Fyre Fest debacle

110,599 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by West Point Aggie
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ellebee said:

TresPuertas said:

Well, I've just found out that I hate myself.

Damn.

Well then you are probably more of a gen x then.
Can I be a gen x'er too? I'm on the tail end of the millennial generation being born in '90. Grew up on a ranch in the middle of nowhere and didn't have internet till I was a junior in high school.

At least everyone can agree that the generation that followed the millennials are way worse. Right?
ellebee
As long as you have the right amount of self loathing. The not having internet helps your case as well.
Farmer1906
AG
TresPuertas said:

Wait a minute, so if I was born in 1980 I'm considered a millenial?
Furlock Bones
AG
the 79-84 time window is the one where most people can't decide on the generation

Generation X. George Masnick, of the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies puts this generation in the timeframe of 1965 to 1984, in part because it's a neat 20-year period. He also calls it the "baby bust," mocking "[p]undits on Madison Avenue and in the media" that call it Generation X. Ha ha, tough luck.

Millennials. In October 2004, researchers Neil Howe and William Strauss called Millennials "the next great generation," which is funny. They define the group as "as those born in 1982 and approximately the 20 years thereafter." In 2012, they affixed the end point as 2004.
cr0wbar
AG
fml, I'm part of the worst generation the world has ever seen
CowtownAg06
AG
I've seen it defined as those who graduated HS in 2000 or later, however with all generations, there are some transition times that are hard to define. I was born in '83. We didn't get the internet at my house until I was a Jr or Sr in high school. Cell phones were mainly a thing you had in your car for emergencies. I think that people who were born even 3-5 years later had much different experiences due to the technological shifts that occurred during our childhoods. Fast forward another 5 years and kids who grew up with smart phones are even different.
amercer
AG
What ever happened to Generation Y?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm smack dab in the middle of the millenial generation.
cone
AG
Quote:

"old soul" millennial
vomit
Furlock Bones
AG
amercer said:

they have pretty much dumped that designation.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Furlock Bones said:

amercer said:

they have pretty much dumped that designation.
Y = millennial

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/Generation-Y.html

Quote:

Because children born during this time period have had constant access to technology (computers, cell phones) in their youth, they have required many employers to update their hiring strategy in order to incorporate updated forms of technology. Also called millennials, echo boomers, internet generation, iGen, net generation.
I mean, i had an Atari 2600, and later a Nintendo and SNES, but i never used a cell phone until 2001 (and i actually talked on it, didn't text all the time), never used the internet until my senior year of high school, and didn't have an email address until I enrolled at A&M. Hell, I filled out my A&M application (as well as many scholarship apps) on a typewriter.
cone
AG
Quote:

Hell, I filled out my A&M application (as well as many scholarship apps) on a typewriter.
same
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
People my age (born in 88) were basically the generation that saw the world change during our childhood / adolescence. As kids, there was no cell phones, no internet, no smart phones.

Mid-to-late 90's is when the internet really started making its way into most homes, and cell phones became common, what, around 2001-ish?

When I drove up to college in 2006, I had a map of Texas with me.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

People my age (born in 88) were basically the generation that saw the world change during our childhood / adolescence. As kids, there was no cell phones, no internet, no smart phones.

Mid-to-late 90's is when the internet really started making its way into most homes, and cell phones became common, what, around 2001-ish?

Correct.

Which is why, imo, that 82-90 should have its own category. We are the hybrid class.

Because the kids below us have no idea, while we have an idea but were also thrust into technology as kids.

I didn't get a cell phone until after I was 16. But 2 years later when I graduated hs, basically every incoming freshman kid had a cell phone.
BowSowy
AG
Ultimately, I don't think it really matters. Most of us are millennials by name but I'm sure most of us don't have that typical millennial mindset. So who cares if our DOB falls into the millennial range?
cone
AG
cuz the media loves to talk about you and you get to navel gaze 24/7
schmendeler
AG
I'm not a millennial
cone
AG
sure you are own it
schmendeler
cone
AG
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
schmendeler
JD Shellnut
AG
Interesting article. Being born in 79, I can definitely relate.
TexasAggie_02
AG
schmendeler said:

I'm not a millennial
that sounds like something a millennial would say...
Jasomania
AG
cr0wbar said:

fml, I'm part of the worst generation the world has ever seen
You must have misread the chart, that puts you as a Millennial not a Baby Boomer
boboguitar
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Mapquest print out for me in 2005.

Well, technically 2004 when I first visited college station, didn't need a map after that when I actually made the drive to go.
permabull
AG
wangus12
AG
What if I road my bike to an old video rental place because we didn't have blockbuster?

How about if your 1st video game console was a Super Nintendo?
Professor Frick
AG
This is easy: if you remember the Wheel of Fortune prize round as consisting of a disembodied head floating around a set picking out dining room furniture and vacuum cleaners, you're not a millennial.
schmendeler
AG
if your class year is "'12", then you're a millenial.
wangus12
AG
According to your little article, I'm Generation Y. Like I said earlier, didn't grew up with internet. Didn't have a cell phone till I went to college etc.
schmendeler
AG
wangus12 said:

According to your little article, I'm Generation Y. Like I said earlier, didn't grew up with internet. Didn't have a cell phone till I went to college etc.

Neither did people in Afghanistan
wangus12
AG
Not true. How do you think they post all of those Taliban and ISIS videos
schmendeler
AG
The got internet in 2012
Liquid Wrench
Behavior isn't a reliable indicator. I know people in their 40's and up who are more obsessed with social media than most college students. Probably has something to do with the fact that it isn't all novel and exciting to people who grew up with the internet.
cone
AG
What about Sale of the Century?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.