*** Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live Action Remake) ***

42,361 Views | 445 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by GrayMatter
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Speaking of fish friends, I'm definitely boycotting if Flounder isn't an actual flounder
Bruce Almighty
AG
powerbelly said:

It's pretty cold up near Denmark, they probably would have a nice layer of blubber.

They should have cast Lizzo.
ABATTBQ11
AG
bluefire579 said:

Speaking of fish friends, I'm definitely boycotting if Flounder isn't an actual flounder

He never was...

ETA He's a royal angelfish

Flounder are flat fish with both eyes on side of their face.
DallasTeleAg
But it's his name, not his species.

Jack White isn't a black man.
bluefire579
AG
MEEN Ag 05
AG
powerbelly said:

It's pretty cold up near Denmark, they probably would have a nice layer of blubber.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MEEN Ag 05 said:

powerbelly said:

I did NOT give you permission to post my picture. MODS BAN HIM!
ATM9000
AG
I wonder if people would be outraged if Disney re-made The Little Mermaid but it was done similar to The Wiz is to The Wizard of Oz.
DallasTeleAg
Leave it to the Critical Drinker to be able to articulate what I cannot:

BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
Can we also complain about Johnny Depp playing Tonto? Or John Wayne playing Genghis Khan - a real historical figure?

Found this after I made this post: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/26-times-white-actors-played-people-of-color-and-no-one-really-gave-a-sht_n_56cf57e2e4b0bf0dab313ffc
Not a Bot
AG
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Oh no. Not this thread again
Madmarttigan
AG
I can't wait for the black tinker bell rage
Sea Speed
AG
Tha trailer looked terrible. The acting seemed extremely hollow and cgi was awful. That did not look like it was made up to Disney's standards
C@LAg
Sea Speed said:

Tha trailer looked terrible. The acting seemed extremely hollow and cgi was awful. That did not look like it was made up to Disney's standards
looked on par with the recent Marvel crapitalooza

disney sucks at FX these days..
Madmarttigan
AG
I definitely noticed spotty CGI in Dr. Strange and in Wakanda Forever.

I'm not usually picky about such things but I was really shocked when watching a marvel movie.
The Porkchop Express
The Disney remakes that have really been spectacular, which for me are Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King - have combined spectacular talent with people who clearly love the original work and are targeted at the audience that enjoys the wonder and the music.

I've watched the new version of Beauty and the Beast with my kids probably 20 times. It has obscene levels of talent, beautiful versions of the songs with a couple of beautiful new additions, and you can tell the people that made it really care about the original - from the inclusion of Celine Dion at the end, the great score at the beginning, and the gorgeous end credits, which inspired the credits on Endgame.

The Lion King, I've only seen once, but not because it wasn't great, but because we went to see it as a distraction on the day our dog died tragically from a tumor nobody knew she had. But it checks all the same boxes on the hit list - the cast, the songs, the love for the original. Not surprising those two movies both cleared $500 million domestic and $1.6 billion and $1.2 billion (TLK made $1.6) at the box office worldwide.

A lot of people liked Aladdin, and it also made $1 billion WW and $355m domestic, but for me it was a stumble. Will Smith was fine as the genie, but he was trying to do a version of probably the most iconic character in DIsney history with Robin Williams. The rest of the cast was not known and the movie suffered for it.

The Cinderella movie that kicked this whole movement off suffered similarly. One big star - and now I can't remember what Bellatrix LeStrange's real name is - as the fairy godmother, and she was really good, but nobody else was a star - no offense Robb Stark. And very little music compared to the other movies since it's from a different era.

I don't know Halle Bailey's work but she's very pretty and she has a knockout voice. I don't know who the dude is who is Prince Eric, but he's just window dressing. It's got Melissa McCarthy as Ursula, which no offense is probably the role she was born to play, Javier Bardem as Trition, which is just like having Kevin Kline be the dad in BATB - big-time actor in a small pivotal role, the very popular Awkwafina in a voice role, and Lin Manuel Miranda coming in for a couple of new songs.

It comes out the Friday before Memorial Day, 3 weeks after GOTG3, and a week after Fast X. Into the Spider-Verse is about the only other big ticket movie coming out in its wheel house, and it's debatable to call that a family movie considering Spider-Man got murdered in the opening 2-3 minutes of the original.

