Fyre Fest debacle

111,520 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by West Point Aggie
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If that's a real guy/real quote...

so awesome
jokershady
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Stolen from Reddit

oh please dear 7 lb 6 oz baby Jesus let this be real
ham98
Was funny, is funny, and will be for a long time.
Democrat for Trump!
Objective Aggie
AG
Underrated plotlines:

Netflix version: guy taught himself to fly on MS Flight Simulator
HULU version: the pirate ship WTF
Fairview
AG
They said it in the Netflix doc but the real Fyre fest was the promotional shoot where 60 people were there. That would've been a fun weekend to be there.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Does the whole "Influencer" tag line annoy anybody else like it does me?
Bunk Moreland
easttexasaggie04 said:

Lol. we got a non-influencer here!
TresPuertas
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Everything about it annoys me. Even more annoying are people I know with 60 Instagram followers who try desperately to be influencers. It's payhetic
tysker
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Lol. we got a non-influencer here!
It only bugs the **** beta males bro
The Collective
AG
I don't see how merely being paid as a marketing ploy for something makes you liable when it goes poorly or even if the whole thing was a fraud. I doubt those models / social media ppl knew that, and I don't think they should be required to complete some kind of due diligence on events they market.
Bunk Moreland

easttexasaggie04
AG
I know several people who think they are "influencers" and are clearly not. What a skewed view of self importance.
HoustonAg2106
AG
CJS4715 said:

I don't see how merely being paid as a marketing ploy for something makes you liable when it goes poorly or even if the whole thing was a fraud. I doubt those models / social media ppl knew that, and I don't think they should be required to complete some kind of due diligence on events they market.
The problem that comes up with the instagram "influencers" is that it is not (or at least in this case was not) clear that they are merely a paid spokesman or just advertising for an event/product. That is something that I'm sure will change moving forward.
Corporal Punishment
AG
I can't imagine the levels of doochebaggery required to declare oneself an influencer of anything.
shaynew1
AG
I would happily declare myself an influencer if someone sends me a check for doing absolutely nothing
HoustonAg2106
AG
shaynew1 said:

I would happily declare myself an influencer if someone sends me a check for doing absolutely nothing
No kidding...the *****baggery comes from the idiots who went to this stupid thing just because they thought a few girls they follow on twitter would be there...
jenn96
AG
The people I really have contempt for are the influenced.
easttexasaggie04
AG
My favorite influencers are the ones who post videos of grandpas trying to ride the hoverboards.
Stupe
S
jenn96 said:

The people I really have contempt for are the influenced.
I don't have contempt for them, I laugh at them.

I have nothing against the "influencers", they have figured out ways to separate fools from their money.

The same as "life coaches".
aggie0959
I think where they crossed a line was the orange square thing. The first video was a straight employment situation, but the orange square made it seem they were investors in the company.
Scud Runner
Objective Aggie said:

Underrated plotlines:

Netflix version: guy taught himself to fly on MS Flight Simulator
HULU version: the pirate ship WTF

Maybe the biggest WTF for me (MS Flight). If that guy is still alive he's my hero.
Gigem314
AG
I completely forgot about this.

Holy crap, please tell me they're making a movie.

"Let's just do it and be legends, man."
The Collective
AG
Might be shocking, but with the right setup, flight simulator isn't a bad way to learn how to fly a plane. Hell, you can spend less than 1k and basically get a mock cessna cockpit that works with the game.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Fairview
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

That is funny. I just busted out laughing on a plane.
Urban Ag
AG
ok not going to read 13 pages.

Is the Netflix movie worth the watch? It's one of those that I can't tell from the commercial if it a pseudo documentary or a mockumentary.
Bunk Moreland
Urban Ag said:

Is the Netflix movie worth the watch? It's one of those that I can't tell from the commercial if it a pseudo documentary or a mockumentary.

Fine. Just start on page 3 and read from there. By the time you get back to this post you'll know if you need to watch.
caddy
The Netflix movie is definitely worth the watch.
WES2006AG
AG
Urban Ag said:

the fact that you can't tell whether the doc is real or a mockumentary just goes to show how bizarre and entertaining this whole incident is.

William K. Klingaman
Watched an hour, had to leave, said "holy s***" at least 100 times in that hour. What a total cluster f.
Stupe
S
Urban Ag said:

With your desire to do research, you would be a great asset to everyone involved in organizing that project.

And the cultural fit would be perfect.
J.P. 03
AG
Netflix doc >>> Hulu doc

Definitely watch the Netflix one first to get a much better overview of the events that happened and better detail. It's also faster-paced and much more entertaining than the Hulu one, IMO.

The Hulu doc is a decent complement because there are interviews with some new people, including Billy. Those clips are pretty good, and i felt like they did a better job digging into the actual financial crimes that he committed.

But if you only have time for one, watch Netflix.
Sex Panther
AG
Urban Ag said:

You should. This is one of my favorite threads of all time. Watching it unfurl in real-time was incredible.
dave94
AG
Finally watched the Netflix doc last night. WOW, I followed along via Twitter during the actual event, but had no idea how bad it really was.

Insane.
Urban Ag
AG
Sex Panther said:

Urban Ag said:

You should. This is one of my favorite threads of all time. Watching it unfurl in real-time was incredible.
Thanks SP.

I've only seen snippets in the news of the lawsuits flying around. We'll check it out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.