Fyre Fest debacle

113,313 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by St Hedwig Aggie
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please take your Trump talk to the political board!!!
boboguitar
AG
If you were born in the 90s or less than a few months from doing so, you are a millennial.
WestAustinAg
AG
cr0wbar said:

fml, I'm part of the worst generation the world has ever seen
That title definitely goes to the world's most narcissistic generation (any country/any time) - the baby boomers.

They grew up post WWII when the economy went on a decades long growth spurt. They had unbridled economic and educational opportunities and the government went out of its way from 1946 to today to curry their favor (and votes) by throwing enormous spending and government services at them. It continues today with Obama care which taxes young people disproportionately to pay for the boomers in the final chapter of their lives. Bush's prescription medicaid plan did the same. They are the hippy generation of the late 60's that never grew up and never doubted that the world revolved around them because Madison avenue focused all advertising their way.

They are the most selfish generation the US has ever known.
Stupe
S
ellebee said:

TresPuertas said:

Well, I've just found out that I hate myself.

Damn.

Well then you are probably more of a gen x then.
Brilliant.
Professor Frick
AG
cone said:

What about Sale of the Century?

Perfect. That's some non-millennial **** right there.

Although, I worry that waxing nostalgic about game shows from our childhood in and of itself borders on millennial activity....
cone
AG
if it makes you feel any better they have to use pills to make their ***** work
NColoradoAG
This thread really sucks now.
jokershady
AG
They were talking about this on Fox News just now. Can't tell who said what but most of the talking heads were making fun of all the idiots who went to this thing.

With regards to the lawsuit, one guy ended it by saying, "Give them $5 bucks and tell them to eat it. They made a mistake." (This was assuming they get their money back already).
Bobcat06
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

People my age (born in 88) were basically the generation that saw the world change during our childhood / adolescence. As kids, there was no cell phones, no internet, no smart phones.

Mid-to-late 90's is when the internet really started making its way into most homes, and cell phones became common, what, around 2001-ish?

When I drove up to college in 2006, I had a map of Texas with me.

Correct.

Which is why, imo, that 82-90 should have its own category. We are the hybrid class.

Because the kids below us have no idea, while we have an idea but were also thrust into technology as kids.

I didn't get a cell phone until after I was 16. But 2 years later when I graduated hs, basically every incoming freshman kid had a cell phone.
I refer to 80-88 as the Oregon Trail Generation.
cone
AG
no love for number munchers
beanbean
This thread was all fun and hilarious with all the Fyre Music Festival talk, then it got boring with the last 3 pages of "what age is a millennial" talk.
Bunk Moreland
brucoh said:

This thread was all fun and hilarious with all the Fyre Music Festival talk, then it got boring with the last 3 pages of "what age is a millennial" talk.

Spoken like a true all star. Guess we can't all be legends, man.
62strat
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

People my age (born in 88) were basically the generation that saw the world change during our childhood / adolescence. As kids, there was no cell phones, no internet, no smart phones.

Mid-to-late 90's is when the internet really started making its way into most homes, and cell phones became common, what, around 2001-ish?

When I drove up to college in 2006, I had a map of Texas with me.

Correct.

Which is why, imo, that 82-90 should have its own category. We are the hybrid class.

Because the kids below us have no idea, while we have an idea but were also thrust into technology as kids.

I didn't get a cell phone until after I was 16. But 2 years later when I graduated hs, basically every incoming freshman kid had a cell phone.
I refer to 80-88 as the Oregon Trail Generation.

I was born in 1980, so I had relatively no technology/internet until college. Obvious exception is a computer, which we had in the house during my middle school (macintosh) and high school (gateway) years, but no internet. My first experience with internet was dorm Ethernet in 98, so I got quite spoiled early on, and after moving into apartment dealt with the dreaded dial up for several years until cable internet or dsl became semi standard. I remember trying to figure out the difference between CD-R and CD-RW as a teenager hah.

I feel I'm the last generation to truly experience the majority of my underage years with little to no technology. (Leaving the whole gaming sector out of it). Just being born 2-3 years after me, you likely had much more exposure to internet in your high school years. I do know some people had internet at home during my hs years 94-98, but not many, especially in the first half.
Counterpoint
AG
Professor Frick said:

This is easy: if you remember the Wheel of Fortune prize round as consisting of a disembodied head floating around a set picking out dining room furniture and vacuum cleaners, you're not a millennial.
Man, those prizes were EXPENSIVE!
Stupe
S
brucoh said:

Maybe you should email the owners, complain about this thread, and request a full refund.
AggieSouth06
Help me fill in the blanks here because I'm missing something...

I too was having a little laugh at the expense of the "check out my follower count" crowd on this one. See my super-professional poster on page 2.

But at the end of the day, these are consumers that were promised specific services that they did not receive due to incompetence and fraud on the part of the providers. Why exactly are some of you under the impression that they aren't entitled to seek damages?

