Fyre Fest debacle

110,603 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by West Point Aggie
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The problem wasn't the logisitics, or the food, or the music, or the rain. The problem was they had no money.

It was a Ponzi scheme. He might as well have been sending out emails as a Nigerian prince. He went to investors and used his botched numbers to get funding for things he didn't do.

He was spending other people's money to party it up and the festival was just a tool that allowed him to do it undercover until obviously his cover was blown.
Objective Aggie
AG
ea1060 said:

As previously mentioned in this thread: Where was Ja Rule the day of the festival?? The guy was showing up everywhere in the documentary, then disappears the day of the festival.

I was wondering the same thing???
Celee04
AG
That's exactly what I was thinking. I mean did they even ever come up with a budget? Their avg ticket price with airfare was $1,500... even if they sold out with 10,000 people that would have only been 15 Mil. I'd think this thing would have cost at least 40-50 Mil to provide any semblance of what they advertised.
Objective Aggie
AG
Celee04 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. I mean did they even ever come up with a budget? Their avg ticket price with airfare was $1,500... even if they sold out with 10,000 people that would have only been 15 Mil. I'd think this thing would have cost at least 40-50 Mil to provide any semblance of what they advertised.
"Yo, we got a lot of smart people to figure that out. Numbers and sh!#. That's all covered. Let's go through a big ass party!"
Counterpoint
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Celee04 said:

"Yo, we got a lot of smart people to figure that out. Numbers and sh!#. That's all covered. Let's go through a big ass party!"
#YOLO!
Objective Aggie
AG
Redstone
AG
Ryen
Celee04 said:

add ons, bro. VIP packages and sh.
ATM9000
AG
Ag_07 said:

The problem wasn't the logisitics, or the food, or the music, or the rain. The problem was they had no money.

It was a Ponzi scheme. He might as well have been sending out emails as a Nigerian prince. He went to investors and used his botched numbers to get funding for things he didn't do.

He was spending other people's money to party it up and the festival was just a tool that allowed him to do it undercover until obviously his cover was blown.

So what you are actually saying was the problem wasn't lack of money.., the problem was it was a total scam.
Petrino1
I wish they would've made a documentary about the model shoot and their parties on the island. Seemed pretty wild.
Drawkcab
First I ever heard of this was last night when I watched the Netflix documentary. How had I not heard about it at the time? Seems like it was a huge deal.

Hilarious how it all went down.
Tobias Funke
AG
Drawkcab said:

First I ever heard of this was last night when I watched the Netflix documentary. How had I not heard about it at the time? Seems like it was a huge deal.

Hilarious how it all went down.

I basically did 0 minutes of work the day it went down. It was amazing to track.
Philo B 93
What I love about this debacle is now telling other Olds that I'm going to Frye Fest '19. Their admiration is awesome. At least I have all the details, although none of them know who Ja Rule or Kendall Jenner is. Their kids will fill them in on the joke when they convey my story.
Carlo4
AG
Don't EVER ask me to take one for the team...
boy09
AG
Ag_07 said:

You're right, but the logistics of hosting that many people on an undeveloped island appeared to be a very big problem from the beginning. Even if they did have enough money to pay for it all.
Bunk Moreland
When some moron shows up to your island that has zero infrastructure and says "hey yo, we just sold 10,000 tickets to put on a concert here in 4 months. I'm cash rich so I'll be needing to pay for a bunch of **** to get it set up. Where are all the villas at?"

the dude who came up with the cruise ship idea to house them clearly had the best bad idea. In fact, it should have just been spun into a festival on a cruise ship in the bahamas and then you have all the different types of luxury cabins and you can still let people jetski or go on little runs to the random islands. Problem solved.
gigemJTH12
AG
how about the asian guy who was admitting to trashing everyone elses stuff?

what a POS
M.C. Swag
AG
lol i didn't even understand the logistics of that let alone the thought stream that led him to willingly tell that story on air.
gigemJTH12
AG
exactly! what the hell did that even accomplish
boy09
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

the dude who came up with the cruise ship idea to house them clearly had the best bad idea. In fact, it should have just been spun into a festival on a cruise ship in the bahamas and then you have all the different types of luxury cabins and you can still let people jetski or go on little runs to the random islands. Problem solved.
It was the best idea in a sea of terrible ideas. And he got let go for it... I bet he's happy he mostly dodged that bullet.
M.C. Swag
AG
"At least no one died"...lol best quote
Al Bula
AG
The horse face chick who kept financing this debacle is the wife of a hedge fund manager so they are already richer than god, Axe-style from Billions. No doubt this was just a fleeting amusement for her.

