekend. And then performs above Maleficent ($758M), but below Aladdin ($1.04B), coming in somewhere around $800M-$1B worldwide. Resulting in a "massive success" either way. Of course, it also has the potential to blow any of those numbers out of the water (no pun intended).
Appreciate the response. I think those numbers are definitely in reach.
Teslag
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Teslag said:

I'm wiling to bet a large number of blacks roll their eyes at this **** too. But nice job lumping and stereotyping an entire race of people into victim culture.
I'm guessing you don't have many in your life to ask how they feel.

You'd be wrong.

As an army reservist I work with a larger cross section of minorities and socioeconomic backgrounds than probably anyone on this board. But by all means keep assuming anyone rolling their eyes at this stuff is maga trump supporter racist who's pissed they are losing power.
Know Your Enemy
AG
So through work you interact with a lot of non-white people? Yeah, exactly what I figured. Carry on.
DallasTeleAg
Know Your Enemy said:

So through work you interact with a lot of non-white people? Yeah, exactly what I figured. Carry on.
You mean black people.

Again... I don't see anyone hammering for more Latino representation. I also don't seem to get that feeling from Asians, either.

It's just silly. I'm sure the majority of us who post about it are just laughing and shaking our heads.
Teslag
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Work? I've served with many of them for years, and to deployments in combat zones together. Living together and sharing ****ters for a year at a time. Many are close friends. If you want to pretend it's a typical office setting go ahead.
bluefire579
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

You mean black people.

Again... I don't see anyone hammering for more Latino representation. I also don't seem to get that feeling from Asians, either.

It's just silly. I'm sure the majority of us who post about it are just laughing and shaking our heads.
There was literally a whole thing last month about James Franco being cast as Castro and John Leguizamo talking about Latino representation. And Ke Huy Quan has been very vocal about his ability to get roles beyond the token Asian, and how Crazy Rich Asians inspired him to return to acting in Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Those are just the most recent instances, but conversations certainly happen around their representation.
nai06
AG
The originalist crew always seems fixated on the skin color of the Little Mermaid but there is never a peep about anything else that deviates from the source material

-What happened to her 5 sisters who have been left out of future retellings?
-In the original, her voice wasn't stolen, the sea witch simply cut her tongue off
-The little mermaid is suppose to experience intense pain during her transformation, as though a double edged sword cut her in two
-Walking around on two feet was described as walking on 1000s of point or sharp knives to the point her feet sometimes bleed
-There isn't supposed to be a happily ever after. The prince marries someone else and the Little Mermaid starts to dissolve into sea foam because she has no soul. She transforms into an air spirit destined to serve and do good deeds for humans for 300 years

No one ever complains that those things have be changed or adapted in different ways. Most people's ire is that the ethnicity of the Little Mermaid (who is a fictional creature that doesn't exist) doesn't match what they think the character should look like.

Also worth pointing out if anything should be updated, it should be the Little Merman, not Mermaid. Hans Christian Anderson was at the very least bisexual and the Little Mermaid was an allegory of his unrequited love of another man.
jeffk
AG
Original versions of fairy tales were pretty grimm.

I think it was Rapunzel that had the prince falling out of the tower into thorn bushes and losing his eyes. and having to wander the woods blindly for years.
Duncan Idaho
I said this much earlier in the thread but I'd love a grimm cinematic universe done by Blumhouse
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I'd be down for that too. For some reason, we have a Golden Book of a bunch of the original versions of popular fairy tales. They're all super dark and violent and therefor it's of course my kids' favorite.
TCTTS
AG
All excellent points, and very well said.

Btw, I noticed you taking all of this up in the F16 thread on the same topic. What an absolute sh*t show, but props for wading through/challenging all that garbage.
fig96
AG
bluefire579 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

You mean black people.

There was literally a whole thing last month about James Franco being cast as Castro and John Leguizamo talking about Latino representation. And Ke Huy Quan has been very vocal about his ability to get roles beyond the token Asian, and how Crazy Rich Asians inspired him to return to acting in Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Those are just the most recent instances, but conversations certainly happen around their representation.
Shang Chi too.
nai06
AG
And while we're on the subject of casting, I think there is a missed opportunity with Ursula. Don't get me wrong, I think Melissa McCartney is great and will do well in the role. But I think a better choice would have been someone like drag queen Ginger Minj.

Given that the Disney character was visually based on the famous drag queen Divine, it's really a no brainer.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

I just can't get over how dumb and embarrassing this whole thing is…

I am personally very upset that a live action remake of a *******ized adaptation of a 150 year old fairytale about a mermaid set in a fantasy kingdom with a talking Jamaican crab friend is not adhering to the exact specifications of the original.

(Not to mention it makes perfect sense that an undersea race would have different skin tones than people who live on land.)
Faustus
nai06 said:

The originalist crew always seems fixated on the skin color of the Little Mermaid but there is never a peep about anything else that deviates from the source material
. . .
-The little mermaid is suppose to experience intense pain during her transformation, as though a double edged sword cut her in two
. . .
I imagine that seemed a little on the nose given her longing to be with the Prince.
Teslag
AG
TCTTS said:

All excellent points, and very well said.

Btw, I noticed you taking all of this up in the F16 thread on the same topic. What an absolute sh*t show, but props for wading through/challenging all that garbage.