It's the big-ticket family movie for the summer. It looks great and it's going to slay at the box office.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
OnlyForNow
AG
If the girl can sing, it'll be good.
TJaggie14
AG
https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/box-office-the-little-mermaid-opening-weekend-1235626708/

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
I didn't really like it. My wife and girls wanted to see it so I took them.

The CGI was distractingly bad. Flounder, Scuttle and Sebastian due to them being live action, are unable to really show any emotion because of the live action, so it just makes it weird. Awkwafina just does the same voice she always does which sounds like a 5 pack a day smoker sucking helium. Can barely understand Javier as triton due to his his accent being so thick. It sounded like he was saying half his lines with peanut butter in his mouth.

Some high points. McCarthy does great. Ariel can sing well. Follows closely the original movie.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

The CGI was distractingly bad. Flounder, Scuttle and Sebastian due to them being live action, are unable to really show any emotion because of the live action, so it just makes it weird. Awkwafina just does the same voice she always does which sounds like a 5 pack a day smoker sucking helium. Can barely understand Javier as triton due to his his accent being so thick. It sounded like he was saying half his lines with peanut butter in his mouth.

Some high points. McCarthy does great. Ariel can sing well. Follows closely the original movie.

Tom Hanks in Elvis says hold my beer
-Ben There/R.C.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Took my daughter last night. She really enjoyed it but little mermaid was one of her favorites when she was little so she just sang along. No one really cared the theater was probably 10% full.

CGI underwater was distracting and produced some uncanny valley issues to me with the mermaids. Javier Bardems thick accent was very distracting.

The prince was generic and could've been any white gig off the street as far as I'm concerned. He could be a famous actor but I probably wouldn't know. The changes in ethnicity didn't bother me at all in most cases. It kinda makes sense that the daughters from the seven seas would look different. But because the queen is black and the prince is white there's some shoe horned in backstory about him being a rescued orphan from a ship wreck. Just seemed out of place honestly.

Halle has pipes and I thought did a really good job. As did Melissa McCarthy as Ursula. Rest of the movie was a giant old meh. Best part of the whole movie though was the margaritas I ordered.

Definitely not worth seeing unless your daughter makes you go.
jokershady
AG
gotta say im becoming a real fan of this guy.....here's his review of the film....

pretty hilarious

Petrino1
Agree with everyone else. Decent movie, not great. Halle Bailey has an awesome voice. She did a good job as Ariel, but something was missing from her performance. The special effects were subpar. Had some funny moments.
jeffk
AG
That dude's voice and cadence are like an auditory cheese grater.
Iowaggie
AG
For those commenting on the CGI quality, The Town podcast with Matthew Belloni explored how Disney/Marvel had some questionable employment practices when they've been outsourcing their CGI for about as cheap as possible (March 30th podcast). Compare this CGI to Avatar (for example) to see when they put the money in versus going the cheap route.

Marvel's bad CGI
Madmarttigan
AG
It's been pretty jarring at times I'm not used to noticing it with marvel but Dr strange and black panther cgi was very meh
ABATTBQ11
AG
So is this crushing the box office or is it going to be a flop? I've seen stuff in my news feed both ways. Some say it's doing really well and is amazing, but others have criticisms and point to a really bad international box office and say Disney might actually lose money. Which is it?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
ea1060 said:

Agree with everyone else. Decent movie, not great. Halle Bailey has an awesome voice. She did a good job as Ariel, but something was missing from her performance. The special effects were subpar. Had some funny moments.

Thus far, is there a live action remake that you prefer over the original Disney cartoon?

It does feel like all of the ones I've seen so far just lack something the cartoons had. They just don't feel as fun/endearing.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

ea1060 said:

Thus far, is there a live action remake that you prefer over the original Disney cartoon?

It does feel like all of the ones I've seen so far just lack something the cartoons had. They just don't feel as fun/endearing.

To answer the question, no. I haven't seen a live action remake I would even watch again.