This thread is coming dangerously close to going from "these kids learned a valuable lesson about what matters" to "I'm bitter because I was never invited to any parties so I'm carrying that chip forever."
CorpsAg11
AG
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Why exactly are some of you under the impression that they aren't entitled to seek damages?

This thread is coming dangerously close to going from "these kids learned a valuable lesson about what matters" to "I'm bitter because I was never invited to any parties so I'm carrying that chip forever."
Are you fleshing out your next Jezebel column? There's nothing "dangerous" about a message board thread laughing at strangers.
AggieSouth06
Semantics. Straw man.

Laugh at whoever you want. I think it's laughable that people spend money on commemorative plates but if they get ripped off I still think they're entitled to seek damages.
Bobcat06
AG
Did I miss the post claiming Ja Rule & co weren't liable for negligence or fraud?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Semantics. Straw man.
This isn't the high school debate club and we're not distributing justice. If you don't like the jokes, flip the channel.
cone
AG
Mozart Paintings
AG
So when did you get back from fyre fest?
TresPuertas
AG
https://news.vice.com/story/fyre-fest-organizers-blew-all-their-money-months-early-on-models-planes-and-yachts

More info into where the money went (spoiler alert: the organizers are d-bags)
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Count Counterpoint said:

Professor Frick said:

This is easy: if you remember the Wheel of Fortune prize round as consisting of a disembodied head floating around a set picking out dining room furniture and vacuum cleaners, you're not a millennial.
Man, those prizes were EXPENSIVE!
Loved the ceramic dalmation they always had.

"...and I'll take the rest on a gift certificate."
TresPuertas
AG

Make sure you watch until the end.
Ag_07
AG
Per the NY Times, Fyre Fest now being investigate by the FBI

Quote:

The endeavor has also become the focus of a criminal investigation, with federal authorities looking into possible mail, wire and securities fraud, according to a source with knowledge of the matter, who was not authorized to discuss it. The investigation is being conducted by the United States attorney's office for the Southern District of New York and the F.B.I.; it is being overseen by a prosecutor assigned to the complex frauds and cybercrime unit. (A spokesman for the United States attorney's office and a spokeswoman for the F.B.I. declined to comment.)

Vernada
AG
NYT Article

Quote:

Ticket packages included the $400,000 "Artist's Palace," with four beds, eight V.I.P. tickets and dinner with one festival performer.

But there was no such island or palace. Fyre employees recalled higher-ups inventing extravagant accommodations just to see if people would buy them and some did, they said.

Quote:

Weeks before the festival, Fyre informed ticketholders that the event would be "cashless (and cardless)," and encouraged attendees to put up to $1,500 in advance on a digital Fyre Band to cover incidentals, according to one lawsuit.

Those wristbands were merely a stopgap solution to help the company's cash flow, according to two employees with knowledge of the accounts.

Quote:

Back in New York, at the early May meeting, rattled employees pressed Mr. McFarland and Ja Rule on a troubling thought: They had committed fraud.

"That's not fraud, that's not fraud," Ja Rule said, according to the recording. "False advertising, maybe not fraud."

Mr. McFarland stayed silent.
cone
AG
We're not going to white-collar resort prison. No, no, no. We're going to federal POUND ME IN THE ASS prison.
Jasomania
AG
The Fyre Festival is the gift that keeps on giving.

As the Fyre Fest keeps rolling out gems I'm of two minds. One, this whole thing is fascinating. As these stories come out it is mind blowing the incompetence and how much of a s*** show this winded up being. Second, the people who went / paid to go to Fyre Fest all seem like perfectly detestable people, however I am sympathetic. Sure there were warning signs that this was always gonna be a disaster but they were lied to and fraud-ed out of a service they paid for. As much as I love yuppies getting a comeuppance (and it has been fantastic) I hate companies committing fraud more.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
St_Jason said:

The Fyre Festival is the gift that keeps on giving.

As the Fyre Fest keeps rolling out gems I'm of two minds. One, this whole thing is fascinating. As these stories come out it is mind blowing the incompetence and how much of a s*** show this winded up being. Second, the people who went / paid to go to Fyre Fest all seem like perfectly detestable people, however I am sympathetic. Sure there were warning signs that this was always gonna be a disaster but they were lied to and fraud-ed out of a service they paid for. As much as I love yuppies getting a comeuppance (and it has been fantastic) I hate companies committing fraud more.

Why do you care how people spend their money?
AliasMan02
AG
I get where he's coming from. There was an elitism that was catered to through the whole thing. Seeing a bunch of people autofellate over how awesome they are, only to be done in by that same attitude, has the feel of Justice in a way.
oragator
Feds are Starting the roundup.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4656304/Fyre-Festival-organizer-charged-wire-fraud.html
Corporal Punishment
AG
I can't stop chuckling about all this.
rhutton125
AG
Finally got to catch up on this thread.

25 year old founder, good lord.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.