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/carola-jain?sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=carola%20jain
Carlo4
AG
Tobias Funke said:

The festival was said to be located "on a private island previously owned by Escobar", but is actually just a Sandals resort on an island with thousands of residents.

gigemJTH12
AG
imagine being that rich and settling down with THAT
Petrino1
The funny thing is I don't think Escobar ever owned that Norman's Cay island. Escobar's partner, Carlos Lehder (The movie Blow is about him), is the one who owned the island. Theres crazy stories out there about the wild orgies and parties that Lehder used to throw on the island. The other Escobar show on Netflix called Patron Del Mal has several scenes where Lehder is on Norman's Cay and some of his crazy antics.

Per Wikipedia:

As part of the Medelln Cartel, Lehder used the island as a transshipment base for smuggling cocaine into the United States. Lehder, before with his partner George Jung and later through Norman's Cay, is often credited with revolutionizing drug smuggling. The typical method of transporting small shipments, often carried by human drug mules, either through ingestion or in their luggage, onto commercial airlines, was surpassed by the use of small aircraft shipping entire loads of cocaine.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman%27s_Cay#cite_note-PBS1-1][1][/url]

The island became a location for partying. Carlos Toro remembers, "Norman's Cay was a playground. I have a vivid picture of being picked up in a Land Rover with the top down and naked women driving to come and welcome me from my airplane... And there we partied. And it was a Sodom and Gomorrah... drugs, sex, no police... you made the rules... and it was fun."[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman%27s_Cay#cite_note-3][3][/url]
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

imagine being that rich and settling down with THAT
neigh.
Al Bula
AG
ea1060 said:

Escobar's partner, Carlos Lehder (The movie Blow is about him)
Well technically it is more about George Jung than Carlos/Diego.
Petrino1
You're right, but Carlos Lehder's character has a huge role in the movie and is Jung's partner lol. He was the one who introduced Jung to the cocaine business and Escobar.
TresPuertas
AG
This documentary was awesome and brought up one of the great emotions I had from watching this thing go completely off the rails a year ago.

First off, I wish this Billy clown nothing but the worst In prison. All of the principals of this thing deserve a nightly turn down service by their local cell mate. Actually, what should really happen is someone to kidnap his little tubby ass and drop him in the middle of Exuma

And watching the doc I felt bad for all the attendees, until they started showing them. And then I realized, much like I did last year, that these people who are part of the social media culture and follow influencers are also the absolute worst

Also, one last edit, I HIGHLY suggest going back to page 1 of this thread after you finish the doc. So hilarious
gigemags-99
AG
Objective Aggie said:

ea1060 said:

As previously mentioned in this thread: Where was Ja Rule the day of the festival?? The guy was showing up everywhere in the documentary, then disappears the day of the festival.

If I'm not mistaken, on the Netflix doc they mentioned Ja was supposed to show up, but they told him not to come when it all went down.

This was amazing to watch. I remember when this happened, but I didn't know the extent of "false advertising".
Stupe
S
TresPuertas said:

And watching the doc I felt bad for all the attendees, until they started showing them. And then I realized, much like I did last year, that these people who are part of the social media culture and follow influencers are also the absolute worst
Yep. It's difficult to feel sorrow for them.
Carlo4
AG
gigemags-99 said:

Objective Aggie said:

ea1060 said:

If I'm not mistaken, on the Netflix doc they mentioned Ja was supposed to show up, but they told him not to come when it all went down.

This was amazing to watch. I remember when this happened, but I didn't know the extent of "false advertising".
I believe he prefers Mr. Rule, and not Ja.

Every time I heard "Ja", it was like nails on a chalkboard yet I laughed.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

Venmo me.

From the second page of the thread. After watching the Netflix and Hulu documentaries, it turns out this is barely satire.
M.C. Swag
AG
blindey said:

AggieSouth06 said:

Venmo me.

From the second page of the thread. After watching the Netflix and Hulu documentaries, it turns out this is barely satire.
We could call it 'Bonfyre'
redline248
AG
Man, I guess having kids really affects one's levels of awareness. Somehow I missed this whole ordeal when it went down (life has revolved around Nick jr the last 2+ years), but I can't wait to watch the doc.

This thread was awesome

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.