*** Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live Action Remake) ***

42,283 Views | 445 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by GrayMatter
Hagen95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think she is just a poor unfortunate soul trying to be part of someone else's world.
Satellite of Love
Hagen95 said:

[insert actually meme]

We all know Naruto didn't swim, he ninja walked on water.
And now somehow Naruto has entered the conversation......BTW, I started rewatching the series from the beginning. Such a great series.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Hagen95
AG
They have started re-releasing the manga in full color, if you want to read the source material, before it got culturally appropriated into an anime.
Satellite of Love
How does one culturally appropriate material that originates within the same culture???

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
The Debt
littlebitofhifi said:

What I'm really looking forward to is the reaction from all these same folks when the script is tweaked to lessen the very creepy "have the girl change everything about herself and leave her friends and family just to be with the dude" trope. The cartoon/fairy tale purists are seriously going to lose their minds over having a black feminist Ariel.

She doesnt leave her friends, sebastian and flounder join her.

It's funny how you can reduce the story to "leaving her life behind for a boy" when the theme of her monologue song was wanting to be "part of that world". She wants to be where the people are. She wants to dance, and run and be all day in the sun.

But because the story includes a boy it becomes a trope? ...as if love wasnt a virtue you want children to learn.
Hagen95
AG
The same way you triple stamp a double stamp.
Satellite of Love
Hagen95 said:

They have started re-releasing the manga in full color, if you want to read the source material, before it got culturally appropriated into an anime.
But where could I find the colorized version? Are they printing them in book form?

hph6203
AG
CJS4715 said:

hph6203 said:

Yup, this is the internet.

You say it negatively, but I believe this is peak Internet.
Just observing. Waiting patiently for it to devolve to manifesto level crazy.
Olsen
AG
Olsen
AG
Well, that ended quickly.

Zemira
AG
It's been a couple months since Ariel was cast and I'm still fairly pissed. I'm sure she is a great actress and singer, but the little mermaid isn't her movie.

My absolute favorite Disney movie was The Little Mermaid. I had it on video. I had bedding and curtains. And you should know we just didn't get a lot of "stuff" when I was kid. I was 6 when it came out so it made an impression.

Yes it's a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale, so it's Danish. I have the memory of the animated movie and if I see the live action one I just fear it's going to ruin the movie.

This is kind of like being hyped for the new Star Wars trilogy back in high school and getting 3 crappy prequels. I really want a good movie, but if the past is anything to go by I would be setting myself up for failure if I hope there is a good outcome.

Hollywood and Disney have remade done classics and unfortunately most of the time they flop.

Disney really wants my generation to have the nostalgia factor with these live action remakes, making half your target audience cringe from the start with casting just doesn't seem like a smart choice.

Hopefully the rest of the film is well cast.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Zemira said:

It's been a couple months since Ariel was cast and I'm still fairly pissed. I'm sure she is a great actress and singer, but the little mermaid isn't her movie.

My absolute favorite Disney movie was The Little Mermaid. I had it on video. I had bedding and curtains. And you should know we just didn't get a lot of "stuff" when I was kid. I was 6 when it came out so it made an impression.

Yes it's a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale, so it's Danish. I have the memory of the animated movie and if I see the live action one I just fear it's going to ruin the movie.

This is kind of like being hyped for the new Star Wars trilogy back in high school and getting 3 crappy prequels. I really want a good movie, but if the past is anything to go by I would be setting myself up for failure if I hope there is a good outcome.

Hollywood and Disney have remade done classics and unfortunately most of the time they flop.

Disney really wants my generation to have the nostalgia factor with these live action remakes, making half your target audience cringe from the start with casting just doesn't seem like a smart choice.

Hopefully the rest of the film is well cast.
Another Disney princess has some sage advice for you.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What is the huge issue with the Ariel casting? Did I miss something?
BMX Bandit
if you still mad about this (or really if you ever were) and the casting choice makes you cringe, you may have other issues in your life that are the source of all the angst.
Zemira
AG
I don't know that I am really mad or angsty. I'm just upset. It's more than Disney is rewriting part of my childhood.

