Fyre Fest debacle

111,523 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by West Point Aggie
Hickory High
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw the Internet Historian video about this on YouTube when it came out, but now seeing this Netflix doc....unbelievable.

This makes young Americans like myself look so bad, so out-of-touch. This is the type of thing in 200 years when people ask, "How did the United States empire fall?", people will point to this documentary. Truly sickening.
Ag Since 83
AG
That was amazing
Ag_07
AG
Just finished the Netflix doc (spoliers below)

The only people I feel sorry for are the Bahamian locals. That was toughto watch.

His gay event producer, the yoga instructor, and even his Fyre employees who gave their personal credit cards to him all knew what was going down and stuck with him until the end. They all deserve everything coming to them.

And how bout the millennial attendee who was awarded $5MM.
Liquid Wrench
Felt the same way about the locals.
Hickory High
AG
Ag_07 said:

His gay event producer, the yoga instructor, and even his Fyre employees who gave their personal credit cards to him all knew what was going down and stuck with him until the end. They all deserve everything coming to them.

Completely disagree with this. The "yoga instructor" was a capable marketer who was being hired to perform a task. That's how agencies work. They got screwed over just like everyone else. Obviously the locals got the worst of it (just like the rest of human history), but Ja Rule and Billy are the ones completely at fault here.
Ag_07
AG
When his warning email was ignored and responded to with condescending BS he should've just bolted and quit. Plus he said himself he was posting Instagram pics of life on the beach throughout the entire process.

Same with the gay fella.

That's why I don't feel sorry for them. Yeah they were retained to do a job but they could've quit at anytime and cut ties and walked away.
Hickory High
AG
I think we have the privilege of hindsight to be able to say that though. In the moment, they were just trusting that the guy who had APPEARED to have everything together for so long was still telling the truth.
Hello there
Ja Rule is a POS.

"That's not fraud. That's not fraud."
Redstone
AG
Obviously a lot of mistakes were made, and I'm not going to defend the event producers. It's just that there's an almost gleeful rush to heap scorn....

I wouldn't have gone, but there were a lot of people who believed in Billy's vision as a social media influencer. Sad situation all around. Hopefully some good can come of this.
FancyKetchup14
AG
That frank guy seems like one of the most punchable people I'd ever meet.
Corporal Punishment
AG
dude admits on camera he was willing and ready to blow a customs official to release the pallets of bottled water
I'd been happy to never know that.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just finished the Netflix doc (spoliers below)

The only people I feel sorry for are the Bahamian locals. That was toughto watch.

And how bout the millennial attendee who was awarded $5MM.

Awarded, and what that dude ever receives in hand, will be two very different things.
West Point Aggie
AG
So the Netflix or Hulu doc?
Redstone
AG
Obviously this would be documentary material. My chief concern here is the derision of social media influencers.
West Point Aggie
AG
Redstone said:

Obviously this would be documentary material. My chief concern here is the derision of social media influencers.

LOL @ people who think these "influencers" are worth one nanosecond of time!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Redstone said:

Anyone whose "job title" is "social media influencer" can go and eat a gun barrel for all I care.

HTH.
Redstone
AG
Influencers are not bad in and of themselves. Those like Billy McFarland who find themselves in over their head give all the others a bad name, just like in any emerging industry. For example, posters like myself who are Texags influencers have a higher obligation, and although we may stumble on occasion - I was sanctioned by the threat of Perma on Politics less than one year ago - by and large obligations are fulfilled.

Fyre didn't deliver, but let's not paint with broad brushstrokes.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I'd go to any festival Redstone told me to go to, no questions asked.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Al Bula
AG
Just watched this. I have to admit it was a very well done documentary that had me reeling for the amount of fraud and shadiness went down.

Then I wised up and realized it was produced by another greedy bunch of folks who I pay money to willingly.

This world is going to hell in hand basket.
Sex Panther
AG
Now this is some high quality Redstone
Ag_07
AG
RPM said:

Then I wised up and realized it was produced by another greedy bunch of folks who I pay money to willingly.

Hello there
Yeah, Netflix really should just give away all their content for free.
Redstone
AG
We have a responsibility to be careful in our posts - children could be reading. I didn't report, but just FYI
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Here to say that was one of the best Redstone posts in a minute. Vintage.
MookieBlaylock
AG
TCTTS got the good weed tonight and his Redstone character made up for his disaster on trump

Bravo pugsly

tk for tu juan
What was Chuck Schumer's press secretary doing in the penthouse after Billy was released on bail?
Redstone
AG
Thank you for turning the posts blue so quickly; however a lot of them across forums tend to get stuck in single digits. For those with the ability to star please do take them to a higher total.
nashvilleaggie11
I watched the Netflix one last night and holy sh*******t it was awesome. I have been in the music industry for over a decade so while I know this is interesting to any and everyone, it was especially fascinating to me. So many WTF moments. I am actually somewhat involved in a project right now that Andy King (gay older guy) is a part of...had NO idea he was involved in this mess... Really interesting stuff...
GiveEmHellBill
AG
tk for tu juan said:

What was Chuck Schumer's press secretary doing in the penthouse after Billy was released on bail?

Oh my God that was embarrassing. I loved how he kept telling Billy not to mention him or use his name....while he was being filmed.

Schumer must love that his name got dragged into this.
MW03
AG
Sex Panther said:

Now this is some high quality Redstone

Peak Redstone
Duncan Idaho
They probably could have pulled it off if they stayed the course with the cruise ship.
ATM9000
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

They probably could have pulled it off if they stayed the course with the cruise ship.

Meh... sounds like they were broke, had no credible payment logistics or plumbing for an actual venue putting aside the cruise ship accommodations.
TriAg2010
AG
I did enjoy the commentary from the "Social Media Experts" telling us about the infinite reach of social media exploited by the Fyre Fest organizers. I don't know anyone who knew of this festival until after it became a humanitarian disaster. Neither did anyone on Page 1 apparently. It's like they drew from one well of snake oil salesmen to bash another snake oil salesman.
Claude!
Music, reality
Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference
But we as entertainers
Have a responsibility to these kids... Psych!
double aught
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Well they didn't pay any of the music acts, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.