*** Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live Action Remake) ***

42,337 Views | 445 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by GrayMatter
Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BMX Bandit said:

TRIGGER WARNING

Live version of little mermaid on ABC tonight had black Ursula & half Hawaiian half Puerto Rican Ariel

I am outraged. My Ariel is half Samoan, half Puerto Rican and nothing else.
Gigem314
AG
BMX Bandit said:

TRIGGER WARNING

Live version of little mermaid on ABC tonight had black Ursula & half Hawaiian half Puerto Rican Ariel
The real triggering will come from millennial husbands dealing with wives gushing over Uncle Jesse as the chef.
jr15aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

But what is your problem with the casting? Why the issue with her?

My thoughts...

Because lots of people tend to be very logical in how they view certain things. No pun intended, it's very black and white for them. Ariel was a fair skinned red head. Sebastian was a red crab, and Flounder was a blue & yellow fish.

There are also lots of people who are more creative and artistic, they can see beauty in chaos. In this case, they see Ariel looking different as exciting and refreshing.

"Isn't this nice?" "No, that's now how it's suppose to be!" "But isn't this better?" "No, change it back!"

Neither side will ever, ever ever, agree with the other on stuff like this. We simply aren't wired the same. In a perfect world we would all just laugh and say, 'man you're weird', and smile as we agree to disagree. Or we could take to twitter and call each other evil, racists, virtue signalers, etc... because that's working so well for us!
The Collective
AG
Why can't a white dude play Sebastian?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
They should just hire a real crab, record him doing crab noises, then use auto tune to make it sound like it's English. Otherwise it's specie-est
Gigem314
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

They should just hire a real crab, record him doing crab noises, then use auto tune to make it sound like it's English. Otherwise it's specie-est
That might be Shaggy's next album.
PatAg
AG
As long as you have steel drums
Olsen
AG
Post removed:
by user
The Collective
AG
third coast.. said:

Hyphenated names.....even worse on young men.

This might be my favorite thread on this board right now.
Redstone
AG
Redstone
AG
Halle Bailey is amazing, and I'm really happy to see Diverse casting. Disney and Disney+ are leading the way on BIPOC Representation, and other streaming services need to finally take note.
Redstone
AG
Looking forward to the new characters, especially Queen Selina, Karina, and Perla.
Vince Blake
They should have her sing WAP.

You know, because she's in the ocean.
Duncan Idaho
Vince Blake said:

They should have her sing WAP.

You know, because she's in the ocean.

Especially true since my wife tells me that both are fantasy #benshapiro
The Collective
AG
So, maybe seeing it in live action confuses me more. How does she sing underwater?

And yes... this is the one thing bothering me in a movie about a mermaid falling in love with a human and our way of life so much that she is willing to wager her amazing singing voice to a squid witch.
Duncan Idaho
The same way SpongeBob can have a campfire
Whos Juan
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Cicy9OAA4eT
BAP Enthusiast
coconutED said:

This isn't the first time a black actress was cast to play a character with iconic bright red hair.

Now, granted, everybody in that show looked hideous, and canonically, Starfire is an alien with orange/bronze skin, so the situation is a little different here. And yes, the inevitable backlash from Teen Titans fans was labeled "racist" by the usual suspects.

Almost every single red haired character from a fictional story has been recast as black in the movie.

Regardless it doesn't matter, AI will fix these problems real quick.

The Debt
The Porkchop Express
I can name 6 of those characters, so I'm going to choose to be 33.3333% repeating offended.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
bluefire579
AG
You do realize that the picture is of Josie who was played by Rachel Leigh Cook, and that Rosario Dawson (pictured) played the bassist, who was indeed black in the cartoon, right?
Duncan Idaho
The Porkchop Express said:

I can name 6 of those characters, so I'm going to choose to be 33.3333% repeating offended.

After knowing which posters are offended by this, I am fully supportive of this trend and hope it continues
The Porkchop Express
WHo is the guy above April O'Neil from TMNT? Someone from He-Man/She-Ra?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
i is smart
AG
I don't care about the cast, but I hope we get some funny memes out of this movie.
The Debt
Duncan Idaho said:

The Porkchop Express said:

After knowing which posters are offended by this, I am fully supportive of this trend and hope it continues

Who is offended? We are laughing.
TCTTS
AG
The Debt said:

Imagine, for a moment, being a grown, adult man, and posting something like this out of genuine grievance/concern to a public message board.

Image complaining that the lead character of a cartoon made *specifically* for little girls is now a different race than she was in the source material.

Imagine letting that affect your mood or your life in any way, shape, or form.

Imagine how many things had to go wrong, throughout the course of your existence, for you to arrive at such a sad low point.

Than again, this is the same person who I've seen act as a Putin apologist time and again, throughout the Ukraine war, so nothing's surprising, I guess.
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah I look at this thread and have to seriously wonder WGAF about who is cast in this especially since we are predominantly abunch of middle aged dudes
Duncan Idaho
Man that looks nothing like Cory Booker's girlfriend.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Yeah I look at this thread and have to seriously wonder WGAF about who is cast in this especially since we are predominantly abunch of middle aged dudes
I could answer that question but the truth tends to get me banned in situations like this.
TCTTS
AG
I mean, really, imagine being a grown ass, curmudgeon old man, thinking that your indignation over a choice made in a children's cartoon trumps what these girls are feeling in this moment. Seriously, what the hell has to be wrong with you to publicly b*tch about something like this?

TCTTS
AG
I just can't get over how dumb and embarrassing this whole thing is…

Redstone
AG
Disney is leading the way with BIPOC Representation, exactly as I detailed in recent discussions about upcoming releases. Several actors have discussed how entertainment can break down barriers and help to end white supremacy, including Billy Porter, which I've also detailed.
BAP Enthusiast
TCTTS said:

The Debt said:

Imagine, for a moment, being a grown, adult man, and posting something like this out of genuine grievance/concern to a public message board.

Image complaining that the lead character of a cartoon made *specifically* for little girls is now a different race than she was in the source material.

Imagine letting that affect your mood or your life in any way, shape, or form.

Imagine how many things had to go wrong, throughout the course of your existence, for you to arrive at such a sad low point.

Than again, this is the same person who I've seen act as a Putin apologist time and again, throughout the Ukraine war, so nothing's surprising, I guess.

Imagine thinking we're doing anything but laughing at this whole situation. That a guy, with an AI program can correct this for the entire movie within a single day, is making your side seethe so hard is hilarious to us.

AI used in this manner will destroy this kind of stuff, I can guarantee it. Oh sure they will send DMCA style takedowns but this basically falls under parody and fair use. Also, these AI programs are getting easier and easier to for normal people to use.

Good luck in the future with this stuff, you're going to see it happen constantly. AI is already in the process of obliterating small time artists. Once it graduates to video and it becomes trivial for anyone to do it, then lmao.
bluefire579
AG
TCTTS said:

I just can't get over how dumb and embarrassing this whole thing is…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.