Fyre Fest debacle

110,753 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by West Point Aggie
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
brucoh said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

oragator said:

That idiotic promo should have been the first clue. Nothing about the bands, the accommodations, the foods, the perks, just models in bikinis for two minutes with cliches and catch phrases. Jean-Ralphio really may have put that together.
Anyone dumb enough to fall for the total wannabee-ness of it deserve what they got.
But the island was once owned by Pablo Escobar!
Haha, the organizers threw that in to ride the wave of the popularity of Nacros. I can picture the millenial converstation between a guy and some girl he's trying to impress. guy-"Yeah, this festival is going to held on an island that Pablo Esobar used to own." girl-"Who's that?" guy-"You know that show on Netflix called Narcos?...He's that main bad guy." girl- "Oh yeah, cool!"

The real irony would have been if it was once owned by an African prince.
UnderoosAg
AG
This is what happens when rappers play make believe for more than a 3 minute video.
VanZandt92
Strangest story of 2017 by far.
Furlock Bones
AG

Quote:

Treasure Hunt

A unique factor to Fyre festival is their exlusive tresure hunts. Each weekend there will be a treasure hunt. The hidden treasures will include jewerly, cash and other luxurious goods and rumour has it the combined prizes are worth more than $1 million. These treasure hunts add a new wave of excitement to your festival experience.
we need an update on how the treasure hunt went. this seems to be getting lost. could easily be $1mm worth of prizes out there.
AliasMan02
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Quote:

Treasure Hunt

A unique factor to Fyre festival is their exlusive tresure hunts. Each weekend there will be a treasure hunt. The hidden treasures will include jewerly, cash and other luxurious goods and rumour has it the combined prizes are worth more than $1 million. These treasure hunts add a new wave of excitement to your festival experience.
we need an update on how the treasure hunt went. this seems to be getting lost. could easily be $1mm worth of prizes out there.

Wait, EACH weekend? How long was this supposed to last?
powerbelly
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Quote:

Treasure Hunt

2 weekends
VanZandt92
Story keeps on giving
Ag Since 83
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Quote:

Treasure Hunt

You know some people went hoping to find some of Pablo's leftover stash buried somewhere
Al Bula
AG
Wait I thought it was Carlos Lehder who ran things in Norman's Kay/Bahamas. Not Escobar.

Did Escobar actively use the Bahamas himself or just his cronies?

In any event, it is just marketing peddled by dbags like ****** Jenner's kids.
Bunk Moreland
....Aaaaaaaaand here it comes.

http://ibankcoin.com/zeropointnow/2017/05/01/ja-rule-and-fyre-festival-slapped-with-100-million-lawsuit-for-multiple-counts-of-fraud/
Swarely
tk for tu juan
powerbelly51 said:

AliasMan02 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Quote:

Treasure Hunt

2 transformative weekends

FIFY
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I went to bed around 2 AM last night cause I could not get enough of this story. Absolute cluster**** and I love it. Somehow I missed it until last night.

I don't know which side to laugh harder at, honestly.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Only way this could be screwed up more, is if they had put the 12th Man Foundation in charge of ticketing.
Tobias Funke
AG
AP4P2020 said:

Did you post this with your RAZR?
CapCityAg89
AG
I'm not even sure if the site is real, but this story is hilarious ...

Quote:

Then something amazing happened: venues, bands, and people started contacting us and said they'd do anything to make this festival a reality and how they wanted to help. The support from the musical community has been overwhelming and we couldn't be more humbled or inspired by this experience. People were rooting for us after the worst day we've ever had as a company. After speaking with our potential partners, we have decided to add more seasoned event experts to the 2018 Fyre Festival, which will take place at a United States beach venue.

https://www.fyrefestival.com
cone
AG
event of the decade
Bunk Moreland
Any of you bros members of Ja and McFarland's Magnises card? You know, that "elite" credit card that does nothing except you pay $250 a year to feel like you have an exclusive card with perks?

Quote:

That carried over onto McFarland's next project, Magnises. It started out as a credit card, or more accurately, the appearance of a luxury credit card. Magnises was marketed toward millennials who wanted to experience the opulence of having an American Express black card before they actually had the money to qualify for one. So the company would copy the information off your standard Chase Freedom card and transfer it to a hefty, black Magnises card that came with additional perks, just like a regular credit card (minus the actual credit line).

