Fyre Fest debacle

111,525 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by West Point Aggie
20ag07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't inagine a full length documentary lives up, but that trailer was fantastic. It's a shame it's taken this long to get to air.
SidetrackAg
AG
Just read the entire thread. Awesome!
Bunk Moreland
Boss move Hulu.
Hello there
Guess Hulu was desperate for a victory, lol.
Sex Panther
AG
I'll take all the Fyre Fest I can get
Duncan Idaho
Will definitely torrent
Tobias Funke
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Will definitely torrent

Lolpoor
Liquid Wrench
I would like to see interviews with the people who booked their trips with no questions asked.
Bunk Moreland
ChiliBeans said:

I would like to see interviews with the people who booked their trips with no questions asked.

When you hear Ja is gonna be somewhere, you book first and ask questions later.
permabull
AG
Tobias Funke
AG
Watching it now- so fascinating. I can't believe Billy agreed to be interviewed for this. He is just absolutely brainless
Scott Sterlings Face
AG
hypeiv said:

Just as a follow up to my original comment two years ago:

This show happen in Frisco the same year as this failed event and tickets were not hard to get. Guess they should have hired some IG models and set up some tents.

Man this was an awesome event. 311 and Offspring stole the show.
West Point Aggie
AG
I look forward to seeing BOTH the Netflix and Hulu docs...

15 Jan: The Hulu one was really good...reminds me of what a really shady cluster this was...
aggietony2010
AG
The Hulu one was pretty solid. A couple random shots at Trump that just didn't really fit. It really comes across like they finished the doc, looked at a checklist of how to appeal to millennials and went, "oh ****, we forgot to take a shot at Trump" and stuck them in.

Other than that, it was very well done. Had interviews with many of the main players/victims. I hadn't really followed the story since the first week or so, and the scale of the screw up/deception is impressive.
tysker
AG
Quote:

311 and Offspring stole the show.
Thats a sentence I never thought I would read...
Bunk Moreland
say no wayyyya no way ay ay ay
Tobias Funke
AG
aggietony2010 said:

The Hulu one was pretty solid. A couple random shots at Trump that just didn't really fit. It really comes across like they finished the doc, looked at a checklist of how to appeal to millennials and went, "oh ****, we forgot to take a shot at Trump" and stuck them in.

Other than that, it was very well done. Had interviews with many of the main players/victims. I hadn't really followed the story since the first week or so, and the scale of the screw up/deception is impressive.

Agreed, that was obnoxious
spadilly
S
Bunk Moreland
Tobias Funke said:

aggietony2010 said:

First reference I was fine with. So many moron millennials (friends of mine included) were acting like the world was over after the election and if you live your life thru social media then I can see that angst having a 'comment on the culture' that led to this want to go find utopia and acid at a festival.

The 2nd reference comparing him to McFarland and saying he scams people every day in the west wing was ****ing bizarre and so weirdly placed.

But overall this doc was exactly what I wanted. And I want more.

I echo the comment that I can't believe that moron agreed to be interviewed for this.
aggietony2010
AG
Agreed on the second one being the more forced of the two. The first one did fit with the "OMG the world is ending let's escape to the bahamas" vibe.

And he's a complete idiot to be interviewed. Something tells me the source material for this is going to make its way into a courtroom before it is all said and done.
Silky Johnston
Thought the Hulu doc was pretty good. At the end they say something about the F Jerry people producing their own documentary which I assume is referring to the Netflix doc. Wonder which angle the Netflix doc will take and how it differs from the Hulu version.
Bunk Moreland
Silky Johnston said:

Thought the Hulu doc was pretty good. At the end they say something about the F Jerry people producing their own documentary which I assume is referring to the Netflix doc. Wonder which angle the Netflix doc will take and how it differs from the Hulu version.

Yeah I saw that. Also how ****ing pathetic...FJerry helps execute this fraud and hides behind 'we were just hired to do marketing' and then immediately capitalizes on its downfall too.

So many pretentious dbags involved. And the closer they all were, every last one of em knew it was all a load of *****
LawHall88
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Tobias Funke said:

aggietony2010 said:

First reference I was fine with. So many moron millennials (friends of mine included) were acting like the world was over after the election and if you live your life thru social media then I can see that angst having a 'comment on the culture' that led to this want to go find utopia and acid at a festival.