I feel like the biggest issue facing them is that they're pulling from the golden and silver ages of Disney and remaking absolute classics. The reference point is already hard to top because of the combination of the quality of the originals and the nostalgia.

On top of that, they are going from animation, where a voice actor can be different from a singer, looks are not important, and any kind of animal or side creature can be anthropomorphized and expressive, to live action where you need actors/actresses who look the part, can actually act, and can sing and where you get these weird talking animals that have lost all facial expression. I think all of the live action movies have failed in one or more of these areas. Beauty and the a Beast was a load of meh because Emma Watson simply isn't a good singer. Honestly, Anna Kendrick should have been Belle or no one because she is the only actress who checks off every box. They also did a horrible job costuming. Aladdin had the same problem. Will Smith was ok, but he was no Robin Williams and the guy who played Aladdin was simply flat. I was shocked someone listened to that and okayed it instead of insisting on someone else lip syncing. To me they all seemed kind of like glorified, made for TV, Disney channel movies that got by on nostalgia and riding the coattails of their predecessors than big budget films.
Another Doug
AG
I haven't seen any of them, but doesn't really matter if they are better. they will keep making them as long as prove to be low risk/medium profit movies.
C@LAg
Another Doug said:

I haven't seen any of them, but doesn't really matter if they are better. they will keep making them as long as prove to be low risk/medium profit movies.
this one will at best break even. and it is still possible it loses money. TLM is one of Disney's crown jewels aimated movies.

It should be doing better.
cajunaggie08
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

ea1060 said:

To answer the question, no. I haven't seen a live action remake I would even watch again.

I feel like the biggest issue facing them is that they're pulling from the golden and silver ages of Disney and remaking absolute classics. The reference point is already hard to top because of the combination of the quality of the originals and the nostalgia.

On top of that, they are going from animation, where a voice actor can be different from a singer, looks are not important, and any kind of animal or side creature can be anthropomorphized and expressive, to live action where you need actors/actresses who look the part, can actually act, and can sing and where you get these weird talking animals that have lost all facial expression. I think all of the live action movies have failed in one or more of these areas. Beauty and the a Beast was a load of meh because Emma Watson simply isn't a good singer. Honestly, Anna Kendrick should have been Belle or no one because she is the only actress who checks off every box. They also did a horrible job costuming. Aladdin had the same problem. Will Smith was ok, but he was no Robin Williams and the guy who played Aladdin was simply flat. I was shocked someone listened to that and okayed it instead of insisting on someone else lip syncing. To me they all seemed kind of like glorified, made for TV, Disney channel movies that got by on nostalgia and riding the coattails of their predecessors than big budget films.
This reminds me of when disney went through a phase at the end of the golden era where they started releasing straight to VHS/DVD sequels of half of their catalogue. They were all crap but they must have been profitable since they kept making them. Same deal with the live action remakes. Why take a risk on a new franchise when you can still extract dollars from things you already have the rights to.
Teslag
AG

Quote:

Fans in mainland China have shared their objections to the movie online, mainly expressing disappointment with Bailey's casting.
On Douban, a popular Chinese movie review website, users scored the film just 5.1 out of 10.
On Maoyan, a Chinese movie review and box office tracking platform, one user said they were "puzzled" as "the 'Little Mermaid' in my mind is White." Several others made discriminatory comments about Bailey's skin color.
"The fairy tale that I grew up with has changed beyond recognition!" wrote another Maoyan user.

Going to be hard to rake in cash without the asian markets.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/06/media/little-mermaid-box-office-china-korea-intl-hnk/index.html
FincAg
AG
1994 - The Return of Jajar
1996 - Aladdin and the King of Thieves

Then they found their B movie groove in 1998 - 2003
Pocahontas II
The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Story
The Lion King II
Hercules: Zero to Hero
An Extremely Goofy Movie
Dinosaur
The Little Mermaind II
102 Dalmatians
Lady and Tramp II
Tarzan & Jane
101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure
The Jungle Book 2
Inspector Gadget 2
Stich! The Movie
George of the Jungle 2
The Lion King 1 1/2

But they didn't stop there because they opened up the printing machine again 2005 with another batch of sequels of II's and III's. Basically from 1998-2010 they just printed anything and everything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.