Again, a middle-man selling a lifestyle, not an actual product. Magnises was referral-only, allowing cardholders to feel as though they were in a special, exclusive club, and that's eventually what it became. The company scrapped the card and turned it into an app, Magnises NOW, which combined the social networking of Spling and the perks of the Magnises card. Magnises NOW's 40,000 members could party at the Magnises club in New York, get concierge services (you know, like Yelp, before there was Yelp), and buy hard-to-get tickets for popular broadway shows (you know, like TicketMaster). They could even book getaways on Magnises Air to concerts at exotic destinations (you know, like Orbitz). All for a $250 annual fee.
In other words, Magnises was charging people a premium for things they could for the most part get elsewhere for free.
Except the company regularly failed to deliver

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/327907/who-is-billy-mcfarland-fyre-festival-co-founder-who-just-scammed-bunch-rich-kids/
West Point Aggie
AG
brucoh said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

oragator said:

That idiotic promo should have been the first clue. Nothing about the bands, the accommodations, the foods, the perks, just models in bikinis for two minutes with cliches and catch phrases. Jean-Ralphio really may have put that together.
Anyone dumb enough to fall for the total wannabee-ness of it deserve what they got.
But the island was once owned by Pablo Escobar!
Haha, the organizers threw that in to ride the wave of the popularity of Nacros. I can picture the millenial converstation between a guy and some girl he's trying to impress. guy-"Yeah, this festival is going to held on an island that Pablo Esobar used to own." girl-"Who's that?" guy-"You know that show on Netflix called Narcos?...He's that main bad guy." girl- "Oh yeah, cool!"

Sad...pathetic...and probably on point...
Vernada
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

....Aaaaaaaaand here it comes.

http://ibankcoin.com/zeropointnow/2017/05/01/ja-rule-and-fyre-festival-slapped-with-100-million-lawsuit-for-multiple-counts-of-fraud/

Quote:

Mr. McFarland and Mr. Atkins began personally reaching out to performers and celebrities in advance of the festival and warned them not to attendacknowledging the fact that the festival was outrageously underequipped and potentially dangerous for anyone in attendance.
mrsbeer05
AG
Quote:

From front page of Fyre Festival webiste: Their "explanation" of how this happened

They simply weren't ready for what happened next, or how big this thing would get. They started by making a website and launching a viral campaign. Ja helped book talent, and they had hundreds of local Bahamians join in the effort. Suddenly, they found themselves transforming a small island and trying to build a festival. Thousands of people wanted to come. They were excited, but then the roadblocks started popping up.

As amazing as the islands are, the infrastructure for a festival of this magnitude needed to be built from the ground up. So, we decided to literally attempt to build a city. We set up water and waste management, brought an ambulance from New York, and chartered 737 planes to shuttle our guests via 12 flights a day from Miami. We thought we were ready, but then everyone arrived.

The team was overwhelmed. The airport was jam packed. The buses couldn't handle the load. And the wind from rough weather took down half of the tents on the morning our guests were scheduled to arrive. This is an unacceptable guest experience and the Fyre team takes full responsibility for the issues that occurred.
Based on the found organizer notebook, this explanation has got to be a total work of fiction. They decided to build a city the day before the festival, yeah that would be hard.
Liquid Wrench
20ag07
Quote:

Seth Rogen @Sethrogen
This seems like a good time to mention the movie we are making with @thelonelyisland about a music festival that goes HORRIBLY WRONG.
West Point Aggie
AG
It's funny how many take shots at sensitive millennials...so many write-ups go out of their way to stick a dig here and there!

It's funny because it's largely true
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
West Point Aggie said:

It's funny how many take shots at sensitive millennials...so many write-ups go out of their way to stick a dig here and there!

He says as he buys more discount jewelry off of channel 14.
Bunk Moreland
West Point Aggie said:

To be an "old soul" millennial who finds those types of people and this ridiculous "scene" culture a crock of ****, it makes the feeling much better than being an old and watching from a distance.
Pahdz
Bunk Moreland said:

West Point Aggie said:

To be an "old soul" millennial who finds those types of people and this ridiculous "scene" culture a crock of ****, it makes the feeling much better than being an old and watching from a distance.
I was born in 1979 which is what I typically see as the cutoff point for being considered "millennial" and I find absolutely zero in common with these tools on the younger end of the millennial spectrum.
TresPuertas
AG
Wait a minute, so if I was born in 1980 I'm considered a millenial?
mrsbeer05
AG
I'm with you. These kids remind me more of the high school kids I taught than people my age. Although I'm sure there are 34 year old d-bags who went to this too.
mrsbeer05
AG
We're at the end of gen x and start of millennials
NColoradoAG
TresPuertas said:

Wait a minute, so if I was born in 1980 I'm considered a millenial?

Yes
TresPuertas
AG
Well, I've just found out that I hate myself.

Damn.

Bunk Moreland
If you were born in 1980 you're on the fringe. I see the true millennial culture starting around DOB 83/84, and ending around 90 or 91.

Everything beyond that is a generation that has only grown up with the Internet from before they knew anything different. So that's an entirely different generation.
Know Your Enemy
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Only way this could be screwed up more, is if they had put the 12th Man Foundation in charge of ticketing.
ellebee
TresPuertas said:

Well, I've just found out that I hate myself.

Damn.

Well then you are probably more of a gen x then.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.