Do you see f16 posters behind every dark shadow? Jeez dude
TCTTS
AG
Have you read that thread? In addition to all the usual bullsh*t, there's one guy referring to this as the end of western culture. It's equal parts bonkers/hilarious. How could you not be horrified/entertained by the sheer insanity of that place, and not want to talk about it like we do any show? It's the real "zoo," and provides endless fodder.
Duncan Idaho
I haven't read through that thread but has Zwarte Piet come up? I mean we are talking about black characters and dutch source material
TCTTS
AG
I don't remember seeing that, but who knows. You can't help glaze over from all the nonsense, so I very well could have missed it.
TCTTS
AG
It's like we live down the street from a carnival or a really poorly run state hospital. And there's not only constantly something to gawk at, but carnies or mental patients are always escaping and wondering into our yards, barking gibberish and sh*tting on our porches. All the while, there are one or two neighbors who are like, "Why are you so obsessed?!" And I'm standing in my driveway, incredulous, going, "How can you not be?!" As, like, a scene from Idiocracy plays out down the street… fireworks going off in every direction… AR15s being fired into the sky… crazy people in face paint angrily ranting about Hilary, civil war, groomers, and "the gays"… old men in matching "Let's Go Brandon" t-shirts picketing around a makeshift black mermaid manikin… you name it, if a hate-filled grievance can be expressed, in the most insanely comical, cliche way possible, it's happening. It's just pure, unhinged pandemonium, yet *I'm* the weirdo for going, "Are you guys seeing this?"
Duncan Idaho
You seem triggered.
TCTTS
AG
Carnies sh*tting on your porch will do that to you.
Faustus
Duncan Idaho said:

I haven't read through that thread but has Zwarte Piet come up? I mean we are talking about black characters and dutch source material
The thread took a swarthy turn pretty quickly. Does that count?
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

Carnies sh*tting on your porch will do that to you.

Well you live in California what'd you expect.
DallasTeleAg
Teslag said:

That's TCTTS's first response to any viewpoint he disagrees with. The poster is obviously an evil F16 poster. It's a standard way to try and just delegitimize the person and their opinions. Because, obviously every opinion he holds is right and righteous. Everyone else is a crazy, redneck idiot.
TCTTS
AG
Yep, you got it. That's not a vast over generalization at all. Especially when I've said at least 400 times on here that I don't disagree with a lot of opinions posted over there, rather it's the manner in which they're delivered. That, and as much as I'm apparently obsessed with them, you're still clearly obsessed with me, so let's call it even.
DallasTeleAg
Lol.... there's your standard, 'You're obsessed with me" schtick, again. What are you, 12?

You spam most of the threads on this board with your posts and twitter links. Is no one ever allowed to call you out on your bs? If they do, they're obsessed with you?

Haha... man, you have an issue with a need to be validated. I'm done. Please ignore me so I don't have to see the notification that you responded to me ever again. I will do you a favor and do the same.
Madmarttigan
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Teslag said:

That's TCTTS's first response to any viewpoint he disagrees with. The poster is obviously an evil F16 poster. It's a standard way to try and just delegitimize the person and their opinions. Because, obviously every opinion he holds is right and righteous. Everyone else is a crazy, redneck idiot.

If you look at the racist ridiculous SOB posters on this thread they do all have one thing in common on their profiles… so in this instance it ain't wrong.
tysker
AG
TCTTS said:

It's like we live down the street from a carnival or a really poorly run state hospital. And there's not only constantly something to gawk at, but carnies or mental patients are always escaping and wondering into our yards, barking gibberish and sh*tting on our porches. All the while, there are one or two neighbors who are like, "Why are you so obsessed?!" And I'm standing in my driveway, incredulous, going, "How can you not be?!" As, like, a scene from Idiocracy plays out down the street… fireworks going off in every direction… AR15s being fired into the sky… crazy people in face paint angrily ranting about Hilary, civil war, groomers, and "the gays"… old men in matching "Let's Go Brandon" t-shirts picketing around a makeshift black mermaid manikin… you name it, if a hate-filled grievance can be expressed, in the most insanely comical, cliche way possible, it's happening. It's just pure, unhinged pandemonium, yet *I'm* the weirdo for going, "Are you guys seeing this?"
Change Hilary to Guiliani, the "AR15s being fired into the sky" to "rats in the streets," and "Let's Go Brandon" to OWS or some Shepard Fairey design, and you basically have replicated my time in NYC. Damn I ****ing miss that place. At least was entertaining.

eta: the coney island mermaid parade is awesome and should not be missed if you're in town
TCTTS
AG
When someone constantly comes at me with the same bullsh*t, week after week after week, how else am I supposed to react? You're such a broken record, with your bad faith, copy-and-paste b*tching, that at this point I can only conclude that you have some weird obsession with the way I conduct myself on this board. Combined with the fact that you continually refer to the news I post as "spamming" this place with Twitter links only solidifies how petty you are. You constantly post your opinions in thread after thread, but then whenever I post mine, you throw a hissy fit if it's different from yours, accusing me of exactly what you yourself are doing. It's super weird, and endlessly annoying.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Yep, you got it. That's not a vast over generalization at all. Especially when I've said at least 400 times on here that I don't disagree with a lot of opinions posted over there, rather it's the manner in which they're delivered. That, and as much as I'm apparently obsessed with them, you're still clearly obsessed with me, so let's call it even.
Quote:

This is a vast over generalization. You literally called everyone who posts on F16 white trash.
nai06
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I think Zwarte Piet is more of a Netherlands thing. Hans Christian Anderson was from Denmark
Claude!
nai06 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I think Zwarte Piet is more of a Netherlands thing. Hans Christian Anderson was from Denmark
They all look the same over there.

Except for Zwarte Piet, I guess. He kind of sticks out.
nai06
AG
Claude! said:

nai06 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

They all look the same over there.

Except for Zwarte Piet, I guess. He kind of sticks out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.