*** Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live Action Remake) ***

42,342 Views | 445 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by GrayMatter
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you haven't watched any of the reaction videos to kids watching the trailer for the first time I strongly urge you to do so. It really makes it hit home how important this is for kids to see themselves represented on screen.
TCTTS
AG
When "But A.I.!" is your only comeback, I assume we're done here.
BAP Enthusiast
Know Your Enemy said:

If you haven't watched any of the reaction videos to kids watching the trailer for the first time I strongly urge you to do so. It really makes it hit home how important this is for kids to see themselves represented on screen.

So are you saying there is no equivalent black fairy tale from Africa? There are numerous stories they could choose from that are about African folklore.
The Debt
THIS IS ABOUT REPRESENTATION!

*proceeds to ignore mythos, IP, brand, iconic look to pander to 6.5% of the US*

Imagine thinking adding blackface to characters is virtuous.
BAP Enthusiast
TCTTS said:

When "But A.I.!" Is your only comeback, I assume we're done here.

Sounds like someone doesn't like the implications of it. The two accounts mentioned got banned because so many people like you got so angry about it.
TCTTS
AG
Sure, but it would end up being some obscure thing buried on Netflix. The entire point is that it's a known, established character in a massive Disney movie. This isn't rocket science, and it truly blows my mind that you guys can't see why that matters or continue to care this much.
Velvet Jones
AG
If you can't get over that, maybe you should see the quotes from a certain Dune cosplayer who thinks feral thugs beating small children then kicking them repeatedly in the face is just fine and dandy.

But God forbid someone say that trans characters shouldn't be portrayed by heterosexual actors!

The Debt
TCTTS said:

Sure, but it would end up being some obscure thing buried on Netflix. The entire point is that it's a known, established character in a massive Disney movie. This isn't rocket science, and it truly blows my mind that you guys can't see why that matters or continue to care this much.
Your guiding light is some intersectional special Olympics. "Its its its just so wonderful to have a black Ariel, I just cant...even...so wonderful. It was magical! Just like Annie!"
jeffk
AG
Some of y'all need therapy.
BAP Enthusiast
TCTTS said:

So what you're saying is that nothing blacks have ever made from a literature standpoint is important enough to warrant any attention or effort?

Sounds like many blacks on Twitter disagree with you:

Know Your Enemy
AG
Some of you are going to lose it when you realize that the main character in your fancy god book wasn't white yet he's been white washed for hundreds of years if not thousands.
BAP Enthusiast
The Debt said:

TCTTS said:

Your guiding light is some intersectional special Olympics. "Its its its just so wonderful to have a black Ariel, I just cant...even...so wonderful. It was magical! Just like Annie!"

We need representation!
Know Your Enemy
AG
The Debt said:

Imagine thinking movies are made only for citizens of the US.
The Debt
BAP Enthusiast said:

The Debt said:

TCTTS said:

We need representation!

The Debt
Know Your Enemy said:

The Debt said:

Imagine thinking movies are made only for citizens of the US.
You think this was made for Africans?

What drugs are you on?
tysker
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Their reactions are how I feel when watching Married With Children reruns
TCTTS
AG
Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Of course black culture has produced an abundance of "worthy" material, and I didn't even remotely suggest that they haven't. That's such a bad faith argument. Sure, certain people in their community are going to disagree with choices like this, and that's their prerogative. They're not a monolithic culture. But you can't deny the results in the video on the previous page. Clearly, there are many, many people who are positively affected by things like this. And I simply choose to express empathy for them instead of being a grown ass weirdo complaining about it on the internet.
Madmarttigan
AG
Oh the struggles of a white man in America, just too much to bear
The Debt
Quote:

Clearly, there are many, many people who are positively affected by things like this.

All but conceded this decision is about feelings of little girls. Mind you not girls of the dominant ethnicity, not even the largest minority anymore....but the third largest ethnicity in the US.

When you make a film for a specifically for niche audience, I guess you you wont be surprised if no one sees it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I don't feel like catching another ban right now so I'll leave the poor oppressed majority posters to do their thing here while I return to my world.
TCTTS
AG
The "dominant ethnicity." Have you ever been capable of screening anything you type before hitting post?

Also, The Little Mermaid trailer earned 104 million views in its first 48 hours online…

Quote:

… above those of all recent Disney live-action titles, including "Cruella" (68 million views), "Beauty and the Beast" (94 million views), "Alladin" (74 million views) and "Maleficent 2" (62 million views). Worldwide views are compiled from YouTube, Twitter, Snapchat, TikTok and Instagram."