The 2nd reference comparing him to McFarland and saying he scams people every day in the west wing was ****ing bizarre and so weirdly placed.

But overall this doc was exactly what I wanted. And I want more.

I echo the comment that I can't believe that moron agreed to be interviewed for this.
Well he was paid ... something:

Quote:

"We were aware of [the Hulu production] because we were supposed to film Billy McFarland for an interview," says Smith. "He told us that they were offering $250,000 for an interview. He asked us if we would pay him $125,000. And after spending time with so many people who had such a negative impact on their lives from their experience on Fyre, it felt particularly wrong to us for him to be benefiting. It was a difficult decision but we had to walk away for that reason. So then he came back and asked if we would do it for $100,000 in cash. And we still said this wasn't something that was going to work for us."

Reached for comment, Fyre Fraud director Jenner Furst, who codirected the film with his creative partner, Julia Willoughby Nason, admitted that the production paid McFarland for licensed behind-the-scenes footage and consent to an eight-hour interview. As for the amount paid to McFarland, he emphatically denied the $250,000 figure.

"I can't tell you the amount," he said, "but what I can tell you is that if you printed [$250,000], that would be a lie. That was not the amount. It was less than that. I don't know why Chris [Smith] is quoting him that way. We both made a film about the same person. We know the person is a compulsive liar."
https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/1/15/18183308/fyre-festival-documentary-netflix-hulu-billy-mcfarland-pay
Liquid Wrench

*shamelessly stolen from https://www.reddit.com/r/nathanforyou/
Hello there
Sex Panther said:

Liquid Wrench
Sorry SP. Just saw it posted again today. I'm obviously too addled to remember it from earlier on this thread.

*and I see I even blue starred that post
Stupe
S
A few things that I learned watching that:

• That dude is a pathological liar and actually believes his own lies
  • People that fit the FOMO profile and/or ask "how high" when an internet influencer says "jump" are not easy to feel sorry for. Not because they have money, but because they are morons to be so easily persuaded. A fool and his money......
  • I do feel bad for the people on the island and the contractors that got hosed
  • Ja Rule is full of crap and I really hope that he has to pay those people back
  • Ja Rule and Jerry Media probably got nervous after watching that documentary
Hello there
12 minutes in and this is already highly entertaining. Best quote so far:

"We're selling a pipe dream to the average loser."
GiveEmHellBill
AG
This guy.....oh my God, this guy.

Okay, so you're out on bail for massive fraud. What do you do? You start a new "company" that offers tickets to high-profile events that don't sell tickets. The Met Gala and the Victoria's Secret Fashion show are invitation only events so you can't offer All-Access VIP passes to them.

And who do you try to sell them to? How about using the email list of the Frye Fest ticket buyers? You know, the people you just scammed and are suing you?

AND, you bring friends over while you're committing this new fraud and you ask one of them to film it. Because why, exactly?

This guy has serious mental problems.

I just watched both, and I have to say I preferred the Netflix version because it spent more time going into the chaos leading up to the event. Hulu devoting so much time to McFarland interviews were not that interesting when you know ahead of time that every word he's saying is a lie.

And trying to tie millenial's vacuous lifestyles with Trump being in the White House was eye-rollingly bad. Just utterly pointless to include.
Silky Johnston
I haven't seen the Netflix version yet, but I agree with everyone on the Hulu Trump scenes. I was watching fully expecting it to be a non-issue and chalked it up to Texags just overreacting, but it really is that bad. Totally random and has nothing to do with anything.
Anti-taxxer
AG
I have been waiting for weeks - WEEKS - for this Netflix doc. It is just as amazing as I anticipated.
20ag07
Watched both. Much more entertained by the Netflix version. Amazingly entertaining, and such a snapshot of 2017 culture. The ridiculousness on every level is just wildly entertaining.
Liquid Wrench
Watched the Netflix version. Just insane how experienced investors and promoters went along with this guy and his band of kids with social media accounts.

So did Ja just get off scot free?
20ag07
Are we sure he had "experienced investors" rather than "people familiar with throwing big money at things and hoping for the best"?

And the promoters apparently did a phenomenal job at doing what they were supposed to do....getting paid (????if they even did) to promote. Realism is never in their job description.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.