I'm not going to write angry letters or stage a protest. I'm just going to ignore the movie when it comes out and hope it tanks so I'm not bombarded with the movie everywhere I go. Probably not healthy either, but if they think they can make the best product with this cast member, who am I to oppose them?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But what is your problem with the casting? Why the issue with her?
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Why be passive aggressive? Just flat out ask her why it bothers her the new little mermaid is black.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Because I don't know that that's the actual issue. That's why I'm asking.

Not being passive aggressive. Maybe optimistic.
Batzarro
AG
Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Why be passive aggressive? Just flat out ask her why it bothers her the new little mermaid is black.

We already talked about this. People think the red-head quality is an iconic part of the animated character and black people don't have red hair. To some people its not a big deal, to others it irks them.

In other news, the next Wolverine is going to be ethnically Chinese but played by Scarlett Johansson. J/K
Zemira
AG
Honestly it's not that she is black. It's the image of the red haired mermaid.

I can't explain exactly why it irks me, but it does. Maybe it's because im European descent and I have several red headed cousins. Call it cultural appropriation. I dunno but what's wrong with the original Disney telling of the fairy tale? Why is it wrong for me to be irritated that a classic needs a revamp?

Disney is just going for easy money instead of telling a new stories. Disney in is on my **** list, so this is just one more negative.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, I can honestly see/understand the complaints about the red hair, more so than the skin tone.

Though, they could still give a black character red hair, I suppose. I wonder if they'll do that.
The Collective
AG
Gingers need representation too, I suppose.
Quad Dog
AG
Red hair would make the most sense for a mermaid. Red light has the longest wavelength, and therefore the least energy. Because of this red light penetrates water the least out of any color. Below a certain depth, red is difficult to see because there isn't enough red light to reflect. Red hair would be a good way for a mermaid to hide from predators.
Dark skin would accomplish the same goal of low visibility at ocean depths.
Duncan Idaho
Zemira said:

Honestly it's not that she is black. It's the image of the red haired mermaid.

How many times do we have to cover this? She isnt black, she has a white mother, specifically scottish and German decent.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You know, there's always the option of ignoring the thing that's making you so angry.

My 2nd biggest passion behind Star Wars are the Dark Tower novels. The movie they made a couple years ago was by all accounts a train wreck. It existing has had zero effect on me loving the books, the graphic novels, or being super psyched about the forthcoming Amazon series.

They aren't rewriting your childhood. The movie you like exists and isn't going away.
Zemira
AG
Doh! When you can search your six year old memories and get a ton of joy out of rewatching The Little Mermaid every day, then get back to me how my opinion of wanting a red headed Ariel isn't valid.

Hell I wanted red hair for a few years because of the movie. It's an iconic feature.

If they cast a blond woman as Ariel I would be just as upset.
Olsen
AG
Ansel Elgort is a strong favorite to land the Prince Eric role since Harry Styles turned it down.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Olsen said:

Ansel Elgort is a strong favorite to land the Prince Eric role since Harry Styles turned it down.
Ansel?
He's so hot right now.
Zemira
AG
Olsen said:

Okay I'll allow that. Ansel is hot.

Dang I'm getting old. He's a baby at 25.
The Collective
AG
So, I guess I missed the news. No Zendaya as Ariel? That sucks.
Zemira
AG
CJS4715 said:

So, I guess I missed the news. No Zendaya as Ariel? That sucks.
Halle Bailey
The Collective
AG
Gotcha. Well, I don't even know who that is, so not much to say on it. I was still thinking Zendaya, and I liked her in The Greatest Showman.
coconutED
AG
This isn't the first time a black actress was cast to play a character with iconic bright red hair.

Now, granted, everybody in that show looked hideous, and canonically, Starfire is an alien with orange/bronze skin, so the situation is a little different here. And yes, the inevitable backlash from Teen Titans fans was labeled "racist" by the usual suspects.
Olsen
AG
BMX Bandit
TRIGGER WARNING

Live version of little mermaid on ABC tonight had black Ursula & half Hawaiian half Puerto Rican Ariel

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.