So, I'm sorry that it's likely going to be a massive success, just like Ukraine's war effort. I know both irk you in equal measure.
BAP Enthusiast
TCTTS said:

Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Of course black culture has produced an abundance of "worthy" material, and I didn't even remotely suggest that they haven't. That's such a bad faith argument. Sure, certain people in their community are going to disagree with choices like this, and that's their prerogative. They're not a monolithic culture. But you can't deny the results in the video on the previous page. Clearly, there are many, many people who are positively affected by things like this. And I simply choose to express empathy for them instead of being a grown ass weirdo complaining about it on the internet.

You said it would be buried on Netflix, that clearly means no one would care about it in your opinion. These are your words not mine.

This is a story based upon European folklore.

As for what people want, well…

It's currently being ratioed on YouTube.
A is A
AG
TCTTS said:

The "dominant ethnicity." Have you ever been capable of screening anything you type before hitting post?

Also, The Little Mermaid trailer earned 104 million views in its first 48 hours online…

Quote:

… above those of all recent Disney live-action titles, including "Cruella" (68 million views), "Beauty and the Beast" (94 million views), "Alladin" (74 million views) and "Maleficent 2" (62 million views). Worldwide views are compiled from YouTube, Twitter, Snapchat, TikTok and Instagram."

So, I'm sorry that it's likely going to be massive success, just like Ukrain's war effort. I know both will irk you in equal measure.
What do you classify as massive success?

You're in the business. Give us your criteria for that threshold to be reached. Would love to re-visit this thread.

What are the numbers you think it has to reach both US and Globally?
Madmarttigan
AG
Trying to prove a point with the trolls of the internet that have review bombed for the dumbest things is hilariously stupid.
TCTTS
AG
Views are a far more reliable metric that likes/dislikes. You realize it's only being "ratioed" because of a massive push by hate groups, racists, trolls, etc right? That's not because of a bunch of little white girls.
TCTTS
AG
Beat me to it.
TCTTS
AG
Not ignoring you, but let me do some quick research when I get home. Will give you a number. Just want to see what comparable titles have done over the last few years first.
bluefire579
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Oh the struggles of a white man in America, just too much to bear
The most oppressed group of all
amercer
AG
Everyone knows mermaids aren't real right? And imaginary things can be whatever the creators want them to be?
imjustsayin
AG
I hate that the discussion of this movie is centering around who is cast. If the music is good, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
So wait, does the non white ariel look hoyt
TCTTS
AG
A is A said:

TCTTS said:

Quote:

So, I'm sorry that it's likely going to be massive success, just like Ukrain's war effort. I know both will irk you in equal measure.
What do you classify as massive success?

You're in the business. Give us your criteria for that threshold to be reached. Would love to re-visit this thread.

What are the numbers you think it has to reach both US and Globally?

All theatrically released Disney live-action remakes...

DOMESTIC OPENING WEEKEND

$191.8M = The Lion King (2019)
$174.8M = Beauty and the Beast (2017)
$116.1M = Alice in Wonderland (2010)
$103.3M = The Jungle Book (2016)
$091.5M = Aladdin (2019)
$069.4M = Maleficent (2014)
$067.9M = Cinderella (2015)
$045.9M = Dumbo (2019)
$036.9M = Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)
$026.8M = Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
$024.6M = Christopher Robin (2018)
$021.5M = Cruella (2021)

WORLDWIDE TOTAL

$1.65B = The Lion King (2019)
$1.27B = Beauty and the Beast (2017)
$1.04B = Aladdin (2019)
$1.02B = Alice in Wonderland (2010)
$953M = The Jungle Book (2016)
$758M = Maleficent (2014)
$542M = Cinderella (2015)
$498M = Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)
$353M = Dumbo (2019)
$276M = Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
$226M = Cruella (2021)
$197M = Christopher Robin (2018)

Given those numbers, I'd say The Little Mermaid - releasing Memorial Day Weekend - definitely performs above Maleficent ($69.4M), but below Beauty and the Beast ($174.8M), coming in somewhere around $90M-$110M opening weekend. And then performs above Maleficent ($758M), but below Aladdin ($1.04B), coming in somewhere around $800M-$1B worldwide. Resulting in a "massive success" either way. Of course, it also has the potential to blow any of those numbers out of the water (no pun intended).
tysker
AG
Wait until they find out Ursula is being played by Steve Bannon
Teslag
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

I can't wait to see the one where white kids see the next Black Panther cast with a white actor
Saxsoon
AG
Teslag said:

Know Your Enemy said:

I can't wait to see the one where white kids see the next Black Panther cast with a white actor
I would prefer a trump deepfaked Ursala voiced by Peter Serafinowicz

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.